test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Possible New Limited Star Trek Series

ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
Rumors on Geekexchange about a possible limited episode series about Khan on Ceti Alpha V.

http://www.geekexchange.com/news/breaking-nicholas-meyer-working-on-khan-limited-series/
'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
Judge Dan Haywood
'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
l don't know.
l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
Lt. Philip J. Minns

Comments

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    Unless it contains a lot of flashbacks to the Eugenic Wars, it doesn't sound all that exciting to me, really.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I don't really think it'll work particularly well. I mean Khan in TWoK looks nothing like Khan in SS so a recast is easy but going by the behaviour of the Augments in ENT and Harrison I'm mostly shocked that Khan's lot didn't just kill each other off after week one.
    Other than the story of what happened to whatshername from SS that didn't turn up in TWoK and why Khan lost his brownface there's not really much to tell.

A better story would be Khan's rise to power and the Augment wars. Though that's a minefield for people who hold TOS as holy and those that recognise that TNG, DS9, VGR, and ENT all retconned the Augment Wars as having happened significantly later than the 1990s. Also, I highly doubt that people will be willing to accept a Mexican man in brownface playing an Indian nowadays.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    i actually WOULD like to see more about the eugenics wars/world war 3 - if only because that'll mean seeing nukes go off in large numbers - something i am very fond of seeing

i'd also like to see a show devoted purely to the mirror universe done GoT-style​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    This seems so specious to me...

Just like pairing Meyer's connection to The Undiscovered Country to Discovery's setting (which proved to be 100% wrong, of course), this more feels like a fan film than a legit idea. Meyer hints at a new project, so OBVIOUSLY he's returning to prior successes. Add to that, no reputable sources have ran with this (yet)? Meh.

Now, I would not be surprised to see Meyer move on from Discovery, if he hasn't already. Just like Fuller, I always expected Meyer's involvement to be short-term & foundational in nature. I kinda expected both to be gone by Season 2 (but, obviously, I never expected things would unfold as they have).
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    Hm... I've toyed with the idea of a TV mini-series (like how the BSG reboot started) or even a stand alone side-story movie (like Rogue One) for awhile. Star Trek already lends itself to an anthology format, with the franchise literally spanning centuries of history, so having some stand alone stories isn't much of a stretch.

The real question is a matter of budget and public reception. I don't think it would be hard to get fans to go along with a short side story, but the subject matter would be the real issue. As we all know, us fans aren't exactly welcoming to anything that treads on the toes of existing material. As for the budget, Star Trek has a pretty rocky history with lots of ups and downs in terms of profits, so the network and studios tend to be wary of the franchise which tends to strongly influence the budget of new material.

As for the subject of Khan... I'm really not sold on the character overall. There really isn't any way to tell his story without completely tripping over the ugly mess that is pre-TOS continuity. In this case I think less is more.

Ironically a mini-series format might be the most palatable way for both the studios and fans to test the waters with new material.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    If it is ever created, I wonder how it would compare to Reign in Hell: The Exile of Khan Noonien Singh novel. However, it would be more interesting if it was set in the 20th Century and dealt with Khan's rise and fall which has been done with the Eugenic Wars: The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh novel.