test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Will Agents of Yesterday be the best expansion ever?

Comments

• hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    Dear god, the pedantic, nitpicky nerd rage. I forget sometimes that I'm on a Trek board.
  • rickpaaarickpaaa Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    It appears that Agents of Yesterday will not invalidate all my builds, and diminish my enjoyment of playing. So no, I won't love it like I loved (hated!) Delta Rising.
    giphy.gif
    Member since December 2009

• trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    Only if I can play as a Klingon and go back and fight in the Klingon Wars against the Federation, But alas, this is all for the Federation, as it makes you create a Federation character for it. This in and of itself, makes Delta Rising better, as you were not limited to one faction.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • umformtechnik#9538 umformtechnik Member Posts: 88 Arc User

the defining quote about this expansion is:

the TOS faction is AT LEAST as much of a faction as Romulans

AT LEAST

so lets see how many faction EXCLUSIVE ships, costumes, and missions they get.

Romulans get lots of faction exclusive ships.

Romulans gets lots of faction exclusive costumes.

Romulans get lots of faction exclusive missions.

he said the TOS faction is AT LEAST as much of a faction as Romulans.

so lets see if they get anywhere NEAR as much faction EXCLUSIVE stuffs as they did

the butthurt is strong with this one. Your definition is not the same one the devs use.

When devs do interviews, they are speaking to the community, not other devs. If a dev is speaking to the community and draws a direct comparison to the Romulan faction, exactly what definition is the community supposed to think they are using?
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    tom61sto wrote: »
    TOS a new faction? That's stretching the definition of faction. At 60 you're gonna be in the same ships and at the same homeworld as Fed is now, so no.

You mean level 10. :/

This.

Though according to the devs even tribble only has a very small portion of what's to come.
    But considering how hard they try to dodge the question concerning TOS "faction" exclusive content I don't expect any more than what we've seen so far. :/

Yeeeeah.

If this new faction is to be AT LEAST as much of a faction as the Romulans were, Cryptic still have 20+ TOS exclusive missions to add..
    The time frame we have until this releases, not likely.

Lets talk time frame shall we? how long do you think the devs have been working on this, before they told us squat, remember we didnt even know they were working on a romulan expansion till they said something.

Have they shown all their cards yet? maybe but i doubt it, there is a possibility of more free leveling ship missions and what not, but what they are showing us is the Pack , just like they did with LoR and just like DR.

So talking time frame i believe the devs have been working on this for quite a while, remember this is the 50th and anything but full on LoR style faction, could be a complete PR disaster for cryptic and PWE.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

AT LEAST

so lets see if they get anywhere NEAR as much faction EXCLUSIVE stuffs as they did

the butthurt is strong with this one. Your definition is not the same one the devs use.

When devs do interviews, they are speaking to the community, not other devs. If a dev is speaking to the community and draws a direct comparison to the Romulan faction, exactly what definition is the community supposed to think they are using?
    Their own definitions, not yours or those of the other devs.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • umformtechnik#9538 umformtechnik Member Posts: 88 Arc User

AT LEAST

so if a dev is using their own personal definition, not what is understood by the community, how is the community supposed to understand what they mean? especially when they won't even clarify themselves?
    how would they do otherwise?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    trennan wrote: »
    Only if I can play as a Klingon and go back and fight in the Klingon Wars against the Federation

Has there been anything done in the past 6 years of this game's development that would lead you to believe they were going to do anything like what you want?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    Looking back on it I enjoyed most of Delta Rising. I know some people were angry with the delays between missions 55-60 level but I had no issues there.

What killed it was the bloated bags of mostly HP in the advanced queues. This was designed to force upgrade purchases - zen to dil. When that dream finally dies YEARS later I can say that DR was very nice. I enjoyed seeing some old friends.

AOY will fall like the led balloon when TOS fanatics get dumped into the 25th century after 1 hour of gameplay. It's going to make DR look like LOR.

Yeah this burned my TRIBBLE. And not only that, but there are still MANY missions lacking an "Elite"-mode.

I mean, I know it's hard work making AI scripts - but it needs to be done. HP bags is just annoying.
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,184 Arc User
    azniadeet wrote: »
    ...and will the players love it?

ljP0i6.jpg
    oh boy here we go again...Can I bring in new memes now?

57067976.jpg​​
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    Only if I can play as a Klingon and go back and fight in the Klingon Wars against the Federation

Has there been anything done in the past 6 years of this game's development that would lead you to believe they were going to do anything like what you want?

No because every time they try to the majority of the Federations players TRIBBLE, complain and moan like spoiled, entitled kids, because there's nothing for them. Which in turn causes Cryptic to not do it, because its the easiest way to not have to listen to it.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Well, so far I'm looking forward to what's been announced. Might not be a ton of new missions, but some new ques and new choices for how to build our characters (specializations) and ships (gear sets) will always be welcome.
  • teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    I'm looking forward to it. It sounds like we'll get some homage to TOS, a new spin on the overall story of 2409-10 via time travel and frankly, I've always thought that Cardassians were boring so I'm glad we didn't get them as a faction. Sorry not sorry.
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg

No because every time they try to the majority of the Federations players ****, complain and moan like spoiled, entitled kids, because there's nothing for them. Which in turn causes Cryptic to not do it, because its the easiest way to not have to listen to it.

Let's dig a little deeper though. Can we get some examples of when they even tried to do something like you suggested?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    Fair topic Deet. :)

Well im 100% sure it is going to be better than DR. But hey i suspec everything would. Better not think about it. If it can compete with LoR remains to be seen. I think it will. Reason is we seem to get a much better distribution of new stuff. Back at the day you either liked Romulans (or had a desperate nukara mark fetish with close to no chance to obtain them) or you got zero new stuff. Now we get plenty of stuff for everybody.

I'm in total TOS nerd mode atm so I really look forward to the new release. My Andorian will rock the show and will be funky as hell.

@seaofsorrows: Cool sig man and nice ship! First time I have seen it as I'm not loged in via phone but mac book.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    TOS a new faction? That's stretching the definition of faction. At 60 you're gonna be in the same ships and at the same homeworld as Fed is now, so no.

Shucks...you done beat me to it! lol
    It's the first expansion I've spent money on. So it's already the best expansion ever!

Yup...to many blind fool just tossing money at this no effort expansion because of 3 simple letter Tee Ohh Ess...even though this is probably the worst expansion by far when it comes to effort and content...BY FAR!

But hey...it's TOS and it has just about as many ships as it does missions added...but lets just blindly toss our money at the screen...because who cares about quality when I can fly my nostalgic 200 year old ships around.
    edited June 2016
    lianthelia wrote: »
    when I can fly my nostalgic 200 year old ships around.

Don't you mean 200 years from now ships? 2270 is quite some time in the future from today.

Here's a roughly 200 year old ship:
    300px-Commerce_de_Marseille-IMG_5773.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    Well the TOS captains are a faction. It's called the federation. They have a few exclusive missions, ships, ect. Cryptic probably should have said it differently but I'm failing to see why all the confusion/rage. Are people really expecting to see a fully fledged out 2nd federation faction? Come on, that doesn't make any sense.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User

AT LEAST

so if a dev is using their own personal definition, not what is understood by the community, how is the community supposed to understand what they mean? especially when they won't even clarify themselves?

Nope, sorry. You are not "the community," you don't get to pick the True Scotsman definition for the rest of us.

• tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,635 Arc User
    I do hope Cryptic has an Ace in the Hole (or 2, or 4, or an entire 52 card deck of Aces) that they're holding back. I'm not seeing how people coming into STO for TOS are going to be satisfied at this point, with getting dropped into the 25th century so early.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    The only way I see this one being better, if you can level to 50-60 TOS style. Then jump in bypassing most of the Fed Arcs. With gear at the end that is Fed style and at least Mk 12.

Since I doubt this will happen. I don't think it will be the best one.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User

This.

Though according to the devs even tribble only has a very small portion of what's to come.
    But considering how hard they try to dodge the question concerning TOS "faction" exclusive content I don't expect any more than what we've seen so far. :/

Yeeeeah.

If this new faction is to be AT LEAST as much of a faction as the Romulans were, Cryptic still have 20+ TOS exclusive missions to add..

Lets talk time frame shall we? how long do you think the devs have been working on this, before they told us squat, remember we didnt even know they were working on a romulan expansion till they said something.

Have they shown all their cards yet? maybe but i doubt it, there is a possibility of more free leveling ship missions and what not, but what they are showing us is the Pack , just like they did with LoR and just like DR.

So talking time frame i believe the devs have been working on this for quite a while, remember this is the 50th and anything but full on LoR style faction, could be a complete PR disaster for cryptic and PWE.

Yup, I agree.

Judging by comments made by the devs, around 12 months , give or take for this expansion.

This expansion currently barely scratches the surface, compared to what we got with LoR.

Even if Cryptic was to release a new TOS faction specific mission every day (including the weekends) until release, we still wouldn't have the same amount of unique content available to the RR faction.
    This doesn't include testing of said missions, nor any more missions that everyone can play.

We might get maybe 3 more missions that everyone can play, or even a couple more TOS unique missions before release, but that will be it. The reality is, that what the new TOS faction has, is likely all it is getting for the foreseeable future....

What the TOS faction also has, is the recruitment event, but that is only happening for a few weeks after release, so cannot really be counted.

Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,635 Arc User
    I do hope Cryptic has an Ace in the Hole (or 2, or 4, or an entire 52 card deck of Aces) that they're holding back. I'm not seeing how people coming into STO for TOS are going to be satisfied at this point, with getting dropped into the 25th century so early.
    That is a silly line of thought because it ignores that
    A. Just because you came to STO for a ToS faction doesn't mean you cant enjoy all then on ToS stuff
    B. Theres a significant umber of ToS references in the Klingon War arc, not to mention the Devidian arc, and the "Yesterdays War" arc being added in Agents of Yesterday

A. I enjoy all of Star Trek and play all the different parts available in this game and I'm disappointed with how TOS arc ends, unless there is some major content being held back (not a few levels, but entire arcs). If someone has TOS as their favorite, as many coming in from this promotion will, having your character be recorded as dead and shoved into the future after a few levels, I can't imagine them staying. Those that like Star Trek besides TOS and are looking for a MMO game, they've probably already come to this game already if they're PC players.
    B. Stuff later on isn't going to matter much if comes after a major shark-jumping moment.
    I doubt that everyone shares your POV. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    I understand why they chose the route they did with AOY, with the 50th anniversary.

I'm not a gamer playing a Star Trek game, I'm a Star Trek fan who was attracted to the game because of Star Trek, so AOY, really appeals to ME.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User

This.

Yeeeeah.

Yup, I agree.

Judging by comments made by the devs, around 12 months , give or take for this expansion.

This expansion currently barely scratches the surface, compared to what we got with LoR.

Even if Cryptic was to release a new TOS faction specific mission every day (including the weekends) until release, we still wouldn't have the same amount of unique content available to the RR faction.
    This doesn't include testing of said missions, nor any more missions that everyone can play.

We might get maybe 3 more missions that everyone can play, or even a couple more TOS unique missions before release, but that will be it. The reality is, that what the new TOS faction has, is likely all it is getting for the foreseeable future....

What the TOS faction also has, is the recruitment event, but that is only happening for a few weeks after release, so cannot really be counted.

Ummm... I think that guy was saying the exact opposite of what you're saying there. He/she's pretty much pointing out that for having developed this for more than a year, we're probably in store for much much more.
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    New instances/ques? Cool
    New fully-fleshed out ground-&-Space Specialization? Love it
    New Renown track with temporal theme? Bring it on.
    Renown Space set that PERFECT for two of my captains? Fantastic.
    Renown Ground set that has dual pistols? About damn time. (pun not intended)
    New missions only available to TOS-Feds? Couldn't care less. The fewer the better.
    New Missions for everybody? Rock on. The more the better.
    Possibly an AR-themed lockbox including some version of my all-time favorite Star Trek ship the Nerada? Here's your $200 Cryptic, as promised.

They're about one blog post away from this July being absolutely the best STO expansion ever (IMO) and this player loving it.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Similar to the Romulan Faction? You mean get a bunch of ships, 20+ Missions, a bunch of costumes, and then they forget about you forever more?
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns