test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Griefing via Harassment report - How should I handle this case?

casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
I've been encountering a specific user that attempted to scam me and other users multiple times. Upon calling him out on it, I've been threatened on a channel with a harassment report, which I found lacking any reason, followed by a mail consisting into a Harrasment warning from the CS.

I've filed a ticket for further clarification from the CS as a first, expected and normal action.

I'd like to understand better if preventing an user from scamming others or refusing to play with him constitutes harrasment and if simply a pack of trolls can form a coalition and throw in harassment reports to grief single users?

Also I'd like to remind to new users to remain aware and vigilant on their trades and purchases, especially when that comes via private practices or other means than the intended exchange.

Thanks and looking forward to your input.

Comments

• ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    Basically, your best option in such a case of figure is simply to ignore whatever rot-bag is trying to scam/swindle you, silently blacklist him, and fill a GM report. At any rate, do not try to take the law in your hands or call him out on it directly.
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    Let the GM deal with it, no point risking your account.
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
      Probably depends on how you called them out as that might be interpreted as harassing by the folk that matter, those that review the chat logs to see what happened.

General statement about double checking items in face to face trades would be a massive stretch to justify whereas directed at an individual multiple times in a short space of time could be.

Any big blustery reaction from a generalised statement probably means they've got something to be guilty about unless their oversensitive about what people put in chat.
    • casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
      Well, I'm waiting on the CS investigation taking place. I really don't know how much I'm in the wrong here, but until the investigations conclude and I get an official answer, it's a pending situation.
    • roswell51roswell51 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
      edited April 2018
      It happened to me only once when I'm new to Star Trek online, I totally ignored it because I know it's scam and harassment at the same time. This guy is doing anything by all means of stealing it from people, it's extremely dishonest. For me I hate scammers and I can not wait for the team to banish those villains who break arc game rules.
    • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
      casualsto wrote: »
      I've been encountering a specific user that attempted to scam me and other users multiple times. Upon calling him out on it, I've been threatened on a channel with a harassment report, which I found lacking any reason, followed by a mail consisting into a Harrasment warning from the CS.

I've filed a ticket for further clarification from the CS as a first, expected and normal action.

I'd like to understand better if preventing an user from scamming others or refusing to play with him constitutes harrasment and if simply a pack of trolls can form a coalition and throw in harassment reports to grief single users?

Also I'd like to remind to new users to remain aware and vigilant on their trades and purchases, especially when that comes via private practices or other means than the intended exchange.

Thanks and looking forward to your input.

When a case like this happens, CS has very specific guidelines on what is and isn't appropriate and the need to investigate the matter. if they don't find any evidence at all? then they shouldn't be giving you any warning and they are liable for false warning.

But the fact of the matter is that there is always three sides to any story; your opinion, their opinion and the truth. so i don't actually know what actually happened to have any say on the matter.
      T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
      Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
      Put the offending person on your Ignore list and move on. Warn others when and where you can but don't go out of your own way to do so. There are always people in this game and other MMOs like this person. The odds of them being censured for such behavior are very, very long. While it would be satisfying to put such a person in their place once and for all, the ability to do so is not worth the cost. As to the GMs and CS actually doing anything about this situation, I'd be really surprised to see such.

You play STO for enjoyment and entertainment. Then this happens. Don't feed the trolls, man. Just keep playing STO.
      A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
    • casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
      The issue has been resolved. Also the scammer seems to be pretty popular and he tries overpricing newbies. Besides that, as I've put the poor soul on ignore, another public screenshot of him scamming someone else was posted by some random dude in the zone chat. I've checked the screenshot and displayed it to the GM.

I've seen that the scammer has a hard time with the public opinion, so the reporting does come out of a place of both frustration and inability to cope with multiple stuff from this game.