test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is it the goal of EVERY Starfleet officer to become a captain?

mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
So, after making an off-hand comment on STO Reddit about the Geordi hype, and thus, spending a good 24 hours defending/explaining said comment to avoid fury and downvotes (the joys of Reddit-ing with Trek fans, LOL)... I do think this is an interesting question.

It is, most certainly, a trope of this IP. It's due in large part to the head-of-the-ship-as-leading-man mentality of the 60s, but I don't think the franchise has really evolved past this. With TNG, the Kirk archetype was split between Riker and Picard, with Picard staying on the ship more often... and this worked to some degree, but thanks to Patrick Stewart's inarguable acting chops, the captain still demanded most of the attention. When Ben Sisko appears in DS9, we see a commander placed in charge of an outpost... but, then that commander got a ship, and it quickly became apparent that the commander "needed" to be a captain. I think the producers of DSC wanted to move away from the captain-as-focal-point model, but I doubt Burnham will stay out of the captain's chair forever (and I think many fans agree).

So, I pose the question: is it the goal of every Starfleet officer to become a captain, especially captain of a ship? Are you a "failed officer" if you DON'T reach this point?

For me, I think the answer is an emphatic "no," and I have examplesI would bring up in follow-up posts... but, I'm curious as to everyone's thoughts!
d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg

Comments

• tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    The obvious answer to your question is: I can't see inside someone's head. However, while I would presume that becoming a captain is a wish held by many officers, that doesn't need to be something everyone wants to, knowing how different people can be.

And every officer becoming a captain eventually, unless they die in a [insert stupid on-screen death occasion here]... yeah, right. How many people serving in the army reach senior officer ranks in modern military? Doubt it would be much different in Star Trek's universe.
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    Well, O'Brien had very little ambition to become a Captain. In one episode, he explicitly expressed his desire to remain an enlisted man (and he was a Lieutenant in TNG).
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,302 Community Moderator
    Despite the claim that Starfleet is not a military organization, its members do hold rank. Any career progression would certainly and eventually take one to the rank of captain, though that would not necessarily mean they would become captain of a ship. If one means to make a career of Starfleet, then attaining the rank of captain would be a goal, although command of a ship would not necessarily be a goal. There are plenty officers in Starfleet that do not pursue the command track.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • admiralnatadmiralnat Member Posts: 22,432 Arc User
    *Looks to the millions of admirals* Nope, it's the goal to become admiral, and we're succeeding. Every one of us.​​
    2jwMZnF.gif
    Winning.
    It's what I do. It's what I just did. It's what I'm about to do again. It's being undisputed emperor of an empire that cannot be disproved as the most powerful intergalactic empire in the entire universe; I always win, and everything I've won will definitely be won again... by me. It's my signature move, and thus, it's my signature. Problem, Sonic? Yeah, I mean you, Sonic, because you're being beat up, despite your being super. You can't even hit Shadow back, can you? Nope, he's too strong for you. Of course, I'm not Shadow, I'm the Super Emerald fueled fox that's pulling the strings; trust me, the fight would only be a few frames long if I were in it personally. Oh, and here's something for all you guys thinking you can win Last Post Wins 3.0; trust me, I'll be around a long while after the sun has already consumed the Earth while I sit out with the forum servers on Titan. Yes, I mean Titan... that comparatively little moon orbiting Saturn. It's a nice little place in a version of our solar system where the sun is a lot bigger. I mean, Mars will last longer than your precious Earth, but by then, it'll be one hot planet... and I figure Saturn's moon will be about the right temperate for a super-powered warlord. Oh, and trust me, I packed a lot of rings, and I mean a lot. Trillions, in fact, so I'll never run out of rings to power my super form. Besides, if I start to run out, I can just chaos control more rings into my reach. It's quite easy, really. You should try it. Granted, you'll never have the 7 Super Emeralds that I have in my possession, nor the Master Emerald that I've got hidden away somewhere... absorbed into my body thanks to Sonic logic, but whatever. I win. Again. I'm not kidding, either. Just check Last Post Wins, and if the last post isn't mine, it soon will be. Very, very soon. You can count on it. Seriously. By the way, if you're wondering, there's a really great Super Tails sprite sheet out there... somewhere... by some guy named shadow_91. These sprites are really great. Like, really good. Quality. Just like what I like to see in a sprite sheet. Also, credit to Joe T.E., his Sonic Battle style Super Sonic sprites have a great palette for a Super Sonic being beat up by Super Shadow, who's palette is from a Super Shadow sheet of unknown origin, but it turns out they were "borrowed" from a better sheet made by a certain Domenico. Oh, and the gif is actually a custom made super version of a similar gif, of which there are only 3 or 4 copies to be found by Google, and even then, evidently of an unknown source. Yep, it's one of those things. Stuff people have made, spread around, only for it to vanish and you to be the only person who still has a copy, not even knowing where it came from... like, literally at all. Oh, and anyone notice that Shadow's little chaos snap blast thingies are red and blue now? Yeah, I changed it. Problem, fans of purple? Yeah, I know you got a problem with that one, but you can just deal with it. After all, according to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly... alright, alright, I'll spare you the entire Bee Movie script, just Google it if you want. By the way, ever wonder how your characters would've ended up if they evolved in another universe? Yeah, that. Think about it. Ok, so you probably didn't bother reading up to here, but whatever, here's a surprise for you guys over at ESD (RP) who were crazy enough to read this: Emperor Nat of the mcfreakin' Terran Empire is gonna be right all along! The universe is gonna go BOOM! *Thumbs up to the insanity*
    Oh, now don't tell me you want in on all this! Well, ok. Look this that Egg Pawn hanging outside your window, pointing his laser rifle at you, waiting for my next order. He's doing his part. He helps conquer the weak-minded. He roboticizes the weak-bodied. Heck, he even helps keep the useless people from causing any trouble, but you know what? Join. Find the closest Nataran Empire roboticization center near you and join the ranks, before the ranks find you. Oh, I know, you figure it must be so satisfying to know I basically rule the world now, and you know what? It is, but do you want to know the true definition of satisfaction? Well, let me tell you a little story. One day, you see a brand new event. They're giving out boxes that give old event stuff. Your dilithium is plentiful. You buy a whole lot of Phoenix packs on your main, and open them all. You get one epic token. Then, you decide, that since you have all the Breen ships and don't give a damn about the others, you exchange it for an ultra rare, and grab yourself a Jem'Hadar Attack Ship and for the hell of it, a Voth Bulwark. You open both, leaving the Bulwark in your vast masses of starships as you jump into the bugship and deck it out, deck by deck, into the most awesome Jem'Hadar ship you can. You fly it. You enjoy it. Eventually, you get bored and leave, leaving the old Bulwark never flown... until later. Your main is long complete. Your new alt main, based off some character you pulled out of nothing just to explain away some starship being in service without the command of your dear admiral, is also complete. Mostly. Their reps and doffs are hard at work, getting you stuff. You realize the potential, and head back for your dear admiral, pull the most Voth themed build you can out of thin air, and suit up in your giant ship in the shape of you know what. You head out... and cause all sorts of havoc. Enemies scream out your name as their very life is drained away by your swarms of Aceton Assimilators. They complain to the devs of your OPness when you revive yourself from death every time you die. Do you show any form of mercy? No. After all, this isn't the United Federation of Planets, this is mother frakkin' Starfleet, where you explore strange new worlds and kick butt never kicked before. Oh, and you realize that I just wrote another speech rivaling your own signature. Cool. Oh, wait, that's just the original draft, it is part of my signature now. Oh, and yes, I am aware that I have become a Canadian Regent; one day, sooner than you'd expect, we'll suddenly decide to take over the world and declare an "alliance", and I shall become it's Regent. You know, like the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance in the mirror universe of our beloved Star Trek. Oh, who'll we be taking over with? I dunno, maybe [REDACTED], or maybe aliens from outer space. Guess you'll have to wait and find out, won't we? Until then, don't ask too many questions, or else my Breen allies on Titania might pick up on your -- [REDACTED BY BREEN CONFEDERACY FOR REASONS] Also, psst... keep an eye out for flying Tribbles! Also walls. Big, great walls, separating entire continents apart. Walls patrolled by Tribbles. Flying Tribbles. Flying Nukara Tribbles. Don't worry, it's not like they were on Venus with a herd of Tholians or anything, they just like the extreme heat and brutal weather like acid rain and hurricane force winds as the norm. Oh, and definitely keep your eye out on any two-tailed foxes, because if they ain't glowing, they're definitely an imposter. Possibly an Undine, we caught one of those once in my place once. Oh, and if you find a two-tailed fox that doesn't like the cold... most certainly ask him to say sorry. If he refuses, DESTROY HIM WITH A DOOMSDAY MACHINE, BECAUSE THERE'S NOTHING ELSE THAT WOULD BE ENOUGH AGAINST SUCH AN OVERPOWERED IMPOSTER!

tr;dr, I am winning last post wins 3.0. Thank you for your time.
    Oh, look, an explosion...
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    If it was the goal of every Starfleet Officer to become a captain, then Riker would have become a Captain far earlier than he did instead of staying as First Officer for years under Picard. Just like every company, not everyone wants to be the boss, President, or CEO. After all, not everyone can handle the stress of leadership.
  • lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    Well considering that they have an entire science division, a lot of personnel seem to join simply to have access to advanced mobile research facilities. Voyager had an episode where Janeway confronted a junior crewman who she felt was only giving the bare minimum effort, the crewman informed her that he only joined Starfleet to pad out his resume so he could get a job elsewhere.

Just as in real life some people join out of a sense of duty or to achieve some secondary goal, but lack the ambition or commitment to advance beyond that.
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    starkaos wrote: »
    If it was the goal of every Starfleet Officer to become a captain, then Riker would have become a Captain far earlier than he did instead of staying as First Officer for years under Picard. Just like every company, not everyone wants to be the boss, President, or CEO. After all, not everyone can handle the stress of leadership.

Yes. This is the one thing I think some Trek fans overlook: leadership.

Oh, sure, almost ALL Trek fans get to see a leader (in the form of their favorite captain) succeed... but that is mainly because of the writing of the story. Our heroes succeed because their writers allow them to succeed. Sink those notions into reality, and I think the view changes dramatically. To be blunt: not everyone is cut out to be a leader. Further, a leader is more than a Type-A personality who is brash and daring.

You bring up Riker, and that was one of the characters I was thinking about while considering this. He was supposed to be very "Kirk-like," by design... even down to the middle initial, LOL. Although he seemed to excel as a First Officer, he turned down command offers three times before it was thrust onto him in "Best Of Both Worlds." Was he a "bad officer" for declining those command opportunities? No, I don't think so... especially considering the experience he gained through that ordeal. Was he a "bad officer" for not accepting the next command AFTER that, seemingly having nothing left to prove? That is a far more interesting question, I think, and a bit more difficult to answer. After all, his success against the Borg was more luck than anything else (thanks to the writing), and he had a few times after that where his command descisions were less than successful (again, due to writing). Eventually, of course, he accepts promotion and fulfills the hopes of those that trained and recommended him for promotion.

Still, even if it was due to the writing of the character, I think Riker is the kind of Starfleet officer who IS supposed to be a captain... so, for that officer to avoid or stagnate towards that goal could be seen as a waste.
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Geordi was seen as a Captain on Voyager.

Yes, many pointed that out to me, LOL.

Part of my issue with this trope is that STO falls into it far too often... want a character in the game? Well, we GOTTA make them a captain!

No, this isn't always the case. Yes, sometimes it's based on canonical information. Still, it doesn't work for me... at least for some characters. In terms of Geordi? I actually don't have a huge issue with it, partially due to seeing him as a captain in that VOY episode (even though it was an alternate timeline). More so than that, however, Geordi was a CHIEF engineer... and we did see him, at times, be a good manager of people. This is vital to good leadership. Personally, I liked the idea of Geordi being a civilian research engineer designing stuff like the Jellyfish-class, which is STO canon. The fact he was a "victim" of the "seldom-used reserve activation clause" was... a cute reference, but kinda cheap IMO.

But, whatever, he's not really my beef (and certainly, I'm not UPSET Levar Burton is joining the game's VO roster... which I think many on Reddit interpreted my comments as such a slight).
    mhall85 wrote: »

Oh, sure, almost ALL Trek fans get to see a leader (in the form of their favorite captain) succeed... but that is mainly because of the writing of the story. Our heroes succeed because their writers allow them to succeed. Sink those notions into reality, and I think the view changes dramatically. To be blunt: not everyone is cut out to be a leader. Further, a leader is more than a Type-A personality who is brash and daring.

You bring up Riker, and that was one of the characters I was thinking about while considering this. He was supposed to be very "Kirk-like," by design... even down to the middle initial, LOL. Although he seemed to excel as a First Officer, he turned down command offers three times before it was thrust onto him in "Best Of Both Worlds." Was he a "bad officer" for declining those command opportunities? No, I don't think so... especially considering the experience he gained through that ordeal. Was he a "bad officer" for not accepting the next command AFTER that, seemingly having nothing left to prove? That is a far more interesting question, I think, and a bit more difficult to answer. After all, his success against the Borg was more luck than anything else (thanks to the writing), and he had a few times after that where his command descisions were less than successful (again, due to writing). Eventually, of course, he accepts promotion and fulfills the hopes of those that trained and recommended him for promotion.

Still, even if it was due to the writing of the character, I think Riker is the kind of Starfleet officer who IS supposed to be a captain... so, for that officer to avoid or stagnate towards that goal could be seen as a waste.

Didn't Riker specifically mention that he refused previous command offers, because he was waiting to command the Enterprise? Basically, he was waiting for Picard to either retire or promote up, so that he could then step up and take command of the Enterprise.
    GrWzQke.png
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    guess he got tired of waiting in this timeline, since he took the titan​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User

Didn't Riker specifically mention that he refused previous command offers, because he was waiting to command the Enterprise? Basically, he was waiting for Picard to either retire or promote up, so that he could then step up and take command of the Enterprise.

And was told that he was wrecking his own career and getting in the way of other promising officers who could learn from Picard (and in the first Star Trek: Titan novel, was told to either take the position or he wouldn't get another offer). See, this is the thing Riker didn't get: it's not about him. As long as he's wearing the uniform, the needs of Starfleet and the Federation come first, or are supposed to. This is also one of the reasons for the US military having the "up or out" policy whereby if you miss 'x' number of promotion windows (I think it's three), you'll usually be discharged.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    I would also like to make the point that there's a distinction between the title "captain", as in commanding officer in a naval setting, and the rank captain that precedes admiralty. Does every character want to be captain of a ship? Probably not. Well, we had Jadzia take command of USS Defiant for a few episodes of season 6, she was only a lieutenant commander, but she seemed to like being in charge (and was apparently good at it).

On the flipside, Ezri Dax has barely got her bearings, and she's a psychologist. Maybe one day she becomes a ranked captain within her career track but I don't see her commanding a ship. (The hell with Captain Super-Dax of USS Aventine, that storyline was Mary Sue-fic garbage.)

As for Sisko's promotion? He was 37 when the series started, 40 when he was promoted. That's not an unrealistic age (my father retired at commander rank at age 42), and it could've easily just been "his turn" in the promotion list. That doesn't raise any hackles for me.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    i do, considering she's commanding the aventine in STO too​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    starswordc wrote: »

And was told that he was wrecking his own career and getting in the way of other promising officers who could learn from Picard (and in the first Star Trek: Titan novel, was told to either take the position or he wouldn't get another offer). See, this is the thing Riker didn't get: it's not about him. As long as he's wearing the uniform, the needs of Starfleet and the Federation come first, or are supposed to. This is also one of the reasons for the US military having the "up or out" policy whereby if you miss 'x' number of promotion windows (I think it's three), you'll usually be discharged.

I don't know how much the Titan series does or would play into STO, but I was specifically addressing the issue regarding why he passed up earlier promotion/command opportunities.

I would also like to make the point that there's a distinction between the title "captain", as in commanding officer in a naval setting, and the rank captain that precedes admiralty. Does every character want to be captain of a ship? Probably not. Well, we had Jadzia take command of USS Defiant for a few episodes of season 6, she was only a lieutenant commander, but she seemed to like being in charge (and was apparently good at it).

On the flipside, Ezri Dax has barely got her bearings, and she's a psychologist. Maybe one day she becomes a ranked captain within her career track but I don't see her commanding a ship. (The hell with Captain Super-Dax of USS Aventine, that storyline was Mary Sue-fic garbage.)

As for Sisko's promotion? He was 37 when the series started, 40 when he was promoted. That's not an unrealistic age (my father retired at commander rank at age 42), and it could've easily just been "his turn" in the promotion list. That doesn't raise any hackles for me.

Well, according to STO, Ezri Dax does command the Aventine. And apparently the Dax symbiote will command the Enterprise J at some future point as well.
    GrWzQke.png
  • lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User

Riker's demotion back to being second command after Best of Both Worlds is utterly baffling from an in-story perspective. Out of story it was simply to uphold the status quo for marketing reasons. An explanation would have been really beneficial for explaining why somebody who was so focused on his career suddenly took a step back and never got another command offer for many years.

If it had been up to me I would have used it as a small b-story to the BoBW follow up episode "Family". While Picard is visiting his family and working through his personal demons, Captain Riker could have been at Starfleet command fighting to save Picard's career with the Admiralty feeling Picard was no longer fit for duty. Riker would offer to take a demotion and be Picard's backup in case he ever cracked under pressure. The whole thing would be kept a secret so that Picard could retain command with dignity, a sacrifice made for family.

azrael605 wrote: »
    In the first season they mention several times that Riker wanted to break Kirk's record for being the youngest to make Captain. His later refusal of command offers represented a profound shift in his thinking.

Hm, for some reason that doesn't sound quite right. I'm pretty sure I remember that when the first met Picard asked Riker why he has already turned down a command to be first officer of the Enterprise. Riker responded that it was because he though being on the flagship would give him better options the next time he got a command offer. Riker wanted to be Captain, but he wanted a glamorous assignment over a early one.
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    lordrezeon wrote: »
    Hm, for some reason that doesn't sound quite right. I'm pretty sure I remember that when the first met Picard asked Riker why he has already turned down a command to be first officer of the Enterprise. Riker responded that it was because he though being on the flagship would give him better options the next time he got a command offer. Riker wanted to be Captain, but he wanted a glamorous assignment over a early one.

I think that was in Season 2. Riker was offered Command of the U.S.S. Ares, and Picard asked why he was hesitant (and inferred Riker was reluctant to leave his position on the Flagship - an inferrence Riker denied. Also, I feel the need to point out that was hardly Riker's only concern. I recall a pretty touching scene between him and Deanna.
  • admiralnatadmiralnat Member Posts: 22,432 Arc User
    If it had been up to me I would have used it as a small b-story to the BoBW follow up episode "Family". While Picard is visiting his family and working through his personal demons, Captain Riker could have been at Starfleet command fighting to save Picard's career with the Admiralty feeling Picard was no longer fit for duty. Riker would offer to take a demotion and be Picard's backup in case he ever cracked under pressure. The whole thing would be kept a secret so that Picard could retain command with dignity, a sacrifice made for family.

That idea is almost too good... such a story would also explain why Riker then took command of the Titan later, since it'd become apparent by then that Picard was pretty much unbreakable, or would at least eventually come to see reason...​​
    2jwMZnF.gif
    Winning.
    It's what I do. It's what I just did. It's what I'm about to do again. It's being undisputed emperor of an empire that cannot be disproved as the most powerful intergalactic empire in the entire universe; I always win, and everything I've won will definitely be won again... by me. It's my signature move, and thus, it's my signature. Problem, Sonic? Yeah, I mean you, Sonic, because you're being beat up, despite your being super. You can't even hit Shadow back, can you? Nope, he's too strong for you. Of course, I'm not Shadow, I'm the Super Emerald fueled fox that's pulling the strings; trust me, the fight would only be a few frames long if I were in it personally. Oh, and here's something for all you guys thinking you can win Last Post Wins 3.0; trust me, I'll be around a long while after the sun has already consumed the Earth while I sit out with the forum servers on Titan. Yes, I mean Titan... that comparatively little moon orbiting Saturn. It's a nice little place in a version of our solar system where the sun is a lot bigger. I mean, Mars will last longer than your precious Earth, but by then, it'll be one hot planet... and I figure Saturn's moon will be about the right temperate for a super-powered warlord. Oh, and trust me, I packed a lot of rings, and I mean a lot. Trillions, in fact, so I'll never run out of rings to power my super form. Besides, if I start to run out, I can just chaos control more rings into my reach. It's quite easy, really. You should try it. Granted, you'll never have the 7 Super Emeralds that I have in my possession, nor the Master Emerald that I've got hidden away somewhere... absorbed into my body thanks to Sonic logic, but whatever. I win. Again. I'm not kidding, either. Just check Last Post Wins, and if the last post isn't mine, it soon will be. Very, very soon. You can count on it. Seriously. By the way, if you're wondering, there's a really great Super Tails sprite sheet out there... somewhere... by some guy named shadow_91. These sprites are really great. Like, really good. Quality. Just like what I like to see in a sprite sheet. Also, credit to Joe T.E., his Sonic Battle style Super Sonic sprites have a great palette for a Super Sonic being beat up by Super Shadow, who's palette is from a Super Shadow sheet of unknown origin, but it turns out they were "borrowed" from a better sheet made by a certain Domenico. Oh, and the gif is actually a custom made super version of a similar gif, of which there are only 3 or 4 copies to be found by Google, and even then, evidently of an unknown source. Yep, it's one of those things. Stuff people have made, spread around, only for it to vanish and you to be the only person who still has a copy, not even knowing where it came from... like, literally at all. Oh, and anyone notice that Shadow's little chaos snap blast thingies are red and blue now? Yeah, I changed it. Problem, fans of purple? Yeah, I know you got a problem with that one, but you can just deal with it. After all, according to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly... alright, alright, I'll spare you the entire Bee Movie script, just Google it if you want. By the way, ever wonder how your characters would've ended up if they evolved in another universe? Yeah, that. Think about it. Ok, so you probably didn't bother reading up to here, but whatever, here's a surprise for you guys over at ESD (RP) who were crazy enough to read this: Emperor Nat of the mcfreakin' Terran Empire is gonna be right all along! The universe is gonna go BOOM! *Thumbs up to the insanity*
    Oh, now don't tell me you want in on all this! Well, ok. Look this that Egg Pawn hanging outside your window, pointing his laser rifle at you, waiting for my next order. He's doing his part. He helps conquer the weak-minded. He roboticizes the weak-bodied. Heck, he even helps keep the useless people from causing any trouble, but you know what? Join. Find the closest Nataran Empire roboticization center near you and join the ranks, before the ranks find you. Oh, I know, you figure it must be so satisfying to know I basically rule the world now, and you know what? It is, but do you want to know the true definition of satisfaction? Well, let me tell you a little story. One day, you see a brand new event. They're giving out boxes that give old event stuff. Your dilithium is plentiful. You buy a whole lot of Phoenix packs on your main, and open them all. You get one epic token. Then, you decide, that since you have all the Breen ships and don't give a damn about the others, you exchange it for an ultra rare, and grab yourself a Jem'Hadar Attack Ship and for the hell of it, a Voth Bulwark. You open both, leaving the Bulwark in your vast masses of starships as you jump into the bugship and deck it out, deck by deck, into the most awesome Jem'Hadar ship you can. You fly it. You enjoy it. Eventually, you get bored and leave, leaving the old Bulwark never flown... until later. Your main is long complete. Your new alt main, based off some character you pulled out of nothing just to explain away some starship being in service without the command of your dear admiral, is also complete. Mostly. Their reps and doffs are hard at work, getting you stuff. You realize the potential, and head back for your dear admiral, pull the most Voth themed build you can out of thin air, and suit up in your giant ship in the shape of you know what. You head out... and cause all sorts of havoc. Enemies scream out your name as their very life is drained away by your swarms of Aceton Assimilators. They complain to the devs of your OPness when you revive yourself from death every time you die. Do you show any form of mercy? No. After all, this isn't the United Federation of Planets, this is mother frakkin' Starfleet, where you explore strange new worlds and kick butt never kicked before. Oh, and you realize that I just wrote another speech rivaling your own signature. Cool. Oh, wait, that's just the original draft, it is part of my signature now. Oh, and yes, I am aware that I have become a Canadian Regent; one day, sooner than you'd expect, we'll suddenly decide to take over the world and declare an "alliance", and I shall become it's Regent. You know, like the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance in the mirror universe of our beloved Star Trek. Oh, who'll we be taking over with? I dunno, maybe [REDACTED], or maybe aliens from outer space. Guess you'll have to wait and find out, won't we? Until then, don't ask too many questions, or else my Breen allies on Titania might pick up on your -- [REDACTED BY BREEN CONFEDERACY FOR REASONS] Also, psst... keep an eye out for flying Tribbles! Also walls. Big, great walls, separating entire continents apart. Walls patrolled by Tribbles. Flying Tribbles. Flying Nukara Tribbles. Don't worry, it's not like they were on Venus with a herd of Tholians or anything, they just like the extreme heat and brutal weather like acid rain and hurricane force winds as the norm. Oh, and definitely keep your eye out on any two-tailed foxes, because if they ain't glowing, they're definitely an imposter. Possibly an Undine, we caught one of those once in my place once. Oh, and if you find a two-tailed fox that doesn't like the cold... most certainly ask him to say sorry. If he refuses, DESTROY HIM WITH A DOOMSDAY MACHINE, BECAUSE THERE'S NOTHING ELSE THAT WOULD BE ENOUGH AGAINST SUCH AN OVERPOWERED IMPOSTER!

tr;dr, I am winning last post wins 3.0. Thank you for your time.
    Oh, look, an explosion...
    edited August 2017
    i do, considering she's commanding the aventine in STO too​​
    Well, according to STO, Ezri Dax does command the Aventine. And apparently the Dax symbiote will command the Enterprise J at some future point as well.

As previously stated, I deeply dislike that entire storyline. They randomly had her decide she wasn't important enough, broke her up with Bashir (granted, I did feel Bashir had more chemistry with Garak than the Nth Dax all along :tongue:), then she has to take command of her ship after her CO is killed in a Borg attack and becomes this hypercompetent captain who can always get there faster and do everything better than anybody else in Starfleet.

... Oh, son of a hazmot, Ezri Dax is a STO player character.
    Post edited by starswordc on
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    ryan218 wrote: »

I think that was in Season 2. Riker was offered Command of the U.S.S. Ares, and Picard asked why he was hesitant (and inferred Riker was reluctant to leave his position on the Flagship - an inferrence Riker denied. Also, I feel the need to point out that was hardly Riker's only concern. I recall a pretty touching scene between him and Deanna.

He was also offered the Melbourne but declined ironically saving his life unknowingly. (Both Melbournes were destroyed)
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius

Riker's demotion back to being second command after Best of Both Worlds is utterly baffling from an in-story perspective. Out of story it was simply to uphold the status quo for marketing reasons. An explanation would have been really beneficial for explaining why somebody who was so focused on his career suddenly took a step back and never got another command offer for many years.

I agree, and I like that idea. I've always thought for a while, now, that if TNG were made today, the post-BOBW Enterprise would have been a much bigger story thread... we would have actually seen Picard's struggles in recovery, Riker & Shelby maintaining the Enterprise in the interim, and Picard's reintegration into command would have been... well, probably like you pointed out. I give the writers credit, though... for the time period, they threaded the Locutus experience into the fabric of the show FAR more than was needed at the time. That cold-blooded scene with Admiral Satti in "The Drumhead" was great drama. It probably would have been that for a good half-season, in 2017.

But, yes, back to Riker... it is a bit odd that he accepted demotion without issue. And, as I said earlier, I don't think the writers did him service at times, when he got center-seat experience post-BOBW. It's though to comment, now in hindsight, but had Riker never accepted promotion... then yeah, he would have probably been considered a bit of a failure.

Great points here.

The whole position-vs-rank difference is something I really didn't consider in my initial Reddit comment about Geordi, admittedly. I think this is likely why Scotty remained a captain. He was probably given the rank because, at the time, the position of chief engineer on the Excelsior was a big deal... more like a research project, than just another ship posting. Judging by his disdain for the move & ship, though, I don't think he particularly sought the promotion. He followed orders, and probably earned it through his performance, but he seems like the kind of officer that would just be happy with being an engineer. And I don't buy that lame idea from the SCE books, that Scotty is a captain of a ship (which I think S.TO also accepts).

Frankly, now that we've established this distinction, I wish there would be more examples of captain-level specialists, not just captains-as-heads-of-ships.

The books, in general, do bad things with characters, IMO. The Dax thing also bothers me, and the way they've handled Sisko outright pisses me off. They may have a grand arc planned for him, but still, I think they've betrayed what the ACTUAL writers did to Sisko on DS9. I agree that his initial promotion was not out of nowhere, and probably fitting... but I have always felt that his character arc exceeded the need of Starfleet. Even if he were to return, I felt that was a permanent change... and the books just pushed him back into Starfleet, and gave him a ship. LAME.
      edited August 2017
      The whole position-vs-rank difference is something I really didn't consider in my initial Reddit comment about Geordi, admittedly. I think this is likely why Scotty remained a captain. He was probably given the rank because, at the time, the position of chief engineer on the Excelsior was a big deal... more like a research project, than just another ship posting. Judging by his disdain for the move & ship, though, I don't think he particularly sought the promotion. He followed orders, and probably earned it through his performance, but he seems like the kind of officer that would just be happy with being an engineer. And I don't buy that lame idea from the SCE books, that Scotty is a captain of a ship (which I think S.TO also accepts).

Frankly, now that we've established this distinction, I wish there would be more examples of captain-level specialists, not just captains-as-heads-of-ships.
      Star Trek in general doesn't have a good grasp of how chains of command actually work, except usually in DS9. Putting Jadzia in command of Defiant was IMHO a good move: Sisko had his hands full as strategic advisor to Admiral Ross (an admiral's aide is often a ranked captain IRL) and the fifty or so crew members of a Defiant-class don't need much more than an O-3 to ride herd on them. The rough equivalent in the US Navy is probably the new littoral combat ships, which are commander's billets.

But on the flipside, we have the jumped-up cadet in "Valiant" who got field-promoted all the way to O-6 captain by his dying training officer (and if said cadet hadn't been drunk on that "Red Squad" myth, he should've disregarded it as the product of delirium). Not to mention that stupidity in the Kelvin Timeline where Kirk goes all the way from third-year cadet to captain of the Starfleet flagship in one movie, then gets demoted back to commander for lying on an official report, only to then immediately be put back in charge, and then applies for a three-step promotion to vice admiral in the next film.
      Post edited by starswordc on
      — Sabaton, "Great War"
      VZ9ASdg.png

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
      guess he got tired of waiting in this timeline, since he took the titan​​
      Picard and Riker actually had a discussion about that in the TNG movies. After the Ent D was destroyed Riker made a comment about how he had been hoping to get a chance to be it's captain. I forget if it was Nemesis or Insurrection when he mentions becoming captain of the Titan.
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
      Doesn't matter. You get the rank of captain for hanging around long enough. The rank is separate to the command track position of captain (which can be held by someone of any rank). Same with Admiral, even McCoy ended up as an admiral.

Just because Starfleet shares the names of its ranks with several hundreds of organisations on Earth (including some militaries) it's not one of those organisations, nor does it follow their protocol, it has its own, confusing, contradictory one.​​
      22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
      Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
      JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
      'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
      'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
      '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
      'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
      '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User

By Star Trek V and VI, the Enterprise-A is fairly dripping with high rank grades for its various department heads.

Keep in mind most of what we on Star Trek, especially the ship-based shows, are bridge officers or department heads - they're already in leadership positions and can be assumed to have some ambition.

Picard in the alternate reality Q gave ("Tapestry") where he took less risks and didn't take charge as much was a mere junior-grade lieutenant, for comparison.
      Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
    • renata666renata666 Member Posts: 284 Arc User
      Theoretically, command can be attained without the "official" rank of captain. In most of today's navies, you can reach command of a ship without being an O-6 captain. Typically, Lt. Commanders and Commanders are "captain" of nuclear submarines. To a degree, "necessary" rank depends on the size of the vessel.

Regardless, the commanding officer is still referred to as captain, while on board and in command of his ship.

I'm trying to justify a Fleet Admiral being in charge of a single ship's operations. THAT is something I'm struggling with.