test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Build That Ship You've Always Wanted with Qthulu's Guides!

2»

Comments

• questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    burstorion wrote: »
    I have an intresting tricboat idea for the blockade runner (well, it was adapted from a 'nuke runner' I made a while back) Quest ...

Fore - Vaad tric cluster,Tricobalt, kentari (optional fore weapon here - maybe a dbb or omni, or the elachi torp, recommendation would be a terran set piece torp or energy weapon for 2pc)
    Aft - 2x tric mines and the bioneural (or one tric mine and something else if you think one mine is enough)

sets - at least 2pc amaco/khg for the projectile boost, 2pc terran (console and weapon) rest is pretty much to taste

com tac - tt1,apb1,spread/hyt3,apb3
    ltc tac - tt1,klw2,bo3/crf2/csv2/apo1 (left to taste)
    lt eng - et1, epts2
    lt eng - epta1, a2b1
    ens sci - he1

Due to the lack of science/aux needing powers, I decided to base the build on a half a2b - the kentari is a cheap, effective pwo proc engine, so will drag the cluster and tric to firing position quickly (doffs are likely 3x pwo, 3x a2bs) - allowing a quick firing rate (while looking pretty awesome throwing out rockets here and there), the tric mines and cluster (tip - a cluster =/= apb3) providing punch (the mines will need manual control)

with this build, you should easily get a lot of uptime on amp and have 125 engine and shield

Personally, when thinking about a trico build, i tend to include these:
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Hargh'peng_Torpedo_Launcher

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Bio-neural_Warhead

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Silent_Enemy_Set#Elachi_Subspace_Torpedo_Launcher

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Vaadwaur_Cluster_Torpedo

The Kentari torpedo is a nice touch with the high yield nuke.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • septicnecrosissepticnecrosis Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    What is an entry level ship, if it isn't a ship being piloted by an entry level player?

For the purpose of the articles, an entry level ship is one cobbled together from story rewards and drops, without any deeper thought as to how they fit together. A completely green player could be flying something like that, or even someone who has been in the game for years but never really gave any thought to their ship.

In terms of when a player should start considering optimisation, I would say that it comes in the L40-L50 range, when you start into teamed PvE and/or have reached the Delta Quadrant. Everything up to that point is pretty forgiving.
    Maybe you could write an article on what is the easiest intermediate build to get for a T6 ship.

That's pretty much what the series is about - how to optimise for Advanced content (which is effectively "intermediate" compared to Normal and Elite). It's really about getting the right XII gear on your ship, and making sure your abilities all line up - you can do this with the Breen or Solanae set and a matching set of XII weapons (Polaron, if Breen). With an organised set of abilities, you can take that build into Normal PvE and get a handle on Optionals before Advanced PvE (the main risk in Advanced PvE is to be teamed with unoptimised ships or people ignoring Optionals). For me, "intermediate" covers everyone up to, and including, level 60 players in T6 ships. "Advanced" for me is people doing 50k and up, playing Elite content, and by that yardstick I don't even count myself as "Advanced" - I'm very comfortable with my XII gear playing non-Elite content, even though I'm helping people get to 80k.
    And I hope you meant it when you said my feedback was helpful, because that's where I'm going with this.

What purpose does lying serve? The more players with builds capable of comfortably handling Advanced content, the better the experience for all of us. The more I learn about other players and their motivations, the better I can tailor my articles to help them. In an ideal world we'll all be flying Advanced-ready ships, at minimal investment, and be free to have all the fun we can handle.

• burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    I have an intresting tricboat idea for the blockade runner (well, it was adapted from a 'nuke runner' I made a while back) Quest ...

Fore - Vaad tric cluster,Tricobalt, kentari (optional fore weapon here - maybe a dbb or omni, or the elachi torp, recommendation would be a terran set piece torp or energy weapon for 2pc)
    Aft - 2x tric mines and the bioneural (or one tric mine and something else if you think one mine is enough)

sets - at least 2pc amaco/khg for the projectile boost, 2pc terran (console and weapon) rest is pretty much to taste

lt eng - et1, epts2
    lt eng - epta1, a2b1
    ens sci - he1

Due to the lack of science/aux needing powers, I decided to base the build on a half a2b - the kentari is a cheap, effective pwo proc engine, so will drag the cluster and tric to firing position quickly (doffs are likely 3x pwo, 3x a2bs) - allowing a quick firing rate (while looking pretty awesome throwing out rockets here and there), the tric mines and cluster (tip - a cluster =/= apb3) providing punch (the mines will need manual control)

with this build, you should easily get a lot of uptime on amp and have 125 engine and shield

I got inspired and made the Chell boalg into a trico build based on the build I suggested (tric cluster, tric, kentari, adv temp chroniton fore; bioneual,2x tric and an omni aft) - able to use kinetic magnet, it means those mines will hit your target (note - cluster mine incurs a mine gcd on the mines, but oddly the same does not apply to the torp) - as its a proof of concept, all the gear is generic/off the shelf vr xii but its still pretty effective (and amazing to see; so many rifts and explosions) - not a dps king; but why be a dps king when you can blow stuff up in style? :grin:

if or when I get khg for it/spire consoles/amp warp core and so on (and grow up some good modded trics), it'll definitely be one of my favourite ships to goof around in, second only to my boomstick

• shaunster5shaunster5 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Is it just me, or is this article missing one very important thing - where to find Qthulu's guides! I'd love to check them out, but I have no idea where they are and my Google-fu seems to be failing me.
    @shaunster5

It's the underlined text in the article, and it points here: https://www.reddit.com/r/stobuilds/wiki/tenforward

Listed in sequence, from top to bottom. Don't mind the numbers, the articles were written after the first Ten Forward stream, so they currently start at 2, not 1.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    shaunster5 wrote: »
    Is it just me, or is this article missing one very important thing - where to find Qthulu's guides! I'd love to check them out, but I have no idea where they are and my Google-fu seems to be failing me.

there was a link in the article when i checked, and it should still be there

but in case it vanished for some weird reason, here it is: https://www.reddit.com/r/stobuilds/wiki/tenforward​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User

lt eng - et1, epts2
    lt eng - epta1, a2b1
    ens sci - he1

I got inspired and made the Chell boalg into a trico build based on the build I suggested (tric cluster, tric, kentari, adv temp chroniton fore; bioneual,2x tric and an omni aft) - able to use kinetic magnet, it means those mines will hit your target (note - cluster mine incurs a mine gcd on the mines, but oddly the same does not apply to the torp) - as its a proof of concept, all the gear is generic/off the shelf vr xii but its still pretty effective (and amazing to see; so many rifts and explosions) - not a dps king; but why be a dps king when you can blow stuff up in style? :grin:

if or when I get khg for it/spire consoles/amp warp core and so on (and grow up some good modded trics), it'll definitely be one of my favourite ships to goof around in, second only to my boomstick

I just remembered that there is also a new isolitic trico torpedo in the lobi store.
    Personally i don't have enough lobi saved up, but i figured I'd mention it as an option.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • kronin#4685 kronin Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    @septicnecrosis: The first thing one needs to know when designing an entry level T6/T5U ship is, what sets and mission gear are available to them. Am I wrong, or did the devs change the order of the mission arcs? If so, that would definitely make it harder to answer that question. Also, when the reputation system is first unlocked, not all of them are available. Now, I don't expect a ship with this kind of gear to dominate in elite queues, but it would be nice to be able to do the missions without respawning all the time. (About that, are the featured missions harder than the regular ones?) Being able to contribute in a team is also nice, instead of being the one to always die and hope the real players win for you.
    As for my toughest character, (Romulan, Fed side) I have not even touched the Breen or Iconian arcs. I have completed parts of the following arcs; Yesterday's War, Borg Advance, New Romulus, Solanae Dyson, Delta, Future Proof and New Frontiers. I've completed the other arcs. For Reputations, I've completed Omega, New Romulus, 8472, and Terran. I am at tier 4 with the Lukari, and tier 2 with Nukara, Dyson and Temporal. I feel like that should be plenty of gear to work with, but, what actually works and what doesn't? Or, What works well together and what doesn't? My two best builds for this character are a plasma torp spam with the Borg and Romulan rep spam torpedoes, and a phaser-quantum drain build based on the sunrise set.
    The first thing one needs to know when designing an entry level T6/T5U ship is, what sets and mission gear are available to them.

Not sure if this is intended as information, or accusation? At any rate, one has to be wary about hard lines on equipment - that's why it's only mentioned for one build, the torpedo build, because the torpedo build is absolutely reliant on those items. Energy or mixed builds don't have the same pressure. Given that the Delta Quadrant is unlocked at L50 (the same as full PvE), XII gear kicks in at L45, limited PvE access earlier still, and with some players also having completed Featured Episodes out of sequence, the articles are written fairly loosely when it comes to gear - you could run PvE in an XI geared T4, though I wouldn't try that above Normal without a good team or a very good handle on abilities.

STOBuilds is the appropriate place to post your builds for critique and assistance, but I can render some brief guidance here. If you have the Sunrise set then we may as well say you have the Quantum Phase ship set from Stormbound, and it's one of the better sets in the game, if not the best free one. It, and XII gear, would be enough to comfortably handle advanced content. The articles and chaining guides will cover how to keep your skills on rotation, and the internal wiki can advise on what consoles to fill out the build with (more-or-less the relevant Universals, set bonuses, and Vulnerability Locators).

Regarding the plasma build, I would expect the AMACO/KHG set (the first name in torpedo sets) although there's an argument for the Romulan 2-piece given that the engines are very competitive now. The boost to the plasma torpedoes isn't overly significant, but combined with the Terran reputation speed boost trait it can make life a bit easier (especially since the torpedoes track). The bonus to EPG would also be useful if you happened to slot the Particle Emission Plasma, although it's hard to advise given only 2 weapons out of a potential 8, and no clue as to the overall role of the ship.

Anyhow, if you post either build at STOBuilds, using the template, I can look at them in more detail. Like I said before, the QP set is the core of most budget energy/mixed builds, and I personally run a plasma torpedo setup on an APU, so there won't be any difficulty in getting either of them ready for Advanced queues.
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User

lt eng - et1, epts2
    lt eng - epta1, a2b1
    ens sci - he1

I just remembered that there is also a new isolitic trico torpedo in the lobi store.
    Personally i don't have enough lobi saved up, but i figured I'd mention it as an option.

Problem is Quest that trics all have a cd between each other (well, most do; tric types are odd like that), so an all tric setup is detrimental to a build but it'd definitely be tempting to use a lobi tric in the setup over standard type in that case, albeit its even better if its not locked to tric gcd

• chadhughes145chadhughes145 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    Bah. All Federation lies and propaganda! Just go in with a light cruiser and common MKI gear. You will be fine. >:):p