test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Anyone experiencing long load times switching toons on Risa?

jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
For those people farming the Horg'ahn Hunt, are you experiencing long load times when switching captains?

Last year I can typically do 6 runs before time runs out. However, so far I have only been able to complete 4 hunts since time usually runs out towards the end of the 5th hunt. It generally takes 25 - 35 seconds to switch between captains since the event started.

I have tested this out on my PC and two laptops. Load times are pretty consistent (meaning long) on all three machines. From a hardware perspective nothing has changed since the 2015 Risa Summer Event except in my desktop which now has a GTX 970. Disk fragmentation is pretty decent at 6% or less.

Just wondering if I am the only one having long load times.

Comments

• Options
    rllaillieurllaillieu Member Posts: 351 Arc User
    Dude, I've had it refuse to let me on at all and then it freezes and I gotta sit there playing the orientation game with my mouse or just randomly clicking until it gets its TRIBBLE together. And then there's the times it crashes. Only once, so far, but we're only a couple days into this.
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    For those people farming the Horg'ahn Hunt, are you experiencing long load times when switching captains?

Yes, noticeably slower this year. But still 6! Holy cow! That is amazing.
    I am closer to 3, Hunt dies, start of 4th.

No, not sure why it is taking the program forever to decide which instance of Risa to spawn my captains in when I switch them. No, not sure how to fix it.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I really don't know how people do six. I'm pretty darn good at it and would need an extra 45 seconds or so to do 5.

I think one answer may be these loading times. Maybe some with incredible computers are saving the 45 seconds there, but to get 6 seems physically impossible.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    I've been getting weird hangups on switching toons too. It hasn't put a dent in my usual 3 hunt runs but it's cutting it closer than I usually do and it's a bit frustrating.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    i am also getting hang ups during loading, at least 2-3 hangups before it loads correctly, suspect it has something to do with those red lines that are drawn on the map, because when it was half loaded at the time of one hang up i saw every red line on the map in the area. before the rest of it loaded up.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    Between this and the blooming SNR's, it's becoming a real pain.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • Options
    Well, 6 would be a "perfect" run for me back in 2015 which happened maybe about 20% of the time last year. It takes a bit of prep work like positioning before the hunt even starts. Then it is also the matter of being lucky with getting the route where the Horg'ahn idols are closer together. If I get the longer route then I would switch instance before the next hunt starts. Most of the time I was able to get in 5 hunts with no problems last year with plenty of time spare.
    i am also getting hang ups during loading, at least 2-3 hangups before it loads correctly, suspect it has something to do with those red lines that are drawn on the map, because when it was half loaded at the time of one hang up i saw every red line on the map in the area. before the rest of it loaded up.

Yeah, I am guessing that the new artifact hunt could be a contributing factor. There are plenty of times when the game loads and I see the red lines you are referring to and the game pauses for a moment. Then sometimes when my captain seems to have been fully loaded, the game is frozen for two seconds or so; can't move and pressing a key to do something like open the inventory does nothing.

It's definitely annoying to be only able to do "4 complete runs" within the time limit. Yes, I know, some people would be more than happy with 4 runs. But I suppose I got it down to a science back in 2015 so being only able to do 4 instead of up to 6 in an extremely efficient run is... annoying.

I got my worst load time not very long ago which was over 40 seconds. I was listening to a Youtube video of a movie review. In the middle of the review, I switched to another captain and decided to watch the video. 5 seconds later a 30-second commercial popped up. My character did not load up until several seconds after the commercial ended (which I did not skip)...
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I'm getting hang-ups on all of mine. The load screen hangs for quite awhile at about 95, and then on a couple of them I'll see the red lines all over the place when I get to Risa and it still takes a bit for it to completely load.

I didn't think it was on my end. I really hope they can fix this. It's very annoying.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    Load times has gotten to the point where it takes over 1 minute to load on a consistent basis.

I am currently only able to do 3 complete hunts in the Horg'ahn Hunt. That's with the Lohlunat Tribble and Superior Floater on all my captains.
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    Pretty sure there's some geometry or texture bug on Risa this year...
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Just seems to be EVERYONE in the risa instance when they log on from there.

Good thing i am only doing this on one character :3
  • Options
    spacehermitspacehermit Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    Same problem here when switching characters. It seems to be worse at the start of the race - the one time it's ESSENTIAL to be there on time!
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Map loading time is roughly 3-4 times longer for me than other maps of the game. At least no crashes or SNR.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    k20vteck20vtec Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    Me too, only on Risa, it freezes for some time at 92% or so for me. Takes up to a few minute when I, say, switch toon or log in to Risa.
    Hast thou not gone against sincerity
    Hast thou not felt ashamed of thy words and deeds
    Hast thou not lacked vigor
    Hast thou exerted all possible efforts
    Hast thou not become slothful
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    For reference, there's another topic at this link made on the same day.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    During the Winter event a lot of people had problems loading their captains if the they logged out in the event world, Cryptic changed a few things to stop this from happening, and I suspect that this is why we have the long loading times on Risa, the game is trying to find an instance to place our captains without the system crapping out on us.​​
  • Options
    edrogenedrogen Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    Epic load times and playing the game sometimes impossible. Risa or not (ESD for example).
    I literally had the game tell me "SNR 178 seconds" but instances over two minutes not uncommon.
    Yes I exited the game & re-log in and the issue remains, it's not on my end.
  • Options
    auggiedog1auggiedog1 Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    Does anyone know when this issue will be addressed/fixed? We're losing time on the event...
  • Options
    saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    At least one more day (maybe more): the Devs are coming today after weekend to work, then someone will read all the bug reports, then there will be panic... and if we are lucky they will do little "fix" that will be applied on tuesday.
    And if we are really lucky it will not break the game even more...
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    Yep - pause at ~95% and then a long freeze between world-load and character-load (usually with red scanning lines all over the place).

Could manage 5 and a half runs per hunt last year, only 4 this morning (up to 90 seconds to switch between characters).
  • Options
    fusteriusfusterius Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    jaguarskx wrote: »

Last year I can typically do 6 runs before time runs out. However, so far I have only been able to complete 4 hunts since time usually runs out towards the end of the 5th hunt. It generally takes 25 - 35 seconds to switch between captains since the event started.

I have tested this out on my PC and two laptops. Load times are pretty consistent (meaning long) on all three machines. From a hardware perspective nothing has changed since the 2015 Risa Summer Event except in my desktop which now has a GTX 970. Disk fragmentation is pretty decent at 6% or less.

Just wondering if I am the only one having long load times.

I am experiencing this, too. When I log in after a very long (30+second) wait time I notice that the whole Risa area appears to be drawn over with the red lines of the Gwen artifact search mini-game. It's like all the extra time was spent drawing those lines as I'm waiting.

I suspect there's a bit of a bug with the new Risa game. Hopefully they can find this and clear it up, if only to remove the annoyance factor.
  • Options
    ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    I used to be able to do 4 characters last year with little problem, this year I'm lucky if I can do three. The sheer level of frustration of this have me only doing one character at Risa right now. If I try to do more I'm likely to throw my pc out the window.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • Options
    I can still do three hunts, though it's been cut close if the load time takes too long. Haven't managed four since I'd rather go on and wait for the race start.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    Yes, damn irritating too.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I've only crashed on loading maybe three times that I can think of. Usually it just 'hangs' at about 95% loading, for upwards of a couple minutes.

Today it was better, always less than a minute, but still longer than it should be. I hope it stays that way when it's time to get my birds and monkeys swapped out.

I should say, crashed on loading when swapping toons, not when loading game.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • Options
    auggiedog1auggiedog1 Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    Why isn't Cryptic responding to this issue? It's been happening for a few days now.....
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I don't get long load times but I have been getting 'Communications with the login server has been lost' when I exit with a logout to the Character Select Screen. The other day it was almost but not all logoffs. Yesterday was fine. Tonight was fine until I was logging out to Select Screen for the night.

It drops you to the login screen. Also, it took five attempts to log back in to the Character Select Screen, always losing communication on the attempted login.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    I have never had that. Just very long load times switching toons with the occasional CTD.
    Now a LTS and loving it.