test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

No more recruitment type expansion events please

While these events have tons of benefits,there is one thing that is a total drawback,having to replay every episode again.This might be less annoying to the players that haven't been with STO long.for those of us that have been playing for years,and have actually payed money for more character slots,it is a long time consuming grind.Yeah I know that's what they want.nothing better to get people to play the game more then to make them redo every level,some levels you have to do three times if you want the complete set of rewards.Now when I think expansion,I envision new content for your established main character to enjoy,not here's a handful of new episodes for them,but here's also a new character for you to waste days playing old content with a nice piece of candy for you to find.I would like use my main character more to play the game daily then keep making new characters each year.At least they could make it so we can skip through all those long cut scenes.I'm not playing all these episode to catch up on the story line.

Comments

• Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    No....its fine. We'll need one for only KDF next time, then in two years we'll have one for the Cardassian expansion.
  • Options
    plaztikman64plaztikman64 Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    Speak for yourself please. I'm considered a long time player, got a couple of toons and played most of the missions many times. I welcomed and enjoyed this expansion very much because it's actually been a while since I created a toon (delta rising) plus I could play the missions one after another which was a much better experience rather then waiting for a mission to be released, play it and wait for the next...

Nobody has forced you to do anything, especially not in a way which you'd consider as "grinding" :)
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    I think a KDF recruitment event would be nice. It'd give Cryptic a reason to make the TNG Worf hair, beard, and baldric an account-wide reward.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    They have two now, imo they should just turn these back on anytime they want to do another recruitment event, and leave additional expansion factions as separate from this.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    I think the main thing is do the stuff you like....let the rest come later.

I am focusing on getting the Epic level DOFFs and extra XP from Admiralty unlocked for all my characters....which is my preferred part of the game.

There is no lock out to the rewards after making the character a Temporal Agent.

There is no need to rush through it all in a week (my friend did this...but he likes speed leveling it, I don't). I finished my Delta Recruit just before Risa started this past summer...that was 1 year to finish one recruit.

And don't have to do it ALL, either.

For Delta Recruit...everyone else was insistent about making one for each faction to grab ALL the rewards, I only made KDF and Romulan. Never made a Fed, ended up deleting the Rom.

Oh well, didn't get all the rewards....Oh, Boo Hoo! <--sarcasm
    I kept my sanity, thank you. And did not lose my enjoyment of this game.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    I disagree with the OP, I like them
  • Options
    geekguy79geekguy79 Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    I don't see the problem. If you don't like the event, then don't do it.
  • Options
    shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 527 Arc User
    I was kind of hoping they reintroduce the Delta recruit thing again as I missed that one and had alot of fun with the AOY recruit.
    "There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I also disagree with OP, I enjoyed both events. The idea above to have KDF and Romulan specific ones is a nice one though as also mentioned they could just re-run the Delta event which has some Romulan and KDF specific unlocks.

Remember that there is NO DEADLINE to finish the leveling up and episodes. Some people are confused and think they need to speedrun, but STO did not require that for either event. You just need to progress enough to get your Temporal Whatsit before the event ends.
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »
    I think a KDF recruitment event would be nice. It'd give Cryptic a reason to make the TNG Worf hair, beard, and baldric an account-wide reward.​​

2 mil dil each in the dilithium store. :p

I'm not against a new recruitment event, if this is something like AOY.
  • Options
    alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    As long as they keep providing free character slots with them I don't mind.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • Options
    angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    Thanks to the mission revamps, it's a lot more doable than before them. :p

Oh, the old Cardassian arc...
  • Options
    tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    angarus1 wrote: »

But now you can never again get to the top of Tribble mountain...

• Options
    talasivaritalasivari Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    I was kind of hoping they reintroduce the Delta recruit thing again as I missed that one and had alot of fun with the AOY recruit.

Agreed. I enjoyed (and am still enjoying) AoY - I had hoped for another Delta event because KDF.
    Urtlolev of the Andorian Imperial Fleet
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    tc10b wrote: »
    angarus1 wrote: »

But now you can never again get to the top of Tribble mountain...

It's too bad they couldn't easily shuffle off the bad old missions into some dark corner where they would still be accessible for nostalgia's sake and for pain-loving completists :)

• Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    OP, I totally disagree with you when it comes to these recruitment type events.

1) The event is not solely made for your benefit. The whole idea of having a subfaction expansion w/ a recruitment event is to give new players a way of being able to start the game with a new character and get helpful account rewards in the process. Yes, the event can be done also by older folks, but that's so we don't feel left out on rewards we can't earn.

2) Agent rewards will still be here when the event ends. If you don't want to run through the old missions and learn tidbits on the Na'khul and how they might have meddled with history to encourage how events in the episodes unfold, you don't have to. No one is forcing you to play your character.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    At first I was kinda hesitant on doing it all over again. But I really enjoy my AOY. I still have my Delta to finish as well. It would have to be a good reason for me to do it again.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    @gholendhor you don't need to do it ! i am playing sins f2p and still enjoying the levelling processand episodes. more frequent recruitment events plz
  • Options
    claudiusdkclaudiusdk Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    Long time player here, played since closed beta.
    Lifetime subcriber.
    Played KDF before they had content.
    Ran the STF before the rep system was even added and got the omega gear the old hard way.
    Never missed an event. Got all ships, and gear.
    Spend both time and money on getting gear, ships, costumes.
    etc... long list of stuff..blah blah blah...

Anyway, old player here. And...
    I really enjoyed making a new character and leveling it up. Was fun to see the new content (even if it was very little new content, and no new ships as you level up like the romulans had), aswell as seeing and feeling how much some of the old content have changed.
    All the account-wide stuff I already had unlocked helped a great deal in leveling up and making things easyer. Never felt like an annoying endless farm.
    Even the rep groups was easy getting up in tier, just had to make some rep sponsorship tokens, and claim the bonus mark rewards from the last recruit event, aswell as the reward marks from this recruit event... I have barely even needed to farm marks for the diffrent rep groups other than running a few for elite marks for some stuff I want.

I've been feeling a tiny bit like this game wasn't moving anywhere for me, but this expansion and the event actually revived it. O_o

"Please, Captain, not in front of the Klingons."
    Spock to Kirk, as Kirk is about to hug him.
    Star Trek V: "The Final Frontier"
  • Options
    knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    OP, you'll live. These events are designed specifically to draw in new players and as long as it accomplishes that purpose, it was a success.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    Don't play the event then OP. If it's too much of ordeal learn to live without whatever benefits you would have had if you did. I have little appreciation for the summer event. I don't enjoy playing them and as a consequence of my choice don't have any event ships. I have yet to author a, "Burn Risa to the Ground" thread in the forums as a result of my choices. Happy Lohlunat.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• Options
    kontarnuskontarnus Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    OP, don't play the recruit event and you won't feel like you're engaging in an onerous activity.

Get ready for Gamma recruits in a year or two.
    "Intelligence is finite, stupidity is infinite" -- Umberto Eco
  • Options
    gholendhorgholendhor Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    Well,some people can be happy with 10% new content and 90% replay.Telling me not to play it if I don't like it might sound justified in your mind.Just remember that is the opposite of what PWE wants me to do.This was all designed to get us to add X amount of hours in playtime.You go from logging on an hour a day to do administrative maintenance on your character(s),to replaying several episodes a day taking maybe an extra hour or more.Now If I just had not made an AOY character and just played the new episodes on my main character.It would have occupied me for two or three days for said episodes,then back to the routine.
  • Options
    horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    That's a different discussion. Existing content in a new wrapper is a poor substitute for new content. If you don't want to play the new content without some kind of prize or compensation then the fresh content isn't worthwhile. If your alternative is, "the routine" then why do you take issue with recycled content in the first place? Left to your own device you choose to do the same thing.

Cherry pick your arcs if you can't hack other people getting stuff when you aren't; It doesn't have to be all or nothing. The Cardassian arc is tedious and unbearable. The Delta arc isn't even on the table for AoY; No reward. Why play at all? You could encourage pointless arguments on the forums while demonstrating you don't know what you are talking about.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• Options
    gholendhorgholendhor Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    Don't think people understand constructive criticism.Suggesting that maybe not all players want to replay every episode each year even with all the benefits seems to have made many take it personally.Just trying to get the message that maybe new content,and expansions should make you want to play your main character more,not make you make another character and replay everything.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    well... your input was duly noted and... disagreed with.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg