test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Pandora's Gift

pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
The lab was quiet, and dimly lit but for pools of light over the consoles and tables, in typical Sphere Builder fashion.

Only a quiet hum disturbed the silence.

~Morrigan "LaughingTrendy"

Comments

• Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    That's pretty cool.

Hmmm ... I can't help but think some of these other universes are going to be ... "annoyed" with us should they ever realise our universe caused all this.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,390 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Both good to see not all the Tuterians are complete monsters ready for genocide and sad to see the others are even bigger monsters than I thought.

“Further, were those people real? They existed outside of our reality. Therefore, they are, to us, by definition, unreal. And we didn’t deliberately destroy their universe. It was simply an effect of our experiments."

Horrifying.

I hope we'll get to meet Romal and help him.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    A neat refutation of the Myriad Ways and pointing out they also deserve to exist. I doubt we'll get a chance to save Romal, but I hope we can carry his intentions forward.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    finndalifinndali Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    These guys make the Iconians look like Boy Scouts...
    Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.
  • Options
    megawolf0megawolf0 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    Guessing they are blind by their desires that they don't realize they became monsters. Reminds me of the Voth a little whom aren't types to cause genocide, but are so set in their ways they don't compromise or think.
  • Options
    rimmarierimmarie Member Posts: 418 Arc User
    wait, wasn't the Delphic Expanse gone by 2410?
    Archer destroyed it sometime in 2154
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    rimmarie wrote: »
    As it was an artificial construct there is no reason to believe it can't be recreated.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    As it was an artificial construct there is no reason to believe it can't be recreated.

Unless the area is still called that.
  • Options
    sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    megawolf0 wrote: »

Unless the area is still called that.

Which it seems to be, given that that is how it's marked on the sector map.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    The new Nelen Exil?
  • Options
    Guessing they are blind by their desires that they don't realize they became monsters. Reminds me of the Voth a little whom aren't types to cause genocide, but are so set in their ways they don't compromise or think.

Except we, the Alliance, are as much to blame for the conflict with them.

We found a sphere. They found a sphere. It belonged to neither of us and then we started fighting for control over it. The Voth mainly wanted to harvest something from the Sphere and we had the arrogance to tell them they couldn't do that, as if it was ours.

The Federation may be right in these conflicts, they may not, but at least they should start considering the possibility that they may not be right. The sheer arrogance of the Alliance can be somewhat frustrating sometimes.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    risian4 wrote: »

We found a sphere. They found a sphere. It belonged to neither of us and then we started fighting for control over it. The Voth mainly wanted to harvest something from the Sphere and we had the arrogance to tell them they couldn't do that, as if it was ours.

The Federation may be right in these conflicts, they may not, but at least they should start considering the possibility that they may not be right. The sheer arrogance of the Alliance can be somewhat frustrating sometimes.

The reason we didn't want the Voth to have it was because the Omega Molecules are extremely dangerous and would present a threat to us if the Voth use them callously. (Which basically means: "at all")

It's a bit like you and your neighbor finding a few subcritical masses of Uranium, and your neighbor says he's going to bang them together to take care of the moles throwing up those mole hills all the time and ruining his garden. You might have to intervene and take away those rocks before something really bad happens to both of you.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    patrick702patrick702 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    awesome! can't wait to see what comes of this.
  • Options
    also.. we kinda know what the Voth were planning to do..... Create subspace rifts.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    daviesdaviesdaviesdavies Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    Somehow temporal agents always transfer armforces from another timeline to fight battle
    But you never see any temporal agents try diplomay ( which we seen a lot in TNG )
    Somehow Daniel has never tried to get Ghandi onboard, or Surak or Spock (talk is boring so kill 'em all right!?)
    Instead Daniel just keep bringing peasants from the past into battle
    and then give them some weapons and tell them to fight
    "
    the one with Tox Uthat SHOOT !
    the one without Uthat, PICK it up when the other one is dead, and SHOOT !
    "
    :)

Mzd8i1c.gif
  • Options

The reason we didn't want the Voth to have it was because the Omega Molecules are extremely dangerous and would present a threat to us if the Voth use them callously. (Which basically means: "at all")

It's a bit like you and your neighbor finding a few subcritical masses of Uranium, and your neighbor says he's going to bang them together to take care of the moles throwing up those mole hills all the time and ruining his garden. You might have to intervene and take away those rocks before something really bad happens to both of you.

The Voth aren't our neighbours.

All we know is that something went wrong when trying to use the Omega particles, it caused the dimming of the Solanae star inside the Sphere, changed the Solanae themselves and possibly other things happened that we don't know of. But in this case Omega particles were used without the intention to destroy something. The Voth intend to isolate themselves by destroying subspace around their own homeworld so they seem well aware of the risks.

Either way, it doesn't concern us. What they decide to do in their own space is their choice to make, not ours.
  • Options
    Anyways, I'm hoping for my guy to like relax for say a month before the next big problem comes up.

If I remember, the stuff before the spheres took like a year in game and after that it was one thing after another.
  • Options
    sohtohsohtoh Member Posts: 620 Arc User
    Makes me wonder if we will be venturing more into parallel universes in the next story arc. Would be interesting to see which ones we would go to.
    "I'm not big on telepaths myself. I'm not big on guns either. But if everyone else has them, I want to make sure I can get my hands on the biggest one I can."
  • Options

All we know is that something went wrong when trying to use the Omega particles, it caused the dimming of the Solanae star inside the Sphere, changed the Solanae themselves and possibly other things happened that we don't know of. But in this case Omega particles were used without the intention to destroy something. The Voth intend to isolate themselves by destroying subspace around their own homeworld so they seem well aware of the risks.

Either way, it doesn't concern us. What they decide to do in their own space is their choice to make, not ours.
    EARTH is the Voth homeworld. The region they were planning to create rifts in was not Voth territory alone, but contained dozens of other races. The Voth's actions would have destabilized such a wide swath of space that dozens of planets would be engulfed in the shockwaves they created. There's no telling how many billions would have died from the initial detonations alone.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User

EARTH is the Voth homeworld. The region they were planning to create rifts in was not Voth territory alone, but contained dozens of other races. The Voth's actions would have destabilized such a wide swath of space that dozens of planets would be engulfed in the shockwaves they created. There's no telling how many billions would have died from the initial detonations alone.

To quote Spock "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options

Yeah ok but you know what I mean. The world the Voth are currently residing on.

I'm curious where you got that bit of information about other species in their territory from?

And yeah, it would have been risky. But were the Alliance's time travel experiments any different? It caused the whole thing that's the subject of this new blog...

The rest is also speculation btw. There are methods to safely use omega particles. The whole thing was very unclear anyway. When Janeway visited that planet that experimented with it, it seemed that only that particular planet had been affected so the damage doesn't necessarily involve large parts of subspace.
    • Options
      hawkyenarasumashawkyenarasumas Member Posts: 35 Arc User
      An excellent story, and I feel compelled once again to echo the sentiment that such writing deserves to be experienced in-game.
      ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
      Admiral Hawkye L. Narasumas
      Commanding Officer, NX-91883 U.S.S. Harmony - Prometheus Class Custom Variant
      Fleet Commander, No Fate

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
    • Options
      psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
      Damn, those Sphere Builders are nasty.
      NJ9oXSO.png
      "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
      -Thomas Marrone
    • Options
      tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
      *grasps his head as the momentary disorientation fades...*

I... I sense a... wait, I almost have it... I sense a future Shpere Builder Doff on the horizon, as a give a way... Yes?

Otherwise, nice read... Thank You kindly. :)
    • Options
      sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
      Considering the fact that the Sphere Builders ide within days from entering normal space, I don't think a DOFF or BOFF is going to happen....unless we are instrumental in reversing the effects of the "accident".
      Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
      KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
      RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
      RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
      TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
      Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
      Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
    • Options
      keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
      edited August 2016
      Looks like it takes the destruction of an entire universe to turn some people around; but at least we see a Sphere Builder on a sort of a "redemption track". They are in a similar predicament as the Solanae -- after all, they tried to reverse-engineer their technology. Maybe they can work something out together? :smile:

As mentioned before, the tech the Sphere Builders possess is based on "the work of the Solanae", who are an Iconian servitor race. This blog shows us a new perspective on the true power the Iconians have in their hands. Maybe what we consider the "Iconian Empire" on the starmaps is... just a province? Maybe LESS?! They can't do time travel but there are alternate realities and dimensions too! And countless more galaxies in normal space! Just how big the Iconian Empire is, really?! *dizzy*
      Further, were those people real? They existed outside of our reality. Therefore, they are, to us, by definition, unreal.

Let me get this straight... Let's say I live in an apartment block - a modest flat on the third floor. Let's pick another flat, say... five floors up. Going by that quote, then the family living there, the life they built there, is not real because they exist outside my apartment?

May be a bad analogy, I know, but it's the best I got off the top of my head.

Their existance is mentioned to be "extra-dimensional" at this point. Shouldn't this state allow them a better perspective and understanding of the multiverse than most could ever hope to achieve? If you can detect it, observe it and prove its existence, then it has to be real! Heck, you can even draw some conclusions from the structure! If an apartment block consists of 10 floors, then it's pretty safe to assume that there is a 7th floor somewhere, just to bring up another silly example. That quoted line is pure ignorance to me. Or rather, to be more precise, it's the disregard of the potential loss of countless lives.

There has to be a point where these people just... let go, and move forward.

Awesome read :smile:
      :+1:
      Post edited by kelettes on
      "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
      -
      "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
    • Options
      aleaicaleaic Member Posts: 352 Arc User
      An excerpt right down my own warped way of thinking. :)

Really hope this means we get to meet a Sphere Builder soon. (Or what's left of one.) Also could be a sense of the next 'real' conflict, to replace the Iconians. Something of something has gots ta. :open_mouth:
    • Options
      lordinsanelordinsane Member Posts: 274 Arc User
      kelettes wrote: »
      Looks like it takes the destruction of an entire universe to turn some people around; but at least we see a Sphere Builder on a sort of a "redemption track". They are in a similar predicament as the Solanae -- after all, they tried to reverse-engineer their technology. Maybe they can work something out together? :smile:

As mentioned before, the tech the Sphere Builders possess is based on "the work of the Solanae", who are an Iconian servitor race. This blog shows us a new perspective on the true power the Iconians have in their hands. Maybe what we consider the "Iconian Empire" on the starmaps is... just a province? Maybe LESS?! They can't do time travel but there are alternate realities and dimensions too! And countless more galaxies in normal space! Just how big the Iconian Empire is, really?! *dizzy*
      Assuming the Iconians of one reality have enough connections to the Iconians of other realities to form a common Whole, definitely a lesser province. One of the galactic realities the Sphere Builders destroyed was dominated by the Iconian-Dominion Alliance, and it is unlikely to be the only one in which the Iconian permutations stand stronger and more geographically extended than in what we tend to perceive as the Prime reality.

It seems unlikely this will lead to a Boff mission reward or something like that (as even the story points out, it's unlikely he will even get to someone that he can speak to before dying, let alone getting to Earth and surviving long enough for someone to figure out a way to alleviate the dying issue), but if it does, I hope it comes coupled with a boff slot giveaway or something like that. It gets kinda cramped with the obligatory rewarded ones and the various other mission rewards...
    • Options
      warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
      And yeah, it would have been risky. But were the Alliance's time travel experiments any different? It caused the whole thing that's the subject of this new blog...

The difference is when the Alliance learned of the consequences of the Annorax experiment, they stopped it and found another way. And sought to prevent others from making the same mistakes, eventually leading to the Temporal Accords.
    • Options
      lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
      I'm going to play devils advocate her and defend the sphere builders perpective, not because I agree with it, but because it has interesting philosphical implications.

In an universe of infinate universe in which each possible choice we make causes or could cause a new universe to branch off.

So when the sphere builders destroyed that universe by accident, it likely split into like a reproducing bacteria, in one nothing is left, but a thin atmosphere of hydrogen atoms.

In the other those people continue to exist unharmed as if they'd never existed.

Thanks to time travel and multiple realities STO is drifting beyond its usual black and white moralty and enyering into blue and orange moralty.