Temporal Defense Reputation

2»

Comments

• Options
    marikaoniki1marikaoniki1 Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    - ground weapons: always the same models reskinned to infinity. boooooring
    - rep traits: more choice for only 5 slots
    - sets: nothing new; always the same stuff reuse again and again. boooring

there is a glaring lack of novelty. the reputation system is a snake biting its tail. maybe it is time to create something totally new.

fortunately there is at least the dil at T5. the only thing interesting.

While they look inspired by the current Antiproton weapons, the ground weapons are DEFINITELY new models. The Dual Pistols are the most noticeable. Won't comment on the sets, since I haven't seen them in action, but, well, the limited slots is to keep things from getting ridiculous in terms of disparity between long-time player Main and newbie or alt. Seriously, I'll (and a great deal of other people) have completed all the Reputations so far by the launch of AoY (if they haven't already). Can you imagine how over-powered a character would be, under the old setup for the Reputation buffs and abilities?​​
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    well, ok maybe the dual pistal is a new model, but the 2 other are just rekinned antiproton weapon.
    Can you imagine how over-powered a character would be, under the old setup for the Reputation buffs and abilities?​​

then, maybe it is time to stop this stupid power creep. what is the purpose to add new stuff, if finally we can't use most of them.

the space gears are just a mix of existing stuff, nothing new. like i said, it is maybe time to stop to add new rep and create something new.
  • Options
    hawkyenarasumashawkyenarasumas Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »
    And thanks for finally including Dual Pistols as part of a rep set.​​

Thisssssss.
    ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
    Admiral Hawkye L. Narasumas
    Commanding Officer, NX-91883 U.S.S. Harmony - Prometheus Class Custom Variant
    Fleet Commander, No Fate

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    well, ok maybe the dual pistal is a new model, but the 2 other are just rekinned antiproton weapon.
    Can you imagine how over-powered a character would be, under the old setup for the Reputation buffs and abilities?​​

then, maybe it is time to stop this stupid power creep. what is the purpose to add new stuff, if finally we can't use most of them.

the space gears are just a mix of existing stuff, nothing new. like i said, it is maybe time to stop to add new rep and create something new.

The purpose of adding new stuff is:

1. Profit for Cryptic to keep the lights on.
    2. Hype to keep interest in the game from dropping off the scale.
    3. New stuff for new players who don't care about (or can't easily get) the old stuff.
    4. Thematically ties in with everything else STO is doing that season.
    5. New shinies for cosmetic effect.
    6. More options, more flexibility across different situations.
    7. Experiment with mixing and matching different loadouts and traits from different sets to see what happens.
    8. Any other reason I forgot.

Whatever else it is, the Reputation system is *controlled* power creep. You may get *some* of the OP options, but you don't get *all* of them at the same time. Same goes for Specializations. The point is that our characters are more modular and customizable than they were in the old setup and less likely to dominate newbies who haven't had time to build up all that TRIBBLE and would never catch up.

Anytime they add something really *new* that isn't modeled off something they've done before, the chances are pretty good that something is broken. I like the fact that they have a tried framework for adding new things because it's less likely that something is wrong with it.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    iamynaught wrote: »
    farmallm wrote: »
    Pass, no solo way to do this Rep. Just like the last one. So instead I will focus on my lower level Alts.

Ummm, if I'm not mistaken, the Badlands Battlezone is able to be completed while not teamed, as long as there are other players in the zone working towards the same goal. Perhaps not "soloable", but pretty close.

It sounds like this will work the same way the Dyson ground BZ works and the Undine Space BZ as well. You can get marks and Elite marks simply by contributing.

That is still team battle. As you can't complete the goal by yourself. Thus making it Solo. Only time I didn't mind teaming up was the Kobali last mission. Still I can still do the entire run on solo.

This is why I pass this Rep again. No Solo-able missions. I did the entire Dyson in my ship on the solo missions. Undine I passed cause it wasn't solo as well.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Well, to be fair, they did it with the Mirror Rep armor, so hopefully, they'll do it again for this one.

Really? Cool. Obviously I've been working through them in the wrong order :).

Lets hope its the start of a trend.

• Options
    shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    zulisvel wrote: »
    A space set and reputation traits geared towards "SCIENCE!"?
    Good thing.
    A ground set that includes dual pistols?
    I was wondering when this'd come about. Shalashaska approves.

w9AJvj.gif
    But wait, you can't kill the Mes- oh, wrong Defense Initiative...

On another note, I understand some have concerns with the appearance of the new ground weapons (not the set pistols). These concerns are valid, and remind me that the Nukara and Omega AP weapons could actually benefit from palette alterations to make them stand out... instead of white/red, I was thinking grey/blue for the Nukara (to match the space shield visuals) and black/green for Omega...
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    My Star Trek sense WAS tingling! I WAS right! :o

Time Agent reporting for duty, Ma'am!
    Law_and_Oracle_infobox.png

f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    Pass, no solo way to do this Rep. Just like the last one. So instead I will focus on my lower level Alts.

Ummm, if I'm not mistaken, the Badlands Battlezone is able to be completed while not teamed, as long as there are other players in the zone working towards the same goal. Perhaps not "soloable", but pretty close.

It sounds like this will work the same way the Dyson ground BZ works and the Undine Space BZ as well. You can get marks and Elite marks simply by contributing.

That is still team battle. As you can't complete the goal by yourself. Thus making it Solo. Only time I didn't mind teaming up was the Kobali last mission. Still I can still do the entire run on solo.

This is why I pass this Rep again. No Solo-able missions. I did the entire Dyson in my ship on the solo missions. Undine I passed cause it wasn't solo as well.

Welcome to the world of the MMO. Multiplayer is considered a critical aspect of the game...

On that note, Badlands / Dyson Ground / Undine Space are battlezones where you can go in solo, pick an objective point, more-than-likely solo said point (especially if instance is fairly underpopulated) and continue on till the final boss(es).

You may, or others may, decide to "ad hoc team" up and all attack the same point, especially useful in the boss segment(s) as the bosses are ridiculously hitpointed, and it takes multiple ships worth of firepower to complete the attack and earn the "elite reputation mark(s)" at a high rate of speed...

I have at least 2 alts who have allowed me to "perfect" the technique of hitting up Dyson Ground's City Power Generator (left of main door) then bouncing back to ship to poke over to Undine space and clear out the first Federation Point slightly down-right from the start area - solo, earning me the daily rep bonus enough times to complete the reputation without actively engaging with another player.

If they show up, I don't shoo them away, but if they don't, I can usually handle the areas myself...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    The only parts of space BZ where "team" is absolutely required are the final lagfest big battle, and maybe the second phase of the Badlands (Planet Killers could be soloed, at least in principle.) Due to my usual playing hours I often end up soloing a single point and warping out anyway.

That said, it's your choice to play any way you like, and if you absolutely definitely don't want other people doing things on the map alongside you... I can see your point. Maybe they'll add some kind of repeatable solo mission for the 12.5. Then again, the point that for an MMO game STO is a bit too solo-friendly is a good point too.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Yay ... number 9.

Why would the Badlands Battlezone reward Temporal marks? That's about the Terran Empire, there is no timey wimey stuff there.

Edit: Nevermind. There is a Temporal Dreadnought at one of the starbases.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Yay ... number 9.

Why would the Badlands Battlezone reward Temporal marks? That's about the Terran Empire, there is no timey wimey stuff there.

Supposedly Mirror Leeta would be in some AoY missions, and most of the new Terran tech she uses (add: according to Mirror rep lore) came from time travel, so it's actually a fairly logical choice, more logical than for the Iconian marks and Kobali, anyway.

• Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    dareau wrote: »

Welcome to the world of the MMO. Multiplayer is considered a critical aspect of the game...

On that note, Badlands / Dyson Ground / Undine Space are battlezones where you can go in solo, pick an objective point, more-than-likely solo said point (especially if instance is fairly underpopulated) and continue on till the final boss(es).

You may, or others may, decide to "ad hoc team" up and all attack the same point, especially useful in the boss segment(s) as the bosses are ridiculously hitpointed, and it takes multiple ships worth of firepower to complete the attack and earn the "elite reputation mark(s)" at a high rate of speed...

I have at least 2 alts who have allowed me to "perfect" the technique of hitting up Dyson Ground's City Power Generator (left of main door) then bouncing back to ship to poke over to Undine space and clear out the first Federation Point slightly down-right from the start area - solo, earning me the daily rep bonus enough times to complete the reputation without actively engaging with another player.

If they show up, I don't shoo them away, but if they don't, I can usually handle the areas myself...

I been playing MMOs for years now. So this is nothing new for me. My first was WoW, and it was "Vanilla" before BC.

I only have a few mins to play during the week. Thus said I like to go in do a quick and get out. That way I can build up my points as well during that time. With a group going at it, it takes longer. And you have a greater chance of lagging and making another issue. I had lag during the Dyson ground zone, which is another reason why I stayed out of there.

Granted teams and grouping is big part of the game. But there should be a solo way to do it as well. Even in Wow you could do the 5 man dungeons solo. I did that alot for auction items and transmorg gear. Also so I can see what was in there. Since leveling up you had a hard time finding groups. But that is a different game.

From some of these Reps it don't bother me missing a few. You can't use all the special traits you get. At times the gear is junk as well. Plus they don't even come with a story progression for each tier. At least most of them. This is where I really enjoy doing them. Not to be doing them just to do it. Lastly they set this one up to do it again for another Rep. Sorry I got burned out over the Iconian one. They can't be creative for a new way for the Rep. I won't do it as they failed in that area.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Yay ... number 9.

For the same reason that there are two Kobali Prime missions [ “Breaking the Wall” and “With Our Last Breath” ] that offer Iconian Marks. You know - For Reasons.

• Options
    thelunarboythelunarboy Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    jaturnley wrote: »
    Omergerd, rainbows everywhere!

B):D
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,320 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Not really into dual pistols nor into antiproton. In time I'm sure i will equip some boffs with the ground set, but it doesn't inspire awe.
    It has a nice set of tricks, but from first impressions i don't think it fits my style of combat.

Edit: typo corrected
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    I for one like the new stuff. To those who complain that the chroniton rifle is a reskinned AP rifle, the same thing happened with pretty much all the other reps...that's just what Rep ground weapons look like.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    So the base energy type is antiproton? I don't see that Chroniton torpedo de-throning the Neutronic torpedo, but I'll probably throw the array on one of my beam boats. Maybe the console.

I was really hoping for a new phaser set.

• Options
    dragonhef01dragonhef01 Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    Hmmm, missed the part about HY torp being a cluster type. Good, more for my minelayer.
  • Options
    dragonhef01dragonhef01 Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    After Tribble, I now can say: Yes, the Advanced HY cluster torp does very well at mk12. Can't wait to get it to 14.
  • Options
    iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    Okay, I do have some questions about this rep...

In the blogs it says that the queues for this (Days of Doom and The Battle of Procyon V) are for Captains at level 60. Does this mean that when we hit level 50 and can start all the other reps, we have to wait until level 60 to start this one?

Since the only way to normally get Temporal Marks are from these queues and the Badlands BZ, and the Badlands BZ and these queues are set to lvl 60, we can potentially be done and finished with the other reps before we even hit lvl 60.

Or is the blog being cryptic and it means that the Elite versions of these queues are available at lvl 60 (like usual) but the Normal and Advanced versions are available starting at lvl 50?

It doesn't say specifically so I'm just wanting to be sure just what the deal is.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • Options
    djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,379 Arc User
    Can anyone tell me (from experience on Tribble or whatever) what is the damage type of the new chroniton beam array and dual heavy cannons? I'm guessing antiproton but need to be sure so I can plan out my final build.
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
  • Options
    sgtfloydpepper#7911 sgtfloydpepper Member Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    djf021 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me (from experience on Tribble or whatever) what is the damage type of the new chroniton beam array and dual heavy cannons? I'm guessing antiproton but need to be sure so I can plan out my final build.

Yup, antiproton.
    1xe027q.png
  • Options
    Anyone know if we are ever going to see a Temporal Agent Admiralty?
  • Options
    lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited August 2016

I'm sure you've been asked this before, but hell, I shall ask it anyway: You do realize this is an MMOG, right? Massive Multiplayer Online Game.

Catering to soloplay comes as a detriment to multiplay, and the queues are dead enough as they are.
    STO%20Sig.png~original
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    djf021 wrote: »

Yup, antiproton.

I asked that question over in The Academy.

arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1220530/temporal-defense-chroniton-beam-arrays