test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Big Klingon Ships...your recommendations

goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
Anyone have any recommendations for a big Klingon boat? I've been eyeing a few lately. It's the only kind of Klingon ship I don't have yet. Guess I better get with the program. Thanks in advance for your recommendations and observations regarding the big ships.
klingon-bridge.jpg

Comments

• Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    Vo'quv is still up there in size, I think the base model is about the same length as the Jupiter (Fed's longest ship AFAIK) but you can get it longer by kit bashing in parts of the VoD'leh. If you've not played slow Sci-heavy Carriers before, I'd recommend plunking down a few million EC for the mirror version to give it a whirl. Definitely grab the Bird of Prey Hangars. Unfortunately, there's no T6 version, and you have to buy the Fleet version and Upgrade it if you want T5-U as neither Mirror or Dil ships are upgradeable.

The T6 Bortasqu' have decently bulky models, but can take the even bulkier and larger look of the T5. The T6 version is merely a bit slow, instead of the glacier turnrate of the T5. If you want Fed-style cruiser play, these will do it. Not the whippy turnrate of a regular Battle Cruiser that usually have 9+, whereas this is 6.5 deg/sec. I'd recommend the three pack for consoles (Tac and Eng version consoles are kinda OP) and then fly the Sci version for Sensor Analysis and Plasma explosion goodness, though the Tac version (both T6 and the T5) has the distinction of being the only C-Store Cruiser or Battle Cruiser with 5 Tac consoles.
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    T6 bortasqu's all the way, since the 3 pack gives you a few models to mix apearance and the boff and console layout is also quite variable among the 3 versions.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    @baudl

I've been eyeing the T6 for a while but as an owner maybe you could answer a costuming question. I really appreciated the more baroque styling of the T5; Is that costume an option on the T6?
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    @baudl

I've been eyeing the T6 for a while but as an owner maybe you could answer a costuming question. I really appreciated the more baroque styling of the T5; Is that costume an option on the T6?

it should. I owned the free one on 3 characters back then...but deleted them shortly after T6 ships came out. I never bought the orginal T5 pack.
    My delta recruit, who never had access to the orginal T5 (the free one and the 3 ship pack) can choose the orginal bortasqu' skin and model and even bridge. So my conclusion is, yes.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    Personally on this. I can't see the Klingon's building anything big and bulky. This is going by the change from the old promotion ships to T5 and T6. The ships just get bigger and bigger. It just doesn't fit with the Klingon mentality. Big and bulky means excessive and wasteful space. So the bigger ship designs, just don't fit with the utilitarian mentality of a Klingon.

Now I can see the Orion's, Gorn, Nausicaan's and Ferasan's building something big and bulky. Just not the Klingon's.

This is just me though. I can't bring myself to buy any of those big, gaudy ships.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    I saw them as the anchor in a Klingon armada. A formation of Bortasqu' as the line/anvil that would implacably advance and melt the enemy. With the remainder/ majority of ships being BoPs and lighter cruisers that could weave through the more ponderous vessels, act as flying squads and harass like eels coming out of a coral shoal. It's not as glamorous a role and not what I'd like to see most of my captains doing but in my head a scenario like the battle of DS9 goes very differently; Nothing could have overcome the Defiant's plot armour though :P.

I like a ship that big as gaudy. It says, "I'm coming to destroy you and it will be glorious". Subterfuge has a purpose in battle like the story of Krim illustrates but the Bortasqu' is more the warrior who strides into the hall, declares his lineage, why his enemy must die, then does in front of all before him. I think we disagree on the nature of Klingon design. There is a place for utilitarianism and for the grandiose. Monuments made to Klingon heroes are larger than life. Klingon government buildings are Cyclopean edifices. Large ships are a component of Klingon warfare and have a role to play. There are counters to small ship doctrine and not just vessels but doctrine itself needs to be fluid to bring victory.

The large ships designed by Cryptic ape Federation designs and suffer penalties to balance them against their blue analogs. The implementation does nothing to make them particularly enjoyable or characteristic of Klingons.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• Options
    Anyone have any experience with the T6 Fleet Negh'tev? The Qu'daj variant looks really cool!
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    trennan wrote: »
    Personally on this. I can't see the Klingon's building anything big and bulky. This is going by the change from the old promotion ships to T5 and T6. The ships just get bigger and bigger. It just doesn't fit with the Klingon mentality. Big and bulky means excessive and wasteful space. So the bigger ship designs, just don't fit with the utilitarian mentality of a Klingon.
    STO's Klingons seem to parallel the Klingons from Starfleet Battles/Starfleet Command. In those "universes", the Klingons built the biggest battleships, and had more of them than their counterparts.

Myself, I prefer to see the Bortas'que line as command ships who are the tip of the spear for an invasion. Thousands of warriors with hundreds of transporters, capable of establishing and holding a planetary beachhead, while supported from orbit by a huge command-and-control vessel. The size of the ship lends for multiple redundant systems, making it difficult to destroy or even disable without a sizable investment of opposing ships.

I have run my Bortas'que ship as a B:FAW vessel. I personally think beams and torpedoes make more sense for planetary bombardment than cannons. Admittedly, Klingons in STO don't invade anyone, but if that changes, my ship and crew are ready to crush the enemies of the Empire.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    redvenge wrote: »
    STO's Klingons seem to parallel the Klingons from Starfleet Battles/Starfleet Command. In those "universes", the Klingons built the biggest battleships, and had more of them than their counterparts.

Myself, I prefer to see the Bortas'que line as command ships who are the tip of the spear for an invasion. Thousands of warriors with hundreds of transporters, capable of establishing and holding a planetary beachhead, while supported from orbit by a huge command-and-control vessel. The size of the ship lends for multiple redundant systems, making it difficult to destroy or even disable without a sizable investment of opposing ships.

I have run my Bortas'que ship as a B:FAW vessel. I personally think beams and torpedoes make more sense for planetary bombardment than cannons. Admittedly, Klingons in STO don't invade anyone, but if that changes, my ship and crew are ready to crush the enemies of the Empire.

Q'apla! Sounds like a party barge!

My character needs a flagship type vessel for his house. I was fortunate to get the T6 D7 Temporal Battlecruiser to drop from the R&D packs, but the configuration doesn't lend itself to a flagship size vessel. The specs do, just not the footprint.
    Post edited by goodscotch on
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    goodscotch wrote: »
    Q'apla! Sounds like a party barge!

My character needs a flagship type vessel for his house. I was fortunate to get the T6 D7 Temporal Battlecruiser to drop from the R&D packs, but the configuration doesn't lend itself to a flagship size vessel. The specs do, just not the footprint.
    I have always liked the looks of the Bortas. It just seemed designed for long range engagement, instead of the closer combat style of the more nimble Battlcruisers. I think it should have been designated a "Dreadnought".

In any case, I believe the T5 appearance is standard with the T6. You could just pick the one T6 you like, and give it the T5 appearance. The flagship consoles have a set bonus with the Krenim Science Vessel, so if you have the anniversary ship, you can get the 2 piece set bonus. The 2 piece set bonus increases the ship's base turn rate to 9.5 (and increases your CrtH by 2%), allowing you the flexibility to equip either beams or cannons.

As mentioned by @tom61sto , the clicky powers on the Tactical and Engineering variants are particularly satisfying.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    T6 Negh'Var. Very maneuverable, unlike the T5/T6 Bortasqu'. It also looks quite nice ever since the patch gave her some extra parts. She's also a canon ship.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited October 2016

Well for Klingons a planetary bombardment means dropping klingons on the planet. Hence why all their ships are designed to land. Only a fool destroys the resources of a planet in this manner. Remember, lifeforms are resources. Waste not, want not.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    Well for Klingons a planetary bombardment means dropping klingons on the planet. Hence why all their ships are designed to land. Only a fool destroys the resources of a planet in this manner. Remember, lifeforms are resources. Waste not, want not.
    I don't think all Klingon ships are designed to land. Transporters make landing craft somewhat redundant, as we've seen in DS9.

Planetary assaults are not something we see on screen. We have seen some really nasty planetary defenses on screen. The sheer size of a planet gives lots of room for lots of defenses as well. I think you would want particularly robust ships, like the Bortas, which could land hundreds of warriors in a few moments. Orbital bombardment does not necessarily mean destruction of all life. Destroying military infrastructure would be important to an invasion on a planetary scale.

Admittedly, Trek tech changes depending on who is writing the episode, but this line of thinking makes sense to me.
  • Options
    Anyone have any experience with the T6 Fleet Negh'tev? The Qu'daj variant looks really cool!

It's decent, though nothing epic. You'll want Tac ability cooldowns (easy to get nowadays) since it only has 1x Lt. Comm Tac. If you wish use Lt. Comm Eng/Command as mostly or entirely Command abilities, I recommend the 'Highly Specialized' Starship Trait (found on the Exchange, make sure to get the "(Klingon)" version) to drop the cooldowns of Command abilities and a small bit of stacking Skill in different areas. I run that Trait on my Galaxy with Command seat filled up with Overwhelm Emitters I, Rally Point Marker I, and Suppression Barrage being fairly spamable with that trait, leading to enemy ships that shoot and move far less effectively, meanwhile I can bask in an AoE hull heal with my shields replenished by shooting the selected enemy. The Negh'Tev isn't as much an unkillable rock like ithe T6 Galaxy, or to the lesser extent the T6 D'Deridex, the other two ships in the 'Iconic' pack, but gets to move a whole lot faster with a turnrate of 9 deg/sec instead.

Vo'quv is actually a planetary siege platform, according to some really old lore found on a very early rendition of the STO website at least. You deploy BoPs to go down raiding planets that haven't yet submitted to the Empire while the Vo'quv supports them up in orbit.

• Options
    patrickngo, I think you missed the release of the T6 Borts, Cryptic buffed them to something at least half-decent. Still not viable as a DHC boat without a lot turnrate buffs, but most of your other points are now moot. Full 1.1 shield mod, hull thicker than the Oddy, standard (instead of deliberately sub-par) cloak. The T6 skins are more Klingon looking, though less bulky looking than the T5's skin.
  • Options
    gaalomgaalom Member Posts: 530 Arc User
    The t6 Negh'var is a well put together ship, and can move very well. It just did not seem to fit me personally, nothing was wrong with the ship. Its as solid as they come. The t6 Bortasqu is much like the t5, though it has a higher hull. and the normal bells and whistles.

What settled me on the t6 Bortasqu was it is command specialization, perfect for a flagship role, and it does provide multiple options, if you are a tac officer. Specificity speaking of the Martok variant. This being said I did not follow the common rules on what to do and what not to do when it comes to outfitting your weapons. I think this is why this ship sells so well above all else, it is a difficult ship to use. Especially if you do not use all beams popular belief. I hope this helps op.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    I purchased a Bort awhiles back. It is a Starfleet Oddy with a Klingon skin. Turns like a supertanker and has all of the Oddy's weaknesses combined with the weaknesses of Klingon ships as well. Spent a month trying to get it to somewhere above slightly awful and spent a ton of Real Currency as well. No joy. Only purchase in this game which I have regrets about.

When the Mogh came out, I liked it immediately. The Fleet version is my cruiser of choice for my KDF chars. The T6 Kurak is a very good ship as well. I have not tried any of the Command Cruisers or the T6 Negh' var. But it appears the Devs learned their lesson. I've not seen anything where someone was complaining about any of these in public.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    I purchased a Bort awhiles back. It is a Starfleet Oddy with a Klingon skin. Turns like a supertanker and has all of the Oddy's weaknesses combined with the weaknesses of Klingon ships as well. Spent a month trying to get it to somewhere above slightly awful and spent a ton of Real Currency as well. No joy. Only purchase in this game which I have regrets about.

When the Mogh came out, I liked it immediately. The Fleet version is my cruiser of choice for my KDF chars. The T6 Kurak is a very good ship as well. I have not tried any of the Command Cruisers or the T6 Negh' var. But it appears the Devs learned their lesson. I've not seen anything where someone was complaining about any of these in public.

Well I was hesitant to mention this on the forums, because I certain someone can blow holes threw this idea, but oh well here goes my lay out. My forward weapons will be full single cannons, they have higher damage then the omni directional beams, and a wide enough arc so you do not get into trouble. I am also running two weapon sets, omega in the aft, and dyson in the front. My main components are going to be honor guard. The aft section will have three omni direction beams all antiproton, except for the kinetic cutting beam. The fore cannons will be antiproton except for the proton cannon. Tact is using the weapon set consoles plus directed energy consoles. I would have got antiproton but I use the big disruptor auto cannon. Really what settled me on the antiproton was most of my omni directional beams are antiproton energy based. So far I am missing only three pieces from this entire set up. I have no idea if it will be top notch or not, as when I do things all I care about is the team effort, but I know it will shoot and act like a klingon warship.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    Okay. The last piece of advice I can give is this: If you really like the ship and you are having fun using it - Go For It. This game is supposed to be fun to play. If the Bort looks fun, get it.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User

Did I hear someone ask about the T6 Fleet Negh'tev? *ears perk up*

You've come to the right place, my friend. My tact main, and his brother(also tact) fly the T6 Fleet Negh'tev, WITH the Qu'Daj variant. One is tetryon, the other is currently AP. Both are cannon ships, with turn rate consoles, aux2bat, EP2E, and other shenanigans. The reason I chose tetryon for the main, besides his favorite color being blue, is because the sticky web can be fired from stealth, offers a Cat 1 tetryon boost for a universal console, and because of all the tetryon set bonus/reputation burst actives. If I go with 3 DBBs(Nukara hyper and 2 Resonating tetryon DBBs), I run BOL 3/BOL 2.

Another 400 lobi, and the cannon build will have the last two pieces of the Apex Predator set, to really and truly bring the Yamato Cannon online.

Patrickngo has it right, regarding the Bloatesqu' whale. I ran the T5 for 2 years, ran the tact T6 version for all of...4-5 months...The only thing I really miss/love, is the bridge, firing the autocannon, and deploying the HoS'uS Bird of Prey. But I saw the T6 Negh'tev, and the fleet version after that, and something tugged at my heart. My first true love was the Qu'Daj variant Negh'var(including the MU version), years ago. Back then, the Fist of Winter was a fine ship. So I made the choice to drop the 3k zen, and 20 million EC for a pair of fleet modules, and reunited with what just felt right to me.

Here is the flagship and pride of the Tirikov Ascendancy, the Avalanche. :smile:

screenshot_2016-09-26-18-22-03_zpsj4w4kibj.jpg
  • Options
    patrickngo wrote: »
    gaalom wrote: »

Well I was hesitant to mention this on the forums, because I certain someone can blow holes threw this idea, but oh well here goes my lay out. My forward weapons will be full single cannons, they have higher damage then the omni directional beams, and a wide enough arc so you do not get into trouble. I am also running two weapon sets, omega in the aft, and dyson in the front. My main components are going to be honor guard. The aft section will have three omni direction beams all antiproton, except for the kinetic cutting beam. The fore cannons will be antiproton except for the proton cannon. Tact is using the weapon set consoles plus directed energy consoles. I would have got antiproton but I use the big disruptor auto cannon. Really what settled me on the antiproton was most of my omni directional beams are antiproton energy based. So far I am missing only three pieces from this entire set up. I have no idea if it will be top notch or not, as when I do things all I care about is the team effort, but I know it will shoot and act like a klingon warship.

that sounds a LOT like an Excelsior build from 2011-2012 that was doing fairly well in Ker'rat and STF runs. I can't remember who was doing it (was it Roach? not sure I recall correctly...) but basically, you're describing a Fed Cruiser/Cannon build that was fairly successful for a while sometime back, before they gave the Feds their very-first-Battlecruiser-of-their-own (the Avenger).

notably, you CAN mount singles on a Fed Cruiser, along with turrets, so again, the Bloataskew is a Fed ship in FAaabulous Klingon Parody-drag.

but your build has precedent as being relatively viable-just...you'll actually do better with omni beams and Beam arrays (270 degree arc of fire instead of 180) just based on the "Gets to shoot at the enemy without needing every turn console you can buy" angle.

I was unaware of this, my biggest thing was having this ship fight like a klingon ship. The other item that led me to this set up was the buffs. The dyson set buffs beam fire at will and cannon rapid fire. The omega set amplifies weapon systems, and the Martok variant gives you charged weapons buff. Essentially I will have three things buffing my weapons at any given time. It is interesting someone did run this on a Excelsior. I love that ship but it just did not make much sense for the sto era.

As one poster already said go with what you enjoy. The Negh'var as others have pointed out is a fine ship.
  • Options
    staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    The Bort was never unusable... I used to run the Sci one for PVP with an Engineer back in 2012-3. Not even a FAW boat at first, it used an alpha of the autocannon, DBB with BAO3 (one of the few cruisers that could do that) and a hargh'peng torpedo of all things. Got quite a few kills, too - Engineer power abilities used to count for something. Certainly had better performance than I ever got from a Negh'var.

As things stand now, the Martok is a FAW boat par excellance - I'll leave the discussion whether it is properly Klingon or not to one side for now - as it's the only ship with 8 weapons, cruiser commands and 5 tac consoles.

• Options
    Not to go off topic, but staq16 you seem to have allot of experience with the Botasqu', and I have a few questions. One of them being, is it just me, or do the command abilities of a bridge officer do not even come close to being as good as regular tact abilities? The other is what would you recommend on engineering for a tact officer, tactical bortasqu, with one commander engineering slot.
  • Options
    icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    I don't see a point to the larger ships in this game with the 8 weapon cap. all your getting is a huge skin and sub par mobility. maybe a few console slots but when you cant get your weapons on target half the time those console advantages slip away.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2016

I wouldn't blow up things at random. I'd target military stuff.

Not sure how well this would work for a Bortas, but a while back I threw together a CSV Scimitar that used single cannons. It has impressive firepower, despite use of random SCs and turrets that I found in rep boxes.

As for whether it's "the Klingon thing to do"... The CSV Scimi is flown by a Reman, and my Bortas(both of which use FaW spam builds) are flown by either an Orion or a Gorn. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    I am not so sure in pvp it is best that a Klingon ship attack from below or above when coming out of cloak, if someone is doing that with a Bortasqu they will have the advantage of position long enough to bring all weapons to bare. Not to mention a long time ago a Fed player posted a video proving that the Dreadnought Fed side could kill allot of ships in pvp, this was before that ship got buffed. My point is its been heard of someone taking a over sized ship into pvp and doing rather well. As for the mogh I just looked that up, for a such a low hull it has bad turn rate. For that much of a hull upgraded it should be turning at in the area of 12 to 14 not 9. In my opinion that is quite a handicap for a ship like that.