Install Arc
Options

[PC] The Son'a Lockbox!

13»

Comments

• Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    vamank wrote: »
    the frequency of the new lockboxes and R&D promotions running nearly back to back have kinda put a bad taste in my mouth. It makes me worry about the health of the game as it see them as major cash grabs. Since April, the Privateer lockbox, Smuggler RD promotion, then 2 weeks later 23rd century promo, then just a week or so ago updated infinity lockbox and now a brand new one. It makes me uneasy. If they keep releasing lockboxes at this rate they will completely run of of canon ships to release and the wonky factor will just increase, which I believe hurts the game.

There is basically always a new lockbox every 3 months, and an Infinity one for a week or so between the end of the old one and the new one. That Infinity Lockbox period used to be the Last Chance all-lockbox drop period. Even I have to admit that the 23rd Century Promo rerun so soon after the last promo was an extra cash grab, though. I get the reason for it, with the work done on the Miranda textures and pieces making the Constitution Refit revamp all that much easier, but I feel that it could have been held back for a bit.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    monjii11monjii11 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    Isolytic Plasma weapons sound so broken (in a good way)
    Grouping enemies together with regular fire? Yes please.
    Only bad thing is that its a proc.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    laetexbuns wrote: »
    Whomever is in charge of "fashion" for STO needs to be fired immediately!!
    Except the uniform, drones and ships are from Insurrection. So if someone is to be blamed for the design, it's the responsibles for this abomination of a movie.
    HERETIC! Insurrection was awesome!
    just an other box, this box is just as boring than the others. maybe the content of the future boxes could [make] me more interesting
    Maybe if you were to dress up in the Son'a outfit you'd look more interesting?
    Or only a few Son'a present during Insurrection rejoined the Ba'ku with the rest still being wherever they settled.

Insurrection is a real mess number-wise (and other things) regarding the whole Son'a/Ba'ku split-up thing, especially considering the Ba'ku are pacifists and supposedly having no advanced technology around (I absolutely do not believe it since they managed to find what was Data's malfunction and acted like it was ridiculously simple) yet managed to kick enough Son'a out of their planet that these guys managed to become a not-negligible power able to enslave 2 races, create powerful ships and ally with the Dominion.

So either the Son'a were super-geniuses able to breed like rabbits before they became infertile and there are still thousands of them that managed not to die from their many health issues after these decades, or whoever tried to make a backstory for them in Insurrection failed biology, math and sense of scale forever.
    I would say that Insurrection takes place shortly after the end of the Dominion war. Riker did a short thing talking to Troi where he mentions that they used to trade with the Dominion. I wonder if maybe part of it was trading for tech? Maybe Dominion cloning tech?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,401 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    I would say that Insurrection takes place shortly after the end of the Dominion war. Riker did a short thing talking to Troi where he mentions that they used to trade with the Dominion. I wonder if maybe part of it was trading for tech? Maybe Dominion cloning tech?
    Apparently no, according to Memory Alpha:
    During the Dominion War, the Federation suspected that they were manufacturing large quantities of the Dominion narcotic ketracel-white in the Son'a colonies in the outlying areas near Cardassia and the Bajoran wormhole. In the later days of the war, a recently constructed facility indeed existed at their Devos II outpost. Weyoun diverted a number of Dominion warships to that colony, believing that the Federation knew about it. Damar questioned this, as he felt the Son'a should be able to protect it themselves. (DS9: Penumbra)
    Although the Son'a role in the Dominion War was first mentioned in Star Trek: Insurrection, Weyoun's order to Damar to send ships to assist the Son'a (In DS9: Penumbra) presumably took place after the events in Insurrection, indicating that not all of the Son'a returned to the Ba'ku homeworld. The Star Trek: The Next Generation Companion theorizes that they became full allies of the Dominion.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    During the Dominion War, the Federation suspected that they were manufacturing large quantities of the Dominion narcotic ketracel-white in the Son'a colonies in the outlying areas near Cardassia and the Bajoran wormhole. In the later days of the war, a recently constructed facility indeed existed at their Devos II outpost. Weyoun diverted a number of Dominion warships to that colony, believing that the Federation knew about it. Damar questioned this, as he felt the Son'a should be able to protect it themselves. (DS9: Penumbra)
    Although the Son'a role in the Dominion War was first mentioned in Star Trek: Insurrection, Weyoun's order to Damar to send ships to assist the Son'a (In DS9: Penumbra) presumably took place after the events in Insurrection, indicating that not all of the Son'a returned to the Ba'ku homeworld. The Star Trek: The Next Generation Companion theorizes that they became full allies of the Dominion.
    I don't see why Penumbra needs to take place after Insurrection. honestly it makes more sense if Insurrection takes place after the Dominion war.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    themadrigogsthemadrigogs Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    I don't see why Penumbra needs to take place after Insurrection. honestly it makes more sense if Insurrection takes place after the Dominion war.

Worf. He's still an officer, not an Ambassador, and Picard says "to delay his return DS9."
  • Options
    when exactly did that happen though?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    themadrigogsthemadrigogs Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    when exactly did that happen though?

Worf was captured in Penumbra, and the next few episodes are too connected to work. There is plenty of time around the 2nd & 3rd to last DS9 episodes where Worf could have snuck off, putting them after Penumbra but before the end of the war, but Worf was named Ambassador right after the signing of the treaty, so there's a hard cap on the possible end date. It's just easier to put the movie before Penumbra, sometime around when it premiered, but you could make a post Penumbra date work if you really, really wanted to. Just assume he went to the Manzar colony shorty after killing Gowron.
  • Options
    ash352ash352 Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    Another lockbox? So soon?
    Hey Cryptic, is everything okay?
    I'm asking because this seems really close behind the last lockbox set we just had.

Lockboxes generate revenue. Why wouldn't they release them? As for the frequency, this is akin to your employer saying "I just paid you last month. You don't need to get paid again for a while."

I understand that, I'm just a bit concerned that's all.
    I happen to really like STO (it is reminiscent of the old FASA Star Trek "Dice-and-Paper RPG"), so I am a wee bit worried about them releasing so many so fast.

They release a new lockbox every 3ish months. After they introduced it the Infinity lockbox is now also released usually the week prior to a new lockbox with the last lockbox's items added to it along with any T6 updates to older T5 lockbox ships, ala the Xindi ships. The only out of the ordinary release was the R&D promo and they only did that to capitalize on the updated textures. If that hadn't occurred they would still be on track for the normal rotation of gamble items. Rushing would be having a new lockbox every month and a new R&D promo every month, then you should worry a bit.

Funny enough there's the collector ship in the featured episode so I guess we know what the next R&D promo is going to be. It even did the whole "open it's sails and attack with a pulse" so it looks to be fully coded and ready to be dropped into a gamble pack.
  • Options
    Warning: If you get a Ba'ku Duty Officer Cadre from the lockbox, DO NOT OPEN IT.

Right now, it's utterly useless:
    -the portrait are those of humans (at least, that would make sense since the Ba'Ku look like humans, but it's really from generic humans, unlike what the box portrait implies)
    -the portraits and genders don't match (got a female Doff who is clearly male in the portrait (the goatee, mostly))
    -they have no new traits to offer
    -they have no R&D specialties
    -they have no new active abilities
    -they are really just common, uncommon, rare and very rare human Boffs with only their species entry changed

@ambassadorkael#6946
    Could you ask if it's WAI or a big oversight, please?
    #TASforSTO
  • Options
    ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    Is there a difference in chance of winning a ship opening lockboxes purchased from the dil and ones picked up as loot drops or have i just been extremely unlucky this time around. (Thankfully no real money was spent here) I've opened over 250 boxes and no ship
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • Options
    Is there a difference in chance of winning a ship opening lockboxes purchased from the dil and ones picked up as loot drops or have i just been extremely unlucky this time around. (Thankfully no real money was spent here) I've opened over 250 boxes and no ship
    Sounds like it's working fine, that's usually what I get when testing on Tribble (200-300 boxes opened before getting a ship). No difference between the lockboxes bought with dil or from a drop.

#TASforSTO
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    The Kobali Engineering Cadre Doffs had/has the same gender problem. All the Doffs said male when over half had female portraits.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    Sounds like it's working fine, that's usually what I get when testing on Tribble (200-300 boxes opened before getting a ship). No difference between the lockboxes bought with dil or from a drop.

Thanks just seriously bad luck :( . Last time I had it this bad was the very 1st box for the Bugship
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    The Kit Module Packs are going for dirt cheap.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    Warning: If you get a Ba'ku Duty Officer Cadre from the lockbox, DO NOT OPEN IT.

Right now, it's utterly useless:
    -the portrait are those of humans (at least, that would make sense since the Ba'Ku look like humans, but it's really from generic humans, unlike what the box portrait implies)
    -the portraits and genders don't match (got a female Doff who is clearly male in the portrait (the goatee, mostly))
    -they have no new traits to offer
    -they have no R&D specialties
    -they have no new active abilities
    -they are really just common, uncommon, rare and very rare human Boffs with only their species entry changed

@ambassadorkael#6946
    Could you ask if it's WAI or a big oversight, please?
    The pic on the BOX is actually of Son'a, not Ba'ku.

*opens Ba'ku box* Well, the 7 I got were all the right gender.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing