Install Arc
Options

Does anyone use single cannons?

13»

Comments

• Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,320 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    Isn't it time to remove single cannons from the game? (And, yes, this is because I opened 2 Discovery disruptor cannon boxes and got 2 single cannons in them).

Does anyone use them? If so, please tell me why. And none of this, "Well, they have a wider arc of fire so are useful in some cases" or "you can mount them on things that can't mount dual cannons."

The question is, do YOU use them? And why?

I use them quite frequently and with very good results.
    One needs to know how to set up a proper build though since it is not as straight forward as a beam boat or DHC build.

Started using SC after seeing an old PVP build for a Galaxy X in action and developed the build from that point.
    There has been the mandatory stop at the plasma explosion consoles along the way. Kemocite also works quite well.

Currently there are still a few consoles and traits which allow cruisers with SC/turrets to throw down close to insane amounts of damage. Maybe it would be higher if i actually bothered to upgrade my weapons or consoles, but it is more than sufficient for any PVE.

Oh man, this made me remember one of the guys years ago doing a single cannon + turrets with a Photonic Shockwave D'Deridex build for PVP and killing peasants with it. Using a D'D in PVP demanded respect already (anything was better), but shaming guys with single cannon and turret attacks was funny.

While i haven't tested it in PVP since i stay away from PVP due to the attitude of a few bad apples, i have tested this setup on a T6 D'D in various queues and patrols on elite setting and it still works.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User
    Rather than change DHC, which would generate the usual rage, they could create a new slow-firing-big -wallop cannon, call it something like siege cannon or super-heavy cannon.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    postinggum wrote: »
    Rather than change DHC, which would generate the usual rage, they could create a new slow-firing-big -wallop cannon, call it something like siege cannon or super-heavy cannon.
    Maybe call it spinal lance and give it a firing arc of 5°?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,320 Arc User
    Maybe call it spinal lance and give it a firing arc of 5°?

That's just cruel
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User

I think most would not mind that much if they changed the arc of dual cannons, but I agree that DHC should stay pretty much as they are. They fill quite a nice niche that many players enjoy, with abit of a overlap for what Dual-cannons are used for niche wise. Though what about a change to single cannons increasing the firing cycle they have, and/or reducing the number of shots fired during the firing cycle, doing either or both of these would cause the single cannons to gain a more slow firing spike damage style.
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    I used Elachi single cannons & turrets on my TSABC, but that mostly dates when cannons and turrets had a shorter cycle and rolled for procs more often than beams.

I still use the lobi Elachi cannon on an Elachi dreadnought, but that's mostly for thematic styling and set bonuses.

I use a single plasmatic biomater cannon on my Narcine carrier just to have a small amount of plink coming and going around the narrower dual and dual heavy cannon cones.

They're not terrible, but the trade offs are not as good as they used to be.
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    I use them on my D'Deridex because that's what the ship had on the show.

but did it actually have "single cannons"?

it really depends on what show you were watching...sometimes they seem to use beams from the same spot they were the single cannon is supposed to be.
    Star Trek Bridge crew actually gives an explanation for that paradox...beams for disabling shots, pulses for destruction
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    baudl wrote: »
    I use them on my D'Deridex because that's what the ship had on the show.

but did it actually have "single cannons"?

it really depends on what show you were watching...sometimes they seem to use beams from the same spot they were the single cannon is supposed to be.
    Star Trek Bridge crew actually gives an explanation for that paradox...beams for disabling shots, pulses for destruction

and the ironic thing is...that spot on the nose that we keep seeing beams, pulses and even torpedoes come from, depending on episode?

it was supposed to be the ship's deflector​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    best parts about all the star trek series are probably their inconsistencies. But it is really hard to satisfy a fanbase, when the source material has more holes than a sieve
    Go pro or go home