Install Arc
Options

JJ's back for JJ Wars Episode 9 ...

13»

Comments

• Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    trygvar13 wrote: »
    Not sure what this means yet, Abrams did some real good through the stuff he has done. It doesn't seem like Abrams style to rehash something, he usually goes out of his way to do something different or find a different look on it.

Really? Into Darkness was a cheap attempt at Wrath of Khan.

Incorrect. It has a guy named Khan in it and there's a scene of death by warp core radiation. There are no other similarities whatsoever between the films. ID mainly revolves around Marcus not Khan.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    artan42 wrote: »
    trygvar13 wrote: »
    Not sure what this means yet, Abrams did some real good through the stuff he has done. It doesn't seem like Abrams style to rehash something, he usually goes out of his way to do something different or find a different look on it.

Really? Into Darkness was a cheap attempt at Wrath of Khan.

Incorrect. It has a guy named Khan in it and there's a scene of death by warp core radiation. There are no other similarities whatsoever between the films. ID mainly revolves around Marcus not Khan.

You live in a state located in an Egyptian river, don't you?

List 'em.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    Aw, man... I think I have a bum copy of the TWOK Director's Cut!

I'm missing the space jump scene between Shatner and Montalban... I mean the two of them chewing the scene as they dodge debris... and, to think, they actually team up in the end?

And the scene where DeForest Kelley and Bibi Besch have to defuse the torpedo? Classic DeForest!

And the plot thread of Section 31... the fact that Nick Meyer had that foresight in 1982 to include the Federation's shadow-ops division, only to show that fear-mongering through the military industrial complex isn't the best course of action... how poignant!

I wonder if Paramount will give me another copy....
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    maniac20#5251 maniac20 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    I hate to burst bubbles but I was on stafff star wars celebration IV and managed to catch a panel where lucas was live streaming and he came out and stated he had scripts written for atleast 9 movies. Also to state kathleen kennedy was hand picked by lucas to run the show. I'm not saying there might not of been some altering to his original scripts for 7-9.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    lordrezeon wrote: »
    Episode 7 definitely suffered from a disconnect in how it was presented. In the opening crawl we are told that the Rebels won and the Empire was defeated, but once the actual action starts it appears as if nothing has changed since the end of Return of the Jedi. The Empire and Rebellion might have changed their names, but the status quo between them still remains. It ultimately rendered everything that happened in the original trilogy irrelevant.

Requoting this post, because another thing the Legends continuity did occurred to me. Specifically, Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords and The New Jedi Order both made the observation that neither the Jedi nor the Sith are really correct about the nature of the Force.

Consider this: the Jedi philosophy and value system and the Sith philosophy are diametrically opposed from one another (at least in theory), but both work for the user equally well whether the user is Light or Dark. It's a logical disconnect that goes to the very heart of the franchise. And this conflict has, as observed by Maz Kanata in The Force Awakens, existed pretty much from the beginning of sentient beings being able to use the Force, with no resolution in sight eleventy bazillion years later in the half-century or so spanned by the movies.

Kreia in KOTOR2 came up with an interesting solution to this dilemma:
    End the perpetual Jedi-Sith conflicts permanently by using the player character or Darth Nihilus (either one works) to kill the Force entirely.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,023 Community Moderator
    The Galaxy needs Kyle Katarn.
    A power isn't inherrantly good or evil. Its how you use it that matters.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    Well sadly Kyle no longer exists, but it seems like Kanan Jarus is being tempered into a hybrid of him and Rahm Kohta.

Right before the big licensing sell out to Disney they had a number of projects set in an era called "Dawn of the Jedi" which shows that the Jedi and Sith were bastardizations of an even older religion based on balancing the light and dark. This old religion existed for thousands of years in isolation before collapsing after a conflict broke out with outsiders. The whole thing got cut short due to the buyout and had to have a hastily done ending.

As for Lucas having drafts for future movies... I heard that when they made episode 7 they politely declined to use those ideas, and went the current route instead. Lucas is kind of out of the loop now.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I hate to burst bubbles but I was on stafff star wars celebration IV and managed to catch a panel where lucas was live streaming and he came out and stated he had scripts written for atleast 9 movies. Also to state kathleen kennedy was hand picked by lucas to run the show. I'm not saying there might not of been some altering to his original scripts for 7-9.

It's known that Lucas had scripts for a sequel trilogy written when he sold Star Wars to Disney. It's also been confirmed that Disney basically tossed them in the trash and went their own direction.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    some of the speculation about the meaning of the phrase "Last Jedi" is that Luke will teach Rey to use the Force, but not to be a Jedi as he's realized the Jedi Order is a failure.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    seriousxenoseriousxeno Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Yeah... it hasn't officially been confirmed yet, but a Death Star is clearly visible on the packaging art for Kylo Ren's custom star fighter. Of course that is only the beginning of the oversized equipment that the First Order has up its sleeves for Ep 8.

For the First Order allegedly being resource starved compared to the Old Empire they actually seem to be better equipped. Of course part of that seems to be JJ's philosophy that bigger is always better, like how he upsized the ships in his Star Trek films. It kind of makes you wonder if he is compensating for something... >:)

This has to be false. I'm looking at the artwork for the Revell kit of that ship and yes it has a cheap CGI Death Star in the background.

HOWEVER, so does every other recent kit from Revell. I might also add that the TIE fighters (2 of them) in the background are the original trilogy versions, not the white-paneled First Order fighters. This is simply a bad choice of background is all.

So no need to pull out the pitchforks just yet. There will be a big First Order weapon, but it is most definitely not a Death Star.
    latest?cb=20090525051807&path-prefix=en
    "Let them eat static!"
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Yeah... it hasn't officially been confirmed yet, but a Death Star is clearly visible on the packaging art for Kylo Ren's custom star fighter. Of course that is only the beginning of the oversized equipment that the First Order has up its sleeves for Ep 8.

For the First Order allegedly being resource starved compared to the Old Empire they actually seem to be better equipped. Of course part of that seems to be JJ's philosophy that bigger is always better, like how he upsized the ships in his Star Trek films. It kind of makes you wonder if he is compensating for something... >:)

This has to be false. I'm looking at the artwork for the Revell kit of that ship and yes it has a cheap CGI Death Star in the background.

HOWEVER, so does every other recent kit from Revell. I might also add that the TIE fighters (2 of them) in the background are the original trilogy versions, not the white-paneled First Order fighters. This is simply a bad choice of background is all.

So no need to pull out the pitchforks just yet. There will be a big First Order weapon, but it is most definitely not a Death Star.

Kylo Ren's superior Legends counterpart, Jacen Solo / Darth Caedus, made extensive use of flow-walking, a Force ability that allows people to visit the past, without the ability to influence or change things. Perhaps this is a hint that Kylo Ren will use this ability to watch his idol, Darth Vader, in action?
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,023 Community Moderator
    Kylo Ren's superior Legends counterpart, Jacen Solo / Darth Caedus, made extensive use of flow-walking, a Force ability that allows people to visit the past, without the ability to influence or change things. Perhaps this is a hint that Kylo Ren will use this ability to watch his idol, Darth Vader, in action?

And then he finds out Darth Vader was angsty guy before he became Darth Vader.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)