test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[PC] Details on Space Balance Changes

Comments

• Options
    trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    I wanna know what players are being though of with their investments rofl. Anyone who invested in doffing or to a certain extent contraband yeah these people were seriously screwed. As well this is just sugar coating to say its roll back time to roll back all items back to a lower stat state to sell more lockbox keys. For those who think they are pvp players and ummmm its been 7 years I commend you for your sticking it out but I am pretty sure after 7 years you haven't seen a single change in pvp other than what comes out of a lockbox there is no revamp or changes coming to it especially ones that benefit the players.

The one thing Cryptic never does though is proves me wrong. It would give me a heart attack if it wasn't just a pile of nerfs and actually made the game fun to play again or even honored investments we've made in this game.

The things off top of my head that would go a long way towards making the game fun is first do a nerfing of the overwhelming amount of skillbars needed to use your skills/powers. As well a lot of us had thousands of boffs before your training manual change so it would be really nice if there was there was an old geezer training manual that just trained everything they had before which was mostly just the core powers of tact, eng, and sci. Another thing stop changing the art of icons by the time I might be able to recognize a tenth of them they are all changed again. Biggest thing ever was getting rid of exploration system that thing was the worst mmo content I ever had played. Although being that reputation based content with the queues has become so stale that my targ has a hard time chewing. I would recommend starting up new kinds of content that is worthy of that arc streaming just a few ideas there is nothing in the game currently that a random amount of players could start popping up in an area or map and say oh hey it seems we all have raiders and maybe if there was something to raid we could raid it. Then maybe you have some players that are thinking geeze I wish there was content where we weren't in combat all the time maybe combating some contagion or anomalie in space that poses a threat and be a source of what some view as a pivotal element of Star Trek.

Anyways I have built a wall of text around Cryptic now and have fulfilled by promise tracker.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I agree this looks interesting. I really really hope BOARDING PARTY receives a well deserved update, though. I think I'm the only one using it sometimes pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    sovereign2727sovereign2727 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    With all that, tanks that rely on FAW and FBP can be... thrown out the airlock?
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    djf021 wrote: »
    IT BEGINS!
    Fire at Will now has a slight penalty to the weapon’s damage instead of an increase at ranks II and III, and has an accuracy debuff as well.

THE TEARS LET THEM FLOW!

Not exactly the kind of nerf I was looking for, personally I was looking for a huge single target nerf but only a slight multi target nerf, but this could be interesting ... that has to be poorly worded though, cause that makes it sound like rank 1 will be all-around better than ranks 2 and 3

I agree. When I read that, I thought "Then why would I want rank 2 or 3?"
    risian4 wrote: »
    IT BEGINS!
    Fire at Will now has a slight penalty to the weapon’s damage instead of an increase at ranks II and III, and has an accuracy debuff as well.

THE TEARS LET THEM FLOW!

Not exactly the kind of nerf I was looking for, personally I was looking for a huge single target nerf but only a slight multi target nerf, but this could be interesting ... that has to be poorly worded though, cause that makes it sound like rank 1 will be all-around better than ranks 2 and 3

The point is, I think, that FAW 3 is only accessible on ships that are already very Tac oriented.

This change will therefore hit those who completely build around FAW, not the more casual users who don't mind using FAW 1 or those who fly cruisers or Sci ships with only room for FAW 1. And that's a good thing.

Per Cryptic Spartan (via reddit of all things ... seriously why is there a forum if the devs aren't ever going to use it!?):

It appears that line was not as clear as I intended it to be. Fire at Will will now (subject to change) have a slight penalty to damage at all ranks. This is in contrast to its current state where at ranks 2 and 3 Fire at Will is a damage boost.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    nappers1nappers1 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    Looks good.
  • Options
    totenmettotenmet Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    And a month after everything is implemented they find out things got out of balance even more because some clever people find new OP combinations devs did not think about and nerfing start all over again, like usual. :-(
  • Options
    relianter1relianter1 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Is that a T6 Miranda?
  • Options
    daviddxxdaviddxx Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    cidstorm wrote: »

Subnuke is what made sci an important part of the trifecta in PVP and boss fights, making it a boff ability is a HUGE mistake. You could argue that this will help against PVP immunity spam, but that already seems to be addressed separately. Subnuke being a key part of PVP makes its placement on the boff matte a huge sci nerf in that capacity. WTF.

Overcharge deflector should be tastefully added to science fleet, which for some reason buffs drain but not control.

Yes.. cant understand this and like i said.. this is such a TRIBBLE ! But this makes clear that they have no clue whats going on in PvP.

Regarts
    David
    fIDFtkM.gif
    Star Trek Online
    *** Aktiv since 03.06.10 ***
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    "Subnucleonic Beam is now a Lieutenant Commander or higher Science Bridge Officer Power. In its place, Science Captains now gain Deflector Overcharge, which significantly increases outgoing healing, exotic damage, control abilities, and drain abilities for a short duration."

This is the only part of this I really don't like as a pvper and a science captain. I see the pve advantages but they don't outweigh the loss for pvp, this would be better implemented with Deflector Overcharge as a science boff skill.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    I bet with you that running 125 weapon power with overcap is still the best way to go when you use energy weapons. The same as before. And everyone not using energy weapons and relying on torps and exotic damage can still get away with 15 weapon power as before.
    I don't believe "overcapping" is the same as setting your weapon power to 170 with OSS3. By changing the formula, they devalue OSS as well as flat out nerf the changes to Engineers they announced in the same blog!

Who cares if EPS Power Transfer raises Max Power by 10, if that only results in any noticable improvement if your current power level is at or less than 100.

Currently on ground, the [WpnPwr] skill has almost no effect if you have more than 100 points in it. If the Weapon Subsystem meets the same fate, then this change to Engineers is pointless.
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    Ok, but give me one example of another ability that gets worse at higher ranks? There aren't any, therfore the only logical conclusion is that the description of the BFAW nerf was poorly worded.

I'd agree that faw's poorly worded, however Gravity Well and Tyken's Rift both got worse as they went up ranks for several years.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    I really like the list of changes. But are you going to revisit other boff powers like photonic shockwave, charged particle burst, boarding party and aceton beam as well? It would be great to get some real alternatives to the most used boff powers out there.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    totenmet wrote: »
    And Cryptic does it again. What a disappointment for me.

All my current builds become useless.
    What do I need to do to get into the special game testing group that has early access to the changes, like you? I want to see how it affects my builds, too.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    are they adding a pvp option to this game?

but seriously folks. Sounds OK to me so far. The buffs to sci and eng seem promising.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    orondis wrote: »
    Okay, first I'll add my own disclaimer for this post - I'm aware that things aren't set in stone.

Like:-
    • Fire at Will - I like the proposed changes and that's speaking as a FAW boat captain. It's simply too overpowered at the moment.
    • Hanger pets - Much needed.
    • Beam Overload - It was pretty ridiculous that it didn't drain any power AND always critted. So yeah, I like the sound of it, though it'll depend on the dmg buff.
    • Reflected damage (FBP) - Oh this is a much needed change.
    • Targetable torpedoes - Good proposed change, should make them more attractive.
    • Photonic Fleet - At the moment they're just themed ballons, so this might make them more worthwhile.
    • Immunities - Star Trek Online is rather full of them, so giving them a cooldown and allowing them to be stripped is a good change. Honestly, sme people were chaining these to have almost 100% uptime.
    • Hold and disable resistances - Yeah, that should put an end to the over reliance on them that you get in both PVP and PvE.

Not sure on:-
    • Nerfing Hot restarts: Not sure what I feel on this one. It's essentially also a nerf to Override Subsystem Safties, which is really the only Intel power that's any good.

Dislike:-
    • Subnucleonic Beam as a Lt Cmdr Sci Bridge Officer power - No, as a PvPer I really don't like this. Unless it's heavily nerfed when it becomes a boff power, it's going to put tactically focused cruisers at a distinct disadvantage (since most don't have access to lt Cmdr sci stations) and pretty much kill any tanking, whether it's shield, hull or speed tanking. Even as a captain power it pretty much spells doom if you slapped with it in PvP. Maybe make it like the subnucleonic carrier wave, but targetted.
    IT BEGINS!

THE TEARS LET THEM FLOW!

As someone who uses it primarily, I'm all for it. It's insane that an AOE power is so immensely powerful.

The main changes to fbp are:
    1.) cant crit anymore and
    2.) All abilities that reflect damage now deal the damage type they are reflecting..(FBP already does this)
    3.) be buffed by damage increases (Im assuming APA and the like not the EPG or Exotic Passive or the Trait)

So..In PVP..you can still 1 shot yourself..Just might be as useful in PVE as it was Pre-Delta.

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    orondis wrote: »

Dislike:-
    • Subnucleonic Beam as a Lt Cmdr Sci Bridge Officer power - No, as a PvPer I really don't like this. Unless it's heavily nerfed when it becomes a boff power, it's going to put tactically focused cruisers at a distinct disadvantage (since most don't have access to lt Cmdr sci stations) and pretty much kill any tanking, whether it's shield, hull or speed tanking. Even as a captain power it pretty much spells doom if you slapped with it in PvP. Maybe make it like the subnucleonic carrier wave, but targetted.

Subnuke was in the toilet thanks to auto debuff clearing junk. Combined with immunity CDs, it's an excellent change. Like I said before, all that remains is fixing entropy mechanics.

• Options
    racerexiaracerexia Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    The hammer blow that a lot of people just felt to their stomachs is real, the panic attacks of the collective will be heard, then it will die. It's as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly... well not silenced because we will be reading about this for quite sometime.

Hear thee mine words of contempt. All the nerfs... not cool bro, not cool.
    That said, all the cool buffs to sci and engi, love it.

Rating for this news: C-
  • Options
    cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    you need, at max, 3 skill bars

I fill up 4 and half skill bars on average.
  • Options
    sgtfloydpepper#7911 sgtfloydpepper Member Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    I'm not so sure Cryptic understands the meaning of "fun".

>_>
    <_<
    1xe027q.png
  • Options
    crypticspartan#0627 crypticspartan Member Posts: 847 Cryptic Developer
    szim wrote: »
    I really like the list of changes. But are you going to revisit other boff powers like photonic shockwave, charged particle burst, boarding party and aceton beam as well? It would be great to get some real alternatives to the most used boff powers out there.

A lot of boff powers are listed in the Patch notes, which will be on Tribble, but were not mentioned in the blog.
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    A point I saw raised - the new science captain ability is ship-specific, and assumes to be running an exotic build, it would not be very useful on a low-science cruiser (versus heals and power, which everyone likes, or damage, which everyone really likes).
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    They already had a method in-game to protect Pets from Warp Core Breaches - Scratch the Paint. Instead of giving all pets that, they have to come up with another method (which will inevitably not work as intended) and re-do what Scratch the Paint does for Pets to compensate. Remember KISS.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    crypticspartan#0627 crypticspartan Member Posts: 847 Cryptic Developer
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    Unfortunately, @crypticspartan#0627 feels more like answering questions on some other company's website (reddit) than here... so the more fruitful discussion once again takes place there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/5zdg0z/details_on_space_balance_changes/

This thread got started much, much slower than the Reddit thread (two comments vs ~thirty in the first half hour), and as such I have not been checking it as frequently.