test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fed Missions - Welcome to the Milky Way, Tyranny of Hope

councilspectrecouncilspectre Member Posts: 138 Arc User
Update: The mission has been published. If you're in the neighborhood, check it out.
Update 7/24: Episode Two: The Tyranny of Hope - is published and in review!

Hi all!

I authored the No Prize for Second Contact series and have a new mission coming soon. It should be finished in about two weeks. I hope most players enjoy it!

Welcome to the Milky Way

While tasked with reconnaissance of Breen space, you discover that a small group of unknown alien vessels have been traveling through it. The Breen and the aliens have clashed several times over the last few days.

The Breen are on high alert, sending everything they have against these intruders. While they report that two of the intruders’ vessels have been destroyed, three remain and are headed towards Cardassian space.

You have made contact with the Cardassian government, who reluctantly asked for Starfleet’s aid to protect the border. Starfleet is sending reinforcements to counter the Breen if they decided to pursue their mysterious enemies into Cardassian territory.
AKA @contactpsi. Foundry Author of: "No Prize for Second Contact", "Welcome to the Milky Way", and "The Tyranny of Hope".
Post edited by councilspectre on

Comments

• uncle2fireuncle2fire Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    I was really enjoying the story you had, and I'd really like to finish it, but I died 8 times in that first battle before giving up, since I was isolating one ship and only getting it down to about 80% before having to start all over again. Maybe I'm doing something wrong/really suckish at space battles, but as of right now, I can't finish, even though I'd like to.

Ps: No, I'm not running on elite or advanced.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • councilspectrecouncilspectre Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    Hi uncle2fire,

I'm sorry to hear that. I tested the battle several times with different ships on my characters and it was difficult, which is intended. However, if it is too difficult, I'll take a look at it.

If you don't mind, would you let me know which ship you used? Also, was the Cardassian ship present for the fight?

Thanks for playing!
    AKA @contactpsi. Foundry Author of: "No Prize for Second Contact", "Welcome to the Milky Way", and "The Tyranny of Hope".
  • uncle2fireuncle2fire Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    Hey councilspectre,

Thanks a lot for replying! I was assuming it was meant to be pretty hard, and I totally understand why it should be hard (in the context of your story). I don't want you to dumb it down too much, and I know that some people always think the fights are too easy, so sorry for being part of the "never satisfied" crowd.

I'm level 53, in a FED star cruiser, and the Cardassians died just before I did for the first time, which is probably part of the reason I was having so much trouble after that. I'm definitely a more casual player, so I don't have all the latest, best gear, but I don't typically have too much of a problem with space battles. If I die once, I usually fall back to the strategy of taking on one ship at a time, which usually works out, but I just couldn't seem to bring down their shields, and by the time I did, they and their fighters had brought me down to ~50% hull, and killed me shortly afterwards.

Another thing, I was wondering if you could add in a respawn point closer to the battle? After dying, getting back to the action took long enough for them to heal their hull damage completely.

Thanks again!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2016
    Thanks for the feedback! Tuning combat can be a challenge. My preference is to have 1 or 2 battles per mission, but make them difficult so that they feel important to the story and not just a "token space battle".

I typically run the mission several times on three different characters (1 of each class) to balance combat as much as I can.

Your feedback is very helpful. I'll test out that fight with some different ships (non c-store) and see what works best. There are a few things I can tweak here and there.
    edited June 2016
    Update: I tuned the battle a bit. I did think it might be too difficult for players who are not max-level and in the fanciest c-store ship.

Hope you can finish it up!
  • rangerryurangerryu Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    Just played it overall excellent mission (as always) I did notice though at the briefing Lt Juraez (or something!) seemed to have mastered the art of levitation!
    rangerryu wrote: »
    Just played it overall excellent mission (as always) I did notice though at the briefing Lt Juraez (or something!) seemed to have mastered the art of levitation!

She is quite remarkable. Her specialty in Starfleet is hovering slightly above steps.

Thanks for the feedback!
    Hi all,

Thanks to those who have played "Welcome to the Milky Way"! I've received very positive reviews.

The next mission in the series, "The Tyranny of Hope", will be out next weekend (baring any disasters). Releasing missions right after an expansion isn't the best, but I'm gonna go for it anyway.
    The Tyranny of Hope is the second mission in the series and is now ready to play. It's in review at the moment. Enjoy!
    I'm looking for a few more reviews of "The Tyranny of Hope" to get it out of review. So far, 4 people have given it 5 stars. While 3 of those were my mom, because I'm the smartest most handsomest boy in school, at least 1 real person really liked it!
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    give me a few and I'll give it a go.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!