test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Crossfield, Warp-In hardcoded?

I love how the Crossfield does a spore jump rather than transwarp to a system/area. But It's a bit of a shame that arrival animations tend to always be regular warp in animations rather than a conduit opening or in this case, spore jump arrival animation.
So what I started to wonder is if it even is possible to have other animations than warp in when arriving in a system? or if that is one of those things that is hardcoded into the game?
Because it sure would be cool to be able to arrive in a system by other means than just warping in.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q

Comments

• Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    I have to imagine it's hard coded, since they went through the trouble to make the "jump-out" animation work. They clearly have animations for both given that the Lorca Maneuver is a thing, so there must be a fairly challenging technical hurdle barring them from just slapping the "jump-in" animation onto the warp-in sequence.

I wonder if it might be a camera issue? The camera during warp-out is a long-standing oddity, often clipping into ships. My guess is the vanity spin-around during warp-in is also hard coded, and would probably spaz out if you changed anything about the animation. This is avoided on warp-out by virtue of the camera being glued in place during that sequence, but obviously it's not stationary on warp-in.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Actually... I think I know why we get the interesting angle on warp out that often clips on LARGER ships like the D'Deridex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnDtvZXYHgE

seven seasons of watching the USS Enterprise-D jump to warp from that angle in the intro for TNG.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Yes, it's possible to have alternate arrival animation for the player ship. Some episode missions have them, like in the time travel episodes you arrive from a temporal rift.

I'd guess they're just too cheap to make proper transwarp animation. The entering transwarp animation is very low quality and on KDF hasn't even played right for years. No surprise they haven't made an exit version of it.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    Yes, it's possible to have alternate arrival animation for the player ship. Some episode missions have them, like in the time travel episodes you arrive from a temporal rift.

Those could be set on a per-map basis though, such that it would be impossible (without digging into the guts of STO) to set different players to use different arrival animations. There may be a parallel to draw with faction-specific beaming animations (same map, different player intro/outro for ground), but then again that might be hard coded at the level of faction, and thus can't be freely swapped around without breaking things further down the interdependent development hierarchy that is game code. So...

*Shrug*

Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    vampeiyrevampeiyre Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    Well, the Crossfield has a standard warp drive as well as the spore jump drive, that's been shown more than once. They only use the spore drive for emergencies and combat, not standard travel, so having it set up how it is now, with spore drive only for trans warp, is actually canon-correct technically speaking.
    "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."
  • Options
    alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    vampeiyre wrote: »
    Well, the Crossfield has a standard warp drive as well as the spore jump drive, that's been shown more than once. They only use the spore drive for emergencies and combat, not standard travel, so having it set up how it is now, with spore drive only for trans warp, is actually canon-correct technically speaking.

Yes and that's completely fine. But what were discussing here is the fact that whenever you "transwarp", you are always met with a regular "warp in" animation rather than one of exiting a transwarp conduit or in the case of the crossfield, arriving via spore jump.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • Options
    vampeiyrevampeiyre Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    vampeiyre wrote: »

Yes and that's completely fine. But what were discussing here is the fact that whenever you "transwarp", you are always met with a regular "warp in" animation rather than one of exiting a transwarp conduit or in the case of the crossfield, arriving via spore jump.

Oh, sorry, reading is fundamental and I clearly did not pay attention. Carry on then :)
    "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."
  • Options
    redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Actually... I think I know why we get the interesting angle on warp out that often clips on LARGER ships like the D'Deridex.

seven seasons of watching the USS Enterprise-D jump to warp from that angle in the intro for TNG.

Meh. If that's actually the case, the art-department of STO apparently doesn't understand that the warp-sequence of TNG's intro was probably not meant to look like that. The main studio-model of the Enterprise D was just too large for that sort of close-ups and thus it ended up like we know it.

The people working at ILM at the time probably still have nightmares from it.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User

I'd guess they're just too cheap to make proper transwarp animation. The entering transwarp animation is very low quality and on KDF hasn't even played right for years. No surprise they haven't made an exit version of it.

It has issues on Feds, too: it always plays sideways on my FT6 Galaxy (as in, looking like the ship tipped 90 degrees to the right before jumping).
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    An overhaul of the warp-in/out system with the potential of monetized/achievement customization options is something I would be interested in.. and have always wished we had. Hopefully it would be a good excuse to "solve" the issues that constantly crop up because of the addition of new playable factions.

Being able to obtain a Borg transwarp animation after completing the Omega rep, or getting an Undine dimensional tear from Infinity/Undine Weapon boxes(like vanity shields) would be a great way to allow players to further customize and personalize.

(Likewise, I'd love to see customizable transporter effects. It feels so strange to have mixed transporter effects for special boffs that simply don't match the ship that is supposed to be facilitating it.)
  • Options

Those could be set on a per-map basis though, such that it would be impossible (without digging into the guts of STO) to set different players to use different arrival animations. There may be a parallel to draw with faction-specific beaming animations (same map, different player intro/outro for ground), but then again that might be hard coded at the level of faction, and thus can't be freely swapped around without breaking things further down the interdependent development hierarchy that is game code. So...

*Shrug*
    It almost certainly is in the episode or map script. That's not really important, though. The default map transfer script does contain animation selection logic, at least to choose when it does a warp-in animation and when the ship just pops into existence.

As usual, speculating about code none of us will ever see is rather pointless.
  • Options
    First, for god sake fix the transwarp animation from sector space. ITs have been broken since ages ago. Then, worry about other things..

What's wrong with it?
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    First, for god sake fix the transwarp animation from sector space. ITs have been broken since ages ago. Then, worry about other things..
    What's wrong with it?
    Thats a joke, right? All my kdf and romulan characters have the sector space transwarp effect totally borked. The ship will dissapear even before the transwarp effect. And this is happening since more than a year now. I think starfleet characters are not affected.
    Enh... it's a bit random actually, sometimes it happens sometimes not. I think it might actually be a lag thing.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User

*Shrug*
    It almost certainly is in the episode or map script. That's not really important, though. The default map transfer script does contain animation selection logic, at least to choose when it does a warp-in animation and when the ship just pops into existence.

without knowing how those things are coded we have to idea of knowing how easily those thing can be changed, speculating what might be make it harder then it seems at first hand is still much more productive then just assuming it's a peice of cake to change such things and that only reason Cryptic doesn't do it is because they hate us, which is essentially what you're doing.

• Options
    silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    So the Crossfield does the spinny-flip thing when the transwarp destinations are chosen? Called it :sunglasses::sunglasses:
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    Any ship with the Magic Mushrooms console equipped will do the flip IIRC.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    jexsamx wrote: »
    Any ship with the Magic Mushrooms console equipped will do the flip IIRC.
    Can anyone confirm? At least for Federation ships? Because I tried with the console equipped on a KDF D4x and it did the normal transwarp animation. It doesn't even flip the ship when activating the ability itself, just applying the light effects.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    Pretty sure the transwarp animation is Crossfield exclusive, as well as the actual flipping animation from use of the console.
  • Options
    r0m#7631 r0m Member Posts: 134 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    jexsamx wrote: »

I wonder if it might be a camera issue? The camera during warp-out is a long-standing oddity, often clipping into ships.

I often have the issue when using bigger ships. Couldn't the game automatically adjust the camera when you do a jump, in the same way that it'll steer your ship in the right direction so you don't warp into the closest star when exiting a system.

Kills the immersion.
  • Options
    spiritborn wrote: »

*Shrug*

without knowing how those things are coded we have to idea of knowing how easily those thing can be changed, speculating what might be make it harder then it seems at first hand is still much more productive then just assuming it's a peice of cake to change such things and that only reason Cryptic doesn't do it is because they hate us, which is essentially what you're doing.
    No, speculating on it is not productive in any way. We will never see the code and guessing at it accomplishes nothing.
    What's wrong with it?
    Thats a joke, right? All my kdf and romulan characters have the sector space transwarp effect totally borked. The ship will dissapear even before the transwarp effect. And this is happening since more than a year now. I think starfleet characters are not affected.
    Enh... it's a bit random actually, sometimes it happens sometimes not. I think it might actually be a lag thing.

No, its not random lol.

If you warp out from the alpha sector to anywher,e i think it works perfectly fine.

But if you warp out from the beta sector, using a kdf of romulan character, the effect is totally broken. And no, its not random because i suffer it ALL the time. And back in the days a lot of people complained about this, but as with everything they got used to it, because everything broken in this game is working as intended, and they know it.
    Well, it works sometimes, but I wouldn't call it "perfectly fine" ever.

The visual quality of it looks like something from the 90's, with the overly transparent, single texture funnel (that's always too small to fit the ship), the particle spray poof and the ship just disappearing on the spot. In canon, ships always flew into transwarp conduits normal speed.

I do remember when the time travel episodes were released, that someone suggested just plain switching in the time-rift effect for the transwarp jump simply because it looks so much higher quality.