test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

For Star Trek Discovery, WE HAVE A CAPTAIN. Well not the captain of Discovery.

talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
edited November 2016 in Ten Forward
And who is it? Michelle Yeoh. She will be Captain Han Bo, not the Skipper of the Discovery, but she'll be a recurring or important character as the Captain of USS Shenzhou.

If you don't know this woman, think Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

I think she's an awesome addition to the Star Trek universe. I'm actually getting a bit excited for this new show.

Link to the Story: http://trekmovie.com/2016/11/23/breaking-michelle-yeoh-reportedly-cast-as-captain-han-bo-of-the-u-s-s-shenzhou/
afMSv4g.jpg
Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1

Comments

• Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Wrong forum & it has not been confirmed by CBS.

And I've already been keeping the forums updated on Discovery news here...

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1212760/da-big-new-trek-tv-show-thread

And posted about the new actor yesterday here...

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1225288/first-actor-unofficially-announced-for-discovery

B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    I love her as an actress, but think she's too big for an ensemble cast, in the same way as Scott Bakula was too big for Enterprise, and Robert Carlyle was too big for Stargate Universe... The majority of Trek series actors have for the most part, been relative unknowns until Trek Made them big, with a bigger name sometimes attached to a film... I don't like the way this series is panning out whatsoever... :-\
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Shatner, Nimoy, and Kelly were fairly well known for their westerns before Trek
  • Options
    'Fairly', absolutely, but I would doubt they were as well known as, say, Michelle Yeoh ;)
  • Options
    thehnthehn Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    Her casting does/would aid in bringing in interest of a large portion of the international market.
    She is wildly well known accross the globe.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    'Fairly', absolutely, but I would doubt they were as well known as, say, Michelle Yeoh ;)

Yeah, but Michelle Yeoh, playing a skipper would be nice to see. I can see her bringing a forceful calm to the role. And we've had plenty of famous people guest star on Star Trek Episodes before. Not like she's going to a firm every episode star.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    thehn wrote: »
    Her casting does/would aid in bringing in interest of a large portion of the international market.
    talonxv wrote: »

Yeah, but Michelle Yeoh, playing a skipper would be nice to see. I can see her bringing a forceful calm to the role. And we've had plenty of famous people guest star on Star Trek Episodes before. Not like she's going to a firm every episode star.

Maybe, maybe not, time will tell... Personally, I think they're lining themselves up solidly for another Enterprise... Throw in the debarcle of the unpopularity of the streaming idea, and I get the feeling this is going to flop in multiple ways... :-\
  • Options
    thehnthehn Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    thehn wrote: »

Maybe, maybe not, time will tell... Personally, I think they're lining themselves up solidly for another Enterprise... Throw in the debarcle of the unpopularity of the streaming idea, and I get the feeling this is going to flop in multiple ways... :-\

Personally, I expect it to be DOA entirely because of the streaming thing.
    2 new shows and not even their complete back catalog is all you get with their base package.
    That is frankly a joke or an insult, maybe both,

This brings me no joy because I would love to see Trek successfully brought back to television.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User

Or maybe they'll make her play a hammy, egoistical, insane, jealous, cowardly captain to throw everyone off. :P

One thing I can dream of, is bringing having Kate Mulgrew brought back to play Queen Arachnia in a Chaotica special episode (since apparently, the Adventures of Captain Proton existed during the ENT era).
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    Michelle Yeoh? That's pretty big.

I disagree with the sentiment of too big for Star Trek. Everybody does Star Trek. If not for scheduling conflicts with Hook, we'd have Robin freakin Williams as an alumnus.

Whoopi Goldberg, Ashley Judd, James Cromwell, heck Levar Burton- Star Trek is a show that a lot of talent has passed through over the decades.

It's a legitimate cultural phenomenon, an icon. There are plenty of actors more than happy to come aboard.

I love Michelle Yeoh and she has all the gravitas and elegance to basically be a female Picard. I'd love to see her. It'll be interesting to see her in the TOS uniform, or what variant they'll be using.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    Moved to more appropriate forum.
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    The Variety article says, She apparently is going to be an important reoccurring character, but not on the USS Discovery.
    She is going to be the Captain of another ship heavily involved in the ongoing story line.
    B)
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    Lots of threads going about her on the forums. I guess she's that awesome.
  • Options
    hawku001x wrote: »
    Lots of threads going about her on the forums. I guess she's that awesome.

If you call THREE a lot, Then yeah.
    B)