test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Costs and the Up coming consoles..

simples really..

$25 for a vesta

$30 for an eternal.

makes no difference with either PS4/Xbone..

then when I tell/say too friends get the T6 ships..

where dose that leave the T5 ships?

and when they drop the price of T5 ships...

will that be game wide?

Comments

• vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    simples really..

$25 for a vesta

$30 for an eternal.

will that be game wide?

What makes you think there's going to be a drop in T5 ship prices?

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • kapla5571kapla5571 Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    simples really..

$25 for a vesta

$30 for an eternal.

will that be game wide?

Lets see the original T6 ships were released over a year ago.
    Did we see any price drop in T5 ships then or since?

Nope no price change.

Wishing they were cheaper won't make it happen.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,521 Community Moderator
    Most T5s that have a T6 variant come with a console that is part of a set. Other than that... there are some T5s that don't have a T6 counterpart, like the Vestas, that are still just as good now as they were back then.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    I tell new players to just ignore the T5's unless they really want that console. Every one Ive told has accepted it and just gone T6.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,521 Community Moderator
    I don't see them changing anything honestly.The only thing that's really been an issue is the overlap of T5/T6 usability. Until T6 came out, each level tier had an associated ship tier. T6 overlaps with T5 now. So really it comes down to console and look of the ship.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Most T5s that have a T6 variant come with a console that is part of a set. Other than that... there are some T5s that don't have a T6 counterpart, like the Vestas, that are still just as good now as they were back then.

rattler I know..

the thing is, will you adviso too buy a T5 or a T6, given their respective costs..

and the thing is..!

if you start selling T5 ships @$15 for the consoles.

will that not create resentment?

1500 zen for a T5 ship? You do realize that is the same price as Tier 4 ships right?

By your logic, no one would want to pay for the Tier 4 refit & Tier 5 retrofit versions of the Hero ships when the Tier 6 versions exist.

Cryptic isn't simply going to lower the price of the tier 5 ships just because Tier 6 ships would seem like the better alternative.

I think we've seen by now that if people are willing to spend money for ships they want, they'll spend the money, especially if it means that they get a set bonus from having the consoles. 7000 zen for the Galaxy ships (4000 for the Galaxy pack, 3000 for the Andromeda) is worth having a set bonus.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    It only seems unusual because most T5 ships are irregularly placed at level 50. They should be leveling ships, but aren't because they break the standard by not being available at 40.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,446 Arc User
    I say buy whichever ship you like. And some folks will have particular reasons why they might buy a 2500Z/$25 ship instead of a 3000Z/$30 ship - maybe they have 2500Z left over after another purchase, for instance, and don't want to spend another $5 for a frankly marginal improvement in performance.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Only Tier 5 ships in a bundle are worth 2500 Zen. All other Tier 5 ships are worth 2000 Zen.
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    Only Tier 5 ships in a bundle are worth 2500 Zen. All other Tier 5 ships are worth 2000 Zen.

But 2000 zen is the cost of a T4 ship. Which leaves us in the same space but with a T4, T5 debate.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    T6 ship for the best bang for the buck.

T5 ship if you really, really want an iconic ship since T6 ship are all new designs that are not in any of the shows / movies.

But 2000 zen is the cost of a T4 ship. Which leaves us in the same space but with a T4, T5 debate.

Tier 4 ships cost 1500 Zen not 2000 Zen.

Small Craft/Tier 1 - 500 Zen
    Tier 2 - 750 Zen
    Tier 3 - 1000 Zen
    Tier 4 - 1500 Zen
    Tier 5 - 2000 Zen for non-Bundle ships, 2500 Zen for Bundle ships
    Tier 6 - 3000 Zen

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Should T5 Ships be $25? No.

Will they be reduced in price? No.

Does Cryptic Care? No.

They would rather just sell the T6 ships. As for T5 they justify it by saying you get the consoles and skins from the T5 versions that you can use on the T6.

Is this a valid reason to buy a T5 ship for $25? Of course not.

But they're not going to change it.
    Insert witty signature line here.

Does Cryptic Care? No.

They would rather just sell the T6 ships. As for T5 they justify it by saying you get the consoles and skins from the T5 versions that you can use on the T6.

Only buying a single ship from one of the Tier 5 Bundles costs $25. Buying a bundle is equivalent to paying $16.67 per ship and the rest of the ships are $20. So there is little chance of spending $25 for a Tier 5 ship.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

Does Cryptic Care? No.

Personally, I think a good ship costume can be worth 25 $ or 30 $. Or maybe even more. But that is not an unconditional statement. You need to actually like that costume and want it on your T6 ship. (Or accept that there is no T6 option yet and you need to fly with a suboptimal ship tier until such a time the T6 option becomes available.)

No one really needs any of those C-Store ships from Tier 1 to Tier 5.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    I think they need a new bundle system where they bundle the three ships of the same class...so a t3 valdore, t5 mogai and the t6 morrigu in a pack. That you can you can get the discount for all the skin on the ship you want. Especially on the console.
    A kind of starter pack type bundle. But I think the problem is that this would create way too many options in the store, and end up being confusing and messy. For now, the system serves its purppose by presenting low cost options - that they aren't very good options is not neccessarily apparent to a new player that is checking the prices in the store for the first time.

They'd need to spend dev time to make a more intuitive (self-help?) bundle system. And do we want them to waste time on that? This isn't Star Citizen.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    Consoles are overrated.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    flash525 wrote: »
    Consoles are overrated.

Consoles are fun. Game is easy.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1

Does Cryptic Care? No.

^nailed it
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo1_400.gif
    tacofangs wrote: »
    STO isn't canon, and neither are any of the books.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited September 2016

Does Cryptic Care? No.

Only buying a single ship from one of the Tier 5 Bundles costs $25. Buying a bundle is equivalent to paying $16.67 per ship and the rest of the ships are $20. So there is little chance of spending $25 for a Tier 5 ship.

Lets not forget that if you want to put a T5 Ship on par with T6 and end game, you are looking at more then the cost of the ship. If you want a Fleet Module, that's 500 Zen (True for both Tiers) but you also need a Star Ship Upgrade Token to go to T5U which is another 700 Zen.

You could offset some cost with a Bundle, but lets look at an example. Say you buy the T5 Odyssey bundle. We'll use the Odyssey because it's fleet level so it negates the cost of the Fleet Module.

You can buy the Tier 5 3 pack for 5000 Zen. But again, for T5U you need not one.. but 3 upgrade tokens at 700 Zen each making your total cost 7100 Zen and you get 3 Fleet T5U ships.

You can get the Faction 3 Pack of the T6 Variants for 6000 Zen for all three and they're already max tier.. as good as it gets right out of the box.

You get 3 better ships for 1100 Zen less. Yes, the T5 Variants are cheaper individually (1,666 Zen) but that's just for T5 Fleet. With the upgrade, it still puts the ships at just under $23 a pop vs $20 each for the T6.

T5 Pricing is definitely way too high. Nine times out of 10 the T5 is either the same price or actually more expensive then going with a T6 ship.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    When they have ship sales they do bundle in an Upgrade Token for T5s with the purchase of the Ship.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • mjohnson75mjohnson75 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    My personal opinion is that I refuse to spend any real money on the console version in its current bare bones state
    [img]http://i.imgur.com/6Zwj7vN.jpg[/img]
  • mas134gluck123mas134gluck123 Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    interesting, but why?
    Post edited by mas134gluck123 on
  • mas134gluck123mas134gluck123 Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    i guess they are somewhere around here