test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[CrtD] vs [DMG]

Before I start re-rolling mods in a serious manner, do I understand correctly ....
  • If running a TAC toon, then [DMG] is likely the mod of choice.
  • If running an ENG or SCI toon, then [CrtD] is likely the mod of choice.

Do I have that right?
Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
" We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)

Comments

• casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    I'll be brief.

If you run a build with lower than 20% critical chance, [Dmg] all the way is the best solution.

If you run a build with 20% or more critical chance we have two options that guide you further.
    1. You don't run lobi consoles that boost crth/crtd further.
    2. You do run lobi consoles (tachyokinetic and the elachi crtd console).

For the first case, you need a solid 20-25% critical hit chance and a 100% crtd bonus (unbuffed-shown on the status bar in space). That is when you need a balanced mod setup like [crtd]x2[dmg]x2 or [crtd]x2[dmg][pen] or [crtd]x3[dmg] or [crtd]x2 [dmg][pen].

For the second case, you need a solid 20-25% critical hit chance or more and will probably hit a 125-150% crtd bonus unbuffed on the same screen. That's when you'll get better numbers from [crtd][dmg]x3, [dmg]x4 or [dmg]x3 [pen].

Taking this to heart and consideration spares you of reading those walls of text from reddit and getting really efficient with your optimisation.

Also bare in mind, piloting properly > min-maxing these weapon mods. The difference in performance between these mods compared is like under 1% total dps variation under identical situations (same pilot, same run, same stats, same conditions).

And if you're really looking for the easy way out, any combo of [Crtd] and [Dmg] works just fine.

PS. - the Tac/Eng/Sci schism is no longer available for season 14. Tacs benefit more from [dmg] mods, but [dmg] is also hefty and beneficial especially to Eng and Sci which lack slightly in cat2 damage buffs but can compensate in efficiency with other bonuses and mechanics.
  • f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    THAT helps explain it better than I've found so far, so thanks.
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    Romulans = crtD

Romulans can get crit chance without even trying. Mine is about 22% with a couple of SROs, I think the three Scimmie set and the skill tree.

Due to skill choice I have effectively base hull and I can still fly straight past a swarm and kill nearly all of them with my drone's help in one pass due to crit damage.

That said I'm a much better "fighter" pilot than I am anything else so as the other person said, piloting and lining everything up just right can do more damage than Joe Goldstuff with a mere MK XII VR setup.

Play to yours and your ships strengths. The ship and it's gear can't do all the work.
  • f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    casualsto wrote: »
    I'll be brief.
    For the first case, you need a solid 20-25% critical hit chance and a 100% crtd bonus (unbuffed-shown on the status bar in space). That is when you need a balanced mod setup like [crtd]x2[dmg]x2 or [crtd]x2[dmg][pen] or [crtd]x3[dmg] or [crtd]x2 [dmg][pen].

For the second case, you need a solid 20-25% critical hit chance or more and will probably hit a 125-150% crtd bonus unbuffed on the same screen. That's when you'll get better numbers from [crtd][dmg]x3, [dmg]x4 or [dmg]x3 [pen].

On a new engineering toon that has yet to get crit from leveling up reps. I'm running 23.7% crit chance / 86.7 severity. Ship is a T6 flagship.

Weapon's I'm looking to re-engineer are sensor-linked phasers.

Now, going with what you've said above ... I would go with balanced or more CrtD heavy. BUT ,,, I haven't applied the rep trait boosts yet.

Which way would you lean? ... And I'm looking at this as a learning experience, btw. So thanks in advance!

• corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    Speaking for myself only, I like to run [CrtD] [Dmg]x2 @ VR, [CrtD]x2 [Dmg]x2 @ UR. That way when I finally gild them, I get [Acc/Dmg] [CrtD]x2 [Dmg]x2 effectively, Acc x1, CrtD x2 and Dmg x3. Then again I play mostly Tac's and my CrtH hovers around 30% when fully buffed, and just under 20% when not buffed. My preferred mods may not be ideal or in the "Meta" but it works for me and I melt enemies to my satisfaction regularly.

For ground I prefer [CrtD] [Dmg]x2 @ VR, [CrtD] [Dmg]x3 @ UR and whatever gilding gets me I make a decision then since each weapon is different depending on if it's lockbox or lobi or crafted,...
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    the damage portion of epic modifiers is double the strength of a regular damage mod...so it would be Acc x1, CrtD x2 and Dmg x4, not 3

unless they fixed that while setting up the re-engineering system, because that technically wasn't intended

and you really shouldn't be using damage modifiers on the ground at all, because they're still the TRIBBLE cat1 version - they weren't buffed when the space version was​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    After slotting the Dyson Rep Crtd Bonus and the Rom Rep Crth Bonus, you'll be sitting at 23.7% crth and 86% crtd + 4% crth and 16% crtd. That results into a 27.7% (which might be 28% or more after upgrading further or having boosted aux power during the combat if you run the Disentanglement Suite science console) crth. And a 104% crtd. For unbuffed stats, 27% crth and 104% crtd results into a good base 1/4 crth/crtd. unbuffed.

That results make two optimal things to have:
    1. If you don't run AP and run anything else, [crtd]x2 [dmg][pen], [crtd][dmg]x2[pen], [crtd]x2[dmg]x2.
    2. if you run AP (innate 20 crtd red basic AP, not herald, not delphic...). [crtd][dmg]x2[pen], [crtd][dmg]x3.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    genhauk wrote: »
    Before I start re-rolling mods in a serious manner, do I understand correctly ....
    • If running a TAC toon, then [DMG] is likely the mod of choice.
    • If running an ENG or SCI toon, then [CrtD] is likely the mod of choice.

Do I have that right?

Yea. :)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated