test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"Fixing" Target Subsystems

nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
The quartet of Target Subsystems abilities many science vessels have access to are really coming up short as incentive to play/buy those types of ships. There's just no wow, no pizzazz. The problem has been pushed into the spotlight with the new T6 multi-mission ship which have the TSS abilities and yet their special/unique weapons are cannons...

Would it be possible for these abilities to get a review for effectiveness and/or be switched to a Surgical Strikes style format where they can be used with both Beams AND Cannons?

Comments

• amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    I thought it'd be cool to change the sci ships subsystem targeting to be a toggle, like the cruiser commands, which then alters the effects of sensor analysis. For example, if you toggle the target shield subsystem then sensor analysis would debuff your targets ability to heal/regenerate shields quickly as well as slow distribution of shields to each facing. When targeting an ally ship, the usual buffs apply, and the targeted player's ship shields are automatically redistributed.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »
    The quartet of Target Subsystems abilities many science vessels have access to are really coming up short as incentive to play/buy those types of ships. There's just no wow, no pizzazz. The problem has been pushed into the spotlight with the new T6 multi-mission ship which have the TSS abilities and yet their special/unique weapons are cannons...

Would it be possible for these abilities to get a review for effectiveness and/or be switched to a Surgical Strikes style format where they can be used with both Beams AND Cannons?

Absolutely support this, science abilities in general have been lackluster of late even with the advancement of having some of the new doffs in your ship the science skills are in need of an overdue revamp.
  • tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    amosov78 wrote: »
    I thought it'd be cool to change the sci ships subsystem targeting to be a toggle, like the cruiser commands, which then alters the effects of sensor analysis. For example, if you toggle the target shield subsystem then sensor analysis would debuff your targets ability to heal/regenerate shields quickly as well as slow distribution of shields to each facing. When targeting an ally ship, the usual buffs apply, and the targeted player's ship shields are automatically redistributed.

Seems like doing this would totally change the abilities for non-science ships, who don't have sensor analysis. If this kind of a change were to be made, it'd be best to call the toggle something other than 'target subsystems'. As outlined, it sounds more like 'gather intel' than the current abilities.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »

and they still need to set the CD on the innate versions to match the boff versions...​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    I don't feel that's a true statement. That the two resemble each other doesn't mean they need to be identical.

Looking forward to the new version though. Wish granted, it seems :).
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Since they are now for beams and cannons and apply a drain over time (if I read it correctly) they may be a boon for drain builds now (in the future) pig-1.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou