test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

An Apple A Day...

Comments

• tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    Well... that answeres why it all sounded familiar to me... :p
    Yup... I've run into Goon in Archeage too... not quite the same reputation as Dental or EVE-Goons...
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    I have a few goons on my Steam friends list from various games I've run into over the years, and as Nabreeki said, they usually don't have anything in common with the EvE Online goons. They just have enough money to pay Richard Kyanka to use his forums, that's about it. Some are cool, some are jerks. Just like any other community of people.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • umformtechnik#9538 umformtechnik Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »
    I have a few goons on my Steam friends list from various games I've run into over the years, and as Nabreeki said, they usually don't have anything in common with the EvE Online goons. They just have enough money to pay Richard Kyanka to use his forums, that's about it. Some are cool, some are jerks. Just like any other community of people.​​

yes i agree that some are cool. but it is also true that these goons seem to develop a certain type of reputation in most of the games they play. that is not just some magic coincidence. common types of behavior result in common types of reactions from multiple gaming communities.
    I have a few goons on my Steam friends list from various games I've run into over the years, and as Nabreeki said, they usually don't have anything in common with the EvE Online goons. They just have enough money to pay Richard Kyanka to use his forums, that's about it. Some are cool, some are jerks. Just like any other community of people.

yes i agree that some are cool. but it is also true that these goons seem to develop a certain type of reputation in most of the games they play. that is not just some magic coincidence. common types of behavior result in common types of reactions from multiple gaming communities.

I agree it's not a coincidence.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    Hence my comment at the top of this page... that shared reputation isn't always a good thing.
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    For me I have seen both what they have done, and were capable of doing. I may not approve of SOME of the methods dentists employ, but I do agree that they are a benefit. But that's the good thing about living in a free country, They don't need permission from anyone to have a good time. (And Protect us from the plaque.)

I promote the NoP channel when a new player asks where to go to get something, and if I see a Dental on Risa or Drozana I'll run over and drop a celebratory sphere on them. To share the Joy as it is. I attended the Nemoy event but stayed back a respectful distance so as not to dance when I wanted a somber moment and ran into the spheres range after. I unfortunately missed the Anton event. And when I see something that needs to be shall we say interrupted in the public spaces I'll send for the Professionals.

oh and OP, Look up Starfleet Dental on youtube. Dental episode 1 A Brush with Death is my Favorite.

Nebreeki? How's Dear Leader doing? You guys haven't mentioned him in a while.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • gazurtoidgazurtoid Member Posts: 423 Arc User

Yeah, I have an SA account that I use every so often so could technically be classed as a goon. But I am not a part of Dental, and I have never played EvE. In addition, all the goons I know that *do* play EvE are not part of Goonswarm but have/run their own guilds.

SA is an extremely large forum. Just because some folks or subgroups on it may be/have acted like jerks, it doesn't mean you can hold the rest collectively responsible for the acts of people they have never met/had anything to do with.

I mean, I don't hold all the folks on the STO forum collectively responsible for the acts of other STO forum members - such as those who repeatedly break the Terms of Service by registering sock puppet alt accounts to bypass forum bans. But I am sure that no-one here knows anything about that.
    you must not be aware of this but dental are goons. "goons" are people from the somethingawful.com forums. they play lots of different games. they go by the name "starfleet dental" in this game, but no matter what game they play or what their guild name is in that game, they are all goons from the same place.

yjkZSeM.gif
    edited August 2016
    nabreeki wrote: »
    "most of the games they play." Besides Eve, which is well-founded, and the small minortiy of players on STO, please list all other games that have "the reputation" you speak of. Unless, of course, you were just generalizing for effect.

Hm, I wanna say Warbros on Warframe had a pretty well-founded reputation for irritating players. I know I used to play with the goons on Age of Wushu and got many hilarious private messages from people who thought I was one of them (to be fair I really was a jerk in that game so it was natural to ally with the goons), and when I played Archeage briefly I know the goons had a bad reputation, but honestly that game was so horribly mismanaged by Trion that it made PWE look competent by comparison, so I can't really blame the goons for taking advantage of that honeymoon game.

Oh, also I had some really fun times with the Word of Lowtax on MWO before I also came to the conclusion that company was equally as incompetent as Trion. I'm not sure if they "deserved" their reputation though, but their forum presence was always entertaining.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    *puts on his best Jim Nabors impression*
    Gosh, Golly... You betcha!
  • spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    I have run into the main dental guy Nabreeki several times. I always found their 'trolling' quite entertaining. Really some people take the game way too seriously. I can't link it, but their version of disco inferno is one of my favourites. I am sure Nabreeki could link it. A very very small minority of STO players ever have any problem with them. But there have been some epic battles I am sure. Of course most erotic role players have a different opinion of dental.
  • puckerbrushpuckerbrush Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    Dental has become a legend entrenched in the culture of this game- the source of all good and evil.
    M6SiKbG.gif
    Please spay and neuter your Caitians
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    You have to understand that the creation of the NoP Channel financially ruined certain individuals who used to charge players for base invites, fleet invites to buy fleet ships, fleet marks donations, among a myriad of other things that are now free thanks to the channel. Some of these individuals still lurk and post. They have a massive grudge as their ability to scam as been severely hampered by SFD.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • rahhmirahhmi Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    ...to recap...

Goons. Goons are never a good thing tho.

Starfleet Dental - the FED Fleet
    Nerds Of Prey - The KDF Fleet.

There's like 6 people that hate Starfleet Dental and usually get 10 or more usernames banned per thread for posting anti-dental propaganda and agreeing with themselves. They generally fall into 3 categories...

The Ruined Entrepreneur
    When Fleets hit Tier 5, many of the larger fleets charged lots of ingame and reallife funds just to get access to fleet gear and ships which you also had to cover the cost of. NOP/SFD started the NOP Public Service channel to combat Microfleets and Fleetless people not having access to these items. By using the channel, you can get instant access as if you were a top contributing fleet and you really only have to cover the cost of the item. The German Fleet DIE BROT offers a similar service for the same reasons. Regardless, a few former Barons who lost both ingame and reallife money over this have vowed vengeance on SFD for helping the community, and at least 2 that I know of frequently post anti-dental material which you've probably read, often across multiple usernames.

The Public ERPists
    The short version is that there were a number of Orion "Prostitutes" who would engage in public erotic roleplay on Drozana Station (most of them have moved to Risa, unfortunately). They would frequently solicit people they found to be underage, and often depict R-Rated chat conversations in [Local] and [Zone]. Starfleet Dental took it upon themselves to "clense" this type of behavior, and in an effort to encourage them making it more private (tells, on your bridge, in private instances, etc.) often stood near the group, put up a disco ball, or set off a smoke bomb. This of course lead to the ERPists spreading the rumor that SFD hates Roleplayers. As my ussStarchaser fleet (actually we're a crew) is part of the Dental Armada and unaffiliated Dental members have never shed a single negative opinion regarding us being roleplayers and often either joined us or egged us on, I'm personally tempted to think it's really just the public-erp they're against. Other games like Tera have become a haven for this kinda thing, but community driven actions like this in STO from Dental and other fleets have mostly discouraged it here.

The Immersionists
    There's this story circulating the internet that someone was about to be promoted to general by the Klingon Chancellor and got way too into his role.... then he showed up in the grand hall to find SFD throwing a disco party "for no reason at all" and it ruined his immersion. Yes, SFD often uses in-game items, as do almost every other player in the game, to further promote a party atmosphere at times when there is a reason to party. Add in that most SFD members have cartoon-ish AlienGen characters and a bunch of Trek-purists have decided that we're deliberately trying to ruin their experience simply by not resembling canon aliens.... .but really why even have the alien species if we're not supposed to use it? Regardless, SFD Breaks Canon. Obviously we're doing it deliberately to troll you.

Most other people simply "have heard things". Many took offense to SFD throwing a party in honor of Leonard Nimoy's life, but not everyone is morbid at a funeral. Some throw a party and celebrate someone's accomplishments. As nbreeki mentioned, he threw a Party-Celebration of Life for Anton Yelchin in a mostly-unused zone complete with prizes and there were 15 full instances of Bajor/Hathon. You'd think they did a featured episode it was so full! Obviously, this means the community isn't against SFD in general as many people we clash with were there celebrating.

Celebrations were also thrown in memory of other Trek Actors, James Doohan for instance... but as Fanboys seem to swoon less over him while obsessing over Spock to an almost psychotic level due to his relevance, I guess that isn't as offensive? We've also thrown parties for fallen Goons, non-trek actors, and even one when JJAbrahms gave up beating the Trek Horse so that he could murder Star Wars.

Many of the people above, have taken it upon themselves to spread a variety of conspiracy-theory-ish rumors such as that we're recruiting for the Illuminati or North Korea, or secretly Aliens exposing people to our customs so that our Earth-takeover will be less jarring. sometimes we're simply internet trolls.... . . . . . . . .. . . .okay. Find me in game, I'll pop up a disco ball. you can consider yourself trolled. k? Seriously. Party Poppers. Trolls are everywhere. They also start rumors that "a friend of a friend" killed themselves over us, that we TRIBBLE their computer to set off their car alarm (how would that work?), that we added fake Pokemon locations to their Pokemon Go app, that.. . . . .yeah. I'm guessing these are intended as jokes?

Generally we respond by sarcastically mocking this... or do you actually think we live in the DPRK?

Before PVP Died, SFD Often trained together in tactics and used voice chat while PVPing, and decimated other PVP Fleets simply by outplaying them with weaker gear. Naturally they didn't like this, And would likely attempt to argue that the lesser gear meant SFD was hackers too, but they simply shared targets, healed eachother, and learned when to use buffs. But this does occasionally come up as a reason someone hates Dental.

At the end of the day, it's a group of people, some of whom are the best of friends and the worst of enemies, who are part of an organization, fit into a very generalized social group, and really only have in common that they use SomethingAwful.com and have associated themselves with one of it's STO Guilds.

There's no Jekyll and Hide moments, there's no real conspiracy, and most of the time we simply exist (often times while idle and watching TV) as people self-destruct publicly simply because they know we exist. As Nbreeki frequently points out... "we don't actually even HAVE to do anything."

...or am i just deliberately wasting your time with a very long post, masquerading as an answer?
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    How is it people get fixated on a group and begin to promote all sorts of stories and events and then this group gets a bad reputation? I fully realize this is the InterWebs. So things like due process and proof and laws against libel and slander get left outside the door. Been playing this game since Feb 2012. Play for roughly an hour or so every day. In all this time, I've never witnessed a single act of some of things this group gets accused of. In all this time, the only time I've ever been harassed was some guy who kept throwing snowballs at my character while I was at a vendor on the old ESD. I asked him to stop doing so and he refused with a profanity laced response. So I placed him on Ignore and then changed instances. Problem solved and back to the game. I've no idea what Fleet he was in or even if he was in one. Don't care either.

"If you are looking for trouble, you will find it" seems to be a life lesson some people who play this game have forgotten. Yet whenever Starfleet Dental, or any of their affiliated fleets are mentioned here, people come out in droves to do the very thing to SFD which SFD stands repeatedly accused of. Namely, harrass them.

Some of the posts I've read over the years have been hilariously funny. I have a vivid imagination. I can easily picture someone sitting in front of their keyboard spluttering in righteous indignation while their shaking hands can barely tap the words out. Due to the overload on adrenaline and Mountain Dew. There have been some of these "We hates the Dentals! We hates it Forevah!" threads which I had to stop reading. My helpless laughter at them threatened a loss of both control of bodily functions and personal dignity.

Fools. On a fool's errand(s). This is my opinion of nearly all of the people who rant and scream in here about SFD. These people have done nothing at all to prove me incorrect either. Admittedly, my contact ingame with SFD or any of its affiliated fleets has been confined to specific events. The party/giveaway which Shut Up Wesley threw last being the latest one. I enjoyed myself and met some very fine people whom were intent on nothing more than having a good time while playing an online game. The Leonard Nimoy event was another. There were lots of fools who were all too ready to tell me how I was "supposed" to do the memorial thing. These fools would immediately begin to tell me where to stand, what to wear and other nonsense. When I politely and respectfully declined to do so, their attitudes and comments became hostile and aggressive towards me. Is this not the very behavior which these people contantly accuse SFD of here?

Some other questions which just occurred to me: Why would someone attempt to 'honor' Mr. Nimoy in a freakin' game? Would not a better choice be to contribute to some of the causes he supported? Or to participate with work in supporting some of these same causes? Does 'honoring' him in a particular fashion in a video game truly honor him? Or does it merely bring attention to the person doing the 'honoring'? Further, is this person doing so in a particular fashion smugly looking down their noses and thinking they are a better person than the rest of us? I'd have to say, "yes" in answer to the last question.

Trying to stop posting these walls. Because no one truly reads all of them and they get cut up into quotes by people who have an axe to grind.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
    edited August 2016
    Trying to stop posting these walls. Because no one truly reads all of them and they get cut up into quotes by people who have an axe to grind.

Nuh uh.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    You have not witnessed these acts, Thunder.

I have, and with play hours not all that dissimilar from yours.

Does that mean that your lack of eyewitness testimony cancels out my eyewitness testimony? By the same token, after all, I've never actually seen Dental giving anyone anything - therefore, using your logic, nobody should be allowed to talk about how Dental has given them stuff.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • rahhmirahhmi Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    have an axe to grind.

What spec is the axe, what Mark, and how much? I'll buy it.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    I tend to believe about half of what I see and none at all of what I hear. So I guess the answer you're looking for is "Yes."

If you did witness them and have the proof, please show it to me. It would make a nice change from all the wild accusations and over the top stories I've read over the years. All I ever see around here is hearsay. Which is not admissible evidence. Except in the Court of the InterWebs. Where things like Veracity and Truth are on permanent holiday
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    This actually kinda entices me to join Dental.

Sounds like my type of people. :love:
  • fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    They are suppose to be a medical outfit, but look like some kind of religious group. It is all working as intended as I see it.
This discussion has been closed.