test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

TRIBBLE Challenge

lapprenticellapprenticel Member Posts: 254 Arc User
Apparently the new TRIBBLE captain has challenged fans to not watch the series.

Seems like the response of many fans is Challenge Accepted!

Those here of the same view? It appears that blind financial support for TRIBBLE is assumed so fan outrage, especially about discarding the legacy of Kirk and Picard etc doesn't matter. Yes I'm aware TRIBBLE was a prequel, now it's a reboot. Seems like Orville may be getting more support from Trekkies.

Comments

• saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User

Those here of the same view? It appears that blind financial support for TRIBBLE is assumed so fan outrage, especially about discarding the legacy of Kirk and Picard etc doesn't matter. Yes I'm aware TRIBBLE was a prequel, now it's a reboot. Seems like Orville may be getting more support from Trekkies.
    I don't really understand. Did the lead actor say "hey, don't watch the show" or something? Any source about that?
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    This thread makes no sense.

Sounds like you're challenging all of us to get a Sexually Transmitted Disease.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    When I see the acronym for Discovery, TRIBBLE. I always think, Space Transmitted Disease.

Then when I see the name Orville, I always think of Orville Reddenbocker. Which makes me want some popcorn.

One, I'd really enjoy.

The other... well I don't particularly feel any desire to pay CBS for an TRIBBLE. Plenty of ways to get those for free.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,279 Arc User

I don't really understand. Did the lead actor say "hey, don't watch the show" or something? Any source about that?

not really; just people taking something jason isaacs said out of context​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User

I would say 'challenge accepted', but as I don't have All Access or Netflix, it's actually not a challenge for me to not watch it ;)

But I will put it this way: Based on all the promotional material, the early-release information deliberately spotlighting a homosexual character, the Mary-Sueism, the trailers, the blatant attempt to pass Kelvin Timeline stylings as Prime Timeline, the embargo on reviews, but release of positive tweets from a captive audience, I don't want to watch it...

So challenge accepted, Isaacs; Looking forward to seeing you in Harry Potter and the Old Folkes Home ;)
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • slifox#0768 slifox Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    I'm loving the TRIBBLE jokes!

I've been watching the Orville. It seems dry at times, but then there's a stroke of genius every once in a while that makes me bust up laughing. I think it can only improve.

As for TRIBBLE, I'm not a fan of the JJ styling. I have absolutely no interest in the show. I resent CBS for even trying to say it's of the prime universe. It reminds me of Microsoft with Windows 8. We changed it. You will use it this way sort of vibe. Eff all of that.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Aww, adorable. More gibbering morons who've snuck onto mummies computer. Don't like it? Pisss off and leave everybody else to it.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    artan42 wrote: »
    Aww, adorable. More gibbering morons who've snuck onto mummies computer. Don't like it? Pisss off and leave everybody else to it.​​
    How about You shut up about it, and leave everyone else to ignore it? How's that for an idea?

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    > @artan42 said:
    > Aww, adorable. More gibbering morons who've snuck onto mummies computer. Don't like it? Pisss off and leave everybody else to it.​​

Dude, you're in the forums for a Star Trek game. People are going to talk about how they don't like it because this is the place for people who like Star Trek to go and talk about Star Trek. Not to mention you willingly came here. Like, you actually chose to read through an entire thread of opinions, and you still want to call people morons.

That's not nice.
  • jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    > @artan42 said:
    > Aww, adorable. More gibbering morons who've snuck onto mummies computer. Don't like it? Pisss off and leave everybody else to it.​​

This must be that vaunted SJW "inclusiveness" I've heard so much about. Too bad TRIBBLE's single season will be on Netflix in a couple years as CBS tries in vain to recoup their losses....when it happens, and it will, I'll think of sheep like you and laugh a little.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User

If she has an TRIBBLE, then she needs to get her priorities straight, and not meddle with the affairs of fans. :P
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,279 Arc User
    uh...jason isaacs is MALE​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    edited September 2017

Huh?! That would seem like a certified way to get herself fired from the show.
    But I will put it this way: Based on all the promotional material, the early-release information deliberately spotlighting a homosexual character,

What's wrong with that!? Never seen Torchwood, have ya? :) Seriously, there's probably going to be a lot wrong with Discovery, but having a TRIBBLE person it in is totally fine by me.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    ^^ What, Cryptic?! So, now you're censoring g-a-y too?! What an incredible homophobic thing to do.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited September 2017
    meimeitoo wrote: »

But I will put it this way: Based on all the promotional material, the early-release information deliberately spotlighting a homosexual character,

What's wrong with that!?
    What's wrong with it, is it's an obvious reference to something which shouldn't even be referenced unless it's plot specific, as a way of drawing audience attention.
    Never seen Torchwood, have ya? :)
    Loved it (except for Miracle Day) (and Will and Grace)
    Seriously, there's probably going to be a lot wrong with Discovery, but having a **** person it in is totally fine by me.
    Them having a TRIBBLE person in it is absolutely fine with me too. What I'm objecting to, is them using it as an advertising point. In so much as all they have to say about the character (to get people's attention) is that he's TRIBBLE. It's as shallow and stupid as saying 'we have a ginger on board'. That's what pisses me off about it. Not the inclusion, but the unnecessary use of it as an attention draw. I found it just as distasteful, that they used the as-then-named Number One's race as an advertising point, before SMG was even cast. I don't care if they wanted to have a black character, or if they wanted to have a character, who a black actress happened to be the best fit for the role (and OMG, I could watch her stand all day <3<3 ) But when they feel the need to virtue signal how 'right on' they are, that pisses me off. Because it's not being right on at all, it's being conspicuously PC. Producers who were right on, wouldn't even think to mention a character's race or sexuality (Equally, I don't like how Brian Fuller outed Thomas Dekker. That was a fraking uncool thing to do)

People like that, don't seem to understand that all they see about people, are their differences, rather than simply ignoring the differences, and treating people as equals regardless of if they be black, white, TRIBBLE, straight, or whatever.

Hope that clarifies my objection :sunglasses:

What's wrong with that!?
    What's wrong with it, is it's an obvious reference to something which shouldn't even be referenced unless it's plot specific, as a way of drawing audience attention.
    Seriously, there's probably going to be a lot wrong with Discovery, but having a **** person it in is totally fine by me.
    Them having a **** person in it is absolutely fine with me too. What I'm objecting to, is them using it as an advertising point. In so much as all they have to say about the character (to get people's attention) is that he's ****. It's as shallow and stupid as saying 'we have a ginger on board'. That's what pisses me off about it. Not the inclusion, but the unnecessary use of it as an attention draw. I found it just as distasteful, that they used the as-then-named Number One's race as an advertising point, before SMG was even cast. I don't care if they wanted to have a black character, or if they wanted to have a character, who a black actress happened to be the best fit for the role (and OMG, I could watch her stand all day <3<3 ) But when they feel the need to virtue signal how 'right on' they are, that pisses me off. Because it's not being right on at all, it's being conspicuously PC. Producers who were right on, wouldn't even think to mention a character's race or sexuality (Equally, I don't like how Brian Fuller outed Thomas Dekker. That was a fraking uncool thing to do)

People like that, don't seem to understand that all they see about people, are their differences, rather than simply ignoring the differences, and treating people as equals regardless of if they be black, white, ****, straight, or whatever.

Point taken. Thank you.
    3lsZz0w.jpg

What's wrong with that!?
    Them having a **** person in it is absolutely fine with me too. What I'm objecting to, is them using it as an advertising point. In so much as all they have to say about the character (to get people's attention) is that he's ****. It's as shallow and stupid as saying 'we have a ginger on board'. That's what pisses me off about it. Not the inclusion, but the unnecessary use of it as an attention draw. I found it just as distasteful, that they used the as-then-named Number One's race as an advertising point, before SMG was even cast. I don't care if they wanted to have a black character, or if they wanted to have a character, who a black actress happened to be the best fit for the role (and OMG, I could watch her stand all day <3<3 ) But when they feel the need to virtue signal how 'right on' they are, that pisses me off. Because it's not being right on at all, it's being conspicuously PC. Producers who were right on, wouldn't even think to mention a character's race or sexuality (Equally, I don't like how Brian Fuller outed Thomas Dekker. That was a fraking uncool thing to do)

People like that, don't seem to understand that all they see about people, are their differences, rather than simply ignoring the differences, and treating people as equals regardless of if they be black, white, ****, straight, or whatever.

Point taken. Thank you.
    No worries <3:sunglasses:

• lapprenticellapprenticel Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    Getting off on a tangent, but like silverlobes notes, the folk behind TRIBBLE are marketing it as an SJW platform. The TRIBBLE crew are the lead Black female, a homosexual science officer, a Pakistani lieutenant (soldier?), a female cadet, a female Indian security officer, a homosexual Hispanic doctor, and the captain who is from the southern US. The Shenzhou has a female Chinese Malaysian captain, and a homosexual Indian doctor.

(Yes in case it's not obvious characters are assumed to be White guys unless otherwise noted.)

So of the 9 listed Federation characters we have 4 females - 1 of whom is the lead, to 5 guys, only 3 of the 9 characters are White, and 3 of the characters are homosexual. There are no Buddhists, Christians, Muslims, or Shintoists listed despite this being a fundamental part of the identity of most people - whereas two-thirds of folk identify as religious only 1 in somewhere between 25 and 40 embrace a homosexual lifestyle. And while the show has American, South Asia and East Asian characters, there are no Brits, Europeans, Africans, Australians or folk from the Pacific from what I've seen. In short it seems to be derived from the US SJW crowd rather than be reflective of the entirety of the globe. For comparison purposes TOS' crew has 2 Americans, a Scot, a Russian, an African, possibly a Japanese American (I'm a little fuzzy on Sulu's 'nationality') oh and Chapel was probably American too. Seems like they're more inclusive than the SJW crowd! Of course the plotlines may reflect that - TOS reflected the global cold war, amongst other things, but didn't make Russia specifically the villains where TRIBBLE will reflect America's political divide, with SJWs being the good guys, and Trump supporters the villains.

And on a side note if the characters were well crafted, and the storylines decent, I could live without White characters - one of my favourite movies is pretty much devoid of them, but it would be odd for Trek. The way TRIBBLE has gone about it though is by making their SJW value their sole value, and that's just not Trek.

Like crashdragon said, TRIBBLE isn't even worth watching via an illegal video site! :'(

• evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    So of the 9 listed Federation characters we have 4 females - 1 of whom is the lead, to 5 guys, only 3 of the 9 characters are White, and 3 of the characters are homosexual.

I don't see the problem.
    only 1 in somewhere between 25 and 40 embrace a homosexual lifestyle.

It's not a lifestyle to be chosen and embraced. My father did not choose to be g.ay, he simply is.
    Like crashdragon said, TRIBBLE isn't even worth watching via an illegal video site! :'(

I agree, but for vastly different reasons.

Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Dude, you're in the forums for a Star Trek game. People are going to talk about how they don't like it because this is the place for people who like Star Trek to go and talk about Star Trek. Not to mention you willingly came here. Like, you actually chose to read through an entire thread of opinions, and you still want to call people morons.

That's not nice.

Star Trek fans whine about the new instalment before it's aired. Wow, hold the bleeding front page. Perhaps I don't really care about not being nice to, I repeat, morons.
    This must be that vaunted SJW "inclusiveness" I've heard so much about. Too bad TRIBBLE's single season will be on Netflix in a couple years as CBS tries in vain to recoup their losses....when it happens, and it will, I'll think of sheep like you and laugh a little.

Nope, just good old fashion hostile towards moronic tosspots. Especially ones who think they can see the future.

@lapprenticel I get the feeling you'd see an 'agenda' in a box of cornflakes. You are unable to separate advertising from the show (for the bloody obvious reason it's not out yet) making you opinions worth about as much as reactionary, reading impaired, people like silverlobes. You also seem like a little bit of a tosser. Reported (first time I've ever done that).​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited September 2017
    So of the 9 listed Federation characters we have 4 females - 1 of whom is the lead, to 5 guys, only 3 of the 9 characters are White, and 3 of the characters are homosexual.

I don't see the problem.
    The problem is two-fold:
    - That it's being done as part of the creative process as 'box checking': Must include a ... must include a ... Must include a ... So much for the idea of just organically creating characters, and having those secondary characteristics as an afterthought. But this is a problem with SJWs: They see secondary characteristics as primary characteristics, and the way with which they let determine how they have to interact with and treat others, and by extension, the way which they then demand others to also interact with and treat others. These are characters, not Pokemon or boffs: Don't need to have them all ;)

-They have used these secondary characteristics which are irrelevant outside of specific plot points, as marketing lures, rather than something genuinely interesting about the character as a lure instead. How long did we have to wait to find out that Michael Burnham is part of the House of Sarek? Compared to how quickly did the producers announce that they were going to have a non-white female lead?

That's the problem ;)

• redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    not really; just people taking something jason isaacs said out of context​​
    What he said was nonsensical. Put it in whatever context you want.

Some of the earliest Star Trek: Discovery news revolved around the fact that "don't worry if you feel there are too many characters, several of them wont make it to the end of the season". Jason Isaacs character is at the top of the list of suspected characters to get "Game of Throne'd". I assumed his tweets and interviews was just him being irritated that his character is the first Star Trek captain to get offed mid-season. I don't think potential viewers should take him seriously.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    Well here's what Jason Isaacs said (New York Daily News gossip section):
    "I don't mean to sound irreverent when I say I don't care about the die-hard Trek fans, I only 'don't care' about them in the sense that I know they're all going to watch anyway. I look forward to having the fun of them being outraged, so they can sit up all night and talk about it with each other."

You could say he takes Star Trek fans for granted, but there's probably some truth in it.
  • banshirbanshir Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    Getting off on a tangent, but like silverlobes notes, the folk behind TRIBBLE are marketing it as an SJW platform. The TRIBBLE crew are the lead Black female, a homosexual science officer, a Pakistani lieutenant (soldier?), a female cadet, a female Indian security officer, a homosexual Hispanic doctor, and the captain who is from the southern US. The Shenzhou has a female Chinese Malaysian captain, and a homosexual Indian doctor.

(Yes in case it's not obvious characters are assumed to be White guys unless otherwise noted.)

So of the 9 listed Federation characters we have 4 females - 1 of whom is the lead, to 5 guys, only 3 of the 9 characters are White, and 3 of the characters are homosexual. There are no Buddhists, Christians, Muslims, or Shintoists listed despite this being a fundamental part of the identity of most people - whereas two-thirds of folk identify as religious only 1 in somewhere between 25 and 40 embrace a homosexual lifestyle. And while the show has American, South Asia and East Asian characters, there are no Brits, Europeans, Africans, Australians or folk from the Pacific from what I've seen. In short it seems to be derived from the US SJW crowd rather than be reflective of the entirety of the globe. For comparison purposes TOS' crew has 2 Americans, a Scot, a Russian, an African, possibly a Japanese American (I'm a little fuzzy on Sulu's 'nationality') oh and Chapel was probably American too. Seems like they're more inclusive than the SJW crowd! Of course the plotlines may reflect that - TOS reflected the global cold war, amongst other things, but didn't make Russia specifically the villains where TRIBBLE will reflect America's political divide, with SJWs being the good guys, and Trump supporters the villains.

And on a side note if the characters were well crafted, and the storylines decent, I could live without White characters - one of my favourite movies is pretty much devoid of them, but it would be odd for Trek. The way TRIBBLE has gone about it though is by making their SJW value their sole value, and that's just not Trek.

I wasn't planning to but seeing this post makes me want to watch the series even more. I see CBS All Access is only $5/month with an annual subscription.
  • disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    > @szim said:
    > Well here's what Jason Isaacs said (New York Daily News gossip section):
    > "I don't mean to sound irreverent when I say I don't care about the die-hard Trek fans, I only 'don't care' about them in the sense that I know they're all going to watch anyway. I look forward to having the fun of them being outraged, so they can sit up all night and talk about it with each other."
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > You could say he takes Star Trek fans for granted, but there's probably some truth in it.

Wow, that guy is a real jerk.
This discussion has been closed.