test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

need help to understand the lock box ships

I do understand how the lock boxes work and i do understand how it is a good way to make money so that is not what i mean.

What i mean is i need help to understand how they decide which ships to put in the boxes instead of selling in the store. i havent played the game that long but someone in my fleet told me that when they first started doing the lock boxes they said they were for ships that were supposed to be rare and didnt make sense to have a lot of them. cardassian ships, dominion ships, breen ships. all of those are "alien" ships(not one of the playable factions) and so it makes sense to have them be rare in game.

but the part about that logic that i dont understand is the new tos/temporal connie. if that was the only tos/temporal ship at end game i could understand the argument that it is supposed to be rare. but when you have other end game TOS/temporal ships like the ranger that are sold in the normal store, how can you argue that tos/temporal ships are supposed to be rare?

this is why i am confused. can anyone help me understand how the TOS/temporal connie is supposed to be rare, but the TOS/temporal ranger is not?

Comments

• Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    The connie's not a regular lockbox ship. It's an event ship, like the bug, neither of which come from a lockbox that drops in the game. As for lockbox vs c-store, usually faction ships are in the store, with cross faction ships in lockboxes. (The Kelvin ships and Wells are sorta exceptions.)
  • Options
    mas134gluck123mas134gluck123 Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    cause they are from other time, not part of regulars

and TOS t6 is from future build on past design, while Wells are wrecks which been scavneged by lobi consotrium and put in sale missing quite a lot of "future" gear, while Kelvin ships are from other universe.

So neither of that ships isn't from 25th century so it can't be considerated by regular part of Starfleet, so i guess that could be reason why its like that and they are put in lockboxes and in case of t6 connie in promo event r&d pack.
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    From what I gather, the original lockbox ships were ships that CBS didn't want everyone flying instead of "Fed/KDF Designs" and a lockbox was a way to limit the ships and still bring Cryptic a profit.

For years, the company line on the Endgame Connie was a flat out "CBS Said No."

I suspect that the Box Drop Connie is the compromise CBS/Cryptic came to to allow an endgame Connie, but still limit the amount out there. The other faction ships were casualties of this maneuver, as Cryptic knew if there weren't non-Fed ships to be had, there would be an outcry. So, they got tossed in the Luck Boxes too.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    mrtrexy#6456 mrtrexy Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    no no thats not what im talking about. i understand the difference between events and stuff. i understand lock boxes make a lot of money. im not asking about the real life reasons im asking about the in game story reasons. why is one tos/temporal ship supposed to be rare but not another?
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,513 Arc User
    Because (aside from the T6 Prime Connie) they are not normal members of the Fed, KDF, Romulan fleets.

Tholian Tarantula, Vaadwaur Manasa, Herald Quas -- NOT STARFLEET SHIPS.

Mirror Universe, Kelvin Timeline -- NOT STARFLEET.

The in-game story is they were captured and salvaged.
  • Options
    Because (aside from the T6 Prime Connie) they are not normal members of the Fed, KDF, Romulan fleets.

i am sorry but this is not what i am asking about. i am asking about why is one tos/temporal ship supposed to be rare, but another tos/temporal ship not supposed to be rare?

the connie is a tos/temporal ship and is supposed to be rare, but the ranger/paladin is a tos/temporal ship and is not rare and can be bought in store.

what is the in game story explanation for why one tos/temporal ship is rare but the other is not?
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    this is why i am confused. can anyone help me understand how the TOS/temporal connie is supposed to be rare, but the TOS/temporal ranger is not?

Because CBS says so. Just like it used to not exist at all because CBS said so.
  • Options
    what is the in game story explanation for why one tos/temporal ship is rare but the other is not?

CBS is Q.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User

i am sorry but this is not what i am asking about. i am asking about why is one tos/temporal ship supposed to be rare, but another tos/temporal ship not supposed to be rare?

the connie is a tos/temporal ship and is supposed to be rare, but the ranger/paladin is a tos/temporal ship and is not rare and can be bought in store.

Feel free to make your own in game reason as Cryptic hasn't worked any of that into the STO lore. Simply put, if you see a T6 23c (TOS) Connie in space, it means someone has traveled back in time from the 26th century to 2410 as that's where these ships (in game lore) originate from.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    warpangel wrote: »

Because CBS says so. Just like it used to not exist at all because CBS said so.

i was asking about the in game story, not the out of game real life reasons. what in game story reasons say why one tos/temporal ship is rare but another is not?

and does anyone have link to where CBS said tos connie had to be in lock box, or where a dev said it?
  • Options
    Feel free to make your own in game reason as Cryptic hasn't worked any of that into the STO lore. Simply put, if you see a T6 23c (TOS) Connie in space, it means someone has traveled back in time from the 26th century to 2410 as that's where these ships (in game lore) originate from.

i thought these were "temporal" ships from the future that just look like old ships, not actually old ships from the past?
  • Options
    and does anyone have link to where CBS said tos connie had to be in lock box, or where a dev said it?

Dev posts on CBS not allowing T5 / T6 Connie (until now) have appeared in the eleventy other T6 Connie threads, which this is apparently also just cloaked.

Cryptic has not posted their revised license terms or new legal agreements with CBS and Paramount.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited September 2016

i thought these were "temporal" ships from the future that just look like old ships, not actually old ships from the past?

Yes, these ships come from the 26th century. STO takes place in the 25th century - which is what I said. if you're going to ask for replies, please READ them.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    umformtechnik#9538 umformtechnik Member Posts: 88 Arc User

Dev posts on CBS not allowing T5 / T6 Connie (until now) have appeared in the eleventy other T6 Connie threads, which this is apparently also just cloaked.

That is not what was asked. He/she/OP asked for a quote saying the connie had to be in a lock box. And there is no such quote. That is only speculation/urban legend.
  • Options

That is not what was asked. He/she/OP asked for a quote saying the connie had to be in a lock box. And there is no such quote. That is only speculation/urban legend.

Yes. which I said above, but you snipped that away for no good reason:

"Cryptic has not posted their revised license terms or new legal agreements with CBS and Paramount."

Anyway, this is apparently just another "why is the T6 connie in a lockbox" thread. We've beaten that horse to death many many times already in many previous threads.
  • Options
    saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Maybe it's just because it (T6 Connie) was so wanted, that thaye decided that it will be Super-Ultra Rare Ship that will make them (Cryptic or/and PWI) more money if it will be released that way?
    Edit:
    And i don't see anything wrong with it - Cryptic or/and PWI are not charity - they must turn profit to continue existing and mantain STO for us - players...
  • Options
    WoW charged $60 for their new season + $15/month, Cryptic/PWE puts connie in a corner with Baby.
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    I would argue that the T6 Connie should be common as any c-store ship.
    But there's been some convincing arguments about why it shouldn't if you find the other T6 Connie thread.

And also maybe a little of what Saber has said has something to do with why its not a c-store ship.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    I doubt the question is really sincere. Sounds a lot more like a complaint cloaked behind a question.

They don't have to have a solid in-game rationale. That hasn't stopped them before. It's a marketing decision, plain and simple.

Repeatedly asking, "but why?" doesn't obligate Cryptic or PWE to provide an answer and they're the only ones who could give it. Which they won't.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • Options
    rickdias5500rickdias5500 Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    Go get 200 USD and buy as many of the key or whatever it is you can . Then open them yourself. All your questions will be answered. It is that simple.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User

There is likely no such direct quote. However, the legal contractual agreement CBS and Cryptic likely contain language using legal terms and run-on sentences with 500 words and excessive use of commas and semi-colons (the norm for legal documents) in each sentence that dictates what is and what is not allowed. There definitely would not be a simple clause stating "The T6 TOS ships must be placed in lock boxes".

No ordinary person will know the real reason unless CBS / Cryptic decides to make the contractual agreement a public document for all to read. That is unlikely to happen. That does not leave you with many alternatives. You can simply accept the situation as is, continue to ask, but never receive an actual answer, or sue them to make private business contractual agreements (which can contain proprietary and trade secret information) public record; which will likely be (but not 100% guaranteed) thrown out of court.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    jaguarskx wrote: »

There is likely no such direct quote. However, the legal contractual agreement CBS and Cryptic likely contain language using legal terms and run-on sentences with 500 words and excessive use of commas and semi-colons (the norm for legal documents) in each sentence that dictates what is and what is not allowed. There definitely would not be a simple clause stating "The T6 TOS ships must be placed in lock boxes".

No ordinary person will know the real reason unless CBS / Cryptic decides to make the contractual agreement a public document for all to read. That is unlikely to happen. That does not leave you with many alternatives. You can simply accept the situation as is, continue to ask, but never receive an actual answer, or sue them to make private business contractual agreements (which can contain proprietary and trade secret information) public record; which will likely be (but not 100% guaranteed) thrown out of court.

You're forgetting the other option. Fabricate a conspiracy theory that Cryptic purposefully manipulated and lied about the T6 Connie for several years despite the fact they've released several versions of the same ship more than a few times already, and that they would have easily made a whole lot of money on the Connie as well.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User

What i mean is i need help to understand how they decide which ships to put in the boxes instead of selling in the store. i havent played the game that long but someone in my fleet told me that when they first started doing the lock boxes they said they were for ships that were supposed to be rare and didnt make sense to have a lot of them. cardassian ships, dominion ships, breen ships. all of those are "alien" ships(not one of the playable factions) and so it makes sense to have them be rare in game.

but the part about that logic that i dont understand is the new tos/temporal connie. if that was the only tos/temporal ship at end game i could understand the argument that it is supposed to be rare. but when you have other end game TOS/temporal ships like the ranger that are sold in the normal store, how can you argue that tos/temporal ships are supposed to be rare?

The T6 Connie was put in a Promo box because it has been requested A LOT and stood to make the biggest bang money wise that way.

Cryptic and PWE has to make money and a TOS connie was indeed a very big draw to compel players to buy more R&D packs even just for a chance to get the ship.

In so far as how it works into STO lore, it really doesn't matter, other than the fact that it's TOS themed, as is AOY and therefore the whole thing could be tied into the 50th anniversary.

One can contrive anything that suits them beyond that, it really isn't that important how it fits into lore, especially if you are the keeper of said lore.

Having said that: GOING FORWARD,

I would expect ANYTHING that's been requested, or even has the slightest chance of being a successful promo ship, to appear in an upcoming promo boxes, Borg ships, ... ANYTHING, regardless of whether it's been shot down in the past, or even makes sense lore-wise or not.

In fact after this latest round of offerings, I'm convinced the chance of a Borg R&D promo is VERY high indeed, as it would make them a TRIBBLE ton of cash too.

The game's gotta make money.

tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Are you looking for a reason other than "money"? Because there isn't one.

Cryptic will ever and always act in their own best interest as they see it. The. End.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Then we need to use reverse logic and everyone needs to say, Cryptic, I really hate such-and-such ship please never release it.

The end-game Constitution talk was a long term game of Go, placing pebbles in spots around the board for years leading up to the 50th. All the opposing pebbles were captured and they won the $$$$$$ game.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    I'm truly skeptical that a business person in the licensing business even understands an MMORPG term like "endgame"
  • Options
    saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    discojer wrote: »
    I'm truly skeptical that a business person in the licensing business even understands an MMORPG term like "endgame"

But there is business type term "endgame" - something about making a deal i think... o:)
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    It would have been in Cryptic's interest to not have an End-Game Constitution. It would've suppressed sales of their other Federation ships. Now that most have been out and bought, bought again at T6, and the 50th was upon us, we get the oodles of money generating Promo Pack delivery of that Constitution.

And as an extra bonus they still have a few ships that still can be T6'd - Nova, Rhode Island, Sovereign, etc. That can cater to the the crowd that loves those ships and would've wanted them in addition or instead of the T6 Constitution.

And as an extra special bonus, they still have some T6 conversions/releases to the purposefully starved KDF/Romulans after having them have iconic T6 releases in that same Promo.

Good steady stream to come and a great fiscal quarter with 'sales' of Kelvin ships and classic TOS ships. Some at PWE/Cryptic are up for a good bonus.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns