test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Biathlon Cheaters

So it looks like some people have managed to find a shortcut somewhere on the Biathlon Race that lets them avoid the last half of the course without being disqualified and head straight for the flags.
I've lost two races now with players inexplicably being at the finish line without ever having passed me, and I use Elite Powerboards and Superior Floaters with the Risa tribble.

Anyone else experienced this?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q

Comments

• Options
    aoav160aoav160 Member Posts: 443 Arc User
    Yes.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    it could just be a version of the winter race exploit - which i'm obviously not going to bring up the details on​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    It also could be latency not allowing you to see those who did pass you.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Nah, it's cheaters. People will take the easy way out in this game, you know like AFKers in Mirror or gaming the new Queue UI so that they are constantly showing as Leaving and Joining.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    it could just be a version of the winter race exploit - which i'm obviously not going to bring up the details on​​

If it is, and as much as I hate this exploit, my vote would be to leave it alone. If anyone remembers the fix it involved booting you out of the wonderland if you logged out in there. On Risa that would seriously stink. You wouldn't be able to line everyone up for the horgahn hunt.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    tribblezatribbleza Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    It just happened now. Me and this other player were way in front, and when we got towards the finish line someone was there claiming the 1st flag. I thought this happened the other day too, but I thought maybe I had just missed the player. He flew away very quickly before I could catch his/her name.
  • Options
    alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    Glad to know I'm not just seeing things lol.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • Options
    seventharkseventhark Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Thanks for validating that this is happening. I thought I was seeing things when I saw someone from a fleet I won't mention here grab second place after I finished first; I was in the lead by a heckuva lot. I felt bad for those others after me.
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    "I use Elite Powerboards and Superior Floaters with the Risa tribble."

Isn't this it's own kind of cheating?

Personally I want nothing to do with the Biathlon.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    That doesn't make sense, though. You have to tick the floater waypoints to be eligible to claim a flag, unless the game actually treats the floater waypoints as non essential which makes it a oversight on Cryptic's part. It's not really a cheat if players can just go there and claim a flag, it's not WAI but a cheat requires manipulation of the game.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    lordgyor wrote: »
    "I use Elite Powerboards and Superior Floaters with the Risa tribble."

Isn't this it's own kind of cheating?

Personally I want nothing to do with the Biathlon.

No because those are in game assets that any player can acquire as long as he / she either puts in the effort to earn or buy the necessary Favors in order to purchase those items.

An analogy to your statement would be saying that players who use Fleet Gear are cheaters.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User

The fix would be when a player joins the competitive race (whether it is Summer or Winter), it is only for that particular session. Once the race ends all players who did not complete that race will automatically be dropped out of the race when that race session ends.

Right before the button appears for players to join the race, a random 4 digit (or whatever) session # would be created. When a player clicks the "Join" button, the character would be assigned that session number. Once that specific race ends the session number expires and players who did not finish the race automatically gets dropped out of the race.

That should address the race exploits in both Summer and Winter events.
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    I wanted the gold jetpack so I would offer ec payments to people to let me take the first place flag.

I was in a 1v1 with someone and offered them 20m, and they seemed to disappear from the race then were standing at the flags when I got there and the idiot took the 1st place one and then bragged about in zone?

Some people are just dumb.

20M? Id take the ec myself.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    khazlolkhazlol Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    I wanted the gold jetpack so I would offer ec payments to people to let me take the first place flag.

I was in a 1v1 with someone and offered them 20m, and they seemed to disappear from the race then were standing at the flags when I got there and the idiot took the 1st place one and then bragged about in zone?

Some people are just dumb.

i guess thats how Ferengi do sport :P and he mocked you for it.
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    I have yet to get claim first place because of the cheaters as well. It is frustrating! The disappear and yet you see them at the finish but they never actually pass you. This is what makes these events suck! There needs to be some sort of cheaters penalty similar to the AFK penalty that bans them from the event for the rest of the day for cheating.
  • Options
    indysharkindyshark Member Posts: 1,543 Arc User
    I am sure I have seen some form of cheating. I have been in the top three racers and when we crest the hill the 1st place flag was already gone. No one was in front of me as we started racing towards the finish and the flag was gone. In one instance, both the first and second place flag had already been claimed. I still play it, but it's frustrating when cheater steal the flag.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Didn't we have people going over walls in the Trench during the Breach Event to shorten the run time?
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    So it looks like some people have managed to find a shortcut somewhere on the Biathlon Race that lets them avoid the last half of the course without being disqualified and head straight for the flags.
    I've lost two races now with players inexplicably being at the finish line without ever having passed me, and I use Elite Powerboards and Superior Floaters with the Risa tribble.

Anyone else experienced this?

Yeah i stopped doing the biathalon becuae of this issue, i had a or what i thought of as a commanding lead and there was two people at the end already finished?

I also use elite PB's and floaters
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Only had this happen once, but it was all the more annoying since it was a really fun race. Three players were more or less neck and neck in front the whole time, one mishandled the last turn, one got a great last turn, I was in the middle but made up with a very smooth transition to floater. So there we were, me slightly in the lead but the second guy catching slightly up because while there's not a lot you can do with the rings, some tenths of a second can be shaved off. Got the turn up the volcano slope just perfect and was floating merrily towards my victory if I concentrate, reach the top - third place flag only? Possibly the guy abusing the exploit even took the 1st/2nd flag bug as well, while he was at it. (Or there were two at the same race). Well, way most of my races are still fun and fair.
    angrytarg wrote: »
    That doesn't make sense, though. You have to tick the floater waypoints to be eligible to claim a flag, unless the game actually treats the floater waypoints as non essential which makes it a oversight on Cryptic's part. It's not really a cheat if players can just go there and claim a flag, it's not WAI but a cheat requires manipulation of the game.

Without going too much into detail, in a way the cheaters will touch the floater waypoints (and the powerboard goals as well). The oversight is somewhere else.
    If it is, and as much as I hate this exploit, my vote would be to leave it alone. If anyone remembers the fix it involved booting you out of the wonderland if you logged out in there. On Risa that would seriously stink. You wouldn't be able to line everyone up for the horgahn hunt.

That would indeed be a major problem. My peeps are exactly where they should be for any horgahn related activity when they log on.
    I admit I use the old short cut from years ago with the boards ( so does a lot now, been watching me ) Just take a quick skid turn and jump the rock and ignore the side ramps. Cut's about 2 seconds really.

Actually, since last summer it depends. If you are in a position to get the boost, it beats every shortcut (that I am aware of). If you aren't, you can indeed leave the ramps alone for a better result.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    indysharkindyshark Member Posts: 1,543 Arc User
    I just ran the race and saw the strangest thing. There was a female running the race without a board and moving much faster than any of the other racers. She seemed like she was moving twice as fast as everyone else and got so far ahead of us, I could not see her. I thought it was very strange she had no board. When we got to the end, the 1st place flag was gone. Go figure!
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    I had one race where I finished at least 10 seconds before anyone else. It was like I got all of the speed boosts, and no one else did. It was essentially over when I passed the promenade.
    If I were tempted to cheat, I'd run a character through the race to the end, but not grab a flag, and then switch characters. After the next race started, I'd switch back to that character. They should still have the "race" flag set and be able to grab the flag. (I haven't tried it, and don't plan to.) I discovered that strategy works for the hunga'hn search a couple of years ago when a character couldn't get all ten items. I logged them out before it was over, and then logged them back in for the next one, and they kept their prior progress.
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Had this happen a couple of times, it can't possibly be lag or latency, these people are friggin' MILES ahead of other rest of us. No speed boost or anything going on here. I've managed to get good at getting a big lead in the powerboard race section, yet there have been times with someone at the end already, no way they could pass without me seeing them, not on the floater bit where its a tighter track.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    indyshark wrote: »
    I just ran the race and saw the strangest thing. There was a female running the race without a board and moving much faster than any of the other racers. She seemed like she was moving twice as fast as everyone else and got so far ahead of us, I could not see her. I thought it was very strange she had no board. When we got to the end, the 1st place flag was gone. Go figure!

That's an old one and yes people still are using it since they started the race events on Risa.
    However, the Biathlon is a new one. Perhaps they might be relogging in/out? or they have discovered a shortcut that won't kick them out of the event like they did on Breach event.​​
    Post edited by storules on
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Thankfully, I haven't run into this. Then again, I only run a few of them when my inet or the game server is nice and lets me stay in them.

Today I got all the way to the end, just ahead of the others. Someone was floating above First, but not taking it. So I shrugged and got close enough to grab it. Hopefully I won't run into it.

I do remember it happening in the WE in a few of my races. It's very annoying for the one truly in the lead. Not something I am very much of the time, but I have fun 'finishing'.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    sarah2774sarah2774 Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    Had this happen a couple of times, it can't possibly be lag or latency, these people are friggin' MILES ahead of other rest of us. No speed boost or anything going on here. I've managed to get good at getting a big lead in the powerboard race section, yet there have been times with someone at the end already, no way they could pass without me seeing them, not on the floater bit where its a tighter track.

I was curious of this so i went to the finish line for a few races just as a spectator to see how players finish. I stayed away from the flag. So far i see players comming through the last ring and hit the flag.
    OPv9m3F.jpg
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    Fact is, you can make a pretty good margin in this race. I have the best board and floater and most of the speed buffs one can get. My luck lies in the fact if I can take the first speed boost. If I get it, I get them all in most cases. Anyway, I have won this event, picking up the first flag, while number two still had to come through the final gate.

It may very well look like there is some cheating going on, while that is not the case. The group is also split into two at some point where you can take two ways, left and right of the cliff. I have it never happened that I was leading and that the first flag already was taken. I did experience it in the Winter race.
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    It would be nice to have another reason for not winning biathlon other than being incompetent. Despite some weirdness I've been seeing, I'm more betting on my incompetence right now...
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!