Install Arc
Options

Ideas for incentivizing KDF play

123457»

Comments

• Options
    phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    Lots of great ideas being thrown around folks. Keep it up!

Btw, the recent Tribbles In Ecstasy podcast had interviews with both Taco and Joe Jing. They both expressed interest in expanding and fixing the Klingon faction, especially Joe Jing, who professed to being a big Klingon fan. They're just "lowly" artists though, but they say that it's something that is discussed around the office between the developers, but no consensus on how to go about it has been reached and nothing has been scheduled. But for what it's worth, Joe did say that if enough players show interest in things on the forums, the Developers do pay attention. (note: I'm wildly paraphrasing all of that, but it was encouraging to hear some Developers talk about the KDF in a positive manner) s/startrekonline#/discussion/1222909/podcast-interview-tribbles-in-ecstasy-take-237-an-artists-perspective[/url]

Honestly, I can see them running a KDF recruiting event similar to Delta Recruits/AoY as it seems relatively straightforward for them to do it. What kind of ships/items could they create to monetize it would be the big question.

As desperate as the KDF is for more ships, I think they'd be better served releasing new consoles within a KDF recruitment event. That way players could use them on whatever ship they want - Fed, Rom or KDF, and that would be a huge incentive.
  • Options
    chronoss2012chronoss2012 Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    all i have ot say is im loving the process and upgrading of my y5 neg bird a prey.....it melts shields of anything in the pve missions and as i get quality of gear and to mk XIV it just gets better...

IF you want to say speed and quick hits and strikes its great , and i've used many ships on the fed side....

O will also say we are starting form some reason see a resurgence in our bg kdf fleet and its armada....perhaps as numbers grow.... and weve almost doubled our fed side and added maybe 25% to our kdf sde....

i'd love to get 10 cloaked birds a prey in a battle vs non clocked feds and see how it works with NO AUTO attack allowed as n you need to activate powers....i've a feeling most feds would get wiped
  • Options
    sativasavantsativasavant Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    I would say the biggest incentive for playing Klingon side is learning the game. I started as FED but had to make a Klingon character after finding more out about the game, the KDF already has some serious advantages like the ability to harvest contraband through DOF missions and being able to trade in prisoners for a stack of dilithium. Before T6 KDF also had a clear advantage in some ships, like the Karfi carrier of which a fleet T5U version still a bit better than than the lame 6 weapon slot T6 carrier the FED side got.

I got a Kelvin ship from cstore and it unlocked for both sides which I see as a great improvement compared to when I got a Dyson ship but it only unlocked for the KDF side I got it for even though the ships for both sides are literally the same thing.
  • Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited October 2016

Btw, the recent Tribbles In Ecstasy podcast had interviews with both Taco and Joe Jing. They both expressed interest in expanding and fixing the Klingon faction, especially Joe Jing, who professed to being a big Klingon fan. They're just "lowly" artists though, but they say that it's something that is discussed around the office between the developers, but no consensus on how to go about it has been reached and nothing has been scheduled. But for what it's worth, Joe did say that if enough players show interest in things on the forums, the Developers do pay attention. (note: I'm wildly paraphrasing all of that, but it was encouraging to hear some Developers talk about the KDF in a positive manner) s/startrekonline#/discussion/1222909/podcast-interview-tribbles-in-ecstasy-take-237-an-artists-perspective[/url]

Honestly, I can see them running a KDF recruiting event similar to Delta Recruits/AoY as it seems relatively straightforward for them to do it. What kind of ships/items could they create to monetize it would be the big question.

While AoY and Delta served to gain new players, and to have the older players revisit the old content. Once the rewards are gotten. Then the characters are either parked in to doffdom or deleted. So this is more of just an incentive to play in general.

What I would like to see with something like a Recruiting Event would be more for all three factions. But instead of making it account unlocks. Make it faction specific unlocks, with rewards that are unique to each faction, that neither of the other factions would get. Granted this would also have account unlocks, like Delta/AoY and receiving account wide Mark Packs, Dil, and such. But each faction would also get Faction Unique unlocks.

And as this idea just jumped in to my head. Any ideas as to what could be used as Faction Specific unlocks would be nice.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    trennan wrote: »

While AoY and Delta served to gain new players, and to have the older players revisit the old content. Once the rewards are gotten. Then the characters are either parked in to doffdom or deleted. So this is more of just an incentive to play in general.

What I would like to see with something like a Recruiting Event would be more for all three factions. But instead of making it account unlocks. Make it faction specific unlocks, with rewards that are unique to each faction, that neither of the other factions would get. Granted this would also have account unlocks, like Delta/AoY and receiving account wide Mark Packs, Dil, and such. But each faction would also get Faction Unique unlocks.

And as this idea just jumped in to my head. Any ideas as to what could be used as Faction Specific unlocks would be nice.

That's a really great idea!
  • Options
    pizzy84pizzy84 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    Outside of slapping Borg or other ships people are desperate for on the C-Store KDF only side i have no idea. (joke before i get hit with anyones rage, although the rage off Feds would be quite humerous for an hour or so lol).

I actually enjoy the KDF storys/look everything much more than Fed, but i am also a huge fed fan, and play that a lot, i went kdf first years ago when i saw first hand how bad feds got whipped at ker'rat, damn i miss those days.

Perhaps one way would be to let KDFs switch their career or something (with Zen of course) like a skill reset, but for career.

At this point, i fear everything will cause rage. Heck, console players cant even get something without people raging about PC being left behind.
  • Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    pizzy84 wrote: »
    Outside of slapping Borg or other ships people are desperate for on the C-Store KDF only side i have no idea. (joke before i get hit with anyones rage, although the rage off Feds would be quite humerous for an hour or so lol).

I actually enjoy the KDF storys/look everything much more than Fed, but i am also a huge fed fan, and play that a lot, i went kdf first years ago when i saw first hand how bad feds got whipped at ker'rat, damn i miss those days.

Perhaps one way would be to let KDFs switch their career or something (with Zen of course) like a skill reset, but for career.

At this point, i fear everything will cause rage. Heck, console players cant even get something without people raging about PC being left behind.

Most of what the console players are getting has already come and gone on PC. The ragers are the ones that see it, wasn't around for it, and rage about not having it. If they're in order, they're getting the Cardassian lockbox. Next is either Xindi or Temporal.. I can't remember which.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    pizzy84pizzy84 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    trennan wrote: »
    pizzy84 wrote: »

Most of what the console players are getting has already come and gone on PC. The ragers are the ones that see it, wasn't around for it, and rage about not having it.

Of that i have no doubt, seems to be the way of the world sadly.
  • Options
    brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    A series of science ships with a Klingon theme would help jumpstart new interest in the KDF. (Obsolete Raptor models retrofitted as spy ships is my second favorite idea. My favorite is Sci/BoPs.) T2 through 5 freebies would place sci- oriented Klingons on an equal footing with Klingon Engineers and Tactical captains.

For staying power there would have to be something which helps maintain interest in the faction. Some suggest various forms of PvP and I support that if it takes into account the vast difference in power between a Level 60 captain and one who has been level 60 since Season 8.

I would like to also propose the ability to allow items which are faction restricted to be traded between players in the barter window, allowing Klingon players, as an example, to repatriate Prisoner DOffs, which the Fed player may then use. (Such cross-faction trade should be face to face bartering, and result in Character Bound items.)

Faction-specific 'freebie' ships and common quality Admiralty Ships can also be tradeable only as barter items, and result in character bound items. Freebie ships refers to those which can be purchased with a levelup token.