Install Arc
Options

An Apple A Day...

124»

Comments

• Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    seriously though: why are people asking for "examples" or "proof" about dentals actions when they freely admit what they do over on their own forums?

Not everybody is subscribed to SA. Not everybody cares. :)

In a game like STO goons need to put a lot of energy into their hoaxes in order to get them to pay off.

Fleets are formed, channels are made and memorials are organized. It’s all part of a show most applaud for even though they are not really watching.
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    iconians wrote: »
    Oh, also I had some really fun times with the Word of Lowtax on MWO before I also came to the conclusion that company was equally as incompetent as Trion. I'm not sure if they "deserved" their reputation though, but their forum presence was always entertaining.
    You were playing MW:O once? It's astounding that the game is still around. I am tempted to go back just to check it out. Almost.

I played it back when it was advertised as a "thinking person's shooter", involving concepts like information warfare and battlefield tactics with a team. However, once they decided to lower the bar and dumb the game down in order to attract new players (I.E. people who shouldn't be playing a "thinking person's shooter" to begin with, and probably have more money than sense), I figured if I wanted to play that kind of game, I'd just go back to playing Star Trek Online.

Still, it had promise once upon a time, and I did enjoy playing with Word of Lowtax, as they were one of the primary groups who made up House Liao (to the point many people assumed an entire drop full of people from House Liao were automatically goons), and they had the right amount of condescension, wit, and mockery that made communication on the MWO forums entertaining to read, and I think I was invited to one of their TS parties once or twice.

I do check in on the official website every once in a while, even though I'm permabanned from the game itself (I did a chargeback and had all my money refunded because I disputed that the game was not as advertised once they introduced 3PV and the other radical changes they made that told me just where they were going with future game development).

It's pretty much all supported by whales at this point, after seeing the pricing on their packs. I get the impression the player numbers are pretty dismal and I think Word of Lowtax (and many others) had it right that the game's honeymoon was over with and got out while the getting was good.

I see similarities between the groups in STO, as Dental has shown they're capable of keeping Cryptic and other players on their toes, instead of allowing people to get settled into complacency and stagnate. Word of Lowtax did much of the same, and I think MWO's dev team went out of their way to lure Word of Lowtax into the game. I think Mittani pulled his support for MWO a while ago, so I'm not even sure if there are still goons in MWO in any large number.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Oh, also I had some really fun times with the Word of Lowtax on MWO before I also came to the conclusion that company was equally as incompetent as Trion. I'm not sure if they "deserved" their reputation though, but their forum presence was always entertaining.
    You were playing MW:O once? It's astounding that the game is still around. I am tempted to go back just to check it out. Almost.

I played it back when it was advertised as a "thinking person's shooter", involving concepts like information warfare and battlefield tactics with a team. However, once they decided to lower the bar and dumb the game down in order to attract new players (I.E. people who shouldn't be playing a "thinking person's shooter" to begin with, and probably have more money than sense), I figured if I wanted to play that kind of game, I'd just go back to playing Star Trek Online.
    I never felt it was about dumbing down the game (well, 3PV was), and more that they simply couldn't do it. The team left a bad impression on me. I wasted a lot of time analyzing balance and stuff like that. (Though I see it as a "positive" waste - it was fun, involving math, I learned stuff about Excel... Even if it was pointless. But it's a computer game, what else would it be.)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    When they put those gold mechs into MWO the goons started team killing anyone they found in one, and the company got serious about punishing TKers.

That's actually pretty hilarious.

I never felt it was about dumbing down the game (well, 3PV was), and more that they simply couldn't do it. The team left a bad impression on me. I wasted a lot of time analyzing balance and stuff like that. (Though I see it as a "positive" waste - it was fun, involving math, I learned stuff about Excel... Even if it was pointless. But it's a computer game, what else would it be.)

I thought they'd have solved the problems of balance a while ago. Like, it was pretty much a given that mech combat shouldn't come down to who can shove the most PPCs and Gauss Cannons on a chassis, but that's really all the new mechs came down to for a long time. It was a positive "waste" in that I learned a lot about what companies shouldn't do with game development, and it taught me more about just how brutal the game industry is and how game companies are pretty much racing to the bottom of the IQ chart to make their games as appealing to as large of a customer base as possible, and that most of the people they're marketing their games to tend to be really really bad at video games to begin with, and game development tends to reflect that.

I think that was their main problem. They wanted to create a legitimately difficult game to play that required more effort on the player's part than just pointing the crosshairs at the bad guy and pulling the trigger until one of you are dead. However, in an oversaturated video game market where challenge is being passed over in favor of mediocrity, it just isn't feasible. They couldn't simultaneously have a difficult game while at the same time drawing in the revenue you'd expect from a video game where your typical player has no idea what they're doing (even 3-4 years later) and just wants to throw in money so they have something pretty to look at.

In that instance, I think MWO is doing well. They got their wish of making a niche game that only a small number of people play, but I think they missed the mark on bringing quality players into their game. Word of Lowtax was one of the more vocal groups who wanted to save MWO from that mediocrity, since I had the impression they wanted an actual challenge instead of just steamrolling PUGs in hilarious one-sided fights, which is what the game shaped into, and showed no signs of deviating from that state.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    ednahax101#5140 ednahax101 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    When they put those gold mechs into MWO the goons started team killing anyone they found in one, and the company got serious about punishing TKers.

That is pretty much nothing.The Fountain War in eve (war won by the goons) even has a book.The way that was won is more complex than anything that can be done or was done in sto ,swtor ,mwo or archage (even thou blocking newbie area with a huge ship at launch was a funny as hell)

...and then there's that TRIBBLE rain in the interview from few years ago lol
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    Out of curiosity, how does one ERP in STO?
    There are fleets with this theme? And the weird stuff happens in their fleet chat?

Never understood this.
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    The problem, for some people like me, was that their disruptive activity wasn't restricted to ERPers as they claimed, but also targeted any regular RPer they could get their hands on. There's also the whole Nimoy memorial thing and others like it, but... *shrugs*

Whether they've improved in the years since then (the incidents I'm referring to were pre-LoR) is something I can't comment on - the experience taught me to steer clear of social zones wherever possible, or at the very least avoid mentioning that something's happening in one to avoid detection.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    Out of curiosity, how does one ERP in STO?
    There are fleets with this theme? And the weird stuff happens in their fleet chat?

Never understood this.

For the sake of all of us, please just leave that one alone... some of us don't want to know.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    Okie dokie......yeah, STO should be a clean responsible G rated environment like Disneyland. All the worldly problems should stay outside the gates so we can take a vacation from them while playing.
  • Options
    stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    Well... I'll settle for PG-13. ;)
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • Options
    spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    What ever happened to that guy named xeon? From xter1ty?? I think that was the name of a guy who was often in ESD battling it out with dental. Did he get banned or just left the game? No naming and shaming here, just wondering what ever came of that situation. Of course I don't listen to Esd zone chat much any more, so maybe it is still going on?
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    i saw him at a dental giveaway event on risa (i think two summers ago)ranting in zone like a tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy nut.

druk/repetitiveepic and i forget the other person manning the giveaway basically just kept offering him more and more free stuff if he would come join them or turning his words into advertisements for the giveaway. then started saying he was sponsoring the giveaway, and that his fleet had received all sorts of free gifts from them. which got him upset enough he wasn't entirely coherent. it was quite entertaining. i forget the specific quip but i lost a pvp race by going out of bounds while laughing. i didn't even get anything and it was still my favorite in-game giveaway event.

i do wonder what happened to him.
  • Options
    ednahax101#5140 ednahax101 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    nabreeki wrote: »
    I'm not sure what happened to him, honestly.

I killed him on esd awhile ago and he threat to report me.Clearly he did not because he could read what i was saying in the chat.He died about 30 times till he figured out how to leave esd.
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    huh, thanks for the backstory Nabreeki, i had been wondering about it for a while.

That explains why he really lost it when the conversation mentioned his fleet.
  • Options
    He posted a long manifesto on the STO forums accusing the developers of being part of a huge conspiracy with 'psycho bullies' in the game and demanding that they be investigated and a bunch of other crazy stuff and got a forum ban for it. It wasn't his first crazy manifesto offense.

After that he pretty much disappeared. I miss him :( Game will not see his like again. The malefactors of today, like the dude who keeps making all the forums accounts because of his sloppy obsessive hatred, are just a pale shadow of X. They aren't interesting just banal. X was a true original and there was never a dull moment.

X had intricate, surprising, well-thought out delusions and a style of expression all his own.

While some of the trolls' MO is just to get hammered and make a fool of themselves, X would spend a long time 'researching' and then composing a manifesto or new line of argument against his imagined enemies, then release it to the world with great fanfare, only to be met with laughter rather than applause, and thus begin the cycle again.

25ZgKwM.gif​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    Closing on the request of the OP.
    /Closed
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

This discussion has been closed.