test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Gold Spammers and You

Hiya, ppl.

Just got in from work and I logged in. The very first thing waiting for me was a game email from someone usernamed @asmodeus1928. Yup. another bloody gold seller. Clicked on Ignore and fired off a rocket at the InvisiGMs. Wrote in caps because I am tired of these guys.
I know we're not supposed to name and shame here but I do not think this protection should extend to gold sellers. If I'm wrong, the Mods can send me a warning or ban me. I don't care. I've been warned and banned before on the Internet. My standard response to such actions is to go outside and play. No Interwebs there and I remember how to amuse myself from back before there were computers.
Yes, I really am that old, lol.

::: puts away soapbox after stepping down:::

Then, I got to seriously thinking about what I can do to protect myself from these people. It's My Account so it's My Responsibility.
First off I can check my Privacy Settings to ensure they are set so that only Friends and Fleetmates can send me stuff. Like everything else in this game, Privacy Settings can be reset to Default by a Patch or other change to my account. I need to check them more regularly. If I am exposed because I am not vigilant then it becomes my fault. No one else's.

"Well gee, Thunder, this is useful for those of us who use the Offical Forums here. But what about all the people who don't come here or use Reddit and Twitter instead, like the Dev Team does?"

I am going to ask a favor. I should not do so but I am going to ask anyways. Spread the word as many places as you can as often as you can.
Start with your Fleetmates and contacts within the game. Encourage others to do the same. I don't think it needs a drum banging every five seconds. However, as long as the gold sellers think they can get away with it, they'll keep trying. Let us be proactive in our defense of ourselves from these low life scummy dirtbags.

Wrote it, Meant it. And if it gets me banned, so be it.
A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.

Comments

• coruunascoruunas Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    It might just be coincidence, but it seems like I get mail spam after I buy or sell keys on the exchange. Maybe some sort of Anon buying or selling or bind on purchase option to prevent gold spammers from flipping?
  • bigsleep#7702 bigsleep Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Thanks for the info
  • jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    Same thing happened to me when i got ad blocker for my browser
    Suddenly all the horny women in my area where no longer around
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    edited June 2016
    Anyone notice that the site being advertised to us changed?
    Think we got rotating gold sellers or the previous one got shut down?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • trejgontrejgon Member Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Anyone notice that the site being advertised to us changed?
    Think we got rotating gold sellers or the previous one got shut down?

I never payed that much attention to them tbh... ;p

EDIT: oh look after postingthis I've logged to the game - and guess what was sittign in my inbox? ;p
    Post edited by trejgon on

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Elenortirie_xSmall.png
  • scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    I just click report and than thats it 4 me

gold sellers r in every MMO i believe?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    That's not really new. Besides, it's just a minor annoyance, really.

I say, just delete said mail, mute the sender and report the account to a GM. Not sure it is much use, really, but at least you do what is right...

PS : I tend to do the same thing for people sending me friend requests out of the blue and without even asking first. Take it as a fair warning, everyone :smile:
  • tessaravejgantessaravejgan Member Posts: 276
    Been a while since one of these threads was made. Anyway just report them and thats it. Not much else anyone can do.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Oh, the horror there was an ADVERTISEMENT in your mailbox! Quick, call the cops and the FBI and then bury the mailbox so nobody can send any more. Tell everyone to bury their mailboxes! Must defend against the apocalyptic horror of junk mail.

>:)
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    We have all reported gold sellers over the years. The dancing bots of brand new accounts being made by gold farmers. I firmly believe that in the point, inaction on Cryptic's part gives credit to allowing the gold sellers ability to sell.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    Let us be proactive in our defense of ourselves from these low life scummy dirtbags.

Well you're not a bigot are you?

I think I'll take the "low life scummy dirtbags" over the "people" on these forums.​​
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • starmanjstarmanj Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    I am getting a lot of those mail lately too
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    They seem to crop up more when a new expansion is about to come out. I've had one or two in the past week. I reported them as spam and shunted them to my ignore list.

I also get friend requests out of the blue, stupid gold sellers who then send you a /tell advertisement and then drop you. I haven't had one of them in awhile. I still am confused about why they would do that. They can't think doing something like that will bring them business.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • kekvinkekvin Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    Report as span and block
  • edrogenedrogen Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »
    They seem to crop up more when a new expansion is about to come out. I've had one or two in the past week. I reported them as spam and shunted them to my ignore list.

I also get friend requests out of the blue, stupid gold sellers who then send you a /tell advertisement and then drop you. I haven't had one of them in awhile. I still am confused about why they would do that. They can't think doing something like that will bring them business.

If it didn't bring them business they wouldn't do it.
    There must be some players who fall for the bait and buy from them.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    edrogen wrote: »
    echatty wrote: »

If it didn't bring them business they wouldn't do it.
    There must be some players who fall for the bait and buy from them.

It annoys the stew out of me when they do it like that. I wouldn't 'fall' for any ploy to go to one of their sites. All of the 'tactics' they use don't work on me. If I want zen I'll get it by legitimate means, not throw my money at them.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    True story, only ever got gold spam in my mail once a blue moon. Recently I started playing neverwinter again... now I get it in my mail every day. Definitely need to check that settings thing
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Just the perpetual game of Wack-A-Mole that all online games have. Plus being F2P means there's no bar to them making a million different accounts. Hell, I'd not be surprised if some of the gold sellers were sanctioned by the corporations under the table.
  • kianazerokianazero Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    I'll never forget one time back in City of Heroes, when it wasn't just a Gold Seller trying to sell things, it was some website trying to sell CP, and I don't mean Captain Picard.

Was the Superhero-looking-for-CP crowd that big that it warranted a spammer's attention?

In any case, I never went to the advertized website, I took a screenshot of the e-mail, reported him, ignored him, deleted the e-mail, contacted a GM, forwarded said screenshot to the provided support address and backed away from it entirely. Don't know what happened after that, and I don't want to know.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    I report as spam and move on. Gets my hopes up though as I got things on the Exchange I'm trying to sell. Gotta gear up for the new lockbox, but I'm gonna do it though legit methods and not Gold Sellers.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    Oh, the horror there was an ADVERTISEMENT in your mailbox! Quick, call the cops and the FBI and then bury the mailbox so nobody can send any more. Tell everyone to bury their mailboxes! Must defend against the apocalyptic horror of junk mail. >:)

Missed the point, dincha? Then again, maybe you did so on purpose. My point is trying to get people to be a little more aware
    of how to stop these. Because they are annoying. Not everyone who plays this game is as vocally expert as you are.

However, I can see where someone who might be a front man for gold spammers could go all hysterical in reply to my post. Some people get a little over excited when they think their cover might be blown. I can also clearly understand how someone who isn't very good at STO might be angry if the only way they have to stay afloat in this game was suddenly cut off. It would really suck for someone if all of a sudden they did not have their cheat to rely on and they had to actually achieve something on their own merits (or lack thereof) in the game, would it not?

As to the person who said, "look another of these threads.": If you're not part of the solution, then you're obviously part of the problem. Again, I truly wish all the rest of us were as expert in all aspects of STO, MMO's and Life as you so very much think you are. Planet Earth would be a paradise and there would be no starving children anywhere.

tl;dr version:
    Your posts contributed nothing to this thread. Entirely typical of both of you. So I am not surprised at all at them.
    The intent was to get people to tell others the check their Privacy Settings so gold spammers could not bother them.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • indysharkindyshark Member Posts: 1,543 Arc User
    Where are the privacy settings? I'd like to set mine as you describe but I can't find that option. Thanks