test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Popular Support for Checkbox Polling Poll

Comments

• mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »
    Where's MC..., it's time for one of his daily "Put It In 10-Forward" posts.
    <chuckle>
    B)

harassment post number 2. go on, keep going.

and since you love presuming to know so much, my thoughts are that this poll is so biased it is meaningless.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    Yes, but also improve statistics around polling such as # of total readers, # of total voters,
    my thoughts are that this poll is so biased it is meaningless.

I would honestly like this statement explained. The default now is that the feature does not exist and will not exist. The only meaningful opinions are for support of it in whatever flavor is appropriate.

DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Stupid polls are stupid.
    Yes, but also improve statistics around polling such as # of total readers, # of total voters,
    warpangel wrote: »
    Stupid polls are stupid.

I sort of agree, and new polling features can only take a poll so far. Quite honestly there are a lot more things that can be done, but within the limits of the existing polling structing, I could only have one question with up to ten mutually exclusive answers.

I have hope for an improvement (what player wouldn't in their chosen community) and hope those that also hope this will register their opinion too.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited June 2016
    Yes, as above but each and every poll should have a flat cost of dilithium to even post.
    Each poll should come with a second 1-10 scale below it where we can rate the quality of the poll.

The original poster is charged 10,000 * (10- average quality rating) dil for posting. Great poll = free, the poll in the thread below = 90,000 dil :)

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1216687/high-zen-exchange-rate-vs-dil-sink-and-more-power-creep#latest

make polls like this hurt 50,000 * (10- average quality rating)
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo1_400.gif
    tacofangs wrote: »
    STO isn't canon, and neither are any of the books.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Yes, but I have an unspecific grievance with this idea that I will elaborate on in excrutiating depth in the comments,
    nabreeki wrote: »
    "WOH IS YOUR FAVORITE KIRK"

I can't say I've ever seen Mr. Woh play as Kirk. Was that in an off-broadway musical? :p

Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    <chuckle>
    B)

and since you love presuming to know so much, my thoughts are that this poll is so biased it is meaningless.

Heh..
    If you think that's "harassment", wait till I really get started.
    And I think you're a couple of numbers behind.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    <chuckle>
    B)

Heh..
    If you think that's "harassment", wait till I really get started.
    And I think you're a couple of numbers behind.
    B)

If you could possibly stay on topic. This isn't Ten Forward.

Still waiting on that explanation from mirrorchaos though.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    Actually this probably belongs in 10 forward since it's not actually discussing the game but rather the forums.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    The topic occupies an interesting space since it discusses extensions to how people can talk about the game through the use of different polling mechanics. I have never seen a similar thread in Ten Forward; all that discussion comes to General Discussion while Ten Forward becomes a meme playground.
    azrael605 wrote: »
    I see no option to vote No, therefore this "poll" is biased and worthless. Hence I will be ignoring it, see you on Risa Kodan.

You are already getting what you want as the feature doesn't exist. You need do nothing but move along: the feature isn't for you.
  • o yas i sooport dis
    Dissent does not matter as that's already the default, and it is essentially a control on how others post. The poll is for those that want more features in forum polling about STO.

The 11th option is there for you.
    So Polling about Polls is the topic at hand...

I vote Maybe.

Top-30-Funny-Minions-Pictures-and-Quotes.jpg
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Dissent does not matter as that's already the default, and it is essentially a control on how others post. The poll is for those that want more features in forum polling about STO.

Dissent does matter, because without it you're able to take your biased poll and say things like "100% of the people who voted supported this feature." That would be a completely true statement, but only because there was no option to vote no.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    So Polling about Polls is the topic at hand...

I vote Maybe.

Feedback I can appreciate.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Yes, but I have an unspecific grievance with this idea that I will elaborate on in excrutiating depth in the comments,

Dissent does matter, because without it you're able to take your biased poll and say things like "100% of the people who voted supported this feature." That would be a completely true statement, but only because there was no option to vote no.

It's very difficult to prove a negative. You can prove that this poll has popular support, but you can't prove that this poll has negative support. Since we've already proven this poll has positive support, then the idea of a dissenting "no" vote is already unnecessary, since it has already proven a positive.

Similarly, you can't prove telepathy doesn't exist, but anyone who says that telepathy exists must prove it. OP has proven that support for this checkbox polling exists, therefore there is no reason to try to prove non-support for it doesn't exist.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    iconians wrote: »
    OP has proven that support for this checkbox polling exists

This is really what it all boils down to. Extending forum features for the betterment of the community as a whole.

It's very difficult to prove a negative. You can prove that this poll has popular support, but you can't prove that this poll has negative support. Since we've already proven this poll has positive support, then the idea of a dissenting "no" vote is already unnecessary, since it has already proven a positive.

Similarly, you can't prove telepathy doesn't exist, but anyone who says that telepathy exists must prove it. OP has proven that support for this checkbox polling exists, therefore there is no reason to try to prove non-support for it doesn't exist.​​
    We could make a poll asking people if this poll is TRIBBLE. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User

Similarly, you can't prove telepathy doesn't exist, but anyone who says that telepathy exists must prove it. OP has proven that support for this checkbox polling exists, therefore there is no reason to try to prove non-support for it doesn't exist.
    We could make a poll asking people if this poll is ****. :p

We could, but why would we want to? This is about positive change for the forums, there's really no necessity to having that kind of poll. It just becomes a matter of opinion, not fact (which has already been proven).

To quote John Oliver, you don't need people's opinions on fact. You might as well have a poll asking: "What's bigger? 5 or 15?" "Do owls exist?" "Are there hats?"​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited June 2016
    With checkboxes, you could make a poll where people can select multiple reasons they support for why this poll may be terrible! Everyone wins.

Just for @markhawkman: Terribleness of Popular Support for Checkbox Polling Poll Poll
    Post edited by thekodanarmada#7342 on
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,272 Arc User
    Sometimes a polling question comes along that has no clear single answer. And for that reason, this is a poll to gauge interest in implementation of forum checkbox polling, where an individual can select multiple answers to the same poll.

no "NO" option...come on OP. Please go to poll 101 school.bear-28.gif​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
    storules wrote: »
    Sometimes a polling question comes along that has no clear single answer. And for that reason, this is a poll to gauge interest in implementation of forum checkbox polling, where an individual can select multiple answers to the same poll.

no "NO" option...come on OP. Please go to poll 101 school.

This point has been beaten to death. Please stop derailing.

this is why I chose a creative write-in vote :)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    this is why I chose a creative write-in vote :)

Support for this does not exist yet. Sadly, it seems a much less popular option over dilithium-mitigated polling.
    If the new poll in ten forward didn't have that one line saying a vote in said poll was a vote of support for this one, I'd have clicked the "Ban OP" option you gave.

Not that I really want to see you banned, it's just that for some reason any time I look at your signature I get the urge to buy more zen than I already have, and that could get me in trouble with the wife ...
    eaY7Xxu.png
    If the new poll in ten forward didn't have that one line saying a vote in said poll was a vote of support for this one, I'd have clicked the "Ban OP" option you gave.

Not that I really want to see you banned, it's just that for some reason any time I look at your signature I get the urge to buy more zen than I already have, and that could get me in trouble with the wife ...

You might find it was more specifically worded than you think.

Also I have no idea what you're talking about.

You might find it was more specifically worded than you think.

Also I have no idea what you're talking about.

I said I would have voted, not that I was voting :)
    eaY7Xxu.png

cfdf29cdc9201ddd05e9790a43b3bbee.jpg

edited June 2016

Similarly, you can't prove telepathy doesn't exist, but anyone who says that telepathy exists must prove it. OP has proven that support for this checkbox polling exists, therefore there is no reason to try to prove non-support for it doesn't exist.
    We could make a poll asking people if this poll is ****. :p

We could, but why would we want to? This is about positive change for the forums, there's really no necessity to having that kind of poll. It just becomes a matter of opinion, not fact (which has already been proven).

To quote John Oliver, you don't need people's opinions on fact. You might as well have a poll asking: "What's bigger? 5 or 15?" "Do owls exist?" "Are there hats?"​​

Is the Pope, Catholic?
    Do Bears krap in the woods??
    Is that Guy Hanging on the wall named, Art???
    If I sleep in your doorway, will you call me Mat????

This is fun!!
    B)