test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

what's better. pen or..

Over with the NX trait??

I'm having my doubts about which one to choose.

Comments

• Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    PEN is always better simply because it's always active and doing it's job with every shot. As for the NX trait, does it work with the OVER mod?
  • Options
    skullblits#4627 skullblits Member Posts: 1,273 Arc User
    I'm not sure I think it does

I mite just do a mixture of them.
  • Options
    themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    I was expecting a question about the comparative likes vs dislikes of ink-based writing utensils versus graphite-based writing utensils.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    I was expecting a question about the comparative likes vs dislikes of ink-based writing utensils versus graphite-based writing utensils.

Pencils hands down!, they can write in space and underwater...
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User
    For most situations on a good end game setup critD is better than pen:
    Pen is 10 armour penetration for shots on that weapon, which is equivalent to a 10 damage resistance debff for that weapon
    CritD is 20% extra damage per crit hit

Just about any decent endgame setup will be hitting at least 20% crits, I'd guess 60%+ is doable for a tac with a crit oriented setup. So critd should be worth 4-12%, with 4% being a conservative estimate. Whereas in order for pen to give 4% extra damage the target will have to be debuffed to an extreme degree that you won't generally find in solo or pug play.
  • Options
    I'm getting critd X2 and overs. but will probably go half and half
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
    "The sword is mightier." --A Mirror Universe denizen.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User
    Over do 4.7 times damage with 2.5% chance, 4.7 times what? determines how good they are, if its 4.7 X final damage, then its the best mod for almost all players, if its 4.7 x base damage its really not.
  • Options
    letsfadeawayletsfadeaway Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    gaevsman wrote: »

Pencils hands down!, they can write in space and underwater...

Yeah, the pencil will write in space (or rather in zero g on a station/ship) until the graphite dust gets everywhere and shorts out all the electronics.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Despite the popular saying, a sword does in fact beat a pen.

This message brought to you by the Society for the Promotion of Complete Thread Titles.
  • Options
    alcaatrazalcaatraz Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    Over with the NX trait??

With the understanding that your going to be running beams so as to lead to the choice between [Over] or [Pen], then your going to want to understand (and know) a few variables first.

SetA / Category 1 Buffs

This Trait Preferential Targeting adds +100% to the Category 1 Damage category to the overloaded, which also includes things like Mark Value (I to XIV), Tactical Consoles (both Specific and general types), and other passive things.

As such to give a meaningful answer to 'how good is this', you need to know this value. In general, its around 400%-500% for a high end build, maybe even approaching 600% to 700% with 4 or 5 Epic Tactical consoles. Main thing to get from this is this value is normally very very high.

Since the damage buff is in this category, we want to see how a +100% value would effectively improve the damage.
    • 400% Pre-Cat1: +100% = a 1.200x (or 20.0%) Effective Multiplier
    • 500% Pre-Cat1: +100% = a 1.166x (or 16.6%) Effective Multiplier
    • 600% Pre-Cat1: +100% = a 1.142x (or 14.2%) Effective Multiplier
    • 700% Pre-Cat1: +100% = a 1.125x (or 16.6%) Effective Multiplier

Side note, the equations to do this are fairly simple. Because categories are linear then we know we can use a (1+[Current%]+Δ)/(1+[Current%]) to find the effective modifier.

This would look like:

(1+400%+100%)/(1+400%)
    = (1+4+1)/(1+4)
    = (6/5)
    = 1.2

So these seam like fairly large modifiers, but we then need to consider the proc time of [Over].

Expected Proc times

There is a rather handy, simple equation to find these.

Expected Time for Proc = 1/(((Number of weapons)/(Cycle Time))*(Chance))

For [Over], this would be:
    • Number of Weapons = The number of Weapons with [Over] on them (Ideally 6,7, or 8)
    • Chance = 2.5% = 0.025 = 1/40
    • Cycle Time = 5 Seconds

This means that a single weapon would see, on average, one proc in 200.

Expected Time for Proc = 1/(((1)/(5 Seconds))*(1/40)) = 200s

With More weapons, we see a higher expected rate.
    • 6 weapons = 33.33s
    • 7 Weapons = 28.57s
    • 8 Weapons = 25.00s

This is all just in theory, so actual proc times might be longer, because of this I'm going to add 10s to these expected times when I use them (since stacks don't seam to build under FAW).

Putting it together with [Over] and FAW

So we now want to use an Uptime approximation on these.

((Fractional Up time)(State of PT ON))+((1-(Fractional Up time)(State of PT OFF))

(You can see more here: https://www.reddit.com/r/stobuilds/wiki/math/critical_chance)

Basically, since we know that PT will last only 1s (since that's how long the damage is dealt from BO as a cyclical nature), we can take its uptime as the duration / the expected proc rates, which have been adjusted to 43.33s for 6 weapons, 38.57s for 7 weapons, and 35.00s for 8 weapons. As well, for the purpose of this example, I'm going to be assuming a 500% Cat1 Saturation (this will in reality change from person to person so for best results you should find your own and use it in these equations).

Finally, we must understand that Overloading is a 4.7x Final Damage modifier on the beam which fires the Overloaded shot. This is taken as a multipier of all damage multipliers and other damage categories.

In our case, our two variables will multiply together (Cat1 x Final) for a 5.4802 (which is 4.7*1.166) modifier.

This means we end up with the following:
    1. 6 Weapons: ((1/43.33)*(5.4802) + ((1-(1/43.33))*(1)) = 1.1034 Effective Modifier (10.34% increase)
    2. 7 Weapons: ((1/38.57)*(5.4802) + ((1-(1/38.57))*(1)) = 1.1162 Effective Modifier (11.62% increase)
    3. 8 Weapons: ((1/35.00)*(5.4802) + ((1-(1/35.00))*(1)) = 1.1280 Effective Modifier (12.80% increase)

Comparison With [Pen]

Damage Resistance Rating (A.K.A. DRR) follows a very complex non-linear curve of:

(1/4) + 3(75/(150+(DRR)))^2

So with absolutely no DRR applied to target, [Pen] would be an effective constant multiplier of

((1/4) + 3(75/(150+(0)))^2)/((1/4) + 3(75/(150+(+10)))^2) = 871/784 = 1.0998 Effective Modifier (9.98% increase)

This is rarely the case, and there is normally some other debuffs added into the mix; these additions decrease the effects of [Pen]. For instance, APB is -30 DRR to target. With more APB's stacked on a target, pen becomes less effective
    • 1xAPB : 1.0744 Effective Modifier (7.44% increase)
    • 2xAPB : 1.0567 Effective Modifier (5.67% increase)
    • 3xAPB : 1.0442 Effective Modifier (4.42% increase)
    • 4xAPB : 1.0349 Effective Modifier (3.49% increase)

However, if you cannot reliably get [Over] procs, taken to the extreme to be 1/200, for a 1.0224 Effective Modifier (2.24% increase), we can clearly see that we would Prefer [Pen] to [Over].

Final Note

In total, all I can say is these kinda of things are never easy to generalize. I would personally say that [Pen] is to be preferred to [Over] simply because [Pen] is much more reliable and will generate less swing in effective damage output, but [over] still has a fun factor attached to it, so as a Tl;Dr: if you dont care about maximizing potential damage averages take [Pen], if you care more about how it looks and the fun factor of it take [over].
    --- @alcaatraz || I make tanks and do maths stuffs ---
    "I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul."
  • Options
    e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    A very thorough and we'll structured posts from one of stobuilds' resident math gurus. Thank you for explaining Jayiie!
  • Options
    alcaatrazalcaatraz Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    e30ernest wrote: »
    A very thorough and we'll structured posts from one of stobuilds' resident math gurus. Thank you for explaining Jayiie!

Always glad to help with things like this!

Of course everything I said is built upon assumptions and pre-conditions and is always susceptible to RNG and in-combat fluctuations :smiley:
    --- @alcaatraz || I make tanks and do maths stuffs ---
    "I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul."
  • Options
    silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User

As was I. I also had a momentary flashback to being at school, and being asked if I wanted to become a member of 'the pen fifteen club' :cold_sweat:
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    alcaatraz wrote: »
    Over with the NX trait??

With the understanding that your going to be running beams so as to lead to the choice between [Over] or [Pen], then your going to want to understand (and know) a few variables first.

SetA / Category 1 Buffs

This Trait Preferential Targeting adds +100% to the Category 1 Damage category to the overloaded, which also includes things like Mark Value (I to XIV), Tactical Consoles (both Specific and general types), and other passive things.

As such to give a meaningful answer to 'how good is this', you need to know this value. In general, its around 400%-500% for a high end build, maybe even approaching 600% to 700% with 4 or 5 Epic Tactical consoles. Main thing to get from this is this value is normally very very high.

Since the damage buff is in this category, we want to see how a +100% value would effectively improve the damage.

Side note, the equations to do this are fairly simple. Because categories are linear then we know we can use a (1+[Current%]+Δ)/(1+[Current%]) to find the effective modifier.

This would look like:

(1+400%+100%)/(1+400%)
    = (1+4+1)/(1+4)
    = (6/5)
    = 1.2

So these seam like fairly large modifiers, but we then need to consider the proc time of [Over].

Expected Proc times

• Number of Weapons = The number of Weapons with [Over] on them (Ideally 6,7, or 8)
    • Cycle Time = 5 Seconds

• 6 weapons = 33.33s
    • 7 Weapons = 28.57s
    • 8 Weapons = 25.00s

This is all just in theory, so actual proc times might be longer, because of this I'm going to add 10s to these expected times when I use them (since stacks don't seam to build under FAW).

((Fractional Up time)(State of PT ON))+((1-(Fractional Up time)(State of PT OFF))

(You can see more here: https://www.reddit.com/r/stobuilds/wiki/math/critical_chance)

Basically, since we know that PT will last only 1s (since that's how long the damage is dealt from BO as a cyclical nature), we can take its uptime as the duration / the expected proc rates, which have been adjusted to 43.33s for 6 weapons, 38.57s for 7 weapons, and 35.00s for 8 weapons. As well, for the purpose of this example, I'm going to be assuming a 500% Cat1 Saturation (this will in reality change from person to person so for best results you should find your own and use it in these equations).

Finally, we must understand that Overloading is a 4.7x Final Damage modifier on the beam which fires the Overloaded shot. This is taken as a multipier of all damage multipliers and other damage categories.

In our case, our two variables will multiply together (Cat1 x Final) for a 5.4802 (which is 4.7*1.166) modifier.

1. 6 Weapons: ((1/43.33)*(5.4802) + ((1-(1/43.33))*(1)) = 1.1034 Effective Modifier (10.34% increase)
    2. 7 Weapons: ((1/38.57)*(5.4802) + ((1-(1/38.57))*(1)) = 1.1162 Effective Modifier (11.62% increase)
    3. 8 Weapons: ((1/35.00)*(5.4802) + ((1-(1/35.00))*(1)) = 1.1280 Effective Modifier (12.80% increase)

Comparison With [Pen]

Damage Resistance Rating (A.K.A. DRR) follows a very complex non-linear curve of:

So with absolutely no DRR applied to target, [Pen] would be an effective constant multiplier of

((1/4) + 3(75/(150+(0)))^2)/((1/4) + 3(75/(150+(+10)))^2) = 871/784 = 1.0998 Effective Modifier (9.98% increase)

This is rarely the case, and there is normally some other debuffs added into the mix; these additions decrease the effects of [Pen]. For instance, APB is -30 DRR to target. With more APB's stacked on a target, pen becomes less effective

However, if you cannot reliably get [Over] procs, taken to the extreme to be 1/200, for a 1.0224 Effective Modifier (2.24% increase), we can clearly see that we would Prefer [Pen] to [Over].

Final Note

In total, all I can say is these kinda of things are never easy to generalize. I would personally say that [Pen] is to be preferred to [Over] simply because [Pen] is much more reliable and will generate less swing in effective damage output, but [over] still has a fun factor attached to it, so as a Tl;Dr: if you dont care about maximizing potential damage averages take [Pen], if you care more about how it looks and the fun factor of it take [over].

I think I can safely say, that all of that, in its entirety, flew right over my head. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Over with the NX trait??

SetA / Category 1 Buffs

This would look like:

(1+400%+100%)/(1+400%)
    = (1+4+1)/(1+4)
    = (6/5)
    = 1.2

Expected Proc times

• Cycle Time = 5 Seconds

• 6 weapons = 33.33s
    • 7 Weapons = 28.57s
    • 8 Weapons = 25.00s

Comparison With [Pen]

Final Note

I think I can safely say, that all of that, in its entirety, flew right over my head. :)

Impossible for me.. i would catch it..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    > @alcaatraz said:
    > skullblits#4627 wrote: »
    >
    > Over with the NX trait??
    >
    > I'm having my doubts about which one to choose.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > With the understanding that your going to be running beams so as to lead to the choice between [Over] or [Pen], then your going to want to understand (and know) a few variables first.
    >
    > SetA / Category 1 Buffs
    >
    > This Trait Preferential Targeting adds +100% to the Category 1 Damage category to the overloaded, which also includes things like Mark Value (I to XIV), Tactical Consoles (both Specific and general types), and other passive things.
    >
    > As such to give a meaningful answer to 'how good is this', you need to know this value. In general, its around 400%-500% for a high end build, maybe even approaching 600% to 700% with 4 or 5 Epic Tactical consoles. Main thing to get from this is this value is normally very very high.
    >
    > Since the damage buff is in this category, we want to see how a +100% value would effectively improve the damage.
    >
    > * 400% Pre-Cat1: +100% = a 1.200x (or 20.0%) Effective Multiplier
    > * 500% Pre-Cat1: +100% = a 1.166x (or 16.6%) Effective Multiplier
    > * 600% Pre-Cat1: +100% = a 1.142x (or 14.2%) Effective Multiplier
    > * 700% Pre-Cat1: +100% = a 1.125x (or 16.6%) Effective Multiplier
    >
    >
    > Side note, the equations to do this are fairly simple. Because categories are linear then we know we can use a (1+[Current%]+Δ)/(1+[Current%]) to find the effective modifier.
    >
    > This would look like:
    >
    > (1+400%+100%)/(1+400%)
    > = (1+4+1)/(1+4)
    > = (6/5)
    > = 1.2
    >
    > So these seam like fairly large modifiers, but we then need to consider the proc time of [Over].
    >
    > Expected Proc times
    >
    > There is a rather handy, simple equation to find these.
    >
    > Expected Time for Proc = 1/(((Number of weapons)/(Cycle Time))*(Chance))
    >
    > For [Over], this would be:
    >
    > * Number of Weapons = The number of Weapons with [Over] on them (Ideally 6,7, or 8)
    > * Chance = 2.5% = 0.025 = 1/40
    > * Cycle Time = 5 Seconds
    >
    >
    > This means that a single weapon would see, on average, one proc in 200.
    >
    > Expected Time for Proc = 1/(((1)/(5 Seconds))*(1/40)) = 200s
    >
    > With More weapons, we see a higher expected rate.
    >
    > * 6 weapons = 33.33s
    > * 7 Weapons = 28.57s
    > * 8 Weapons = 25.00s
    >
    >
    > This is all just in theory, so actual proc times might be longer, because of this I'm going to add 10s to these expected times when I use them (since stacks don't seam to build under FAW).
    >
    > Putting it together with [Over] and FAW
    >
    > So we now want to use an Uptime approximation on these.
    >
    > ((Fractional Up time)(State of PT ON))+((1-(Fractional Up time)(State of PT OFF))
    >
    > (You can see more here: https://www.reddit.com/r/stobuilds/wiki/math/critical_chance)
    >
    > Basically, since we know that PT will last only 1s (since that's how long the damage is dealt from BO as a cyclical nature), we can take its uptime as the duration / the expected proc rates, which have been adjusted to 43.33s for 6 weapons, 38.57s for 7 weapons, and 35.00s for 8 weapons. As well, for the purpose of this example, I'm going to be assuming a 500% Cat1 Saturation (this will in reality change from person to person so for best results you should find your own and use it in these equations).
    >
    > Finally, we must understand that Overloading is a 4.7x Final Damage modifier on the beam which fires the Overloaded shot. This is taken as a multipier of all damage multipliers and other damage categories.
    >
    > In our case, our two variables will multiply together (Cat1 x Final) for a 5.4802 (which is 4.7*1.166) modifier.
    >
    > This means we end up with the following:
    >
    > * 6 Weapons: ((1/43.33)*(5.4802) + ((1-(1/43.33))*(1)) = 1.1034 Effective Modifier (10.34% increase)
    > * 7 Weapons: ((1/38.57)*(5.4802) + ((1-(1/38.57))*(1)) = 1.1162 Effective Modifier (11.62% increase)
    > * 8 Weapons: ((1/35.00)*(5.4802) + ((1-(1/35.00))*(1)) = 1.1280 Effective Modifier (12.80% increase)
    >
    >
    > Comparison With [Pen]
    >
    > Damage Resistance Rating (A.K.A. DRR) follows a very complex non-linear curve of:
    >
    > (1/4) + 3(75/(150+(DRR)))^2
    >
    > So with absolutely no DRR applied to target, [Pen] would be an effective constant multiplier of
    >
    > ((1/4) + 3(75/(150+(0)))^2)/((1/4) + 3(75/(150+(+10)))^2) = 871/784 = 1.0998 Effective Modifier (9.98% increase)
    >
    > This is rarely the case, and there is normally some other debuffs added into the mix; these additions decrease the effects of [Pen]. For instance, APB is -30 DRR to target. With more APB's stacked on a target, pen becomes less effective
    >
    > * 1xAPB : 1.0744 Effective Modifier (7.44% increase)
    > * 2xAPB : 1.0567 Effective Modifier (5.67% increase)
    > * 3xAPB : 1.0442 Effective Modifier (4.42% increase)
    > * 4xAPB : 1.0349 Effective Modifier (3.49% increase)
    >
    >
    > However, if you cannot reliably get [Over] procs, taken to the extreme to be 1/200, for a 1.0224 Effective Modifier (2.24% increase), we can clearly see that we would Prefer [Pen] to [Over].
    >
    > Final Note
    >
    > In total, all I can say is these kinda of things are never easy to generalize. I would personally say that [Pen] is to be preferred to [Over] simply because [Pen] is much more reliable and will generate less swing in effective damage output, but [over] still has a fun factor attached to it, so as a Tl;Dr: if you dont care about maximizing potential damage averages take [Pen], if you care more about how it looks and the fun factor of it take [over].

*sits in the corner rocking back and forth*

yike's. thanks for taking the time to post this.
  • Options
    reaperclubreaperclub Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    Over with the NX trait??

Very well put thanks!