test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Advanced Rapid Support Trait - MATH Challenged?

I know I'm way late to grinding out my Temporal toon, but just unlocked my adv. rapid support trait and was wondering if that trait is not working as intended?

It says reduces cooldown by 67% for Tac/Sci/Eng Fleet. That captain power has a 5-minute cooldown. Five minutes is 300 seconds. 67% of 300 is 201. That leaves 99 seconds. Which is 1 minute 39 seconds. But when I activate it with the trait, it reduces the cooldown to 3 minutes. How is 2 minutes 67% of 5 minutes? 2 minutes is actually closer to what the standard rapid support does, which is only 33%. How do you work those numbers?

I know this trait came out a long time ago and hasn't been fixed, or I just don't get Cryptic's crazy temporal math.

Comments

• Options
    memnoch#6978 memnoch Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    The cake is a lie...
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    azrael605 wrote: »
    The cooldown is 10 minutes unless you have the Command spec trait active which reduces it to 5 minutes.

that's fleet support, not the career fleet powers, which is what ARS affects

and to the OP, this is cryptic math at work - don't question it​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    alternative math?

for instance, 5 min cool down so you can use an ability once every 5 mins... 100% "cool down" would mean you can use it 2 times in 5 mins... or 50% reduction, once every 2.5 mins.

Your magic number is 67%

1min39secs = 1.65 mins
    1.65/5 = 33% or a reduction of 67%
  • Options
    askatusaskatus Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    It is indeed crazy Cryptic maths. The calculation is base value × 1/(1+ reduction). In this case you would get 300/1.67=180 seconds or three minutes. A 100% reduction would half your cool down not reduce it to zero.
    You shoot me down
    But I respawn
    I am duranium!