test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Priority One To Interview DOUG DREXLER and THOMAS MARRONE: What do YOU want us to ask?

fynncobbfynncobb Member Posts: 57 Media Corps
No new episode this week, Captains! Don't Panic! We'll be back next week with episode 311 featuring an interview with Star Trek Online's Thomas "TheCrypticCat" Marrone and Academy Award winning Star Trek Master Artist Doug Drexler! We're going to #GeekOut over SHIPS!!!
Do you have a ship-design related question for these prolific artists? Tell your fellow Trekkies about this interview and leave your questions below!

C8BNubDWsAEHRMx.png

Comments

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    i have one specifically for Drexler

What would the Enterprise-J have looked like had you been given the time needed to fully flesh it out instead of being rushed?​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Any canon ship you personally would like to work on that you haven't worked on already (Be it for STO or something else Star Trek)
    Any new (not-yet-or-ever-canon) ship idea that you would like to work on?

Favorite non-Star Trek ship model that inspired your Star Trek related work?

Who is the expert on Klingon ship design at Cryptic?

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    To Drexler: If had to choose a favourite from Cryptic's ship designs, which would it be?

To Marrone: [Question withdrawn. Even if you weren't in the art dept we wouldn't get much of an answer anyway.]
    Post edited by lopequil on
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Since the Ent-J is squished flat can we expect the K or L to be an overinflated puffer fish?
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    My question is whether we could get more ship customisation options. Some ships like the Lukari one, or lock box ships or even some C-store ships, don't have that many options. Even the hull painting can only be applied to the entire ship (rather than different parts of it) in some cases.
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    This one is to Doug Drexler.
    How would you redesign the Odyssey class?
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,329 Community Moderator
      To Thomas Marrone: will we be seeing any new Mirror ships? If not, can we at least get the Mirror skins and prefixes for our ships?
      GrWzQke.png
      Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
      Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
      Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
      ----> Contact Customer Support <----
      Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
      Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
      Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
      Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    • Options
      kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
      edited March 2017
      As always, i would recommend that you say what they do at Cryptic so that they don't get questions that they can't answer. o:)
      Artist isn't really descriptive enough when there's several types of artists that goes into making video games.
      FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
      Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
    • Options
      iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
      To either Doug or Thomas:

Would you rather fight a hundred duck-sized horses, or one horse-sized duck?​​
      ExtxpTp.jpg
    • Options
      kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
      doug: What kind of ship would you make for STO if you could?

thomas: Will there be more Ferasan/Caitian ships coming?
    • Options
      skullblits#4627 skullblits Member Posts: 1,273 Arc User
      Can i have a press account?
    • Options
      jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
      @Marrone: If you had to pick one Cryptic-designed ship that existed in the game at launch (including variants of canon ships), which would you say is your "guilty pleasure"?

@Drexler: Given the opportunity, which Cryptic-original ship would you want to design a variant for?

• Options
      artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
      To anyone who will answer. T6 Norway class when?
      22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
      Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
      JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
      'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
      'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
      '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
      'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
      '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    • Options
      nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User

What would the Enterprise-J have looked like had you been given the time needed to fully flesh it out instead of being rushed?​​

I hope you understand you're basically asking "Hey, could you come out and publicly badmouth your boss and co-workers for having to make hard decisions in the reality of television production and scheduling instead of giving you unlimited time to putter in your studio?"

I just want you to not be surprised if he declines to commit career-suicide.
    • Options
      starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
      Now that STO let the dogs out....

Will there ever be a BORG cube design in the works?
    • Options
      legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
      edited March 2017
      nikeix wrote: »

What would the Enterprise-J have looked like had you been given the time needed to fully flesh it out instead of being rushed?

I hope you understand you're basically asking "Hey, could you come out and publicly badmouth your boss and co-workers for having to make hard decisions in the reality of television production and scheduling instead of giving you unlimited time to putter in your studio?"

I just want you to not be surprised if he declines to commit career-suicide.

no, i'm asking him to show me a piece of concept art or 3D model of what the J would've looked like if he'd had all the time in the world to make it
      patrickngo wrote: »

What would the Enterprise-J have looked like had you been given the time needed to fully flesh it out instead of being rushed?

that's the kind of passive-aggressive question that someone like ME would ask, (in case you're wondering, that means it's inappropriately hostile and confrontational)

better way to phrase it is, "If you had a clean-sheet and the rough direction to make your version of the Enterprise J, what would you do and how would it differ from the present product version?"

[Part of the post breaking forum rules removed]
      Post edited by jodarkrider on
      Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
      An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
      A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
      A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
      "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
      Passion and Serenity are one.
      I gain power by understanding both.
      In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
      I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
      The Force is united within me.
    • Options
      bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
      Will there be an enterprise K? :D
      Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
      Original STO beta tester.
    • Options
      ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
      Can I ask how come we have yet to see a Tier 6 Vor'cha. Is there some licensing issue ?. We have most of the other cannon KDF ships in game but this ones sorely missing
      maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
    • Options
      tylermaxwelltylermaxwell Member Posts: 184 Arc User
      • What is your favorite ship that you have made for Trek?
      • What is your favorite ship that someone else has made for Trek?
      • What is your least favorite ship in Trek, and how would you fix it (other than just dumping it into the nearest black hole)?
      • What kind of ship(s) do you think is still missing in Trek/what kind of ship(s) would you like to add into the Trek universe?
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]