What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Forced to do Kobali missions?

Comments

• Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,395 Community Moderator
    edited May 2018
    Yes, indeed. This thread has gotten about as far off topic as it can get while barely keeping a toe on the original premise.

Qsn3vFp.png
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,099 Community Moderator
    I have a feeling that ANY time the Kobali are brought up, a morality debate ensues.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    yakodymyakodym Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    Back to topic - Honestly I find it quite strange how some missions are still unskippable in the first place, when newer ones can be skipped without issues. I used to think it's due to some legal contracts regarding guest-star appearances or what not, but that wouldn't explain why it now seems quite random...
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    The morality debate is the most fascinating thing about it. Four out of five times, people who hate the Kobali the most are the ones who can't or won't attempt to see things through anything other than their human lens. It really highlights who was paying attention to Star Trek and who wasn't. And yet, that doesn't necessarily mean those people are wrong - though of narrow view, the cultural importance of concepts such as bodily autonomy after death and the philosophical question of who really comes back when a dead body (that is to say, all brain function ceased, whoever was in there is objectively gone) is reanimated by the process of Kobalification are not inherently invalid. For instance, I disagree with starswordc's insinuation that the recycling of a corpse is tantamount to grape, but that doesn't mean either of us is right or wrong, merely that we place different value on the corpse and whatever rights we think it has.

But I've already gone on too much.

On topic, I actually like the Kobali missions. I do agree the respawn rate is a touch excessive, but a properly kitted out player/away team can typically survive most inopportune respawns pretty handily.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    The Delta Arc is the low point of STO.. hands down.

The Kobali ground missions are the lowest point of the worst arc in STO.

I can't even begin to describe how much I hate doing these missions, there is nothing in STO that I hate more.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    Ah, the Kobali arc ... can't say I'm a fan myself. I won't comment on the morality of the matter, but I've plenty to say on the tedium! XD I've ran through it with my AOY toon, and I can't say I'm looking forward to seeing it all again. x.x And I saw my share of "Dust to Dust" back when it was a featured mission, enough to where I'd be happy to never see it again.
    avoozuul wrote: »
    The only mission arcs I hate being forced to do is Future Proof and Yesterday's War.

I do like those, though I will say I'm less than pleased with the way elements of "Yesterday's War" are implemented.

Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,198 Arc User
    Ah, the Kobali arc ... can't say I'm a fan myself. I won't comment on the morality of the matter, but I've plenty to say on the tedium! XD I've ran through it with my AOY toon, and I can't say I'm looking forward to seeing it all again. x.x And I saw my share of "Dust to Dust" back when it was a featured mission, enough to where I'd be happy to never see it again.
    avoozuul wrote: »
    The only mission arcs I hate being forced to do is Future Proof and Yesterday's War.

I do like those, though I will say I'm less than pleased with the way elements of "Yesterday's War" are implemented.
    I didn't say I hate those, the problem is the skip button is not available on most of them unlike the other arcs, when doing a new toon and wanting to do the later missions you still have to do them beforehand. Ragnarock is too tedious for me to want to redo on multiple toon.

• Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    > @tyler002 said:
    > I think we're going a bit off topic... the thread was about skipping the arc, not the morality of the situation.

Well, I can kinda understand that considering it's the immorality of the situation that makes the OP want to skip it:

> @lexusk19 said:
    > Why are we forced to do the Kobali ground missions? Im lvl 60 and trying to skip the the Iconian war arc, but am stuck playing the Kobali ground stuff... I dont care about them at all, wish the Vaadwaur would wipe them all out. >.>

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EightDeadlyWords
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I'm pretty sure I have skipped the Kobali ground missions on several of my alts.

If you complete 'The Kobali Front' which consists of simply talking to the NPC, that should give you the mission 'Kobali Crisis Act 1' which should be skippable.

I have several alts that completed the Delta Arc without doing those missions. When I look back through their journal, all the Delta missions have the reply option except for the 3 ground missions which have a 'hail' option because I never did them.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,990 Arc User
    I tend only to do that last two parts of Act III, the rest is meh
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
      edited May 2018
      I'm pretty sure I have skipped the Kobali ground missions on several of my alts.

If you complete 'The Kobali Front' which consists of simply talking to the NPC, that should give you the mission 'Kobali Crisis Act 1' which should be skippable.

I have several alts that completed the Delta Arc without doing those missions. When I look back through their journal, all the Delta missions have the reply option except for the 3 ground missions which have a 'hail' option because I never did them.

Yep, you can skip all but Kobali Front and obviously the intro mission Escalation. After that you can skip right to the Iconian War.
    • Options
      postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
      I remember when delta grinding was new you had the first section of ground missions end at a camp but didnt get allowed to use the transmat pad so when the doctor pestered you for help it dragged you away and were forced to slog through the excessive spawns just to resume the grind many levels (& beta quad patrols) later.

I avoid that whole arc like the plague because of how poorly conceived the whole "biggest ever" expansion was with not enough content to hit the new cap by story never mind the 100+ levels brought in by the specs. Probably why the new gamma cap is only 65.
    • Options
      starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
      > @jexsamx said:
      > The morality debate is the most fascinating thing about it. Four out of five times, people who hate the Kobali the most are the ones who can't or won't attempt to see things through anything other than their human lens. It really highlights who was paying attention to Star Trek and who wasn't. And yet, that doesn't necessarily mean those people are wrong - though of narrow view, the cultural importance of concepts such as bodily autonomy after death and the philosophical question of who really comes back when a dead body (that is to say, all brain function ceased, whoever was in there is objectively gone) is reanimated by the process of Kobalification are not inherently invalid. For instance, I disagree with starswordc's insinuation that the recycling of a corpse is tantamount to grape, but that doesn't mean either of us is right or wrong, merely that we place different value on the corpse and whatever rights we think it has.
      >
      > But I've already gone on too much.

The thing is I think cultural relativism has its limits. It's one thing if the weird stuff is innocuous or at worst hurts only themselves. Like if it's your culture to wear a duck on your head... Well, I'm not going to lie, I'll probably laugh at you when the duck flies away or poops down the back of your neck. But the thing is you're not hurting anything except your dry-cleaning bill by doing it (the duck gave as good as it got :tongue:). But if your culture is that you think you have a god-given right to take whatever you want from the guy next door without consequence, we're gonna have problems.

And the thing is, in this particular case it's not just postmortem bodily autonomy, it's bodily autonomy PERIOD, due to the simple fact that by being brought back the individual becomes capable of expressing their opinion on the subject. And the Kobali seem to think anybody who rejects them is delusional and in need of being dragged back home for reeducation at gunpoint.
      "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
      — Sabaton, "Great War"
      VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    • Options
      markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
      Then you have to consider what would likely happen if you DIDN'T let the Kobali do their thing with these Vaadwaur. It probably involves shooting them. Then they're dead, and may or may not be suitable for zombie-time.
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    • Options
      ashlotteashlotte Member Posts: 316 Arc User
      edited May 2018
      YBWyACJ.png
      Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    • Options
      yakodymyakodym Member Posts: 362 Arc User
      Just reanimating dead bodies by itself would be okay in my book - The Kobali just needed a bit of common sense to realize that maybe asking first would be nice. It is also my understanding that it is not common to have memories of the previous life after the transition. If rare enough, it would be understandable for the Kobali to treat it as something that deviates from the norm (so like a mental illness of sorts), but even that is something they could work on, as a culture.

Basically, as long as they would only use bodies from willing donors (or through a cooperation with some other race) and stopped dismissing the residual personalities in some of their newly converted, giving them proper personal space and freedom to figure things out, they wouldn't invite nearly as much conflict.

Or, you know, they could use vat-grown bodies and avoid any of those conflicts altogether. But I guess that would be too easy :smiley:
    • Options
      rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,099 Community Moderator
      If I remember correctly, the Kobali were forced into reanimating the bodies of the dead because of a virus they accidentially created in their distant past. Essentially they couldn't reproduce on their own. Now they are pretty much dependant on the Rebirth process.

Is it possible that working with the Alliance may lead to the means to reverse this? Possibly. While there will be major pushback over such a significant change to their culture, the possibility exists that the Kobali may someday not have to do that anymore.

As for memories of the past life... so far it seems like its more common with Kobali who were once human. Something about humans doesn't play well with the Rebirth process. While it works, memories remain intact.
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    • Options
      tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
      I could have swore the Kobali officer said their ancestors "meddled with forces they shouldn't have", or something along those lines.

Genetic engineering for transhumanist reasons is illegal, the Federation uses it all the time for medical purposes. Not that they should even need to in this case, a race that can change one species to another should already be capable of removing whatever flaw originally screwed up their reproduction.
      tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
    • Options
      tyler002 wrote: »
      Not that they should even need to in this case, a race that can change one species to another should already be capable of removing whatever flaw originally screwed up their reproduction.

The problem with that is... its possible that the Kobali CAN'T because they're either unable to or the cause is so buried or something...
      Getting fresh eyes on it might help. Also... it could also be tied to their Rebirth process, which... is a pretty deeply ingrained part of their culture. For all we know the very virus they use to reanimate the dead... is a variation of what neutered them in the first place. We don't really know for sure.
    • Options
      jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
      > @jexsamx said:
      > The morality debate is the most fascinating thing about it. Four out of five times, people who hate the Kobali the most are the ones who can't or won't attempt to see things through anything other than their human lens. It really highlights who was paying attention to Star Trek and who wasn't. And yet, that doesn't necessarily mean those people are wrong - though of narrow view, the cultural importance of concepts such as bodily autonomy after death and the philosophical question of who really comes back when a dead body (that is to say, all brain function ceased, whoever was in there is objectively gone) is reanimated by the process of Kobalification are not inherently invalid. For instance, I disagree with starswordc's insinuation that the recycling of a corpse is tantamount to grape, but that doesn't mean either of us is right or wrong, merely that we place different value on the corpse and whatever rights we think it has.
      >
      > But I've already gone on too much.
      >
      > On topic, I actually like the Kobali missions. I do agree the respawn rate is a touch excessive, but a properly kitted out player/away team can typically survive most inopportune respawns pretty handily.

So in other words, humans (and others) should let the Kobali desecrate the corpses of their loved ones because Political Correctness? Nonsense. As far as the Varduaar in stasis, what the Kobali are doing wouldn't be tolerated if they were Feds....and I shudder to think what would happen if they were Klingon or Romulan.
    • Options
      BOFFs opening fire and aggroing mobs does not help, too many times I've been done in like that
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      • Options
        markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
        yakodym wrote: »
        Or, you know, they could use vat-grown bodies and avoid any of those conflicts altogether. But I guess that would be too easy :smiley:
        Or why not just clone Kobali? I mean if you're going the grown-in-a-tank route why use half-measures?
        rattler2 wrote: »
        If I remember correctly, the Kobali were forced into reanimating the bodies of the dead because of a virus they accidentially created in their distant past. Essentially they couldn't reproduce on their own. Now they are pretty much dependant on the Rebirth process.
        Which is one of those sci-fi things that'll probably NEVER get explained because it's dumb and no possible explanation will make sense.
        As for memories of the past life... so far it seems like its more common with Kobali who were once human. Something about humans doesn't play well with the Rebirth process. While it works, memories remain intact.
        Apparently human brains are weird or something.
        -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
        My character Tsin'xing
        Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
      • Options
        captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
        edited May 2018
        lexusk19 wrote: »
        Why are we forced to do the Kobali ground missions? Im lvl 60 and trying to skip the the Iconian war arc, but am stuck playing the Kobali ground stuff... I dont care about them at all, wish the Vaadwaur would wipe them all out. >.>

Have to agree with you on this one, pal! I would much prefer to have an option to skip all battlezone areas, if nothing else at least after the first time that you play through those damned things. I don't mind repetitive trips through much of the story content in this game and have over a dozen lvl 60 characters to prove it; but the battlezone areas are frankly a pain in the TRIBBLE.
      • Options
        trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
        lexusk19 wrote: »
        Why are we forced to do the Kobali ground missions? Im lvl 60 and trying to skip the the Iconian war arc, but am stuck playing the Kobali ground stuff... I dont care about them at all, wish the Vaadwaur would wipe them all out. >.>

The only thing I hate about the Kobali ground missions is that I agree with the Vaadwaur. I would rather kill the Kobali than help them...
        Dahar Master Qor'aS
      • Options
        jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
        What's ironic really is that humans keeping their memories after Kobalification would actually be a selling point in a campaign to get volunteers......lots of folks would consider looking like a Kobali a small price to pay to have a second lifetime. Of course, they might not be interested in adopting Kobali culture.......
      • Options
        I'd evict the Kobali off their planet and hand the world over to the Vaadwuar. The Kobali would be left with nothing and exposed to the entire quadrant. Them being evicted would be an example to others
        NMXb2ph.png
        This discussion has been closed.