test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Romance element

vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
Should STO put in a romance element similar to SWTOR? it could be a dil sink buying the romance favors, give opportunity to use Risa some more (romantic getaway) and add content thats not we comein peace shoot to kill.
Spock.jpg

Romance element 99 votes

Yes, my captain needs some loving
23%
talonxvmattjohnsonvagaevsmandraognmustrumridcully0reyan01meimeitooseriousdavejunglestreakercerritourugvoyagerwaskingkorithian1theraven2378richyrich1991tyler002davefenestratordiewesleydie11cyrussasagimecaldarkipstermick 23 votes
No, Captains are married to thier ships
57%
ikonn#1068misterperseusscififan78oakbarrelsophlogimomirrorchaosbaddmoonrizincrypticarmsmanisthissciencezarato4218azrael605seaofsorrowsspacehermitjbmonroetera117doe#7909crashdragontc10bsirsitsalotmarkhawkmannimbull 57 votes
Yes! Give our captains romance, including same - sex
19%
cellanoid#1655swamarianlexusk19kodachikunopaarethlordgyorkahless2001scrooge69chozoelder2ndmneme0heavensrungijsjansovereign010billmorgan3gerpdut53sirmaydayuliwitnessstardestroyer3shadowwraith#9264 19 votes

Comments

• seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    Sure, why not. Though I doubt something as eloborate as in TOR is ever going to happen.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    Is Kurland married?
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    Oh Boy!

y7b4o.jpg​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Don't really care and options 1 and 3 are pretty much the same.

And the game doesn't need another dil sink even a gimmicky one like buying confetti, ec or latinum would better suit the fluff items.

Given how wobbly the writing can be in STO I kind of doubt it would amount to anything beyond painfully cheesey. Romance would have far too many variables and episodes can barely cope with a simple thing like factional or species differences cropping up.
    How many romulans would want to get romantically involved with tovan "dude where's my sister" khev?
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    I suppose the C-Store could start selling mail-order brides and grooms. They could be the first boffs to talk to you and tell you how manly or womanly you look wading through the blood and charred corpses of your enemies.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    "Nice shot, honey! You *totally* killed him dead!"
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    it would be hard to do.. fun, but hard and probably not a money maker for Cryptic, which is the bottom line
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    It isn't Star Romance Online, it is Star Trek Online. I can't ever see these devs stopping to consider anything but more mass murder per mission.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Cryptic has absolutely zero experience with this. At least SWTOR is created by Bioware which is known for adding romance into their games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age. If I remember correctly, Knights of the Old Republic had romance options in it. In order for it to work in STO, we would need more characters like Tovan Khev. Where we can't get rid of them even if we want to.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    That would require a lot more story interaction with BOffs or other characters in STO.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    If this would be as horrible as in SWTOR...no way!

KirkAndLadyGorn.jpg​​
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,449 Arc User
    Leave it out of this game. If people want that, there is Second Life for all your virtual romantic needs.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,302 Community Moderator
    I'd rather have the Nemesis System from Champions Online.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    I only did the romance stuff for the achievement then never bothered again :D
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      I'd rather have the Nemesis System from Champions Online.

Hm... might be interesting having to deal with Mirror Captain Krystal Jade of the ISS Lexington...
      Question is... would she be loyal to Leeta or the Emperor?
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User

KirkAndLadyGorn.jpg​​

Looking for the new STO season, "Gorn with the Wind."
      Green people don't have to be.... little.
    • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
      nimbull wrote: »

KirkAndLadyGorn.jpg​​

Looking for the new STO season, "Gorn with the Wind."

please, keep ESD chat off the forum! xDD
      T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
      Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
      Honestly... unless its built in from the start... any kind of romance system they put in will always feel tacked on and kinda meh. The reason it works in Bioware games is because they integrate it in right off the bat and it can fit into the story they are wanting to tell. For example... maybe a female Revan falls in love with Carth as they travel on their quest to stop Malak. That works.

THIS far into STO... I don't see any way to integrate it.
    • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
      Uh.... Do I want a side of "romance" with my Star Trek???
      A poll I am not sure how to answer. LOL!

I can't imagine everyone's idea of "romance" runs the same, uh, course.
      "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
      I'm guessing the OP was aiming more at the romantic direction than something like saints row 4 and that immortal line

"hey kinzi wanna...."
    • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
      edited May 2018
      Should STO put in a romance element similar to SWTOR? it could be a dil sink buying the romance favors, give opportunity to use Risa some more (romantic getaway) and add content thats not we comein peace shoot to kill.

"Other."

It's not that I'm opposed to player/NPC romances in principle, I'm just not in favor of it for STO specifically. SWTOR is fundamentally BioWare single-player RPG systems ported to an MMO: its party members actually have distinct in-universe personalities and stories of their own, just like party members in Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Knights of the Old Republic, and so on.

When STO tried that, the result was Tovan Khev. The backlash from that -- which I blame on STO previously giving players full customization of their senior staff -- guaranteed there will be no more boffs with actual story arcs or developer-defined personalities. Hence, the Klingon story boffs (K'Gan, Ch'gren) and post-S8 Fed boffs (Elisa Flores) stop having characterization after the tutorial is over.

That having been said, I already RP Kanril Eleya (my forum avatar) as being married to her operations officer.
      "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
      — Sabaton, "Great War"
      VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
      How would you implement it for Vulcans? Andorians? Rigelians? Denobulans? Any of a hundred other seriously freaky species? I'm not opposed to the idea in principle, but it seems to me the implementation would be far more trouble than it's worth.
      8b6YIel.png?1
    • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,111 Arc User
      edited May 2018
      QNxkKGV.png
      Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
      Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
      TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
      PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
      rattler2 wrote: »
      That would require a lot more story interaction with BOffs or other characters in STO.

Yeah, this game doesn't have nearly the personal narrative that SWTOR has with it's characters, companions, and story NPCs.

(and yeah, my Twilek smuggler romanced flirted her way through every storyline she could. But that just wouldn't work in this game.)
    • locutusofcactuslocutusofcactus Member Posts: 651 Arc User
      A big No from me. Fine how it is.

However, romantic content can be created in the foundry. I know it would just be an episode and not a permanent option but romance sometimes is a fling anyway.
      kiralyn wrote: »
      (and yeah, my Twilek smuggler romanced flirted her way through every storyline she could. But that just wouldn't work in this game.)

If I still played, my human redhead probably would have romanced someone too on her way through the story. Or... the story that isn't behind a paywall anyways.
    • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
      I don't need any pretend love in videos games, I didn't even bother with the romance element in the Mass Effect games.
    • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
      No comment.

(See. Cryptic's playthrough of Apex [AEI])
      Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
      Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
      Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    This discussion has been closed.