test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Building ships from trash items

Whenever I'm selling all those engines, warp cores and shields to vendors, I'm wondering what they are doing with them - I mean, you could build a decent fleet with all of that stuff. And then I got an idea for a new minigame:

The point would be to equip a ship waiting somewhere in the shipyards according to a request from your faction leaders - The ship type as well as items needed would be randomly generated (and faction-appropriate), and you would get a reward based on the tier and quality of items used, with a possible bonus for fulfilling the request quickly.

Think Papa's Pizzeria, but with Star-Trek starships :smiley:

Or it could be something like in Dragon Age, where you can donate certain items to your armies, to make them stronger (instead of gaining EC, each item donated this way - be it space or ground equipment - would count towards some reputation-like progression).

Ideally, to make sure this remains an ongoing feature, rather than just something you farm at one point to get to the rewards, it could contribute to your "space/ground preparedness" which would provide you with some bonuses when you keep it high, but decays over time. Basically, as long as you maintain a steady supply of items (with higher quality items generating more supply), you get some sweet advantages. This could be either a personal reward system, fleet-wide reward system, faction-wide reward system, or even a free-for-all reward system, where all players from any faction could contribute towards a common goal.

Comments

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    The only problem is that the ships will all blow up before they travel 300 meters ;)
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Yeah, I wonder what that bartender in Starfleet Academy does with all the ship parts I bring him...

Must be secretly an evil overlord building a massive fleet to take over the universe. :D
  • Options
    yakodymyakodym Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    Yeah, I wonder what that bartender in Starfleet Academy does with all the ship parts I bring him...

Must be secretly an evil overlord building a massive fleet to take over the universe. :D

"This is the story about how I accidentally became the greatest arms dealer in Beta quadrant" :smiley:
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Could donate junk items to your fleet instead of selling or salvaging.

Donating salvage could be an alternative to the demands for dil or white boffs, particularly the engineering side.
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    I'm salvaging all my items to re-engineer things. I'd have little to give.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    Looking forward to the new Federation T6 ship release that has a garbage can for a saucer section, two old moldy loafs of bread as nacelles, and green recycle bin for a primary hull. 3000 zen lets you haul that puppy away ".... as garbage."

*Klingon belly laugh*
  • Options
    cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    nimbull wrote: »
    I'm salvaging all my items to re-engineer things. I'd have little to give.

It's better to sell vendortrash for EC, then buy stuff from the vendor and salvage that.
  • Options
    byozuma#0956 byozuma Member Posts: 502 Arc User
    At least the laughing will last as long as it takes for said ship to in range and rain gold XIV death. This game doesn't really lend itself to ship elitism as much as Epic XIV elitism.
    oldracesbanner.jpg
  • Options
    The only problem is that the ships will all blow up before they travel 300 meters ;)

gamblebox & lobi ships can manage 400m

PAY TO WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    I shall have the bestest fleet in all the galaxy! (words to run away from when coming from Duncan Idaho)
    Kwf4R0F.png

Anyway, interesting idea but it seems like something you can write into the fiction of fleet projects and admiralty assignments. I don't know if there's a system design need for finding another use for trash gear (they just added salvage and re-engineering.)

Maybe have "support shipyard efforts" as an assignment type (for whatever) that requires salvage?
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    Wasn't that one of the early concepts for the fed miracle worker ships?
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User

Nope, this was though. :tongue:
    4KFsgpE.png
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options

Nope, this was though. :tongue:
    4KFsgpE.png

Star-Trek-Enterprise-Pizza-Cutter1-560x300.jpg

Not bad, but I like pepperoni with mine.
  • Options
    luddimusluddimus Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    could end up OP, T6 connie with 90,000 HP 5 fore 3 aft weapon slots eng and tac slot balance with 2 sci slots and the special weapon 360 degree heavy quad cannons. can equip cloak, 2 hangar bays and special weapon works with ablative hull armor. Aye cap, she is a thing of beauty. - Mirror scotty salvaging the dusty remains of the Nerada and working in the secret development lab in the cloaking field of a sphere
  • Options
    foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User
    nimbull wrote: »
    Looking forward to the new Federation T6 ship release that has a garbage can for a saucer section, two old moldy loafs of bread as nacelles, and green recycle bin for a primary hull. 3000 zen lets you haul that puppy away ".... as garbage."

*Klingon belly laugh*

Gets up from chair, looks at Klingon, Punches Klingon.

Bar room brawl ensures :)
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    OP, you might be onto something here. It is good idea. Just needs a little polishing. I'd like an alternative to reducing vendortrash to EC. Salvage helps some. But I think this idea might reduce some of the inflationary pressure on the value of EC.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    OP, you might be onto something here. It is good idea. Just needs a little polishing. I'd like an alternative to reducing vendortrash to EC. Salvage helps some. But I think this idea might reduce some of the inflationary pressure on the value of EC.

Looked at the "secondary" ship prices in the Exchange since the Infinity Box Evolution?
    I just hope prices drop by the time this run is over...or no more Mirror ships for Admiralty cards for me. LOL!
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    I shall have the bestest fleet in all the galaxy! (words to run away from when coming from Duncan Idaho)
    Kwf4R0F.png

I'd fly that. Especially in purple.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    What happens to all those scrap parts you sell, you ask?

You've seen some of the T1 and T2 kitbashes out there, yes? When I wrote of Grunt's first ship, the Hypatia, I said that Starfleet engineers referred to her as "a collection of spare parts flying in close formation". Figure that's where all those parts are going.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png