test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Expectations for 2017

hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
With the Kelvin Lockbox and T6 Connie gambling promotions bringing in an absurd amount of money for Cryptic, I have certain expectations for content in 2017.
==========

1. With Cardassian ships getting visual updates, I expect more focus on Cardassian related content. Perhaps an expansion introducing Cardassians as a playable sub-faction and bringing in the Gamma Quadrant into the game. ON PAR with the Romulan Republic, mind you. Last thing we need is Agents of Yesterday 2.0. (Worst case scenario: Cardassion Lockbox 2)

2. More Trek alumni voiceovers. Let's get the big stars into the game.

3. Star Trek: Discovery related content. Hey, cross promotions can be good for the game AND the new series.

4. Exploration. Open new unexplored sector blocks so players can explore/exploit/conquer strange new worlds.

5. More fleet-related content, perhaps tied to exploration. A frontier outpost holding maybe?

6. Another ground combat revamp. Ground abilities and actions need to be more responsive to player input and less clunky. Why is STO still stuck in the dark ages when it comes to character controls?

7. Foundry updates/revamp. It's sad that the foundry was developed for another game altogether and neglected in STO. It's time to turn this around.

8. QoL pass on ALL content. KDF episode revamps.

9. End the bias towards Federation content. Cryptic has three factions but are only committed to one. Continuing to favor one over the other two will only keep STO on the path to mediocrity.

10. More updates to the duty officer system. It's been neglected for a while and some aspects of it still don't work properly following the sector space revamp, such as doff chains.
==========

2017 is looking to be a big year for STO. I'm optimistic that this surge of revenue will bring better content into the game and help transform it into the game it deserves to be.

Comments

• thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,156 Arc User
    Looking at your list ... the only one I think will happen is #3
    zx2t8tuj4i10.png
    Thank you for the Typhoon!
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Less expensive items...
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    After the stunt over the Connies and other TOS ships. All I care about now is the story. To see what else they come up with. Since that took care of the ship I really wanted.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    hypl wrote: »
    With the Kelvin Lockbox and T6 Connie gambling promotions bringing in an absurd amount of money for Cryptic, I have certain expectations for content in 2017.

Wow. Those are some lofty expectations!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    T6 Phoenix, let's do this!
  • ktonof1aqktonof1aq Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    T6 Phoenix LOL!!!
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    Personally after WG milks the lock boxes, maybe putting the tier 6 connie and friends into the zen store itself?
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    talonxv wrote: »
    Personally after WG milks the lock boxes, maybe putting the tier 6 connie and friends into the zen store itself?

jFojIBB.gif​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    ==========

1. With Cardassian ships getting visual updates, I expect more focus on Cardassian related content. Perhaps an expansion introducing Cardassians as a playable sub-faction and bringing in the Gamma Quadrant into the game. ON PAR with the Romulan Republic, mind you. Last thing we need is Agents of Yesterday 2.0. (Worst case scenario: Cardassion Lockbox 2)

Doubtful.

Because they do recordings well in advance, it is possible.

3. Star Trek: Discovery related content. Hey, cross promotions can be good for the game AND the new series.

Cryptic track recorded would suggest they probably would do this at some point in the future. Not sure about 2017.

4. Exploration. Open new unexplored sector blocks so players can explore/exploit/conquer strange new worlds.

Not in 2017. Slight chance for 2018.

5. More fleet-related content, perhaps tied to exploration. A frontier outpost holding maybe?

Highly unlikely

6. Another ground combat revamp. Ground abilities and actions need to be more responsive to player input and less clunky. Why is STO still stuck in the dark ages when it comes to character controls?

We already had 8 or 9 ground combat revamp, we won't be getting another, this is as good as it gets.

7. Foundry updates/revamp. It's sad that the foundry was developed for another game altogether and neglected in STO. It's time to turn this around.

Updates but no revamp, especially for 2017.

LOL!!!

9. End the bias towards Federation content. Cryptic has three factions but are only committed to one. Continuing to favor one over the other two will only keep STO on the path to mediocrity.

Buahahahah!!!

10. More updates to the duty officer system. It's been neglected for a while and some aspects of it still don't work properly following the sector space revamp, such as doff chains.

The DOFF system hasn't been neglected as far as I'm concerned. I doubt anything major will be done with it, just stuff added to it at best.
    ==========

2017 is looking to be a big year for STO. I'm optimistic that this surge of revenue will bring better content into the game and help transform it into the game it deserves to be.

Response to each point in bold.

I have no clue where you got even half of this from. This sounds like more of a wishlist than anything. Unless you have sources to back up most of this list, I say most of this doesn't happen.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • ktonof1aqktonof1aq Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited August 2016
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »
    talonxv wrote: »

jFojIBB.gif​​

I'm not saying it's likely, but hey who knows.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • talientalien Member Posts: 712 Arc User
    Expectations usually lead to disappointment, especially here. We'll probably be lucky to see another set of lockboxes, a few featured episodes, and another cstore mega pack for whatever expansion. An exploration revamp would be nice but I'm not holding my breath.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    The revelation that Tribbles are the final and ultimate enemy of STO. Klingons have a strong aversion towards being controlled by other races. Tribble mind control waves would explain Klingons' hatred towards Tribbles and why they felt it necessary to bomb the Tribble homeworld from orbit until some Starfleet Officer went back in time and doomed the future.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    The revelation that Tribbles are the final and ultimate enemy of STO. Klingons have a strong aversion towards being controlled by other races. Tribble mind control waves would explain Klingons' hatred towards Tribbles and why they felt it necessary to bomb the Tribble homeworld from orbit until some Starfleet Officer went back in time and doomed the future.

The Trouble with Tribbles 2: This Time It's Personal.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    ==========

==========

1 ) Not going to happen if anything it would wind up like AoY or DR a cheaply done tutorial, when they released LoR this game peaked , it will never be that good again, they are focusing their resources on the console version.
    ( I thought you were joking at first glance , tbh playable cardassians have become a running gag)

2) Always a chance at that delta rising kinda broke the ground for trek alumn VOs , so it wouldnt be a shocker

3) I doubt it tbh with it being CBSs' Pay per view show, i doubt they want to risk any spoilers that we dont pay them to watch.

4) Doubtfull they wont put that amount of resources into a revamped exploration content, while they have a console version to make and cater to.

5) Not gonna happen just a sad reality

6) See number 5

7) Maybe but doubtfull

8) Rofl .....wait your serious? :D

9) Ok put down the crack pipe, because that is one serious pipe dream ya got there

10) Why do that when they got a shiny new admiralty system in play.
  • hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    I expect more nickel and diming whist broken things are ignored, with new things added that cause more things to be broken.
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    ==========

It was almost 2 years in between Delta Rising and Agents of Yesterday. I'd say before we get a Gamma Quadrant in the game, we have to have the story push in that direction, which will take time. Reminder of what the previous expansion releases entailed:

LoR: Before we got this, we were pushed into introducing a new group of Romulans that welcomed help from the Federation and the Klingons. this served as the backbone for them introducing the Republic.

Delta Rising: We had more content story pushed content pre-Delta Rising than LoR had. We had Season 8 which opened up the Solanae Dyson Sphere and the Voth, Season 8.5 drew us ever closer to the Delta Quadrant with opening up access to Jenolan Dyson Sphere & a second encounter with the Undine/Species 8472. Once the hatch was opened to the Delta Quadrant, all we needed was Delta Rising and the push to end the Undine conflict for a while.

AoY: The lead up to the third expansion had quite a bit to it. 1st, we needed to have time travel introduced. As the Iconian war expanded to all three major quadrants and they had yet to introduce the Krenim, they had a good starting path for their story to go once they could introduce time travel. Once travel through time was possible, Season 11 was introduced and slowly gave us more time traveling missions and also introduced us to the Na'kuhl, pushing us towards opening up the Temporal cold war arc.

Based on these patterns, we have to have them bring the Gamma Quadrant back as a major focal point. A good point of this could be that the Dominion may want something from us since they came only after the Heralds had invaded their quadrant. Sela would probably have to play a part in this since somehow she convinced them to join the fight at Earth.

This one is a given, though who we get is a matter of question of availability. AoY is likely the last official time we'd get Chekov in the game so I wouldn't count on any of the TOS actors doing the game (not even Shatner).

Obviously if we get a push towards the Cardassians and/or Dominion stuff, it would be good to bring in Andrew Robinson (Garak) or Mary Crosby (Natima Lang) for Cardassians, and either Jeffery Combs (Weyoun), Salome Jens (Female Changeling, replace her voice in the 2800 series) and possibly René Auberjonois (Odo) if we are to bring in these actors. It all comes down to who they can get in the end.

This is a rather interesting area since Discovery's first season is supposed to be Pre-Kirk. We would need them to introduce something into the series that we could have as a new enemy, otherwise it's going back to Agents of Yesterday.

As for cross promotion, that's tricky to do given the circumstances of the different development times. We know they were in talks about getting the stuff from Discovery into the game, but it's going to be a tricky thing to do cross promotion since the only way it could happen is if the devs get advanced knowledge on what's to come in the series.

Since you tied these together, I figured I'd comment on them together. Exploration has always been a big issue in any space game. When we had the Genesis generated engine with the pre-season 9.5 content, the missions were predefined from a list and maps would be generated from the library that existed in the files. It got repetitive after a while and sometimes nonsensical with the species.

I know the Devs have been working on some kind of exploration system. The only problem with this is that you have to come up with something that makes you feel like you are actively discovering something in the game, yet at the same time keep it from getting too repetitive, which is the problem the old system ran into. Even something like No Man's sky has problems of repetition.

A fleet holding if they ever expand the game to incorporate an expanding galaxy beyond what we have now is crucial, not to mention something that usually happens in the Federation since they want to have a hub where repairs can be managed and trading can happen without long travel times. A fleet holding could be a good thing or maybe some kind colony system as well.

This could use dev focus, but I don't know when they can fit it in, if they even have considered it at all.

Said game has had quite the neglection towards their Foundry as well. The problem is once again that it requires the devs to devote time on the schedule to fit this in.

We're getting to the point that content revamps are running out as far as episodes. Bringing Down the House and The House Always Wins had updates to accommodate Michael Dorn being included for voice work, but visually, the missions that he's involved in require a graphcal update pass since they're still fairly old. Keep Your Enemies Closer and Second Star to the Right, Straight on 'til Morning require a major update to them since they are old missions without voiceover and still using old assets in the game. Same goes for the Fek'Ihri arc since those use pre-First City visuals and look very old with respect to the game.

The Breen arc I heard mentioned as a good point of revamp potential, as it is younger content than the Klingon missions mentioned above, but still shows its age in respect to the game's missions (plus, so many characters don't have voices). Spectres has had several passes on it due to some of the revamps that occurred in general (Drozana revamp for LoR, voiceovers added for portions of the episodes, though some still lack voiceovers (maybe for the logs in Skirmish) and obvious content polishes for the Cardassian ship, should an expansion come out with those interiors.

Another series that while not as old as Spectres or the Cold War arc is the 2800 series. There's voice over that's needed in the game, particularly in Of Bajor, and in terms of characters introduced, you can find Sarish Minna in Ops along with the now defunct Captain Gorah, but Minna is no where to be found during the missions, showing their age. You have a talk going on about the Borg in Second Wave between the Federation (represented by Shon and Kurland), the Klingon Empire (represented by Ambassador S'tass of the Gorn), Deferi Ambassador Surah representing a STO original species (and likely the first time you meet them) and finally Rugan Skyl, the representative of Cardassia. You're missing a representative of the Romulan Republic since they are just as much allies and have dealt with Borg problems.

Unfortunately, the franchise has always been directly told from the point of view of the Federation and as such is likely to change since more people are familiar with the Federation and Starfleet. AoY had the most focus on the Federation stuff since at the time of TOS, both the Klingon Empire and Romulan Star Empire were very lightly fleshed out on, but now have stuff to draw back on.

I expect Doffing to get a pass when the devs plan on bringing focus to it for the console version (since I think it was said Doffing was not going to be a launch feature of the console versions).
    ==========

I think we're to the point where we want them to deliver expansions that feel like an expansion a long the lines of LoR and not like AoY where we get 10 episodes (5 of which are TOS faction only) and one more compared to Delta Rising at launch without the patrol wrapper missons. Delta Rising at least felt big as an expansion when you consider the upgrade system, the level cap raise, the new specialization system and Tier 6 ships plus a new sector block and all the species they added really felt expansive. AoY didn't have that same feeling.

However, I think we still have stuff in 2016 left to look for, as we're at the end of August and 4 months for them to deliver something wonderful for the game (assuming they are working on the next season now).

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,117 Arc User
    My expectations for 2017:

Couple of events, maybe one in summer, one in winter, one around spring during the anniversary. Also some event queueing, possibly Crystalline or Mirror Invasion. Also a new season with a few featured episodes, a new rep system and two or three new queues (one may be ground). New lockboxes with new ships, a few new ships for the Z-store, and I wouldn't be surprised if we got a new spec tree.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1

That is some gooooood TRIBBLE you smokin... makin you full on delusional
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo1_400.gif
    tacofangs wrote: »
    STO isn't canon, and neither are any of the books.
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    kavase wrote: »

We already had 8 or 9 ground combat revamp, we won't be getting another, this is as good as it gets.

This could use dev focus, but I don't know when they can fit it in, if they even have considered it at all.
    They are making tweaks and changes to ground combat for the console release. We are supposed to get those changes. I don't know if it will be in 2017.
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    jcsww wrote: »
    Tier 7 ships to help further their need to part players with their money.

True that.

2017 ,I expect my visits to this game to be even less than 2016. Which saddens me, when this was my favorite game a few years ago.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    I am expecting a couple of LoR sized additions to the game this year. 30 unique missions each at a minimum.

New free systems to play around with. No more reputations or additions to Admiralty and doffing, as those are pretty much already over saturated.

Of course there will be more cash grabs, but what is new there?

One addition: More temporal ships in the cstore, as I have money waiting for a 5/3 weapon Battlecruiser/Dreadnought, that has a hangar!
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    I expect the OP to be disappointed in 2017.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    more grind
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    bergins wrote: »
    I expect the OP to be disappointed in 2017.

A bit mean of you to be negative, as pigs could indeed fly. Just got to give them the chance...
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    I like, I expect 2017 to come next year after 2016.........maybe a little later........wicked.

* passes back crack pipe to hypl *​​

Crash dont forget if its leap year or not lol
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,446 Arc User
    My expectation for STO in 2017 is that it will keep running. I have no further expectations, merely hopes. Makes playing the game a lot more fun, if I don't set myself up for disappointment before I even log in.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • robyvisionrobyvision Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    I expect the game to turn 180 and became all about pvp.
  • renegadeonlinerenegadeonline Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    One thing I'd like to see in 2017, if not sooner, is perhaps an Enterprise themed Lockbox. Sure, we've got the NX class Tier 1 ship, and the Enterprise bundle, but nothing to really enjoy at the late game stage. Now I'm no fan of Lockboxes in general, seeing as they quite often require a hefty investment for even a shot at one of the main prizes, but I could get behind an Enterprise themed one.

Something that might include a T6 NX class, for diversity sake it could have access to another skin themed after the alternate Enterprise from the Season 3, Episode 21 "E²". Maybe even give us an actual NX bridge, with Engineering access, command centre, weapons bay, etc. If you want a Lobi Store or lesser drop T5 option maybe a Mirror Universe NX variant. Perhaps even a 22nd Century style Shuttlepod for the collectionists. And as ground gear goes, you could add some EM-33 Pistols, or even some of the MACO Particle Rifles, or both. I mean, let's face it. Enterprise MACOs had some of the best looking weapons of all the Trek series combined.

Just something to think about.