test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Black graphical lines when on ground.

kantezeroskantezeros Member Posts: 2 Arc User
edited November 2017 in Graphical and Sound Issues
So recently updated my drivers (AMD) and now I'm getting these horrific black lines jutting out every which way from my characters, and NPCs. Its fine in space (thankfully), but this is pretty damn hard to enjoy with this going on.

https://imgur.com/gallery/J9YwgWP

Comments

• jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    What happens if you reinstall the old drivers?
  • kantezeroskantezeros Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Getting the same. STO is the ONLY game where i'm having issues, everything else runs like a dream :/
  • darkthorne70darkthorne70 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    I been having this issue myself. found if I toggle lighting 2.0 on and off it fixes it but I really am hoping for a more permeant solution
  • postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User
    I have this with my 260x but not when running integrated graphics from AMD APU A10. I thought the card was heading to retirement.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    This is what I call the "face melting bug."

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1224649/pc-randomly-extruding-models-textures-update-getting-better

There's something up with STO's use of direct x11 (the change over is when this started happening) that [apparently] causes the model to draw a polygon vertex to a fixed point on the map (on ground, in space the model implodes on itself). This can apply to anything with geometry. It shouldn't be a consistent problem for any particular example. Reloading the map always clears it in my experience. However, eventually something else may randomly go ping.

Drivers? I troubleshooted and they make no difference. What does is restarting STO if it starts happening frequently, seems to get worse over an extended playtime (or perhaps once the glitch happens, it's more likely for there to be issues.)

Also, question to the OP (and anyone else having this) for investigation: do you have a massive number of Packet/PCL reports in your STO program folder? I started noticing these sometime after dx11 problems started happening. If you delete these, do dx11 issues happen less frequently? (I would say maybe but it could easily be a placebo effect.)

Also, question to Cryptic: do you want more info on these accumulating report files? I haven't dug into them too much yet (just started clearing them out to see if that had an effect, and also to make sure they don't overwhelm my STO program folder).
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User
    Are people getting this with nvidia also?
  • kostoneldkostoneld Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    Amd here same problem. Just came back to the game glad I’m not the only one having this
    Is there ever going to be any word on this or only if it affects more people? It’s really ruining my gameplay and prob just going to stop paying for anything and move onto another game and wait to see if any patch notes fix this later.
    Is there any way they might fix this bug or just let it go forever? I can’t really play anymore with this happening all the time in cut screens or ground combat. I’ll stop spending money on the game and stop playing and keep an eye on the patch notes and hope they fix this. It’s really a game breaking bug and hope enough people are effected by it for them to care.
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    Also, question to the OP (and anyone else having this) for investigation: do you have a massive number of Packet/PCL reports in your STO program folder? I started noticing these sometime after dx11 problems started happening. If you delete these, do dx11 issues happen less frequently? (I would say maybe but it could easily be a placebo effect.)

Also, question to Cryptic: do you want more info on these accumulating report files? I haven't dug into them too much yet (just started clearing them out to see if that had an effect, and also to make sure they don't overwhelm my STO program folder).

I noticed these files a long time ago. As far as I can tell, they're just a bunch of useless log files. I'm pretty sure they don't have anything to do with this bug or any other bug you might encounter (except, of course, a bunch of useless logs appearing in your installation directory).

What I think happened was that someone changed the logging code to rotate the logs every hour. This makes sense on the server-side, where I imagine the log files can get pretty big. The change was probably intended for servers only, but since the client and servers share logging code, we got it on the client-side too.

If the directory in which you installed STO is named <install>, then you will find hundreds of log files under

<install>

and

<install>\Star Trek Online\Live\logs\GameClient

If you also installed Tribble, then you will also find log files under

<install>\Star Trek Online\Playtest\logs\GameClient

The names of all these log files include a timestamp, which seems have a granularity of one hour. As best as I could determine, we started getting these new hourly log files in logs\GameClient on February 26, 2016, and we started getting them in the main <install> directory on December 8, 2016. (Note that these dates might be slightly off.) Furthermore, the PACKET and pcl logs in the main <install> directory are redundant, because the same information is also written to the Packet and Pcl logs in logs\GameClient.

A while ago, Cryptic added a flag called -NoAutoRotateLogs to the launcher that allows you to disable log rotation, but it only partially works. The flag has no effect on the main <install> directory, but it does disable rotation for most logs in logs\GameClient. However, it doesn't completely disable the rotation of the Makeshaderbins log, because the names of Makeshaderbins files include a process ID in addition to a timestamp. NoAutoRotateLogs gets rid of the timestamp, but it doesn't get rid of the process ID, so you still get a new log file every time you launch the client.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
    No word on this or a fix incoming? This has been a problem for months and others are posting about it here and on reddit and other places. I wonder how many people with amd try to play this game and see this happen all over and just quite? I wish I wasn’t so invested in this game with REAL MONEY and I could just walk away too!