test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Goldseller friend request spam

daciaeternadaciaeterna Member Posts: 219 Arc User
I keep getting this friend requests from new accounts were the name of the caracter is almost the site adress. At least 3-4 /day everyday. I keep ignoring them but they come with new ones. I dont wanna become anonymus and block everyone. My fleetmates are in the same iritating situation.

Imo new acounts should have limits and not be able to send requests until lvl 40 at least (let them grind lvls lol) or not at all, if they want to friend someone they can ask him for one. Or limit new accounts to 2-3 friend requests/day, unless subscribed.

I can't see how any sane/non-idiotic person can think that after iritating the hell out of a person he will then come and buy from them ... lol

Please do something about this.

P.S. - I get mail spam from other site also but mails are less annoying.

Comments

• Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    just turn off getting mail from non friends/fleet members.

you can do that for friend requests as well... just turn it back on when you are expecting it.

i turn off duels as well.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    tigeraries wrote: »
    just turn off getting mail from non friends/fleet members.

you can do that for friend requests as well... just turn it back on when you are expecting it.

i turn off duels as well.

From my position as fleet admiral and also as a trade channel seller its imposible to close myself to anyone as well as knowing when i will be contacted. Its inpractical for me and for a great many people that need interact with others.

As far as i know i cant turn off friend requests without setting my status to anonymus. If there is a way please share.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Yea... this new tactic by gold sellers is rather annoying. And trying to stop them via filtering key words won't work because it hasn't stopped the mail spam as they just use either character replacement, IE \/\/ for W, or spacing them out to NOT look like a word or something censored, IE w w w . i n s e r t n a m e h e r e . c o m.

Goldsellers are a plague on MMO communities. And unfortunately it doesn't matter HOW much of a budget an MMO has. There will be Goldsellers in it. Even WoW has them, and they're the KINGS of MMO.

Even if you disable the ability to communicate entirely, be it chat or in game mail, Goldsellers will adapt, as we see with this new tactic of friend request spam.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Pestering the same guy 3-4 times per day make then the "dumb beggers of MMO" rather than kings lol. This is more like ransomware that advertising; "if you want your "quiet time" back give us money".
  • Options
    Pestering the same guy 3-4 times per day make then the "dumb beggers of MMO" rather than kings lol. This is more like ransomware that advertising.

I wasn't saying the goldsellers were the kings. I was saying that World of WarCraft was the current reigning king of MMOs, and even THEY have goldsellers.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
    "Glad" (actually not at all) to know I'm not the only one getting these at a high frequency these last days. Freaking parasites.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Yea... this new tactic by gold sellers is rather annoying. And trying to stop them via filtering key words won't work because it hasn't stopped the mail spam as they just use either character replacement, IE \/\/ for W, or spacing them out to NOT look like a word or something censored, IE w w w . i n s e r t n a m e h e r e . c o m.

Goldsellers are a plague on MMO communities. And unfortunately it doesn't matter HOW much of a budget an MMO has. There will be Goldsellers in it. Even WoW has them, and they're the KINGS of MMO.

Even if you disable the ability to communicate entirely, be it chat or in game mail, Goldsellers will adapt, as we see with this new tactic of friend request spam.

Except they aren't so bad in wow anymore...wow developed a new way of dealing with them a while back which I don't remember offhand what it was but last time I played wow I saw almost 0 spam.

Trouble is with f2p mmos if a account gets banned you just roll another one free of any costs and live to spam again.
  • Options
    Well... good to hear WoW is finding a way to curb them.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Yeah, they've been annoying me for the last 4 days. I wish the Ignore was account wide, cause every time I switch toons I have to Ignore him again.
  • Options
    Yeah, they've been annoying me for the last 4 days. I wish the Ignore was account wide, cause every time I switch toons I have to Ignore him again.

I thought it ignored the account name. Not just characters.
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    The ignore should be the @handle not the characters name as character names are not unique. I know there are numerous borg called one flying about the sto universe, which is quite fitting as they are many and they are one.

Usually the spammers handles look like someone ate a keyboard and barfed up a name but I've had a couple of these invites that (going by the handles) look to have been actual players who opted to buy ec and got their account compromised as a special bonus reward.

Could be wrong but I think wow's way to counteract the sellers was to have far too much easy gold going into the players pockets between the various dailies, useless RNG based gear drops and world quests.

Either that or the play time token they borrowed from eve.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User

I thought it ignored the account name. Not just characters.

it should be so, the problem is that come back with a slightly different account name and honestly the real problem isn't the sellers but the people who buy from them if there were no "gold buyers" there would be no gold sellers either, oh and Gold sellers aren't gone from WoW they're just not as prevelent as they used to be (or that's how the case was in May the last time I played WoW).
  • Options
    Pestering the same guy 3-4 times per day make then the "dumb beggers of MMO" rather than kings lol. This is more like ransomware that advertising.

I wasn't saying the goldsellers were the kings. I was saying that World of WarCraft was the current reigning king of MMOs, and even THEY have goldsellers.

Yeah i did understood your point there, i was just playing with words :smile:

• Options
    minidariminidari Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    lfMV1Ji.png
    Imo new acounts should have limits and not be able to send requests until lvl 40 at least (let them grind lvls lol) or not at all, if they want to friend someone they can ask him for one.

Good Idea!!!
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    minidari wrote: »
    lfMV1Ji.png
    Imo new acounts should have limits and not be able to send requests until lvl 40 at least (let them grind lvls lol) or not at all, if they want to friend someone they can ask him for one.

Good Idea!!!

I know! :) and btw i am so "glad" you are getting this pestering requests also :wink:
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Friend requests aren't high enough priority to warrant a pop-up anyway. It's poor UI design in an action game. The chat notice that you've got one is enough.

People should be free to resolve them (or leave them to expire if it's just randos/spammers) in the friend tab when they've got time instead of being pestered by a pop-up mid-gameplay.
  • Options
    mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    Its those rotten-up-to-no-good DPSers fault, I tell ya...
    You see, they parse you, without you even knowing it, then they go and upload that said parser, even automatic in some cases, to a 3rd party website, where are just gathered for goldsellers to pick up en masse.
    I myself stay away from ISA or any other maps they parse and have no problem what so ever. Havent been spamed in months by emails or friend requests.
    Unfortunally, Cryptic wont do anything to stop these exploiters, becouse thats what they are, using a 3rd party program to gather data from players, including their @handle. Of course, if you could turn off your damage output, or at least not show your @handle in combat log, it would solve the problem. Till then, these exploiters would do what they please, along with the goldsellers, becouse Cryptic allows it. End of story.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    And now the friend spam its crashing my game..

lfMV1Ji.png
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    More likely that was because you were on risa too long.

It's the ultimate in cryptic timelocking for events, if you beam down too soon then the crash timer kicks you before you can complete the races etc.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @postagepaid, I just beamed there :)
    Post edited by minidari on
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    There was a crashing bug on Risa, that is fixed in todays patch.
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    It's been quite rampant for me today and yesterday.
  • Options
    shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    mosul33 wrote: »
    Its those rotten-up-to-no-good DPSers fault, I tell ya...
    You see, they parse you, without you even knowing it, then they go and upload that said parser, even automatic in some cases, to a 3rd party website, where are just gathered for goldsellers to pick up en masse.
    I myself stay away from ISA or any other maps they parse and have no problem what so ever. Havent been spamed in months by emails or friend requests.
    Unfortunally, Cryptic wont do anything to stop these exploiters, becouse thats what they are, using a 3rd party program to gather data from players, including their @handle. Of course, if you could turn off your damage output, or at least not show your @handle in combat log, it would solve the problem. Till then, these exploiters would do what they please, along with the goldsellers, becouse Cryptic allows it. End of story.

Hmm. I got DPS-parsed yesterday, and friend-spammed today... I think you might be on to something here.

(Yeah, yeah, I know all about post hoc ergo propter hoc, thank you very much.)
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    So that's why I crashed last week when I decided to visit Risa early.

And I got a few of those friend request things and simply denied them. Lucky it wasn't that bad. And yeah, it was one of those things that look like a keyboard barfed up a name. I may not be the smartest toon on the block, but I ain't stupid.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I just X the friend request windows. then they can't send you another one.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg