test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

To those about to weather Hurricane Irma (as I am)

jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
Be smart, be safe, be alert. Looking forward to seeing you on the other side of the storm.
boldly-watched.png

Comments

• Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,320 Arc User
    Always good advice to be cautious when dealing with mother nature. Good luck to those involved.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Another possibility is to move to a boring location where there is no need to worry about hurricanes, tornadoes, or earthquakes. It doesn't help now, but it will help for the next major hurricane.
  • Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    #FloridaStrong
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    I don't mean to be rude but there is already a hurricane thread that you could of posted in.

By the way Hurricane Irma has been upgraded back to category 4, only just inside that category though, the Keys should of been hit by now and i hope Keys West will still exist after Irma has passed through.
    mhall85 wrote: »
    #FloridaStrong

Please lets not forget Barbuda, Saint Martin, Cuba and other places that have been hit by this hurricane. More than anything everyone should be banding together to wish each other well and support each other. hashtag: IrmasStrongSurvivors
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    Another possibility is to move to a boring location where there is no need to worry about hurricanes, tornadoes, or earthquakes. It doesn't help now, but it will help for the next major hurricane.
    Where, exactly, is this wonderland? Earthquakes range up and down the West Coast, and are starting to develop in the lower regions of the Midwest thanks to fracking and drainage of the Oglalla Aquifer. Tornadoes aren't uncommon in a range from Texas up northward into Canada. The East Coast is subject to hurricanes and other storms (the major difference between a Cat 2 hurricane and a good solid nor'wester, after all, is primarily the direction from which it comes and the amount of rotation). Oh, and if you head into the Pacific Northwest, where earthquakes have generally been a fairly minor nuisance, you have to learn to be at peace living next door to one or more volcanoes (I can see Mt. Rainier from my window; the second eruption of Mt. St. Helens was a colossal dirty cauliflower in the southern sky).

North America is one of the most weather- and geologically-raddled continents on Earth. On the other hand, you could always try Australia, where what wants to kill you is mostly the wildlife... :wink:
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    The UK is particularity flood prone depending one's location, everything else is mostly harmless
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
      The UK is particularity flood prone depending one's location, everything else is mostly harmless

Living uphill isn't difficult. Most big cities in the North don't flood, nor does most of Scotland. Living's cheaper too.

We also don't get hurricanes, tornadoes, wildfires, duststorms, monsoons, earthquakes, regional flooding, famine, pestilence, war, or plague (well, not since Victorian times anyway), we still get death however, I believe Sweden is the only country that dosn't get that any more.​​
      22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
      Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
      JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
      'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
      'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
      '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
      'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
      '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    • Options
      artan42 wrote: »

Living uphill isn't difficult. Most big cities in the North don't flood, nor does most of Scotland. Living's cheaper too.

We also don't get hurricanes, tornadoes, wildfires, duststorms, monsoons, earthquakes, regional flooding, famine, pestilence, war, or plague (well, not since Victorian times anyway), we still get death however, I believe Sweden is the only country that dosn't get that any more.​​

I've known winds to gust past 100mph in winter storms up where I am though it is rare that happens
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      • Options
        starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
        I live in central North Carolina. It's hilly country so flooding isn't that much of an issue, but we get ice storms in the winter, summer thunderstorms that can spawn hail and tornadoes, and there's parts of the major towns around here that frequently have minor flooding when there's a big rain: there's an apartment complex in Chapel Hill that is right on Bolin Creek, and it's not that uncommon to see their parking lot with ankle-deep water. My computer teacher's backyard would flood the same way; he dealt with it by building a berm between the yard and his house.

Bad weather and natural disasters are a fact of life no matter where you live, all you can do is prepare for what's likely in your region. Why are there millions of people on the coast vulnerable to hurricanes? For one thing, because there's crucial shipping infrastructure on the coast that needs people to work it, and those people need people providing resources for them, and it's turtles all the way down.
        "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
        — Sabaton, "Great War"
        VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
      • Options
        Only thing you could do in high risk zones is improve building codes, a structure in hurricane zones that is above the surge and stress tested to high winds would save lives. Build them to be tough and keep the occupants alive until help gets to them
        NMXb2ph.png
        • Options
          galattgalatt Member Posts: 707 Arc User
          > @artan42 said:
          > theraven2378 wrote: »
          >
          > The UK is particularity flood prone depending one's location, everything else is mostly harmless
          >
          >
          >
          >
          > Living uphill isn't difficult. Most big cities in the North don't flood, nor does most of Scotland. Living's cheaper too.
          >
          > We also don't get hurricanes, tornadoes, ​​

http://www.ustornadoes.com/2013/07/25/from-domestic-to-international-tornadoes-around-the-world/

Mother nature begs to differ sir
          sig_picture_resize_by_gx_9901-db9d1v1.png
        • Options
          starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
          jonsills wrote: »
          starkaos wrote: »
          Where, exactly, is this wonderland? Earthquakes range up and down the West Coast, and are starting to develop in the lower regions of the Midwest thanks to fracking and drainage of the Oglalla Aquifer. Tornadoes aren't uncommon in a range from Texas up northward into Canada. The East Coast is subject to hurricanes and other storms (the major difference between a Cat 2 hurricane and a good solid nor'wester, after all, is primarily the direction from which it comes and the amount of rotation). Oh, and if you head into the Pacific Northwest, where earthquakes have generally been a fairly minor nuisance, you have to learn to be at peace living next door to one or more volcanoes (I can see Mt. Rainier from my window; the second eruption of Mt. St. Helens was a colossal dirty cauliflower in the southern sky).

North America is one of the most weather- and geologically-raddled continents on Earth. On the other hand, you could always try Australia, where what wants to kill you is mostly the wildlife... :wink:

Saskatchewan in Canada. Only problem is the winters can get cold, but people can always go on vacation to somewhere warmer. Tornadoes only last for a few hours at the most so they can never cause the devastation that other natural disasters can cause.
        • Options
          jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
          I don't mean to be rude but there is already a hurricane thread that you could of posted in.

Perhaps. But this one is mine.
          boldly-watched.png
        • Options
          edited September 2017
          galatt wrote: »
          > @artan42 said:
          >
          > The UK is particularity flood prone depending one's location, everything else is mostly harmless
          >
          >
          >
          >
          > Living uphill isn't difficult. Most big cities in the North don't flood, nor does most of Scotland. Living's cheaper too.
          >

http://www.ustornadoes.com/2013/07/25/from-domestic-to-international-tornadoes-around-the-world/

The most exciting thing recently was September 13th 2016 , power out for about four hours across five towns and just epic lightning. What a show
          NMXb2ph.png
          • Options
            markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
            jonsills wrote: »
            Scientia-Very-cute-platypus.jpg
            Guess who's deadly? THIS GUY! :p
            -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
            My character Tsin'xing
            Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
          • Options
            Yep. Even the goofy-looking, seemingly completely harmless critters there hide poisoned stingers in their hind legs.
            Lorna-Wing-sig.png
          • Options
            artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
            galatt wrote: »
            > @artan42 said:
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >

Ha! Meteorologically speaking they might count as tornadoes but practically they're non existent. I can remember hearing of two news worthy ones in living memory and they damaged a few roofs.
            22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
            Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
            JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
            'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
            'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
            '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
            'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
            '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
          • Options
            Update on Irma on the other hurricane Irma thread. Sufficed to say Irma is no longer a signifcant threat any more.
          • Options
            Update on Irma on the other hurricane Irma thread. Sufficed to say Irma is no longer a signifcant threat any more.
            That, of course, depends largely on your definition of "significant threat". Tropical Storm Irma is still rolling northward into Georgia, with winds fully capable of spinning off yet more tornadoes, and is predicted to still be a coherent storm as it hits Mississippi and Tennessee. (Sustained winds of 50 mph may be less dangerous and destructive than sustained winds of 135 mph, but it's still nothing to sneer at.)
            Lorna-Wing-sig.png
          • Options
            edited September 2017
            Sorry if i wasn't more clearer, i was specifically referring to the hurricane itself, not the tropical storm. I also mentioned that elsewhere on the other hurricane Irma thread.
          • Options
            jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
            jbmonroe wrote: »
            Be smart, be safe, be alert. Looking forward to seeing you on the other side of the storm.

Hopefully you and everyone around you were able to endure the hurricane relatively unscathed.

• Options
            Happy & humbled to report that my family made it through, safe and sound.

There is still a TON of people without power, but thankfully, we only lost power for about 24 hours. Spotty flooding in some areas around me, but places like Jacksonville and Miami are hurting in different ways. Also, the remnants of Irma are causing problems in Georgia, South Carolina, and other states (flooding, power outages, etc.)... which is hampering the Florida evacuees who are trying to return home.

Suffice to say: it's a mess.

It could have been SO MUCH worse, but of course, that's not to say it wasn't worse in other places. Aside from all the islands & Cuba, the Florida Keys were hit very hard. It will take a long time to recover, even in the US regions.
          • Options
            mhall85 wrote: »
            Happy & humbled to report that my family made it through, safe and sound.

There is still a TON of people without power, but thankfully, we only lost power for about 24 hours. Spotty flooding in some areas around me, but places like Jacksonville and Miami are hurting in different ways. Also, the remnants of Irma are causing problems in Georgia, South Carolina, and other states (flooding, power outages, etc.)... which is hampering the Florida evacuees who are trying to return home.

Suffice to say: it's a mess.

It could have been SO MUCH worse, but of course, that's not to say it wasn't worse in other places. Aside from all the islands & Cuba, the Florida Keys were hit very hard. It will take a long time to recover, even in the US regions.

Good to hear that you and your family are safe
            NMXb2ph.png
            • Options
              Another Hurricane is coming through, hurricane Maria is going to hit the Leeward islands directly within the next half a day or so, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic and Haiti are going to be hit pretty hard, according to the projected path, it won't go anywher near Cuba or the United States. Maria is likely to deflect off into what remains of Jose which seems to be going in circles the past few days.

According to another report there is potential for yet another hurricane after Maria, if accurate it will be hurricane Lee, unknown where it will start and what it's path is or if it will even gain enough strength to become threatening.
            • Options
              L comes before M, and names don't apply to storms until they reach tropical storm level. Lee is already a named storm, and is currently a tropical depression. It is not expected to re-intensify into a tropical storm, and looks to be well into the Atlantic, away from affected areas.

As for Maria, no one wants to see more devastation hit those islands. :frowning: Prayers to those people.

Welcome to the height of hurricane season, kids! It happens every year, and it just shows how lucky we are that more storms don't hit heavily populated areas.
            • Options
              Wind speeds of Maria have been calculated at 125mph putting it at Category 4
              NMXb2ph.png
              • Options
                Hurricane Maria has hit the island of Dominica with winds packing 160 mph (Category 5 on the Saffir-Simpson scale
                NMXb2ph.png
                • Options
                  markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
                  As Chef Hatchet once said "try not to die"
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkg10hQutwA
                  -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                  My character Tsin'xing
                  Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg