test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Would it have been so difficult...

...to combine the server maintenance with todays nerf patch, so there was only one period of downtime during the week?

Just sayin'

White Knight replies not welcome.

Comments

• echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,916 Arc User
    I'd say no, right off the bat. One was physical maint for the most part, with them getting inside the hardware themselves. This is patch day. And pretty huge patch it is.

You also can't dictate who can or can't reply. You'll get all kinds of replies, whether you want them or not. Just saying.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    koppster wrote: »
    ...to combine the server maintenance with todays nerf patch, so there was only one period of downtime during the week?

Just sayin'

Makes too much sense.

Also just an FYI, but on the forum, any reply is allowed white knight or not, unless it is harassment there really is not much you can do. So I would put the fire suit on just in case.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    It's hard to install software on equipment you are turning off for physical maintenance.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,643 Arc User
    Yes, apply a patch to the hard drive array while it is outside of the server case and a new motherboard is being installed. That's gonna work great!

I suppose they could have extended maintenance to 18-24 hours straight and had the software team take over once the hardware work was done.

The patch was probably still in QA two days before its scheduled deployment, but hey a few more bugs will make certain people happy because then they'll have more to complain about. Win-win!
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    Valid points all. TY guys.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    They would have had to wait until after they completed the server maintenance before they could even begin installing the patch, so basically what you're saying is that you wish the servers had been down for literally the entire day on Tuesday ... that wouldn't make any sense from any perspective
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,816 Community Moderator
    ...To complete the thread topic in the title rather than make a clickbait title?

Now that I know what the thread is actually about: how about, no. As others have said, installing a software patch on a dismantled server would necessitate a much longer downtime that no one wants.

Oh, and incomplete thread titles not welcome.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • snipey47asnipey47a Member Posts: 485 Media Corps

Just sayin'

What does maintenance on the entire PWE/Cryptic suite of games and online system have to do with a patch of updates for Star Trek Online? They seem very separate to me.
  • tm706tm706 Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    I hear Cryptic is hiring. I'm sure someone with your considerable knowledge about resource management would be a "hire now" prospect for them.
    Coffee is life.

Message me in-game (@tm706) for help

1st Alpha Quadrant Fleet
  • koppsterkoppster Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    The "White Knight" comment was ironic, but it's gratifying to see so many ignore the joke so forcefully.

The logistics of server maintenance/software updates concern me little. As a customer, that is not my problem. My comment was just a general observation that these things could be planned better in order to minimise inconvenience to customers. That other MMO seems to do a sterling job of keeping instances of players being unable to play to a bare minimum. Hours and hours of downtime in the space of 48 hours is not doing a great job of preventing the former.
  • tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User

Just sayin'

You should go run your own company. I'm sure it will be a massive success.
    edited February 2017
    I'm just going to ignore the juvenile, "why aren't you a gazillionaire games Emperor with 27 lamborghinis and 7 mansions full of Playboy bunnies" responses *cough* White Knights *cough* and respond to one:
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Combining all of the patches plus the physical maintinence is by defenition the logistics you claim "concern me little". Pointing this out is not being a "white knight" its just having a brain.

I'm confused as to what you are trying to say here. Apart from alluding that I'm stupid, is it your assertion that the methods a company employs to keep hardware and software running and the impact those methods have on the customer experience, in fact the "problem" of the customer?

No, we're saying
    - you can't do server code and database changes at the same time as you are doing hardware maintenance that makes those servers unavailable.
    - the software update was not scheduled to be ready for deployment until Thursday.

In short, the answer to your thread title is: "yes."

Just answerin'
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User

Just sayin'

No, because the 6 hour+ downtime was more network infrastructure wide - and if you introduce a new software patch into that - you muddy the waters in that it's going to be harder to access any problems with the network infrastructure if you include a new software update in the mix.

They wanted to do the infrastructure maintenance/update using a known version of the software that they were familiar with so it would be easier to isolate any problems with that network infrastructure maintenance/upgrade.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User

Just sayin'

Sad to say: That would take coordination between all sorts of different facilities and departments. Very rare to find such organization and people willing to work together to accomplish that.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    The "White Knight" comment was ironic, but it's gratifying to see so many ignore the joke so forcefully.

The logistics of server maintenance/software updates concern me little. As a customer, that is not my problem. My comment was just a general observation that these things could be planned better in order to minimise inconvenience to customers. That other MMO seems to do a sterling job of keeping instances of players being unable to play to a bare minimum. Hours and hours of downtime in the space of 48 hours is not doing a great job of preventing the former.

Please explain to me how exactly you expect anyone to install an update to a hard drive that isn't connected to anything? All MMOs have extra downtime when they do hardware upgrades. As far as other games are concerned the only one I can think of with substantially less downtime is WoW, and that's only because they've made improvements to their system to allow most fixes to go live with the servers still active, which is something no other MMO I know of has done yet.
    eaY7Xxu.png
    Sure, as a customer you can wish for spending levels that will bankrupt a company.

The company will most likely decline to grant your wish.
    I'd love to reply, but my comments now need to be approved before being posted as I've obviously been flagged as an anarchist by the moderators. Enjoy the thread.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,816 Community Moderator

Please, enjoy yourself playing "that other MMO". It concerns us little how you think it could be done better without the slightest idea of how things work.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • dakotadahotnessdakotadahotness Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    They would have had to wait until after they completed the server maintenance before they could even begin installing the patch, so basically what you're saying is that you wish the servers had been down for literally the entire day on Tuesday ... that wouldn't make any sense from any perspective

As opposed to two half days I prefer my pain all at once
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »
    I'd say no, right off the bat. One was physical maint for the most part, with them getting inside the hardware themselves. This is patch day. And pretty huge patch it is.

Yeah. A few days ago I was thinking the same thing; like "Not two maintenance events every week, right?!" But the extra ones we've seen the last 2 weeks were just part of a preparation of something, and this is not going to be a permanent thing. So it's all good.
    You also can't dictate who can or can't reply. You'll get all kinds of replies, whether you want them or not. Just saying.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that trying to dictate what people cannot reply is a certified way to attract *precisely* the kind of responses one sought to avoid. :P
    3lsZz0w.jpg

As opposed to two half days I prefer my pain all at once

2 half days means zero downtime during prime time US, doing it all at once would likely have meant downtime during those hours on Tuesday, which could be a much larger sales hit than doing it on two separate days.
    eaY7Xxu.png
    No, because the 6 hour+ downtime was more network infrastructure wide - and if you introduce a new software patch into that - you muddy the waters in that it's going to be harder to access any problems with the network infrastructure if you include a new software update in the mix.

They wanted to do the infrastructure maintenance/update using a known version of the software that they were familiar with so it would be easier to isolate any problems with that network infrastructure maintenance/upgrade.

While that would be what most companies would do, they apparently put out a patch for PS4 along with the server maintenance.. soooooo.. yeah.
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User

Just sayin'

1st downtime was ARC doing physical maintnence so all cryptic games were down

2nd was this weeks STO patch

• nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    White knight replies not welcome? So does that mean you only want players that agree with your point of view to reply?
    Tza0PEl.png
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,916 Arc User
    Well, apparently he was 'joking' or being 'sarcastic' when he mentioned white knights. At least that's what he said.

He doesn't seem to understand that one can't apply software updates when the servers are not connected.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    He doesn't seem to understand that one can't apply software updates when the servers are not connected.
    While I completely understand why they did things the way they did, this is simply not true as they did a PS4 patch.
    All three Cryptic games will be having maintenance tomorrow, 2/21, starting at 6am PST. For Star Trek Online, that means that PC, Xbox One and Playstation 4 will all be down for maintenance from 6am PST to around 12pm PST. During this time, we will be applying a patch to Playstation 4 only.

tempus64 wrote: »
    While I completely understand why they did things the way they did, this is simply not true as they did a PS4 patch.
    All three Cryptic games will be having maintenance tomorrow, 2/21, starting at 6am PST. For Star Trek Online, that means that PC, Xbox One and Playstation 4 will all be down for maintenance from 6am PST to around 12pm PST. During this time, we will be applying a patch to Playstation 4 only.

Seems fairly simple to me, PS4 is probably somehow separate from other Cryptic games, possibly as a requirement from Sony, and the hardware upgrade therefore did not apply to them
    eaY7Xxu.png
    tempus64 wrote: »

Seems fairly simple to me, PS4 is probably somehow separate from other Cryptic games, possibly as a requirement from Sony, and the hardware upgrade therefore did not apply to them

Or just:
    - The PS4 patch was already planned for Tuesday as the normal console patch day, had already passed QA, and was approved by Sony
    - The 6 hours included time for applying the patch after the hardware changes to the PS4 servers. It ended up being 8 hours. Add on PC and maybe 10 hours?

For the PC, Thursday is the normal patch day and I'm guessing the development and QA schedules reflect that. Outside of emergency fixes the patches are not going to be ready to be deployed two days early.

• cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    85130294.gif

Hey OP, this is for you.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
This discussion has been closed.