test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What is the point of injuries?

I can't figure out the gameplay purpose of the injuries you get on your captain/officers/ship on advanced/elite. In most cases, even when I do get injured, I barely notice any effect at all, so all it does is displaying these status icons, and for all I know, they only serve as a warning when you see someone with like a 50 injuries on your team in a pug, that the person is probably a troll of somekind.

Even if it did have some serious effect, it's just a minor annoyance to hop to the nearest doctor / ship repair guy, and get everything fixed free of charge. If you plan on doing a lot of queues, you can just stand next to them and heal up after each mission...

Anyone else thinking it's an outdated feature just like the now removed "ship crew gauge"?

Answers

• Options
    totenmettotenmet Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    The point of injuries is to punish players and make them consume heals which you can buy very cheap and heal instantly. Better would be disable respawn in PVP PVE.

In other words the way injuries is implemented is not improving fun.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    The injury system is a relic and in my opinion should be reworked or removed at this point. They couldn't rework the old crew mechanic so they got rid of it. So maybe this goes the same way.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    Why haven't they given science toons a way to handle injuries to themselves and others?
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    And engineering toons for ships? Because some Tac captains would cry in the forums I guess...

I just reserved 6 inventory slots for the healings, selling if I get more than one stack from drops (my only way of acquiring them), if I blow up, everything is fine.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Injuries are debuffs that stack. The more you have, the worse you'll perform. Its just that most people deal with them instantly.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2017
    Once you get more than 2 minor injuries they can start to quickly become major injuries even critical ones and they can result in significant debuff's to various abilities, resistence, and even your damage output. It's often best to keep a stack of at least 20 of both minor and major ground or space injury kit's so you can heal before they become Critical.

If your at ESD / Quonos or Romulus Command though you can see a Doctor or go to Port and Heal injuries without having kit's available... ...but if you have no injury kit's the debuffs will apply until you are healed or have the ship repaired.
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Injuries are debuffs that stack. The more you have, the worse you'll perform. Its just that most people deal with them instantly.

Yea as I said above: keep at least minor and major injury kit's and heal them before they result in critical. :'(

Those can really hurt... >:)
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    soullessraptorsoullessraptor Member Posts: 353 Arc User
    I'd put it as a way to punish careless play in high-difficulty queues. Punitive measures to make sure that players who run them are actually running them with some degree of skill and caution, rather than brute-forcing it.
    Think of it as advanced raid mechanics in other MMO-type games.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Too steep. Not everyone can afford that much. Besides... that would require removing components and regenerators from the game.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    Yea I have no issue with prices where they at. The idea is to discourage people from doing content well beyond their abilities...

It's not to act as a major restriction from being able to play or try something new - but if your coming out of a mission with 2 to 3 or more Critical injuries you may want to try a little easier content till gear improves.

...after all anybody can get a few too many critical hits and die - possibly getting a minor or major injury. So be prepared to have a few extra injury kits readily available to quickly heal you.
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    Not sure about permanent character death nabreeki. It is not much of a deterrent. Could the game instead send a code to wipe the users harddrive? ;)

On a serious note however there is one thing that differentiates injuries from the crew mechanic. There are accolades for carrying a large number of injuries. There were no such accolades I am aware of for the crew being alive.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    Deleted
    Post edited by equinox976 on
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    I'm not sure about removal...but it sure as hell does need a rework.

How about making them cost a good amount of EC to fix to make an EC sink? Like say 50k for minor, 250k for major and 1 million for a critical injury to ships and maybe cut that by a factor of 10 for ground (since you get way less for ground gear). Would make those kits actually useful than.

The downside I can see to this is that we will see more leeches with a giant list of injuries in queue. However, these leeches are already worthless for if a queue succeeds or not so it doesn't matter anyways. And as a bonus, it will increase their likelyhood of getting AFKed and can't bug anyone for a couple of hours.
    Considering the list of queues worth running are already pretty much limited to whatever event happens to be on, borg/tholian alerts and maybe CCA if you're short on admiralty dil...yeah, sure, go ahead shoot the dead horse some more.
    I'd put it as a way to punish careless play in high-difficulty queues. Punitive measures to make sure that players who run them are actually running them with some degree of skill and caution, rather than brute-forcing it.
    Think of it as advanced raid mechanics in other MMO-type games.
    Except it doesn't actually make sure of anything, doesn't involve any skill or caution to deal with, isn't fun and generally doesn't accomplish anything interesting whatsoever...yeah other than that it's totally like advanced raid mechanics. :smirk:

EDIT: add more text so forum doesnt eat post...don't eat the post, forum, it'll give you gas.
  • Options
    Except it doesn't actually make sure of anything, doesn't involve any skill or caution to deal with, isn't fun and generally doesn't accomplish anything interesting whatsoever...yeah other than that it's totally like advanced raid mechanics. :smirk:
    The point is that it punishes bad plays. EG, if you do something mind-bogglingly stupid like rush straight into a swarm of enemies, you will die. You will then either have to deal with a debuff or use resources to un-debuff yourself. So it encourages players to get familiar with the various strike mechanics before rushing into advanced/elite runs and dragging the team down.
  • Options
    The point is that it punishes bad plays. EG, if you do something mind-bogglingly stupid like rush straight into a swarm of enemies, you will die. You will then either have to deal with a debuff or use resources to un-debuff yourself. So it encourages players to get familiar with the various strike mechanics before rushing into advanced/elite runs and dragging the team down.
    No, it really doesn't. You get this tick on on the long list of ticks that come and go on the UI and your average careless player won't even notice, much less care. It encourages people to go visit a social zone every now and then...maybe. Nothing else.
  • Options
    warpangel wrote: »
    No, it really doesn't. You get this tick on on the long list of ticks that come and go on the UI and your average careless player won't even notice, much less care. It encourages people to go visit a social zone every now and then...maybe. Nothing else.

It's not absolutely debilitating, but if you keep getting downed, you'll notice problems. It's encouraging more careful/tactical play. I'd say they strike a balance between far too harsh (some MMO death penalties cutting stats by around 50%) and not punishing anything.
  • Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    Deleted
    Post edited by equinox976 on
  • Options
    warpangel wrote: »

It's not absolutely debilitating, but if you keep getting downed, you'll notice problems. It's encouraging more careful/tactical play. I'd say they strike a balance between far too harsh (some MMO death penalties cutting stats by around 50%) and not punishing anything.
    No it's not. Any decent player can ignore the injuries and any bad player isn't going to notice any difference.

In some MMO's you can actually lose a mission. In STO getting your stats cut means at worst it takes a little longer to kill some HP sponge, at best nothing at all because the mission is on an auto-win timer.