test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Shatner's admission.

talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
If you guys didn't catch it, Good old Bill had this to say about the star wars vs star trek rivalry, and this time, I think he's right.

http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1543080/why-star-trek-wouldnt-exist-without-star-wars-according-to-william-shatner

Basically had Star Wars not had the success it had, I also think ST wouldn't of gotten the revival it did.
afMSv4g.jpg
Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1

Comments

• kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    Star Wars: "Star Trek, I am your father!" Star Trek: "Nooooo!"

Sorry, had to do it :P! But that is well said on his part. I haven't always had the highest opinion of Shatner but it's rather true in my opinion.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    Yeah... not much of a revelation. There was not much interest in Hollywood to make sci-fi movies until Star Wars brought that genre to the forefront. If Star Wars flopped, then Hollywood would have been disinterested in that genre.

CBS decided that Star Trek: Phase II would have been too expensive to produce for TV. Without the release of Star Trek: TMP and subsequent movies, there likely would have been very little interest in producing other Star Trek TV series like ST:TNG.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    It's quite true that Hollywood had given up on sci-fi. That's one reason why the Powers That Were at 20th Century-Fox were willing to let Lucas retain the marketing rights for his little sci-fi flick (the greatest corporate blunder this side of Decca turning down the Beatles in 1962).​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    It's quite true that Hollywood had given up on sci-fi. That's one reason why the Powers That Were at 20th Century-Fox were willing to let Lucas retain the marketing rights for his little sci-fi flick (the greatest corporate blunder this side of Decca turning down the Beatles in 1962).​​

Yeah they kicked themselves for that one. I remember a behind the scenes when they were talking about screening it in Tokoyo. When the film was finished there was dead silence. The producers were like "UH OH WE F'D UP!" Till one of the Japanese guys with them who spoke English told them "No no no. That's literally the highest praise in Japan when a theater is stunned silent."
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • ashrod63ashrod63 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    Then Doctor Who would have reigned supreme over the world of sci-fi.
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    and here i thought he was finally gonna admit to having a tribble on his head lol
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    didn't George Lucas at some point state that Star Trek was among the Sci fi shows that inspired him? And the in return the success of Star Wars recindled the corporate interest in Star Trek. Chicken and the egg situation in my opinion.
    Go pro or go home
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    talonxv wrote: »
    If you guys didn't catch it, Good old Bill had this to say about the star wars vs star trek rivalry, and this time, I think he's right.

http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1543080/why-star-trek-wouldnt-exist-without-star-wars-according-to-william-shatner

Basically had Star Wars not had the success it had, I also think ST wouldn't of gotten the revival it did.

Agree wholeheartedly. Before Star Wars' monstrous arrival (1977), Sci Fi was a bit on the niche side. After Star Wars, everyone wanted in on Sci Fi. That was Gene's ticket to bring his franchise back with TMP (1979). With Star Wars' arrival, it helped bring in a wave of Sci Fi. Let's not forget also that Battlestar Galactica (1978) was able to be made in the wake of Star Wars success. The 1980s were a huge haven of Science Fiction, both good and bad.
    LOL all that money $$$$$
    XzRTofz.gif
    Battlestar Galactica was made, in fact, specifically because of the success of Star Wars. Networks were scrambling to be the first to get a TV show like that on the air; that's why they were willing to either ignore or simply not notice Glen Larson's liberal intermixing of the new show with LDS theology.

TMP was made because of that, too; all the studios wanted in on the action, and someone at Paramount remembered that they had the movie rights to Star Trek. You can tell what a hurry they were in by the script commissioned for the movie, drawing heavily upon the (unfilmed) pilot for Star Trek Phase II and the TOS episodes "Obsession" and "The Changeling".​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    baudl wrote: »
    didn't George Lucas at some point state that Star Trek was among the Sci fi shows that inspired him? And the in return the success of Star Wars recindled the corporate interest in Star Trek. Chicken and the egg situation in my opinion.

Yup, Star Trek did Bespin first

STCloudMinders.jpg

And George Lucas borrowed the concept for the Empire Strikes Back.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »
    baudl wrote: »

Yup, Star Trek did Bespin first

STCloudMinders.jpg

And George Lucas borrowed the concept for the Empire Strikes Back.​​

Wow! It's actually surprising how similar the two look when you think about it.
  • tiekosoratiekosora Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    that's why they were willing to either ignore or simply not notice Glen Larson's liberal intermixing of the new show with LDS theology.​​

What the actual...
    18EOWbV.jpg

They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part.
    tiekosora wrote: »
    that's why they were willing to either ignore or simply not notice Glen Larson's liberal intermixing of the new show with LDS theology.

What the actual...
    You hadn't read about that? The Lost Thirteenth Tribe, "Kobol" as an anagram of "Kolob", a number of other aspects... Of course, there was some of the then-popular "Ancient Astronauts" stuff thrown in as well, along with the names of the Twelve Tribes being taken from mangled astrological names rather than Hebrew, but I guess he didn't want it to be too obvious, in case someone at ABC actually noticed.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png