test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How do you deal with the monotany of playing the Omega mini-game for an extended period of time?

I am sure there are plenty of players grinding omega particles for a long period of time. How do you pass the time?

I find that watching a familiar movie while playing the mini-game helps me relax and make farming feel less of a chore. Basically have STO running in a window and move it off to the side and I resize the movie so that I can see enough of the STO window to play the mini-game. I use MPC-HC to watch the movie and I set it to be always on top while playing a video; see below for an example. I also sometimes listen to audiobooks as well.

kdA38on.jpg

Comments

• jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    Yeah, John Hurt past away on January 27th.

It's been a long while since I last saw Alien (Director's Cut) so I figured I would do so tonight.
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    You don't actually have to play it. Just start it and leave it alone until the countdown reaches zero. You still get the credit.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    You don't actually have to play it. Just start it and leave it alone until the countdown reaches zero. You still get the credit.

Ever so much this. Got my laptop in front of me where I sit on the couch, and Netflix running on the Vizio just to the left of that.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

Yeah, but you just get one trace of that color. If you play it, you get a green every time and have a shot at Blue and Purple. Playing it that way is pointless, you would have to do it hundreds of times per color just for a minimal return.

As for me, I have a TV in my computer room so I keep STO full screen and I just mute it while I play the Omega Game. I usually put something on TV that's entertaining that I don't need to concentrate on.. usually something I have seen before. I did some farming today and I just muted the game and streamed Season 4 of Archer from my Plex Server.

I actually kinda like the Omega Game, though I admit.. after a few hundred rounds it gets kinda old. :)
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    I did that last year... this time around?

I just threw Ec at it and bought stacks of traces to craft into upgrades.. :blush:
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    second screen! ;)

Val's streams ,Timeless ,Saturday night live ,Homeland ,Powerless ,Flash ,Supergirl ,Arrow ,Big bang .. ,The100 ,Colony ,MacGyver ,Hawaii.Five-0 ,Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. ,Legends of Tomorrow ,APB ,Supernatural and the new Underworld movie is nice

any other suggestions?!
    Post edited by garaks31 on
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User

Nah... I always shoot for a score of between 2,000 to 2,700.
    garaks31 wrote: »
    second screen! ;)

Yeah, but I am not home so I'm playing the game on one of my laptops. Otherwise I would be playing the game on one of my two 26 inch 1920x1200 monitors.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I don't grind omega particles, got my pulse phasers to mk xiv with phoenix upgrades i had leftover. For the anniversary daily I did reputations during the first two planets, then played hearthstone on my phone during the third.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • revanindustriesrevanindustries Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    I actually enjoy the monotony. It's rather soothing. I'll just buckle down and play it for about 3 hours uninterrupted, then turn on a show and go for another couple hours.
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    I don't deal with it. I did the required daily; sometimes 2-3 extra scans (sometimes involuntary because space is not ground :p ). But overall its the type of stuff that would melt my brain if I'd actively grind it.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    Aside from afking it to get the ship, I just bought what I needed from the exchange.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• siliconpsychosiliconpsycho Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    ive never done them. Ive never done the anniversary grind either because the mini game is just so.....meh. I don't miss omega upgrades or the anniversary ships and not once have ever though "man, I wish id done it this year"
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    garaks31 wrote: »
    second screen! ;)

Val's streams ,Saturday night live ,Homeland ,Powerless ,Flash ,Supergirl ,Arrow ,Big bang .. ,The100 ,Colony ,MacGyver ,Hawaii.Five-0 ,Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. ,Legends of Tomorrow ,APB ,Supernatural and the new Underworld movie is nice

any other suggestions?!

Star Trek?
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    bergins wrote: »

Star Trek?

good one. i watched all 3 trek movies jj is a real visionar are there any more star trek works maybe fan made ;)
    Post edited by garaks31 on
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    I just listen to music or podcasts or something i've been meaning to listen to for a while. Then go for an hour or so on one colour a day.
    Getting around 2000pts per particle nets you a decent rate of return.

And in between i'll do some doff and admiralty missions as timers run out.
    SulMatuul.png
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    "Star Trek: Horizon" was OK, had an interesting take on the Iconians.
    "Star Trek Continues" is pretty good, it features at least a couple actors who have done voice work for STO.
    "Red Shirt Diaries" is fun to watch between episodes of TOS.
    Haven't watched "Renegades" but it has, among others, Tuvok and Checkov IIRC.
    I've been watching "Enterprise" on Netflix while playing the game lately, but that isn't Fan Made. At least "Voyager" and TOS are also available there...

As to how I actually handle the monotony of the particle game, I buy mine off the exchange.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    I don't play the omega game other then to get the Cool Ranch Dorito ship. After that it's kind of pointless because of the bug where you start the game now and then and it ends as you start and have zero points to show for it. I'd rather be pew pew'n then sliding a stupid bar up and down. If I wanted that I'd play mobile games and not bother with STO.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    Lag/latency killed what little fun this game could be a long time ago. I ran the hellish game on a single character and quit the moment i no longer had to.

Next year/anniversary add something which does not require one to travel across the map and bother with numerous map transitions to top it with a lag infested minigame.

The mini Q boxes were not half as bad.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    i do it while drinking my morning coffee and limit it to around 45 min a day. even so i'm getting pretty anxious for it to end.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• sarah2774sarah2774 Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    I play the omega game to make myself sleepy then go to bed.
    OPv9m3F.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I thought you farmed about half a bajillion last year. :)

I can't get more than 600 or so, usually around 395. I just did what I had to to get the ship. When the speed picks up at 100 points and 300 points particles just zoom and disappear. Even if the catcher is in a row with tons of particles coming they just pick up speed and disappear like they jumped over the catcher.

I started just parking the catcher and really do like it when it quits at 0 Points.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I farmed last year and would just keep track of how many I had and go for around 100 in each color/day then do it over the next. This year I haven't been able to farm due to illness/computer problems. My processor burned up last Thursday evening and I had just gotten my ship that morning.

No way I can do the Omega minigame on my laptop, the lag is overwhelmingly horrible. I simply have Arc and a few games installed so I can keep up with my Arc quests while I wait to see if my SIL has an extra processor or until I can move some money to my paypal so I can order one if I need to. Hopefully it'll get replaced before the Summer Event rolls in.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited February 2017
    I just do what I usually do... 3-4 of each color once a day which usually nets me 6-8 trace of each color depending on how bad I end up bombing one or if it just auto aborts on me
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    I thought you farmed about half a bajillion last year. :)

I can't get more than 600 or so, usually around 395. I just did what I had to to get the ship. When the speed picks up at 100 points and 300 points particles just zoom and disappear. Even if the catcher is in a row with tons of particles coming they just pick up speed and disappear like they jumped over the catcher.

I started just parking the catcher and really do like it when it quits at 0 Points.

the jumping is real. it happens when you miss several pieces of a particle. when you finally do complete the particle there is a quantum leap and you will miss 3 or 4 pieces.

i got it down pretty tight this year. 45 min a day will be about 55 to 60 omegas. it's all i can take anymore.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,111 Arc User
    How do I deal with it? I don't play it - and just take my one particle. Hell, I'm only doing the Q particle mission once a day on one character to 'earn' the Anniversary promo ship this year. Today will be my last day even doing that as I'll have 1000 whatever they are to get the ship.

Bottom Line: Don't like a mini-game? Don't play it. OR if it's attached to an item you want - play it just enough to obtain that item.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    My desktop would play the minigame pretty well, even would score max points now and then, or between 2000-2500 minimum. Once in awhile they would 'jump', but not enough not to get the sliver/traces for the most part.

You do the minigame enough, you learn to anticipate when the the speed increases and adjust accordingly. I only netted 600-700 when I used the KB instead of the mouse. Now the only time I net that much is if the minigame auto-quits on me.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    I don't. I just do it once a day, but make sure to gather 5 of each particle. I won't end up with a ton of omega upgrades, but I would rather do what's fun then grind.
    Tza0PEl.png