test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Are you going to take the opportunity to improve the PC UI?

mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
So with all the talk of the nice minimalist console UI, I haven't not seen anything addressing the somewhat problematic PC UI. Is this in the works as well?

The LCARS design looks nice. I'd love to see that on PC as well (including the Rom and KDF versions).

Comments

• Options
    bobsled624bobsled624 Member Posts: 267 Bug Hunter
    Have a listen to the interview with Salami_Inferno on priorityonepodcast.com

Captain Mark Shranz | bIng 'aj Ro'Tal | erei'Riov Koval tr'Liun

"Your fun is not wrong" -Jeremy Randal@borticuscryptic

Proud Member of the Operational Support (Bug Hunter) Team
  • Options
    smithdecksmithdeck Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    bobsled624 wrote: »
    Have a listen to the interview with Salami_Inferno on priorityonepodcast.com

I feel that you could have just summarized what was said.
    Guess I'll have to take the plunge and listen it to it.....

• Options
    Skimmed a bulletpoint list in lieu of a transcript. The answer is basically "no".
  • Options
    mneme0 wrote: »
    Skimmed a bulletpoint list in lieu of a transcript. The answer is basically "no".

No???

This is a shame....
    It really needs to happen.
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    smithdeck wrote: »
    mneme0 wrote: »

No???

This is a shame....
    It really needs to happen.

OH HELL NO!
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Well technically, anything They do in the background to improve the UI for Consoles, could possibly make it's way to the PC UI down the road.

Not necessarily the "Overall Look" but the functions could be improved.

I believe I heard in one of the podcasts that this is a distinct possibility.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    ssbn655 wrote: »

OH HELL NO!

No? It needs to be updated, it's clumsy and kills game performance massively.

We are not saying that the console one should be used as a replacement, but something needs to be done to it.
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User

OH HELL NO!

No? It needs to be updated, it's clumsy and kills game performance massively.

We are not saying that the console one should be used as a replacement, but something needs to be done to it.
    One word MACROS! Learn to make and use them! Simple as that.
  • Options

This doesn't solve the major issue here, The UI while active as a whole destroys fps rates, massive unstable frame drops out of nowhere. The UI creates this frame issue, it needs rewriting.
  • Options
    dbeiswengerdbeiswenger Member Posts: 141 Arc User

This doesn't solve the major issue here, The UI while active as a whole destroys fps rates, massive unstable frame drops out of nowhere. The UI creates this frame issue, it needs rewriting.

I noticed that today. When you hit ESC and go to the menu, theres a substantial increase in FPS. Cryptic needs to fix this.
  • Options
    uliwitnessuliwitness Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    While it looks nifty, I don't think the radial menu would necessarily be an improvement for the PC version, but it would be great if general performance improvements (if any make sense) could be ported back to the PC. Also, the more transparent look of the console UI is definitely "fresher" and more modern than what we currently have, and means less of what's going on behind it is covered, so would also be neat to have, e.g. if you need to hurriedly free up inventory slots right before the next phase of the queue starts, you wanna see when stuff continues.

Another pet peeve of mine would be the flashes of the next map on map changes (particularly before cut scenes). It's kinda spoilerific to see the next map, and just looks unprofessional and broken.

And for half a year or so, the mission objectives section has been sizing weirdly for me, only showing 2 1/2 lines, and preferring the bottom section. Would be neat if it took into account how many objectives I have and automatically made the top part larger if there's nothing (or not as much) in the bottom part.

And finally, it'd be cool if more stuff could be done during load screens: Every scene change all windows disappear. It would be neat if we could make use of the time spent waiting for load screens, at the least by using the chat. Even better of course would be if one could continue doing Doff missions, R&D projects, equipment changes on toon & ship, trait selection, but I'm aware that that's often different depending on the current map (e.g. no trait changes during missions), so I'm not holding my hopes for those.
    Cheers,
    -- Uli
  • Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    [quote="crashdragon;12946334"]

[quote="smithdeck;12944810"]

A lot want Donald Trump to shut up but that's not gonna happen either.[/quote]

LMAO.... Total win!
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    They really need to work on the PC UI because it's a resource hog.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    xayssxayss Member Posts: 391 Arc User
    you guys really need to read tecnical section ppl really angry (iam one of then) because the ui got serial problem on pc ui,many problems mostly ppl asking is graphical problems espcially freezing on battle even they got good machines and low latency freezing graphics is one pain on the azz for many pppl on game
    nexus.jpg

• Options
    alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    The UI on the PC version needs a serious complete overhaul on a fundamental level, only an ignorant person or a fool can deny this.
    The performance drops it causes is absolutely horrible.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2016
    Oh God NO! the original duty officer ui was fine. Then we had the horrible Fisher price version dumped on us. That was so good and so many players liked it, that Crypric went on to release the minimised version.

Instead of breaking something else that works just fine, maybe they should focus their efforts on....I don't know, maybe actually fixing the bugs that are plaguing this damn game for a change.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2016
    The ui doesn't need working and it's the powers that cause the performance drop not the ui. Hence why cryptic have been reworking certain powers and how they impact the game.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• Options
    plaztikman64plaztikman64 Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    This thread is funny...

Who was talking about getting the console UI for the PC?!

It's about getting possible performance related improvements which hopefully emerged while reworking the UI for consoles.

The UI is causing performance issues, dropping fps on a massive scale. Just hide the UI with.. what was it, ALT+F12 or CRTL+F12 and tell me if there is any difference at all.

It's gotten worse for many people since delta rising and powers are not the main problem here but only adding to the issues related with the UI.
  • Options
    sqwished wrote: »
    The ui doesn't need working and it's the powers that cause the performance drop not the ui. Hence why cryptic have been reworking certain powers and how they impact the game.

False

The UI itself causes a very noticable performance drop which is especially noticable when opening up windows in a graphic heavy area such as ESD and other locations and situations.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • Options
    thelordofshadesthelordofshades Member Posts: 258 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    The thing is - it's not UI-design that causes the fps-drops. So simply porting console design for PC would do exactly ZERO for performance issues.

In general, having UI on your screen vs no UI will ALWAYS cause some drop in fps, no matter what. The only thing a developer could do is minimize those drops.

There are at least two main sticking points, which can cause UI associated performance issues:
    1) the software, which UI utilizes. It could be Flash, different versions of Action Script etc etc. This software could be either outdated or it could it be that its code wasn't efficiently optimized for the game's requirements.
    2) the UI interaction with back-end mechanisms of the in-game powers. It could have some coding problems, connected with the way those powers work, which cause performance drops.

We don't know exactly, to which of the possible problems the UI-associated fps drops in STO should be attributed.
    So there is ZERO evidence that console UI mechanisms will in any way help solve those problems.
    Post edited by thelordofshades on
  • Options
    isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    I honestly don't see much of a fps problem, but the UI we have is far from intuitive and new UI for the baby-gamers does look nice. I hope eventually they clean up the look on the PC. Esp the minimap area.
  • Options
    sylveriareldensylveriarelden Member Posts: 531 Arc User
    If you're talking about porting the console UI to PC- then I'm all for it as long as it's OPTIONAL and not mandatory.
    It's not you- it's me. I just need my space.

Being critical doesn't take skill. Being constructively critical- which is providing alternative solutions or suggestions to a demonstrated problem, however, does.
  • Options
    thelordofshadesthelordofshades Member Posts: 258 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    If you're talking about porting the console UI to PC- then I'm all for it as long as it's OPTIONAL and not mandatory.
    There will be at least two problems with supporting two alternative vastly UI schemes:
    1) it is unknown if their back-end mechanisms are entirely compatible. Quite likely they are not
    2) Supporting two different schemes will be a pain in the backside from the development point of view. We are not talking about few different/optional elements, which are the usual situation for UI customization. Those designs and their working principles are entirely different. It will require storing two sets of UI assets, implementation of a complex switching mechanism etc etc.

I say that console UI as a second option is entirely implausible. It is either the PC UI (with some possible modifications in future) or the console UI (and many of the current PC players will just hate that).
  • Options
    Not just the performance problems but there are numerous QoL improvements that could be made, as well as some aesthetic issues and missing functions.
  • Options
    fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    What the UI looks like on the pc is far and gone from the core problem: it eats fps for breakfast. Srsly.. press alt+f12 anywhere in the game for me it gives me a MASSIVE fps boost, and others have reported the same. It simply is not optimized very well and they just keep adding stuff to it making it worse (the reputations window for example is particularly hungry for your sweet, delicious fps).
  • Options
    sylveriareldensylveriarelden Member Posts: 531 Arc User
    There will be at least two problems with supporting two alternative vastly UI schemes:
    1) it is unknown if their back-end mechanisms are entirely compatible. Quite likely they are not
    2) Supporting two different schemes will be a pain in the backside from the development point of view. We are not talking about few different/optional elements, which are the usual situation for UI customization. Those designs and their working principles are entirely different. It will require storing two sets of UI assets, implementation of a complex switching mechanism etc etc.

I say that console UI as a second option is entirely implausible. It is either the PC UI (with some possible modifications in future) or the console UI (and many of the current PC players will just hate that).

If they're keeping the two platforms separate (which is the understanding here, considering they have not communicated otherwise) then it should be no problem to keep the coding separated. What I do not want is them to destroy the current PC UI in favor of FOTM console users who think they're special snowflakes and somehow deserve to override what's been tried, true and proven over years of development.

Don't get me wrong here- I don't hate console users. If they want to play on their consoles with controllers then by all means feel free to do so. But to intrude on PC users interfaces because they want it "their way" would be like saying we as PC users should be able to do the same with the console UI.

Two completely different interfaces- let's leave it at that.
    It's not you- it's me. I just need my space.

Being critical doesn't take skill. Being constructively critical- which is providing alternative solutions or suggestions to a demonstrated problem, however, does.
  • Options
    I don't think anyone here is advocating the console UI should be applied to the PC version, at least I'm not.
    What is being said is that the PC UI needs an overhaul of its own, a complete rebuild from the ground up, not just a copy and paste of the console UI.(though I do confess the console UI looks very nice)
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    I don't think anyone here is advocating the console UI should be applied to the PC version, at least I'm not.
    Why not?

The PC version already has option to operate it with a console controller, so I see no reason why it shouldn't also get the option of using a UI optimized for a console controller.