test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Disappointed Mac user to be Disappointed Xbox One user?

I was disappointed when PWE quit supporting the Mac, especially since I'd paid for lifetime on the Mac. Now I find that the console and PC version are separate. Don't mind that and understand it but it means it's not a simple fix for my problem.

So since my lifetime became like a year, I wonder if PWE would allow me to use it on the Xbox?

Comments

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,605 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Did you ask them? These are the user forums not customer support.

Did you get your lifetime refund or were you one of the ones who also used the PC version and so were disqualified?

• cadfael71cadfael71 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    I put in a ticket. I was wondering if anybody else was in my shoes is why I posted.

I did not get a refund and I don't have a PC to log in to. Now that I think of it they never responded to that ticket.
  • delliboydelliboy Member Posts: 288 Arc User
    Try again.
    I wish there was a way you could talk to a real human being - even if only in chat.
    garaks31 wrote: »
    on twitter @LaughingTrendy she will help you

Thanks.
    Got my answer and yes I'm disappointed. I love the game but I'm certainly not going to spend any money on it. If they decide they aren't going to support the Xbox anymore in a year from now I'll have wanted my money yet again.
  • edrogenedrogen Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    There are many ways to continue playing STO on MAC.
    Parallels, BootCamp, WineSkin, STO UMV and others.

I still use STO Unofficial Mac Version (STO UMV) as the main way I play STO on both a MacBook Pro and an iMac for years now.
  • misterferengi#8959 misterferengi Member Posts: 486 Arc User

Did you get your lifetime refund or were you one of the ones who also used the PC version and so were disqualified?

Lol "Refund" i'll think you'll find the answer from PWE Support is everyone was a PC user regardless if you did you use one or not.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edrogen wrote: »

I still use STO Unofficial Mac Version (STO UMV) as the main way I play STO on both a MacBook Pro and an iMac for years now.

I recommend you try the different emulators that edrogen included in his (or her) post. It will only cost you time. BootCamp would be the last resort though since you need to purchase Windows and install it on your Mac.

Lol "Refund" i'll think you'll find the answer from PWE Support is everyone was a PC user regardless if you did you use one or not.

Apparently. The whole thing seems a little dishonest to me. I appreciate them saying they wanted to take care of us Mac users but then to not do it...
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    edrogen wrote: »

I recommend you try the different emulators that edrogen included in his (or her) post. It will only cost you time. BootCamp would be the last resort though since you need to purchase Windows and install it on your Mac.

Don't you have to purchase Windows with Parallels as well?
    edited September 2016
    I didn't know that. I am not a Mac user so I thought Parallels was just another emulator. Just try programs that you know are emulators. If they work then great!!! Otherwise you need to decide if spending money on Windows is worth play STO again. Or simply move on to other MMO that are known for providing good support to Mac Users.

I didn't really follow the aftermath of the death of STO Mac. Why didn't Cryptic give you a refund? If I recall properly, any purchases made by Mac users around 6 months prior to the annoucement that support was going to be dropped were eligible for a refund. Was it because Cryptic could not identify which players were Mac users?
    edited September 2016
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    I didn't know that. I am not a Mac user so I thought Parallels was just another emulator. Just try programs that you know are emulators. If they work then great!!! Otherwise you need to decide if spending money on Windows is worth play STO again. Or simply move on to other MMO that are known for providing good support to Mac Users.

I didn't really follow the aftermath of the death of STO Mac. Why didn't Cryptic give you a refund? If I recall properly, any purchases made by Mac users around 6 months prior to ending support were eligible for a refund. Was it because Cryptic could not identify which players were Mac users?

Personally after talking to PWE Support I was told it was because I used an emulator. Now no eligibility criteria or T&C were announced when the closure statement sprang up nor was it ever altered. It mislead MAC Users into thinking a LTS would be refunded and any Zen would be credited to the Arc acc balance to use on future products. It was only by contacting PWE Support that you were told of this info.

What was also wrong is when season 10 launched they broke the MAC Client meaning no access for any MAC user for a 3 week ? period and rather than take responsibility for a issue they created, they used that instance where helpful people here on the forums linked a wine wrapper for affected MAC Users to use to get back into the game as a way to disqualify MAC Users. Now you may say well you did use an emulator and yes I did during a period of time where the service provider could not a provide service or give any indication when/if that service will be resumed. Then several months later they removed MAC service completely but didn't acknowledge Mac users loyalty to the product or perseverance in finding our own technical solution to continue supporting the game other than a misleading statement that was not honoured when contacting support.

They acknowledged the fault at the time as it was during the Mirror Event and gave a weeks worth of tokens for the event for the missing game time. So they knew during the MAC client was outage I was a MAC user. But this isn't the 1st time I've come across this type of business practice.
    The Ferengi email promo. Being told I've won Ent-F and other goodies. No mention in the mail or PWE T&C's that it was based on location. Only when I asked PWE Support was I told U.S only for the goodies. So email was misleading and a half truth.

That's the gist of it.
    Post edited by misterferengi#8959 on
    edited September 2016
    ^^^

That really sucks.
  • revanindustriesrevanindustries Member Posts: 508 Arc User

This is so true. I was on a Mac when the Enterprise pack debacle went down, and they were supposed to give all Mac users a second chance to get it. However, I was not on their "list of Mac users," despite the fact that at the time I only owned a Mac and was running it through it and not through Parallels. They can't keep track of their playerbase worth anything

This is so true. I was on a Mac when the Enterprise pack debacle went down, and they were supposed to give all Mac users a second chance to get it. However, I was not on their "list of Mac users," despite the fact that at the time I only owned a Mac and was running it through it and not through Parallels. They can't keep track of their playerbase worth anything

Wouldn't surprise me if the old MAC client which used Cider as a port was being accidently identified by Cryptic's tracking equipment as an emulator, which technically it was and many people were disqualified due to this error. Just a theory
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    cadfael71 wrote: »
    I was disappointed when PWE quit supporting the Mac, especially since I'd paid for lifetime on the Mac. Now I find that the console and PC version are separate. Don't mind that and understand it but it means it's not a simple fix for my problem.

So since my lifetime became like a year, I wonder if PWE would allow me to use it on the Xbox?

Whaaa Whaaa gee give it a rest. You want to play use an emulator or buy a PC and stop crying. End of story.
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    cadfael71 wrote: »

Whaaa Whaaa gee give it a rest. You want to play use an emulator or buy a PC and stop crying. End of story.

And why don't you go roger yourself with a wire brush and call yourself Nancy.
  • wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Well, from a business perspective "Lifetime Membership" simply means "for as long as the game runs" or "until the player dies". It's very literal. So if you bought the membership, played for 5 minutes just before they closed the game forever, then that was the lifetime of the game and thus met the terms of the contract you purchased. They wouldn't owe you a refund.

*shrug*
    edited September 2016
    [Unnecessary, inflamatory post modded out]
    Post edited by jodarkrider on
    edited September 2016
    [Unnecessary inflamatory post modded out]
    edited September 2016
    [Reaction to a moderated post removed]
    edited September 2016
    [Reaction to a moderated post removed]
  • bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    I also suggest using wineskin. I play STO on my macbook and it works pretty fine.

A little bit of tinkering is required as you need to install STO on a linux or windoze machine then copy it over into wineskin directory. Keyboard settings must be revised, also video settings must be lowered. This might be because this macbook has only an integrated GPU. It's not difficult, wineskin has an extensive help also a 10 min youtube vid makes you a wineskin expert.

(I work on a macbook and use a few win only app that's why I have wineskin installed. And if there's wine might as well slip in a little bit of STO. I run a few STFs when noone is watching lol...)
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • I'd give Wineskin a try on my iMac, but it's so old that I doubt it would even work.