test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek coins are now legal tender in Canada

lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
http://nerdist.com/star-trek-money-is-now-legal-tender-in-canada/

Not that any store anywhere in this country would ever accept a $10 coin for any reason, let alone a star trek one. They'd kick you out or call the cops, claiming some kind of fraud. But they're now supposedly official legal tender.

Comments

• thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    Star Trek ... money. I feel that someone missed a crucial message here.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    A Fool and His Money are soon parted...
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »
    A Fool and His Money are soon parted...

Indeed. Case in point: the $1300 solid gold $200 emblem that sold out almost immediately. Apparently quite a few people are bad at math

• alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    Well, they're very nice coins, anyway.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Legal Tender or not... the fact that they are Star Trek stuff is enough for people. They could be proofs and people would still buy them.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Legal Tender or not... the fact that they are Star Trek stuff is enough for people. They could be proofs and people would still buy them.

Because they're loons.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    More Money than Brains...
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    People won't be buying those coins to spend. They're gonna stick them up somewhere on display.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • sarreoussarreous Member Posts: 336 Arc User

Ah, but that's the genius of it. For every time a person looks at one of these coins there's a possibility that they will think, "In Star Trek, they don't have money." Given enough time, you get this collective thought process that takes Star Trek's economy into mind. Eventually people begin questioning (moreso anyways) the use of money. With some amount of luck enough people will be inspired at the same time to take that first step toward what that coin represents. Why, in a future time that little trinket may be found in a museum with a plaque describing how, rather fittingly, this was one of the final new currencies developed before human society pushed toward a true cashless society.
    edited June 2016
    sarreous wrote: »

Ah, but that's the genius of it. For every time a person looks at one of these coins there's a possibility that they will think, "In Star Trek, they don't have money." Given enough time, you get this collective thought process that takes Star Trek's economy into mind. Eventually people begin questioning (moreso anyways) the use of money. With some amount of luck enough people will be inspired at the same time to take that first step toward what that coin represents. Why, in a future time that little trinket may be found in a museum with a plaque describing how, rather fittingly, this was one of the final new currencies developed before human society pushed toward a true cashless society.

Or they're just comemerative coins because its the TOS Anniversary this year. They may be "Legal Tender" but its all just for collectors willing to shell out the money for these coins.