test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How would you have felt if JJ Abrams had rebooted Trek based on the original pilot rather than TOS?

lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
We all know how the reaction and impressions of the reboot have been very mixed. With many impressed by the aesthetics and cinematography but being less impressed by reimagined characterizations. Its simply the nature of a reboot, making changes to established material tends to garner mixed reactions a lot of the time.

However I got to thinking what would the fan base's reaction have been if JJ had chosen to base the rebooted universe entirely on the original pilot episode "The Cage"? Steering completely away from the TOS cast (with the sole exception of Spock) and instead making the reboots about Captain Pike's adventures rather than Kirk's.

I think this would have been a very interesting way to reboot things, you would get to revisit the classic 23rd century, while at the same time being able to stay fresh without having to trample over the classic characterizations of the TOS cast.

Comments

• Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    The new movies are in a different reality. They are not supposed to behave like the characters from the tv shows and movies because they are having different life experiences. The brief flirtation between Spock and Uhura in the early TOS episodes is now a full blown relationship in the new movies.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I think people would have complained MORE.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    Star Trek fans hate new things. TNG was hated up until Best of Both Worlds.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    TNG was "hated" until it was no longer the new thing and the haters moved on to the next new thing.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    Watch the documentary "Chaos on the Bridge". It's about the early TNG and they talk about the hate they got at conventions and that the hate mail stopped after BOBW aired.
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    *sigh* I never intended for this thread to be about who doesn't like which part of the franchise... Everyone has their own opinions on the matter, I've personally never felt the need to judge others for liking different parts of Trek than myself.

Back to the actual topic though, so is nobody even remotely interested in the idea of how a reboot focused on Captain Pike would have been? He was honestly my favorite character in the rebooted universe, so sad that he was written out before his time. With only the stuff from "The Cage" (later recycled into the two parter "The Menagerie") there was plenty of vagueness to allow JJ to define the characters in his own way and take Trek in a new unexpected direction.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Might have been interesting for some of the side characters to make an appearance at least, like the original female first officer.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Eh... redoing The Cage... didn't they already sneak that episode into another episode because The Cage was a failed pilot?

Also... They kinda did something similar with the reboot Battlestar Galactica I think. The attack on the colonies by the Cylons was pretty much the same.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    Maybe a series showing Pike and Marcus and maybe even Garth during their prime days in Starfleet. I could see it.
    Do I think the fan base would accept it over the current films? Nope. Probably the same complaints would arise
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    lordrezeon wrote: »
    *sigh* I never intended for this thread to be about who doesn't like which part of the franchise... Everyone has their own opinions on the matter, I've personally never felt the need to judge others for liking different parts of Trek than myself.

Back to the actual topic though, so is nobody even remotely interested in the idea of how a reboot focused on Captain Pike would have been? He was honestly my favorite character in the rebooted universe, so sad that he was written out before his time. With only the stuff from "The Cage" (later recycled into the two parter "The Menagerie") there was plenty of vagueness to allow JJ to define the characters in his own way and take Trek in a new unexpected direction.

It would have been great. It still wouldn't have stopped the crybabies, but nothing ever will.
    Any new ST ever will garner the exact same reaction. You can set it in TAR, post Nemesis, between TUC and TNG, between TMP and TUC, between TOS and TMP, between ENT and TOS, between ENT and the Kelvin period, the far future (29th, 31st century) whenever and they will still moan about how their one true Trek has been irrevocably destroyed by this new Trek.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    Which is probably why they haven't revealed too much about the new show.
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    You wanted to know if said reboot would have garnered as much hate.

The answer is "yes, if not more."​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    edited June 2016
    artan42 wrote: »
    ...and they will still moan about how their one true Trek has been irrevocably destroyed by this new Trek.​​

Quoted for Truth. Some of these diehard fans just hate change. Doesn't matter if its an improvement or not, they will rage against it because it is different then the "purity" of their favorite series as if it is something holy.

It gets that rediculous. Pretty sure I've said it before, but there are honestly people out there who believe that anything that Gene Roddenberry didn't have direct control over is not Star Trek. Which basically wipes out everything after TNG s2. They act like Rodennberry is some kind of Saint. While I enjoy Star Trek, I don't see its creator that way. I accept all Trek. Not just his. While he set the foundation, it is up to future generations to build upon said foundation.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    While i appreciate everything Mr Roddenberry did I find myself drawn more to Mr Meyers take on it.
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    rattler2 wrote: »
    artan42 wrote: »
    ...and they will still moan about how their one true Trek has been irrevocably destroyed by this new Trek.​​

Quoted for Truth. Some of these diehard fans just hate change. Doesn't matter if its an improvement or not, they will rage against it because it is different then the "purity" of their favorite series as if it is something holy.

It gets that rediculous. Pretty sure I've said it before, but there are honestly people out there who believe that anything that Gene Roddenberry didn't have direct control over is not Star Trek. Which basically wipes out everything after TNG s2. They act like Rodennberry is some kind of Saint. While I enjoy Star Trek, I don't see its creator that way. I accept all Trek. Not just his. While he set the foundation, it is up to future generations to build upon said foundation.

Sorry, but that's pretty stupid. JJ rehashed long established characters, characters that were "it" for the franchise for its first 20-something years before TNG even went on the air. Characters that had onscreen several years of TOS and 5 movies with them as the core group. JJ didn't need to reinvent them.

I firmly believe it would have been better off if JJ took Star Trek into a new direction instead of chopping up and recycling something that was done before. TRIBBLE TOS era. TRIBBLE TNG/DS9/VOY era. Do something new and not regurgitate, swirl around, then spit out what was done before. It was annoying watching caricatures of the TOS characters.

As for the criticism of whatever new Star Trek arose? Hell yeah, because those productions deserved it.

Please tell me "The Motionless Picture" was good stuff.

Please tell me those first 2 seasons of TNG were great.

Please tell me those early DS9 seasons were exciting.

Etc.

Quite a bit of Star Trek started off rocky but they sometimes turned it around into something good. We got "The Wrath of Khan" following TMP. TNG turned it around and became a great show, capably standing on its own apart from the TOS crew. DS9 found its groove and never let up afterwards. Doesn't always happen to turn out for the better over time, but it can.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    azrael605 wrote: »
    All Trek is good, even the bad stuff.

So you like Threshold?
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    azrael605 wrote: »
    And Spock"s Brain too.

tumblr_nkxb7o0o9y1sohofko7_400.gif
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    The concept of Spock's brain was actually very interesting. But some aspects came off as silly.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    I love all Trek. I think if we can accept some of the outrageous episodes of TOS, TNG, Final Frontier and pretty much all the TNG movies...then we should accept the KT
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I would probably have enjoyed that.

Though I still am more a fan of the idea of continuing the story where we last left it. (At the end of DS9... *ahem*)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    However I got to thinking what would the fan base's reaction have been if JJ had chosen to base the rebooted universe entirely on the original pilot episode "The Cage"? Steering completely away from the TOS cast (with the sole exception of Spock) and instead making the reboots about Captain Pike's adventures rather than Kirk's.

I think this would have been a very interesting way to reboot things, you would get to revisit the classic 23rd century, while at the same time being able to stay fresh without having to trample over the classic characterizations of the TOS cast.

I agree with the idea that the biggest annoyance of the "JJ" reboot is that he took the established characters from the TOS cast and took them in a radically different direction. To many fans, Kirk will always be Shatner, Spock will always be Nimoy, etc. Making the rebooted stories revolve around some other characters (e.g. Pike's Enterprise instead of Kirk's Enterprise) would have given much more freedom to make new stories without everybody yelling "that's not Kirk/Spock/etc.".
  • Options

I agree with the idea that the biggest annoyance of the "JJ" reboot is that he took the established characters from the TOS cast and took them in a radically different direction. To many fans, Kirk will always be Shatner, Spock will always be Nimoy, etc. Making the rebooted stories revolve around some other characters (e.g. Pike's Enterprise instead of Kirk's Enterprise) would have given much more freedom to make new stories without everybody yelling "that's not Kirk/Spock/etc.".

I actually thought the crew was pretty well cast
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    Even Bones! Casting Judge Dredd as a doctor was an interesting choice, but he's got the skills.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

I think good characters transcend their actors, and they should be revisited at some point. We do it with classic plays, with Sherlock Holmes or James Bond. We can do it with the Star Trek characters, too.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.