Install Arc
Options

Astronaut and former Senator John Glenn dead at 95

2»

Comments

• Options
    bwleon7bwleon7 Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    I would like a memorial for those killed. Just put the real Space Mirror Memorial in the game at the Academy.

513559main_mirror.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Mirror_Memorial
    Dr. Miranda Jones: I understand, Mr. Spock. The glory of creation is in its infinite diversity.
    Mr. Spock: And the ways our differences combine, to create meaning and beauty.

-Star Trek: Is There in Truth No Beauty? (1968)
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Senator Glenn was a hero for all, and I would support a monument to him and all space pioneers, regardless of their nationality.
    Post edited by anodynes on
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    No Soviets.

Yuri Gagarin was the first man in space, that is worthy of memorial
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
      [quote="theraven2378;13124580"][quote="officerbatman81;13124529"]No Soviets.[/quote]

Yuri Gagarin was the first man in space, that is worthy of memorial[/quote]

I agree the cosmonauts deserve recognition. Some of the important ones are still alive, Gennady Palenka, Valentina Tereshkova & Alexy Leonov for example. They are the person with the most time in space, the first woman in orbit, and the first human to spacewalk.

But a good nomination for a cosmonaut on the memorial would be Vlad Komarov who was the first fatality in the space race and the First person to return to space (fly a second mission).
    • Options
      theotherscotty#9105 theotherscotty Member Posts: 385 Arc User
      edited December 2016
      @gavinruneblade: Agreed 100%. I named one of my ships the USS Komarov a long time ago. And another the USS Tereshkova (she was the first woman in space). I've also got a USS Armstrong and USS Aldrin. Oh, and my Excelsior-class the USS Onizuka (he was one of the astronauts who lost their lives in the space shuttle Challenger accident).
    • Options
      baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
      And if it weren't for the Russians, we wouldn't have Chekhov. ;)
      GrWzQke.png
      Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
      Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
      Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
      ----> Contact Customer Support <----
      Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
      Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
      Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
      Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    • Options
      kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
      No Soviets.

please leave your bigotry in the 1980s where it belongs. They were/are just as deserving of honor and recognition as the American personnel. If anything, considering the corners the soviets cut, their balls were bigger.
    • Options
      gawainviiigawainviii Member Posts: 328 Arc User
      My idea:
      Repurpose the Hfihar Mining Colony map, call it "New Berlin", reachable from Sol System.
      Memorial statue of a Space Shuttle w/ plaque.
      New backdrop showing "Earthrise" and an atmospheric dome effect.

Alternate idea:
      Repurpose the Vlugta Asteroid map, call it "Sea of Tranquility", reachable from Sol System.
      Memorial statue of a Lunar Lander w/ plaque.
      New backdrop showing "Earthrise" and an atmospheric dome effect.

Plaque image should list the names of deceased who have actually gone to space--including Challenger & Colombia victims like Christa McAuliffe, with a text-only list of deceased with a significant impact on the various nations' space programs that haven't been to space... like JFK, Sergei Korolev, Robert Goddard, and Edwin Hubble.
      newstosiggy.png
    • Options
      thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
      Agreed. No Soviets. But no Americans either. Both Glenn and Gagarin were Human before they were anything else. Both truly "boldly went where no one had gone before". Both are wonderful examples of what being Human really is. Both, along with the rest of those few who have touched the sky, along with the thousands who helped them get there, are worthy of the respect due them from the rest of us.

Both should be honored and remembered until the end of time. To do any less or to exclude one or the other because of some unimportant ideology makes us less than we should be. And cheapens the gifts they gave us.
      A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
    • Options
      talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
      I say there should be a memorial in Star Fleet Academy honoring those who lost their lives for the exploration of space. I'd also love to see the Challenger and Columbia crews added ofcourse. I can still remember sitting and watching the Challenger explosion as a child with my dad and being utterly shocked it blew up.
      afMSv4g.jpg
      Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
    • Options
      unclegoldieunclegoldie Member Posts: 263 Arc User
      I'm all for a memorial for all of these real-life heroes. Starfleet Academy does seem like a logical location, but I agree with many of the other posters in saying that a neutral location so all factions can visit might be better.
      Epohh Vindaloo and beer milkshakes for everyone
      jH7LGEi.jpg
    • Options
      talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
      I'm all for a memorial for all of these real-life heroes. Starfleet Academy does seem like a logical location, but I agree with many of the other posters in saying that a neutral location so all factions can visit might be better.

Best Place would be Deep Space 9 then.
      afMSv4g.jpg
      Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
    • Options
      unclegoldieunclegoldie Member Posts: 263 Arc User
      talonxv wrote: »

Best Place would be Deep Space 9 then.
      Maybe on the upper level by the set of windows where the wormhole appears?
      Epohh Vindaloo and beer milkshakes for everyone
      jH7LGEi.jpg
    • Options
      steaensteaen Member Posts: 644 Arc User
      edited December 2016
      I'd love to see something like this, to honour all of those (of all nationalities) who have boldly gone where few have gone before.

I've had a few real space-based names for my ships, including the USS Tim Peake, USS Discovery and indeed my current Archon-class USS Apollo.

My partner, who also plays, has had the USS Challenger, USS Discovery, USS Endeavour, USS Columbia and currently flies a Hestia-class by the name of USS Atlantis. He would have had the name of the other Shuttle orbiter as well, even though it never actually went to space, but that name is prohibited for some reason - no idea why. ;)
    • Options
      saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
      edited December 2016
      Ah, so, this is Olivia's post that got deleted on the other thread about John Glenn's passing. Multiple troll threads that got closed, use of a recently-passed-away astronaut to further a nutcase that got rightfully moderated, and now going around a moderator.

Hopefully, it'll finally be enough to permanently spare us the conspiracy stupidities.
      #TASforSTO
      Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
    • Options
      narxes081206narxes081206 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
      +1
    • Options
      kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
      While I think a "moon map" or similar would be cool, I just don't think itd be a good use of the environmental art team to take a few weeks to do, this is why I think something nice, tasteful, and simple would be best.
    • Options
      meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
      edited December 2016
      I appreciate the importance of John Glenn as an astronaut, but - puts on flame-retardant suit - I'm not a 100% sure I'm in favor of a memorial for him in STO.

I mean, shouldn't we reserve a spot in STO to those who actually have a connection to Trek?! A tribute to Anton Yelchin?! Great! But if John Glenn gets one, should we then include the Wright brothers too? Or Amelia Earhart? Just sayin'.
      3lsZz0w.jpg
    • Options
      bwleon7bwleon7 Member Posts: 310 Arc User
      edited December 2016
      What about just a marker that stands for all those that have gone boldly in the unknown? Something simple like a picture of space and a quote about space or exploration.

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. T.S. Eliot
      darkrift-orig_full.jpg
      Dr. Miranda Jones: I understand, Mr. Spock. The glory of creation is in its infinite diversity.
      Mr. Spock: And the ways our differences combine, to create meaning and beauty.

-Star Trek: Is There in Truth No Beauty? (1968)
    • Options
      saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
      edited December 2016
      How about creating a canon landmark while also making permanently available an already existing map?

I'm talking about permanently opening Utopia Planitia Shipyards to players while adding a beaming option to an extended Carl Sagan Memorial Station.
      #TASforSTO
      Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
    • Options
      captkelly31#5645 captkelly31 Member Posts: 392 Arc User
      Ah, so, this is Olivia's post that got deleted on the other thread about John Glenn's passing. Multiple troll threads that got closed, use of a recently-passed-away astronaut to further a nutcase that got rightfully moderated, and now going around a moderator.

Hopefully, it'll finally be enough to permanently spare us the conspiracy stupidities.

Aye.
    • Options
      captkelly31#5645 captkelly31 Member Posts: 392 Arc User
      How about a John Glenn hall in K-13?
    • Options
      jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
      Merged two similar discussions & moved to more appropriate Forum category.
      [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
      "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
      "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
      "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
      jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
      meimeitoo wrote: »
      I appreciate the importance of John Glenn as an astronaut, but - puts on flame-retardant suit - I'm not a 100% sure I'm in favor of a memorial for him in STO.

I mean, shouldn't we reserve a spot in STO to those who actually have a connection to Trek?! A tribute to Anton Yelchin?! Great! But if John Glenn gets one, should we then include the Wright brothers too? Or Amelia Earhart? Just sayin'.

Suit on, zipped up, seals...uh, sealed.

Yeah, I think it's a possibility, because Starfleet would be memorializing those who came before. The only issue I see (in terms of perceived bias) is that we haven't any notion at all of Klingons, Romulans, Andorians, or what-have-you that could be named equivalently. But it is just a game, and Gene Roddenberry was aware of whose shoulders he was standing on. We're already memorializing actors from a TV show, so what the heck.

That being said, I can only find the following ship and shuttle names as tributes to astronauts (and one near-astronaut):
      • USS Grissom
      • USS Yeager
      • Onizuka
      • Tereshkova
      • McAuliffe
      • Armstrong

I might have missed some since the only names I have committed to memory are the Mercury through Apollo astronauts. I didn't include Goddard, Tsiolkovsky, and Von Braun because they weren't astronauts, but they definitely had a place in getting Starfleet out into the stars, so I wouldn't claim they aren't legit for a memorial.

Deep Space Nine seems to me to be as good a place as any to memorialize the astro- and cosmonauts, although Wolf-359 could be that place, too.
      boldly-watched.png