test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Hydrogen turned into Metal

comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
Harvard University at it again, they just turned Hydrogen into an actual metal...

https://youtu.be/1qitm5fteL0

Science is freaking awesome guys!!!!
6tviTDx.png

Comments

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    is this actually useful for anything or was it just someone dinking around?​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    If metallic hydrogen can be made stable at room temperature, it becomes much safer to transport than gaseous hydrogen - for, say, use as a fuel in hydrogen-burning cars.

Even at cryogenic temperatures, it would be safer than liquid hydrogen.

(The video lists a number of other uses for it, assuming it can be made metastable - basically, the long-sought-after room-temperature superconductor, or a safer and virtually nontoxic rocket fuel.)​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
    The (very first) beginnings of a real Genesis Device? :open_mouth:
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/enginelist.php#id--Chemical--Metastable--Metallic_Hydrogen this is why it could be a big deal even just for spaceflight alone!
  • Options
    lazarxlazarx Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    If metallic hydrogen can be made stable at room temperature, it becomes much safer to transport than gaseous hydrogen - for, say, use as a fuel in hydrogen-burning cars.

Even at cryogenic temperatures, it would be safer than liquid hydrogen.

(The video lists a number of other uses for it, assuming it can be made metastable - basically, the long-sought-after room-temperature superconductor, or a safer and virtually nontoxic rocket fuel.)​​

Hydrogen can only become metallic at certain combinations of temperature and high pressure. It is the only element that occupies two positions on the periodic table, that of the metal and non-metal.

lazarx_2855.jpg
  • Options
    lazarxlazarx Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    is this actually useful for anything or was it just someone dinking around?​​

It's useful because now we've experimentally observed something that we've been theorizing about for decades. Jupiter is believed to have a mantle of metallic hydrogen surrounding it's core.

lazarx_2855.jpg