Install Arc
Options

Dilithium grinding

2»

Comments

• Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    Hey, I think I have a solution.

New fleet Starbase level. Massive cost. Unlocks, among other things, private living quarters on the starbase - with many accessories to buy.

Combine with ski lodges on Andoria, some sexy Orion nonsense, and a Meditation retreat on P'jem and we can bring this back!

Already been suggest countless times in many other threads. The only thing that would interest me in the slightest are new Starbase projects assuming I decide to join a fleet.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    jaguarskx wrote: »

New fleet Starbase level. Massive cost. Unlocks, among other things, private living quarters on the starbase - with many accessories to buy.

Combine with ski lodges on Andoria, some sexy Orion nonsense, and a Meditation retreat on P'jem and we can bring this back!

Already been suggest countless times in many other threads. The only thing that would interest me in the slightest are new Starbase projects assuming I decide to join a fleet.

At least 2 or 3 of those times were me! Once again Cryptic I will pay 10 million refined dilithium today for ski lodge on Andoria. Make it so!
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    I am one of those lone voices that enjoy the current rate on the dil exchange. I am in an armada with a majority of the fleets are not maxed out yet. As the free to players keep dumping large amounts of dil on the exchange I will be more then happy to buy it and fill all those fleet projects.

I personal shout out to all those pixel grinders, my armada thanks you!
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User

If you really want the zen cost to go down (which I don't, as it would drastically increase the cash price of fleet gear), then you need a stable, constant dil sink, not another holding or Starbase level that will bring the cost down short term only for it to jump back up as fleets finish these holdings.

Ideas I would have include

1) a special lockbox that costs dil to open, and has a very very slim chance (ie you'd be more likely to get the grand prize from a regular lockbox than anything from this one) at containing any lockbox or reward item that has been released so far, account bound so it doesn't devalue the regular lockboxes.

2) a token that allows you to advance reputations through NPC kills for 30 minutes or an hour, for a dilithium cost

3) temporary warp speed boost tokens and/or transwarp cooldown reset tokens for dilithium

I'm sure there are more creative players who could come up with more ideas, but to get what you want you need something that will never lose demand. Your problem is that Cryptic is more likely to charge zen for all these things instead (if they implement any of them at all), which helps people who sell zen, not people who sell dilithium.

If they do fix it for you though, I'd appreciate it if they added a less volatile way of purchasing fleet currency with zen ...
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

If you really want the zen cost to go down (which I don't, as it would drastically increase the cash price of fleet gear), then you need a stable, constant dil sink, not another holding or Starbase level that will bring the cost down short term only for it to jump back up as fleets finish these holdings.
    Fleet holdings worked as a dil sink for years. All Cryptic had to do was release another 5-tier holding when the first fleets started completing them. Holdings have failed as dil sinks only because they didn't keep up with adding new ones/more tiers to old ones.
    1) a special lockbox that costs dil to open, and has a very very slim chance (ie you'd be more likely to get the grand prize from a regular lockbox than anything from this one) at containing any lockbox or reward item that has been released so far, account bound so it doesn't devalue the regular lockboxes.
    If it would be better to open real lockboxes, it would be better to open real lockboxes.
    2) a token that allows you to advance reputations through NPC kills for 30 minutes or an hour, for a dilithium cost
    Better just put a "finish now" button on the rep projects.
    3) temporary warp speed boost tokens and/or transwarp cooldown reset tokens for dilithium
    The game already has consumable transwarp items. If anyone ever buys them. And simply picking up an episode mission allows you to transwarp pretty much anywhere for a handful of EC, so only dumb people would buy them.
    I'm sure there are more creative players who could come up with more ideas, but to get what you want you need something that will never lose demand.
    The problem with selling consumables is they're completely unnecessary. There is no demand. The game would need to be changed massively to create demand first.

That's why cosmetic things are the industry standard money sink, because more can always be added ad infinitum without concern for game balance.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »

Fleet holdings worked as a dil sink for years. All Cryptic had to do was release another 5-tier holding when the first fleets started completing them. Holdings have failed as dil sinks only because they didn't keep up with adding new ones/more tiers to old ones.
    If it would be better to open real lockboxes, it would be better to open real lockboxes.
    Better just put a "finish now" button on the rep projects.
    The game already has consumable transwarp items. If anyone ever buys them. And simply picking up an episode mission allows you to transwarp pretty much anywhere for a handful of EC, so only dumb people would buy them.
    I'm sure there are more creative players who could come up with more ideas, but to get what you want you need something that will never lose demand.
    The problem with selling consumables is they're completely unnecessary. There is no demand. The game would need to be changed massively to create demand first.

That's why cosmetic things are the industry standard money sink, because more can always be added ad infinitum without concern for game balance.

The problem with fleet holdings is their demand for dilithium essentially had an expiration date, so it requires active development to keep the market stable. If anything content related gets delayed, fleet holdings will undoubtedly get pushed back rather quickly, which leads to our current situation. That's why there needs to be a sink that doesn't expire, something that has constant unending demand, if you want a stable market.

When I mentioned a rep consumable, I was thinking low low numbers, like 1 rep for a frigate kill, 10 for a queue boss, primarily because I would simply find that more fun than clicking buttons. Adding a complete now button to old reps would certainly get a ton of cash out of me on day one, but it would make more sense on Cryptic's part I think if they charged zen for that instead, which would not help the dil market.

As I said, others can probably come up with better ideas for a sink that doesn't go away, those were just things I could come up with while working.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User

if they ever do anything like that, it'll be like it is for both NWO and CO - a special lockbox that drops vouchers you can take to a special vendor and exchange for past lockbox rewards of your choice matching the voucher you have​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    glenn#1579 glenn Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    I am surprised at the response this thread has had.

I will admit I am still grinding, to a point. Daily Quiz, Eve of Resolutions, Satellite Repair and Tour the Galaxy. The whole lot takes about half an hour.