test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Victory is Life Brings the Level Cap to 65

Comments

• where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Are these are gonna be Purple DOFFs or better???
    Please not dupes of the ones from Colonization clusters or Fleet???

Like, Quartermaster would be nice on the KDF side. <--hint, hint
    Level 64 Elite Gamma Quadrant Duty Officers

Multiple high-quality Duty Officers, direct from the Gamma Quadrant. Fill your roster with members of the alien species seen on-screen in episodes of ST:DS9.

Also on this:
    I've updated the blog:

"Any existing Specialization XP you have earned above level 60 – progression you currently have earned toward a Specialization Point – will be immediately converted to a free specialization point for your account. This means that anyone who's earned any XP beyond 60 will earn a specialization point right at the start."

I am taking this to mean that in order to have a clean break at the stop of accumulation of Specialization points you have to give us a full point at the switch back to Experience Points. Wow....useful and interesting info.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • archbetharchbeth Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    That was a really cool update. I don't often see something that feels... "transparent," I guess the buzzword is. Nice.

(I would still really love a way to buy ship upgrades for just plain old level 1 ships, so you can keep on patching your T'Liss or Miranda and strapping bigger weapons on the hull or over-engineering your warp drive. Add a few console slots, boost Hull now and again, that kind of thing. *grin* I suppose you might have to do it per-ship, though... but I could live with that as an incremental goodie! )
  • ffttfftt Member Posts: 715 Arc User
    varthelm wrote: »
    Sounds like if you're already poured points in to an item past hitting MkXIV (upgrading rarity and such), you'll get credit for that effort and perhaps an immediate jump of an item to MkXV if I am reading this correct? That sounds very fair if so...

My assumption was that existing tech points (points already present is the phrasing of the blog) in an object that is already MkXIV can be used, not necessarily every tech point that was ever used getting a MkXIV to epic quality. So only those excess TPs listed on my equipment in the tool tip, the carryover from the last time I used the upgrade button, will be used going to MkXV. The only immediate jump I would expect is if there were a huge amount of TPs already listed in the equipment. I've always stopped right at getting epic so I have no idea how many TPs may accumulate after that.
    ...Also, looking for the answer regarding keyring upgrade to full. Items that players have purchased that upgrade for should also go straight to MkXV imo. That may already be the plan.

I surely wouldn't count on that, but maybe those ultimate upgrades add a HUGE excess of tech points. Since I've never used one I can't tell.
  • nickarcher404nickarcher404 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    jcsww wrote: »
    ichaerus1 wrote: »
    With a couple of the perks for subscribing being handed to F2Pers soon, any idea if there will be any new perks/updates for subscribers/LTS players? As far as I know, one of the perks doesn't even work(the one for the forum).

PWE seems to think we have already had our monies worth. I wouldn't be opposed to a second tier only available to those who have already purchased a lifetime subscribion.

Lifer Tier 2 could include:

5 free keys a month stipend.
    A new unique playable race.
    Double the current Dilithium refinement cap per day.
    Another lifer badge and and Veteran outfit.
    Double the current Energy Credit per character and account cap.
    A new lifer only Captain's Table station inside of the Wormhole.
    A new Veteran ship.
    New lifer Bridge and interior.
    New lifer title.
    More inventory, bank, and account bank slots.

Personally, I'd be all in if the perks included some Section 31 stuff.

Section 31 hull type.
    Section 31 black badges and Discovery Section 31 uniform.
    Section 31 Veteran ship.
    Luther Sloan, Daniels, or another Section 31 Bridge Officer.
    Section 31 themed lifer Captain's Table.
    Access to gear with a special cosmetic look for Section 31.
    A Section 31 themed Bridge and interior.
    New title: "Above the law!"
    Visual slot special effect shield, engine, and deflector items.

I'd put out another $200 for all of this and some other non-game breaking fluff.

^^^ ALL OF THIS PLEASE!!!! As a Lifer right now, this would completely revitalize my existing account and characters, not to mention make me a very happy camper! I just hope we get a more flushed out Cardassian experience now that they have been announced. If we can get our new Cardassian playables to start at level 60 like the new Jem'Hadar character, that would be really fun.
  • jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    What about mission rewards. Now that you can upgrade gear to MK15 isn't it time to upgrade mission rewards to MK13?
  • asdfjkadfjkasfasdfjkadfjkasf Member Posts: 345 Media Corps
    I think a T5U Upgrade token should be given at 65 as well, just to help out players who might not have as wide of selection, or 1 Fleet Ship Module (bound), help boost that collection!
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    I must say, the Experience Point Requirement should have an extra digit added to it. One set of Admiralty is often enough to gain 1 to 2 Specialization Points. At that rate, going from Level 60 to Level 65 will only take as long as logging in and clearing out the Admiralty Rewards from the day before. So.... six seconds, give or take? You should really consider increasing the Experience Requirement.
    Post edited by jslyn on
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    ichaerus1 wrote: »
    With a couple of the perks for subscribing being handed to F2Pers soon, any idea if there will be any new perks/updates for subscribers/LTS players? As far as I know, one of the perks doesn't even work(the one for the forum).

PWE seems to think we have already had our monies worth. I wouldn't be opposed to a second tier only available to those who have already purchased a lifetime subscribion.

A new Veteran ship.
    New lifer title.

Section 31 hull type.
    Section 31 black badges and Discovery Section 31 uniform.
    Section 31 Veteran ship.
    Luther Sloan, Daniels, or another Section 31 Bridge Officer.
    Section 31 themed lifer Captain's Table.
    Access to gear with a special cosmetic look for Section 31.
    A Section 31 themed Bridge and interior.
    New title: "Above the law!"
    Visual slot special effect shield, engine, and deflector items.

I'd put out another $200 for all of this and some other non-game breaking fluff.

^^^ ALL OF THIS PLEASE!!!! As a Lifer right now, this would completely revitalize my existing account and characters, not to mention make me a very happy camper! I just hope we get a more flushed out Cardassian experience now that they have been announced. If we can get our new Cardassian playables to start at level 60 like the new Jem'Hadar character, that would be really fun.

That's what it would do for me as well. I have been here since the beginning. I get the fact that we have gotten our value out of the lifetime sub. I want to give them more money but it has to be for things I actually want. Throw in some more character slots with all of that and I'm going to be enjoying this game like I was back in the headstart, with some of the beta bugs still lingering around almost 9 years later. :P
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    Did anyone else notice the thread topic rhymes?
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    jslyn wrote: »
    I must say, the Experience Point Requirement should have an extra digit added to it. One set of Admiralty is often enough to gain 1 to 2 Specialization Points. At that rate, going from Level 60 to Level 65 will only take as long as logging in and clearing out the Admiralty Rewards from the day before. So.... six seconds, give or take? You should really consider increasing the Experience Requirement.

What? 8 assignments gives maybe 1/3 of a spec point on average when you claim them all at once, and that's with a Tour of Duty in there, maybe slightly more than that if you're doing Federation campaign. It will be enough to get a couple of levels right off the bat, maybe as high as three. We already had stupidly-high experience requirements per level last time they raised the cap, and they eventually undid it all. I think that they learned their lesson from that.
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Did anyone else notice the thread topic rhymes?

In that Emily Dickinson sort of "slant rhyming" way. For a classic rock example, Steve Miller rhyming "Texas," "facts is" and "taxes" in "Take the Money and Run."
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • ronanobrienronanobrien Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    (flame/troll post removed) - darkbladejk
    Post edited by darkbladejk on
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    leemwatson wrote: »
    it is not specifically stated anywhere in the topic. it makes reference to what is coming, but it doesn't cover if f2p'ers who never had a subscription if they are exempt or not.

The Lvl 61 ship is for EVERYONE. It says absolutely nowhere that this is an LTS perk. In fact, LTS is not even mentioned in the entire article. The ship gained at lvl 40 is actually T5, not what you claim. It's just not upgradable.

where did i even mention it was an LTS perk? please don't put words into my mouth and accuse me of your reaction, thank you.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Wouldn't the T5U ship make morevsense at lvl 50-55 or so? If you played all the way to 61 chances are you have "outgrown" T5.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    Will science abilities scale up to "15" also?
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    Is the T5U ship an account-wide unlock or character bound?

Also, will it break 3-pc sets?

(I'm still interested in the KDF Dysons in case the T6s turn out good whenever those are made).
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • yoktoyokto Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    I am glad that we do not get a new Tier of ships. Sidegrades rather then upgrade is what should be the focus on when it comes to ships now. That way we keep having more and more options on how to play the game rather then we getting a new tier that reduces our options. :)
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,762 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    The T5 ship token and free T5U upgrade is a very nice gift for F2P players on a budget. I'm LTS with many more ships than my 11 captains can fly, but I can still enjoy this gift by adding some fun ships like the Kar'Fi carrier.

To be honest, it's a useful gift to almost everyone. Even if we don't need/use the actual T5-U ship, it'll still produce a Admiralty card.

This. I often take a ship and then remove it just for the A Card.
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • taneth21taneth21 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Awesome update. But what good does new ranks, missions or gear brings if you can't "INSPECT" your friends or anyone for the matter? I would like to see what my friends or random people have equipped in their character or ship. Or am I the only one that doesn't know how to do this? Is this simple feature in the works or not? I would really appreciate more info on this because “Insufficient facts always invite danger.”

As for the update. I can't wait! Keep up the good work.
    I'm a 05/20/13 member and right now there is no better time to enjoy STO.

"Live long and prosper"
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    anodynes wrote: »

What? 8 assignments gives maybe 1/3 of a spec point on average when you claim them all at once, and that's with a Tour of Duty in there, maybe slightly more than that if you're doing Federation campaign. It will be enough to get a couple of levels right off the bat, maybe as high as three. We already had stupidly-high experience requirements per level last time they raised the cap, and they eventually undid it all. I think that they learned their lesson from that.

I usually have two or three Tours Of Duty and use the x5 Crit multipliers on most assignments (why wouldn't you if you have them, right?). I completed the Constable Spec Tree in a week doing the daily Admiralty and playing one mission a single time.

If you look at the Experience Chart that was posted 1 Specialization Level has nine times the required amount for 1 Character Level. Assuming that you only get 1/3 of a Spec Point, you'd be done leveling the character in two days, even if you did nothing but one set of Admiralty each day. Asking for a raise in the required experience to make each Character Level equal that a Specialization Point only makes gaining the Levels feel like you had accomplished something rather than simply making it a Log-In Bonus.

That is my take on it, anyway.
  • connordraigon#6306 connordraigon Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Does anyone else feel it's a little weird to have a ton of "5-star" Fleet Admirals running around commanding individual ships and getting into the fray of ground combat? Even in the real world during wartime, there is rank inflation in the military branches of many governments, but not to that extent (haha). I was interested in whether or not the STO brass was going to address this or not with the level cap increase- it seems like they're not which is fine, but it's still a curiosity of mine.
    Seems to me it would make more sense to cap displayed level-up ranks at Captain (since we're all commanding individual starships in-game and on certain missions even at high levels, us in-character fleet admirals are getting ordered around by lower-ranked characters like Tuvok or Nog); or, with the Admiralty system, cap the displayed level-up rank at 2-star Rear Admiral, and provide "honorary" 3-star Vice, 4-star Adm., and 5-star Fleet Adm. titles to game developers or long-playing veterans.
    Idk, I'm kind of a Star Trek purist when it comes to the game (my builds and uniform aren't the fastest or mightiest, but they LOOK LIKE STAR TREK) so that's where I'm coming from.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    Let's keep things civil in here folks. If you have concerns you are free to voice them provided it is done respectfully and in a civil manor.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    Response to moderated post removed. Yes, I'm modding myself, try not to go cross-eyed. -- StarSword-C
    Does anyone else feel it's a little weird to have a ton of "5-star" Fleet Admirals running around commanding individual ships and getting into the fray of ground combat? Even in the real world during wartime, there is rank inflation in the military branches of many governments, but not to that extent (haha). I was interested in whether or not the STO brass was going to address this or not with the level cap increase- it seems like they're not which is fine, but it's still a curiosity of mine.
    Seems to me it would make more sense to cap displayed level-up ranks at Captain (since we're all commanding individual starships in-game and on certain missions even at high levels, us in-character fleet admirals are getting ordered around by lower-ranked characters like Tuvok or Nog); or, with the Admiralty system, cap the displayed level-up rank at 2-star Rear Admiral, and provide "honorary" 3-star Vice, 4-star Adm., and 5-star Fleet Adm. titles to game developers or long-playing veterans.
    Idk, I'm kind of a Star Trek purist when it comes to the game (my builds and uniform aren't the fastest or mightiest, but they LOOK LIKE STAR TREK) so that's where I'm coming from.
    This is a discussion we've all been having for years. IMHO it was a stupid idea to link in-story rank to character level but that ship's long since sailed.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    Some interesting news here.

I'm not too happy with the Mk increase to Mk 15. I just stopped upgrading most of my gear because I was finally finished on most characters and now I'll have to start again.

I'm also wondering what this will mean for the enemies' hitpoints and such. Surely they will be adapted to avoid power creep? Cause that's likely to result if you're going to allow players to shoot at enemies not just with Mk 14 epic beams, but with mk 15 ones.

For the same reason, I hope the new ability won't be too powerful.

I'm curious about the ships: will we be able to select any T5 ship? That would be very nice. Even if it's restricted to a pre-selection of T5s, it's still a nice reward.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    Let's keep things civil in here folks. If you have concerns you are free to voice them provided it is done respectfully and in a civil manor.

Thanks for helping me make up my mind. I was by no means flaming or trolling, I was expressing my thoughts on this, no one was being disrespected and I kept it quite civil. If this is the kind of moderation that this game has now, I think that my time now is best spent outside of STO. But that being said, I appreciate your assistance in this manner, and hope that STO goes down gracefully when it does. Was a fun 3 years but I have questioned the business practices of Cryptic for some time, and this has now shown me what to expect from this game moving forward, and I would rather not play a game that solely exists to print money now and legitimate concerns of the the players or what they would like to see falling on deaf ears because we're only here to give you money.

Live long, and prosper. I was content playing the game without spending money, but now, I'm no longer even that.

Thanks for helping me make up my mind. I was by no means flaming or trolling, I was expressing my thoughts on this, no one was being disrespected and I kept it quite civil. If this is the kind of moderation that this game has now, I think that my time now is best spent outside of STO. But that being said, I appreciate your assistance in this manner, and hope that STO goes down gracefully when it does. Was a fun 3 years but I have questioned the business practices of Cryptic for some time, and this has now shown me what to expect from this game moving forward, and I would rather not play a game that solely exists to print money now and legitimate concerns of the the players or what they would like to see falling on deaf ears because we're only here to give you money.

Live long, and prosper. I was content playing the game without spending money, but now, I'm no longer even that.

And if this is not true, prove it please, because it doesn't look like it is here from my perspective when you take down a post that you THINK was flaming or trolling. I was quite serious. As a customer who's paid for all the T5 ships and paid to T5-U a few, I kinda feel slightly shafted by this move. I'm sure I'm not alone. And that is flaming or trolling? Please look those definitions up, I was trying to say my opinion without that, to which you prevented me from doing so.

Don't worry, this is going to likely be my last post on this forum.
  • jupwisejupwise Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    Maybe it has been answered somewhere already but do we get more skill points for those 5 levels?
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User

Which would be another 5$ per month. Could be done, especially since the question of "how long will my investment in this game last?" is valid (I don't say "doom", I think STO is going strong right now and will continue for a while, but obviously a LTS is 5 years of stipend less worth than it was in 2013). Then again, especially long time subscribers already have gained more than they paid.

Well, an interesting one it should be. Wouldn't say "no", but we already have them.

Harming the economy and attacking the F2P model in one single go. Please don't do this.

Couldn't care less for badges, outfits will always be welcome.

This could be interesting and a huge incentive to getting an LTS. No idea whether the engine would support this, but since we already have different caps, why not? I am not sure about the consequences for Very Desirable Objects on the exchange and inflation results, though.

Not worth the effort. Not that I am against this, but everybody will visit it once to never return unless it offers some benefits yet to be seen (cooldown free transwarp to any system, all useful contacts in a single terminal, ...)
    A new Veteran ship.

Would be nice, although the balance between "make it interesting" and "don't overpower it" will be tricky. I could especially care for some variety, not only Tac ships.

See Captain's Table, probably not worth it, wouldn't be bad otherwise.
    New lifer title.

Don't care personally.

Do you mean "free starter slots for toons" or "raised cap"? Doubt that the latter would be possible that easily, but may be mistaken.

Personally I would be the happiest player with a raise of the boff cap, but others probably don't care about that.

Not interested at all here, then again, for those who like it ...
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    As for my overall impression, I am not yet convinced that the raised level cap will bring that much for me. New captain ability may be interesting, or just another button in the tray you don't use. Free T5-U is, as has been said, very welcome for F2P players (and I don't think it matters that much that it comes comparatively late). Others are meh-ish (specializations can be gotten for cheap on the exchange, so it's basically 200,000 ec), then again we didn't have a game changing reward every level before, why should it differ now? Mk XV means more upgrading, but I guess Mk XII drops will still be viable unless you go Elite.

It certainly won't hurt, but as of now I fail to see how it will change the game from what it is now. Well, we'll see in june.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    xyquarze wrote: »
    It certainly won't hurt, but as of now I fail to see how it will change the game from what it is now. Well, we'll see in june.

Cryptic peeps stated on Ten Forward Weekly that this isn't intended to be a game changing update. It's a small bit of progression. A more impactful system is also coming with ViL, though we don't have any details on that yet (apart from Jeremy being most excited about it.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!